Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I have BEEN to the SA forum. THERE IS NO SUCH THING as "FYAD"!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I don't think you understand, Derek performed a search on that forum and nothing came up for 'Star Citizen' therefore the forum named 'The Chaos Engine' is plainly not the 'The Chaos Engine' that other guy meant.

No. Two people mentioned "chaos engine" forum. One of them has NO clue wtf it is; because if you look at his postings, no way in hell that rear end-clown would ever be let into such a forum. So THAT guy I attributed to him just thinking "chaos engine" refers to THIS forum where, yes, devs and others hang on.

The dev/media forum that the MMORPG poster (JohnP0100) is talking about, has absolutely nothing to do with that rear end-clown (see above) thinking about WHAT it is.

I don't know how else to explain this. I'm out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What I am learning about myself here is I am not a very loyal customer

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Pratt2112 posted:

I'm already feeling the pressure. I got up to get something to eat, and could feel the world racing on without me.

Worst moment of the last 5 minutes of my life.

I might never sleep again.

my advice
dont let fear of missing out on the star citizen thread control your

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Eonwe posted:

I'm not going to lie if Lord British started a kickstarter for UO 2 tomorrow I'd pledge, knowing what I know about kickstarters even

Are you purposefully ignoring https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/ or did you not know it existed? It's not UO 2 but at least spiritually similar to the original, and you are allowed to throw tons of money at Lord British if you want to

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peter gabriel posted:

What I am learning about myself here is I am not a very loyal customer

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

I'm not going to lie if Lord British started a kickstarter for UO 2 tomorrow I'd pledge, knowing what I know about kickstarters even

Isn't that what shroud of the avatar was supposed to be? Maybe? I saw something about outhouses. Also something about hilarious clusterfuck waffling into oblivion as they try to remake a game that currently exists and continues to exist.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

No. Two people mentioned "chaos engine" forum. One of them has NO clue wtf it is; because if you look at his postings, no way in hell that rear end-clown would ever be let into such a forum. So THAT guy I attributed to him just thinking "chaos engine" refers to THIS forum where, yes, devs and others hang on.

The dev/media forum that the MMORPG poster (JohnP0100) is talking about, has absolutely nothing to do with that rear end-clown (see above) thinking about WHAT it is.

I don't know how else to explain this. I'm out.

Ah right I see what you mean now, yeah you are probably right

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Eonwe posted:

agreed friend. UO owned.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maybe I am a loyal customer when the product is bad enough

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

peter gabriel posted:

All I know is one night I was shooting aliens and the next night 'Server Not Available'

I only found out the story years later, I think at the time I just moved on

Sounds about right lol.

They shut that down quick.

But that's NCSoft for ya. They're really good at shutting things down, it seems.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

do you think star citizen backers will still be able to sit in their chariots in the hangar after the game goes bust?

or can CIG also not match illfonic in this respect?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

texasmed posted:

Are you purposefully ignoring https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/ or did you not know it existed? It's not UO 2 but at least spiritually similar to the original, and you are allowed to throw tons of money at Lord British if you want to

The goon backers seem pretty disappointed in the way it has gone the last few months. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582612

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pratt2112 posted:

Sounds about right lol.

They shut that down quick.

But that's NCSoft for ya. They're really good at shutting things down, it seems.

NC Soft would have shitcanned Star Citizen after about a month of the kickstarter finishing

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

A Neurotic Jew posted:

agreed friend. UO owned.

Check out Shroud of The Avatar. It's a spiritual successor to UO, with him at the lead.

Edit: nvm, someone else already mentioned it.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

the backer sits alone in his chariot, knowing the persistence will never come
the dreams are still only dreams but the pain
it is very real

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Eonwe posted:

I'm saying tree of Savior next week

Which is kind of sort of ragnarok online 2

I'll be playing this too but never played RO online or any korean grindfest game so I wonder how long I will last. Bought the 10 dollar package for shits and giggles..if nothing else the OST is amaze.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Happy Sisyphus posted:

do you think star citizen backers will still be able to sit in their chariots in the hangar after the game goes bust?

or can CIG also not match illfonic in this respect?

There will absolutely be petitions to 'release the code' to a hardcore team of fans who will finish the game

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

peter gabriel posted:

NC Soft would have shitcanned Star Citizen after about a month of the kickstarter finishing

I'm still bitter over how they messed up Lineage 2. I used to love that game, warts and all, back before it went F2P and they tried to make it a more standard themepark type deal. The clan wars and player politics in that game was awesome. Ah well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Happy Sisyphus posted:

it is very real

How did you get the 2.4 patch notes?????????

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Happy Sisyphus posted:

it is very real

Very poetic.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

texasmed posted:

Holy poo poo, I loved UO. I had no idea they were doing this.

After looking at it closer, I can see why I never heard of it.

beep_boop fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 25, 2016

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

How did you get the 2.4 patch notes?????????

it is a leak from a private forum citizen

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

beep_boop posted:

Holy poo poo, I loved UO. I had no idea they were doing this.

its really bad. i wouldnt. i backed and regret it to no end.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Pratt2112 posted:

Check out Shroud of The Avatar. It's a spiritual successor to UO, with him at the lead.

Edit: nvm, someone else already mentioned it.

Is that an actual game that is fun or is it a morass of bad.

e;

Goobs posted:

its really bad. i wouldnt. i backed and regret it to no end.

Nevermind.

Someone should really track down the people that ensured that all of the celebrity personalities at Origin could pay themselves hand over fist before retiring into failed kickstarters actually had games to print their names on.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 25, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Happy Sisyphus posted:

it is a leak from a private forum citizen

chaos

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

texasmed posted:

Totes not uo2

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, I see those posts on Elite Dangerous, and I wonder why i'm in this thread watching a giant black and blue sci-fi painted blimp fireballing slowly, slowly into the ocean.

Like, I actually want to pick up and play E:D when engineers comes out, because I do not have the patience to master the basics of flying right now. And i'm here, watching this project that received way more money than it should have going nowhere.

I'd be loving down for a Will shatner voiced AI, this is great, why are backers oogling over a "physicalized EVA"? What the gently caress is a physicalized EVA?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Haskell9 posted:

You should use your industry clout to get your nephew Ricky a job at Cloud Imperium. I hear that studio is going places.

But... I know nothing about game development!

:negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Goobs posted:

I'll be playing this too but never played RO online or any korean grindfest game so I wonder how long I will last. Bought the 10 dollar package for shits and giggles..if nothing else the OST is amaze.

Look forward to playing with you

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm the r/dereksmart lurker who now has to decide between making fun of Derek for getting this wrong or acknowledging that a forum full of insiders making fun of CIG constantly is real.

Recently, I made a post in my Facebook feed about how everyone that knows anyone connected to this poo poo-show, pretty much knows everyone else connected to it. I also mentioned that most aren't talking openly for fear of reprisals and such, but if you're part of the closed group and forum where industry people congregate, you already know everything and don't need to stick your neck out.

It's late here now. But tomorrow I will dig up the thread and link it. However, I think it was a public post, so feel free to search my feed if you find it before I do. It's in one of my Star Citizen topics.

I know what I'm talking about.

And I can neither confirm, nor deny, that I am a Freemason. But it's kinda like that.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Dusty Lens posted:

I can't say personally. Haven't played it. It looks neat, the concept is cool, but I've seen some mixed reactions to it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yawn. Ok.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dusty Lens posted:

Here's a good post that explains getting a house in SotA.

Thursday Next posted:

While this is a true fact, it's also pretty disingenuous to leave it there.

In order to place a house, and, like, walk inside it and decorate it and enjoy it, you need two items: a lot deed, and a house deed for that type of lot. The houses are relatively cheap, and it's possible to make enough gold to buy a house deed in a week or so of play time. You can't, however, get a lot deed so easily. And you have to match the house type to the lot type - if you want to place a different house at some point, you'll need to buy a second lot deed. Lots come in many flavors (row, village, town, city, keep, castle, water?, etc). Basements are a separate deed.

To be able to use a house is very expensive. And that makes sense: after all, they charge $275 for the lowest-tier of these lot deeds with any hope of placing it.

It's also necessary to keep in mind how housing placement works. Every town has a limited number of house spaces. Good placement spots - spots in high-traffic areas, so that other players will use your vendors - are extremely limited. Right now, there's recurring taxes on every property. If you place your house-and-vendor in a good spot, you'll make money towards those taxes. If you don't manage to snag one of these rare spots, your little cottage is going to be in a hidden town on the tip of a peninsula somewhere that will be a bitch to get to, even for yourself. Nobody will ever buy from your vendor. Yet the taxes on these houses are the same.

How does placement work then? How can I ensure I get a good locale?

Everything is gated by how much money you pledged and when. If you spend a lot of money, you get to go first at house placement. If you only pledge at the $275 level, good luck finding a reasonable spot. If you don't pledge at all, you'll have to wait until you make enough gold in game to buy both a house and a lot deed... and by that time, there may be no spots left at all. They've stated that they will ensure there are enough blank spaces for every pre-purchased deed, but that sort of leaves a lot of folks out in the cold, doesn't it? Your example - someone using in-game gold to buy a house and deed - may not be able to place.

And, yes, before you call me out on this - it's also possible to purchase "just" a lot deed in their add-on store for a mere $100 for the smallest lot. This affords you no access to the early-housing placement rush; you'll spend $100 and maybe find a spot on the aforementioned hidden island when the game opens for everyone. Maybe.

Again, I get where they're coming from. They've painted themselves into a corner by making housing so expensive; it got them a huge influx of sudden cash, but I'm willing to bet that that influx has all but dried up at this point. New players aren't going to buy in if they can't access the fun housing stuff, and the whales don't want to de-value their thousands of sunk dollars.

The game itself isn't fun enough or compelling enough to me to make up for this serious problem.

I wish them the best of luck, of course, but I don't see much hope.

Edit: Interestingly enough, I can't find the house placement FAQ anymore. But I did find a post on their forums that seems to cover it: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/final-wipe-and-lot-selection.44430/

Yeah. :(

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Goobs posted:

I tried a bit of ToS, back during the earlier open tests, I think. All I remember is getting up to a boss that was basically a walking mass of hit points that refused to die. Then the game crashed.

Hadn't been back in since.

How's it doing now? I might hop in again.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

20 years to puzzle it out and they came up with a solution to the UO housing crisis that is somehow worse than an accidental ecumenopolis.

That's too bad. The only game I want more than Freelancer 2.0 is Ultima Online 2.0

Thank you for taking the time to track that down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eonwe posted:

I've got an idea

for April Fools day this thread can be positive stuff about SC, and people who are negative about it get dogpiled

I'm on board, I think that's a great idea.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Pratt2112 posted:

I tried a bit of ToS, back during the earlier open tests, I think. All I remember is getting up to a boss that was basically a walking mass of hit points that refused to die. Then the game crashed.

Hadn't been back in since.

How's it doing now? I might hop in again.

I've been hearing mixed things. The only negative things I've really encountered are the way they're handling the cash shop, not pay to win but 20 bucks for a new hairstyle, etc. Also in order to 1v1 trade someone you need to get a "token" which equates to a monthly subscription if you want to keep buying it and comes with small bonuses. Its their way of eliminating gold sellers, or attempting it anyway. I like the art style even though I'm not an anime guy and the soundtrack is amazing so there's that. Need something to keep me busy until Overwatch, Sea of Thieves, Total War:Warhammer, etc etc.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Shroud of the Avatar is also a cash grab, buying castle for $2k lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

And I can neither confirm, nor deny, that I am a Freemason. But it's kinda like that.
Daaamn. Can't outsmart the Smart.

... when it comes to the black arts.

• Locked thread