Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Defghanistan posted:

Am I just confused here?

Yes, you seem to have mistaken this thread for D&D.

:frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout:

e: the best snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Weatherman posted:

Yes, you seem to have mistaken this thread for D&D.

:frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: :frogout:

e: the best snype

No need to be racist about it

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Someone told him to "step on it!"

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Canemacar posted:

Someone told him to "step on it!"

It must take a lot of force to drive a key deep into that tissue, I am trying to figure out how that happened

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If D&D is a race then I would happily say im racist

In other news star making jerma mad in this video always gets a laugh outta me

https://youtu.be/CKsW2g0NZMs

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

True, loads of people are panning this but I think the one on the real receiving end of it is the director. I don't think he'll be put in charge of anything more complex than a whelk stall after this.

The thing is that I'm not sure if the problems with Batman vs. Superman are the kinds of problems that keep people away from big, terrible movies. So if the audience shows up, we're going to keep getting visionary directory Zack Snyder for a while.

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think any film director has done the "true weirdo is ~you~" thing without coming across as an insufferably hypocritical dickbag in the process.

This is because they have to be insufferably hypocritical dickbags to make that kind of movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Defghanistan posted:

Can someone explain to me how being anti Muslim, or any other religion for that matter, is racist? I really want to know, because I feel like lately the two are being treated identically and they aren't the same.

Well you see, it all starts with foreskins.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

What the hell is that thing?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pillow Hat posted:

an adult human male and a child human male

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think it was one of those big rubber exercise balls.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pillow Hat posted:

The ocean.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Defghanistan posted:

Can someone explain to me how being anti Muslim, or any other religion for that matter, is racist? I really want to know, because I feel like lately the two are being treated identically and they aren't the same.

The law is the The Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Pillow Hat posted:

One of your mom's implants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmoqbR3gto

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Still grump it wasn't a Harvey Birdman movie.

I remember when I first heard of a birdman movie and got super loving excited. I really wanted a Harvey Birdman movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The worst thing about Sucker Punch is that a movie with hot chicks going to different time periods and costumes and fighting monsters and nazis and poo poo is that is still managed to be so loving boring

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

oldpainless posted:

The worst thing about Sucker Punch is that a movie with hot chicks going to different time periods and costumes and fighting monsters and nazis and poo poo is that is still managed to be so loving boring

I saw that playing on a hospital TV a few years ago and I am glad to hear some corroborating evidence that that movie exists and I didn't imagine it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Yeah the Sucker Punch is describing what's done to the people who paid to watch it.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Stex T posted:

One of your mom's implants

:boobeer:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oldpainless posted:

I call it the Showgirls phenomenon.

90 minutes of tits and you'll be bored out of your skull,

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Defghanistan posted:

The real answer is that being "anti-<insert religion or other common ideological beliefs and practices>" is bigotry. Racism is a subset of bigotry, the kind to which most people are most commonly exposed and which is most widely recognized in the west as being sharply negative, so in general when westerners are revolted by bigotry they're most likely roll out the accusations of racism despite the fact that it is a narrower term which may or may not apply.

Same sort of effect on the opposite side of this, too; in my experience people who self-identify as 'anti-muslim' (or related terms), in general, really belong to what you could call the "anti-other" category, and tend to conflate sort-of-related words and ideas when trying to lay out their perspectives.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is that I'm not sure if the problems with Batman vs. Superman are the kinds of problems that keep people away from big, terrible movies. So if the audience shows up, we're going to keep getting visionary directory Zack Snyder for a while.

So far Batman Vee Superman is at $197.3 million on a budget of $250 million, which is a good deal slower than the much bigger superhero movies like the first Avengers but still enough momentum to keep going. Big tentpole franchises like that are usually able to succeed through brand recognition and sheer force of will more than anything; it may be a poo poo movie getting awful reviews, but the fact that it's the first Batman vs. Superman movie and the beginning of DC's attempt to rival the MCU got it a fuckton of pre-order ticket sales and even a lot of curious folks and nerds who want to see if it's "really that bad."

That said, I'd be surprised if Snyder keeps getting tapped by DC to make movies after it got such a negative reception (even though he didn't write the script, directors tend to get the direct blame for bad movies). Snyder is really only able to succeed when he can directly copy imagery from comics, like in Watchmen. When he's asked to do something himself, he falters.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Snyder is all style, no substance. Which is great when he's given substance (James Gunn's Dawn of the Dead script, the non-rapey parts of 300 from Miller) but not so great when he's put in complete control (Sucker Punch, the majority of MoS including overriding Chris Nolan on major story details, the parts of Watchmen he changed around). If WB had the balls to keep handlers on him who could guide the production if he gets off-track, his work would be a lot stronger. I haven't seen BvS yet and I'm reserving judgment on it until I do - I'm convinced it's better than the trash pile it's been said to be, though by how much I'm unsure - but Snyder's career stagnation is pretty obvious at this point.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The opening credits of Watchmen will probably be the pinnacle of his career, imo.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

People talk about every Zak Snyder movie as if it's going to finally be the one that ends his career. What are people expecting at this point?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The trick is that he's never made more than one movie, he just gets someone to come in and paint a new logo on the last one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looks like the person in the background is wearing a gi, so I guess they were going some kind of martial arts thingie and dude's foot came down in the wrong place?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some dude in Utrecht, Netherlands used public wifi to send an e-mail to the city of Leuven, Belgium with a terrorist attack threat if he didn't receive a large sum of money on a certain bank account number soon. The bank account number belonged to a guy living in Leuven.

Police tracked down the guy using CCTV images, found out that he was angry at the Leuven bank account guy, and thought this would be a good way to get the Leuven guy in trouble.

Utrecht guy has been handed over to Belgian authorities, and he's looking forward to 5-10 years of jail time for threatening a terrorist attack + paying the costs of the police investigation.

Good prank, good prank.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Defghanistan posted:

It must take a lot of force to drive a key deep into that tissue, I am trying to figure out how that happened

Keyhole surgery.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

He gave three kicks to ignition.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kingdom Hearts challenge run

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

So far Batman Vee Superman is at $197.3 million on a budget of $250 million, which is a good deal slower than the much bigger superhero movies like the first Avengers but still enough momentum to keep going. Big tentpole franchises like that are usually able to succeed through brand recognition and sheer force of will more than anything; it may be a poo poo movie getting awful reviews, but the fact that it's the first Batman vs. Superman movie and the beginning of DC's attempt to rival the MCU got it a fuckton of pre-order ticket sales and even a lot of curious folks and nerds who want to see if it's "really that bad."

It's going to have to make around $700 million gross to be a really successful film for the studio (give or take a hundred mil), so the drop off is going to matter a lot. But I agree that it's seems likely to be another Jurassic World and cruise over a billion despite being awful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

It's going to have to make around $700 million gross to be a really successful film for the studio (give or take a hundred mil), so the drop off is going to matter a lot. But I agree that it's seems likely to be another Jurassic World and cruise over a billion despite being awful.

I think it'll take a while for it to hit $1 billion at this rate, if it even makes it before it falls into dollar theaters and home video. I can see the film turning a profit, but not a big enough one to be considered a smash success. It's definitely no "hits $1 billion within a day" thing like Marvel can make. A lot of news articles try to play it up as a "record-breaker", but all the records are within really specific qualifiers like "Best opening for Warner Brothers" or "Best opening in March."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Not Evans posted:

He gave three kicks to ignition.

Hot and fresh out the kitchen!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWbRNxs5S1g

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Schadenfreude is coming to this thread, and finding it full of a dull discussion on Batman vs. Superman.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

The opening credits of Watchmen will probably be the pinnacle of his career, imo.

Right up until people see the hallelujah scene and start laughing their balls off, yeah. Then again, that scene shows Snyder's inability as a director to really know how a movie works. Yeah, that scene was in the comic, and it had a point. But in the movie? It doesn't belong. It doesn't work. And Snyder, when faced with a choice between making a cut in something he may or may not have respected and ruining the entire product, decided he knew what was better than the audience. And was so very, very wrong.

rodbeard posted:

People talk about every Zak Snyder movie as if it's going to finally be the one that ends his career. What are people expecting at this point?

From Snyder? Nothing. From Warner Brothers? To remove Snyder from the product altogether because he's the main liability.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it'll take a while for it to hit $1 billion at this rate, if it even makes it before it falls into dollar theaters and home video. I can see the film turning a profit, but not a big enough one to be considered a smash success. It's definitely no "hits $1 billion within a day" thing like Marvel can make. A lot of news articles try to play it up as a "record-breaker", but all the records are within really specific qualifiers like "Best opening for Warner Brothers" or "Best opening in March."

The real issue is that this was the movie that was supposed to bring on the DC Cinematic Universe. That's one of the reasons DC moved from New York to the West Coast and has been floundering for a while: it was bought simply to use the characters in movies and television. So not only did Snyder gently caress up a movie, he definitely put the plans for a movie line in jeopardy, and possibly even destroyed a comic company. Even though moving DC Comics to the West Coast and engaging in a 'comics are billboards for the movie' policy that does nobody any favors. I guess that counts as schadenfreude: Snyder's attempt to bring his beloved comics to life ends up destroying one of the oldest ones still printing together. I'd find it funnier if this resulted in DC Comics going back to comics instead of being used as licensing fodder.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Staryberry posted:

Schadenfreude is coming to this thread, and finding it full of a dull discussion on Batman vs. Superman.

What is th-

No way.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

WarpedNaba posted:

Still grump it wasn't a Harvey Birdman movie.

Hey just wanted to thank you guys for this little sidetrack in the thread. Just finished watching Birdman and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm currently working through eps of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law and loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Karma Monkey posted:

Hey just wanted to thank you guys for this little sidetrack in the thread. Just finished watching Birdman and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm currently working through eps of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law and loving it.

HA HA! UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES!

Still, have fun, Harvey Birdman is a great show.

Rolo posted:

What is th-

No way.

Is that was remains of the radiator cap?