Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
This game is very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

J.theYellow posted:

This game is very silly.

Made all the better by the fact that it's played absolutely straight for most of the game.

Man, I don't believe I didn't find this thread earlier.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It always cracks me up seeing Saren riding around on his goofy little hoverboard in battle, it totally wrecks his badass persona.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It would have been 100x better if they could have worked in a BttF joke there somewhere.

Recording our final wrap-up sidequests tonight so update in the next day or two. With some judicious editing should be able to take care of the final mission in 2 updates. :toot:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Judge Tesla posted:

It always cracks me up seeing Saren riding around on his goofy little hoverboard in battle, it totally wrecks his badass persona.

SubponticatePoster posted:

It would have been 100x better if they could have worked in a BttF joke there somewhere.
No, Saren is a Surf Ninja.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Since Mass Effect 2 is near, you'll soon be very familiar with a particular phrase, it's almost as infamous as the combat dialogue from ME1 and it-ASSUMING CONTROL!

(That was the phrase by the way, you'll hear it a lot, more so on higher difficulties)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Because nothing makes you respect and fear an opponent more than one who is constantly recycling the same taunts over and over.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Or hate your team-mates that spout the same lines over and over again.

"I WILL DESTROY YOU!"

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I"m really excited for the next updates. I've seen the game being played before, but somehow I've never seen Ilos so I'm really interested to see how different it might look. Hopefully it looks different, anyway.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Or hate your team-mates that spout the same lines over and over again.

"I WILL DESTROY YOU!"
Maybe I'm giving credit where it isn't due, but I'm pretty sure that's Bioware taking the piss regarding the enemy chatter in ME. Also it gets brought up again as a joke in 3 directly.

Sir Potato posted:

I"m really excited for the next updates. I've seen the game being played before, but somehow I've never seen Ilos so I'm really interested to see how different it might look. Hopefully it looks different, anyway.
Oh, dear :( I mean, I guess it does (stuff grows there) but we spend 90% of the time in what is effectively a sewer, sorry.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

It's actually a futuristic Segway. They cut out the bit where the battery went dead and Saren slammed in to a wall on his way out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sovereign has fingers and the whole final battle could have been avoided if it just flew overhead, reached down and went squish on Shepard.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
Just finished playing through the ME trilogy, because I'm old and always one console generation behind.

It really feels like the game wants to shoehorn you into a relationship with somebody no matter what you do, which is a bummer because I wanted to play a space age RPG, not a dating sim. But apparently my Shepard can't just be a consummate professional who's too busy saving the galaxy for love.

"Gee, blue lady...I'm sure glad you didn't get your face shot off in the last battle because you're a valuable asset to the team."

"I'm glad you said that, because I'm in love with you too."

"Wait, what???"

"So are you thinking summer wedding? It will be easier to book a venue in the fall..."

"No..no...I don't like you like that. I just respect your knowledge and professional acumen."

"Oh so I guess you're HER boyfriend then?"

Other girl: "All right...let's get a baby in here!"

"No, no, no! I don't want either of you! I just want to save the galaxy!"

+5 Renegade

"gently caress!"

Seriously though...in the first game I turned down the blue lady, which made me soldier lady's beau by default I guess...but when she offered some P in V action I said no. Then in the second game I imported my ME1 file and she makes reference to our "special night" so I guess you just canonically bump uglies no matter the player's input. Finally, I gave up and just became involved with the alien girl in the hazmat suit, hoping that she just had a writhing mass of tentacles and suckers underneath her helmet, but alas.

They should make some DLC where you meet the perfect person, get married and then on you're honeymoon it just turns out to be a thresher maw wearing a person suit.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Morrow posted:

You all think you're joking but I had to go and look up his actual name.

The issue is that Mass Effect ended up focusing a ton on its alien characters that the humans seemed bland and forgettable unless they were Zaeed.

I liked Kasumi, because she was funny, had cool powers, and was the only one not romantically interested in Shepard.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's totally possible to do non-romance runs, I've done them on both FemShep and ManShep. Part of the problem is that unlike DA2 & DAI there isn't a clear romance/flirt option so probably what happened with Ash is you progressed her too far into romance (probably by nothing more than being nice) and then when you shot Liara down the game's math said "romance=Ash." If you got the scene where someone comes to your cabin you're considered in a relationship even if you tell them you have a headache at that moment. It's not a great system and why I was a dick to Kaiden a few times; if I wasn't then I'd end up in a conference room having uncomfortable conversations with K&L over "choosing one of us."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Finally, I gave up and just became involved with the alien girl in the hazmat suit, hoping that she just had a writhing mass of tentacles and suckers underneath her helmet, but alas.

They should make some DLC where you meet the perfect person, get married and then on you're honeymoon it just turns out to be a thresher maw wearing a person suit.

Good work because the Tali "romance" is far and away the creepiest one in the game. Like, nothing else comes remotely close.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sovereign has fingers and the whole final battle could have been avoided if it just flew overhead, reached down and went squish on Shepard.

Orbital bombardment is the bane of space opera. The Dominion War would've been over in one episode of Deep Space 9 after the Founders had Jem'Hadar cruisers kamikaze every major Federation world at Warp 9.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It's totally possible to do non-romance runs, I've done them on both FemShep and ManShep. Part of the problem is that unlike DA2 & DAI there isn't a clear romance/flirt option so probably what happened with Ash is you progressed her too far into romance (probably by nothing more than being nice)

Earlier Bioware games were bad about this. In DAO I got treated to a terrific cut-scene of my PC loving Zevran because I had good approval and I misread his proposition question re: my comfort with his bisexuality. No Zevran I'm not that okay with it :mad:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Orbital bombardment is the bane of space opera.

40k does it all the time (ludicrously so), the trick is inventing dumb reasons to not kill this planet from orbit.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Oh, dear :( I mean, I guess it does (stuff grows there) but we spend 90% of the time in what is effectively a sewer, sorry.

Ah, well, I suppose that's what I figured might happen. I've only seen one picture of Ilos, probably the Wikia image, of like a really vertical space with pods and poo poo sticking out and thought maybe the whole level might have been like that. I guess I'm still too used to ME2 and 3's large-scale game zones.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

For what it's worth it does have one of my favorite ambient tracks in the game.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DeusExMachinima posted:

Orbital bombardment is the bane of space opera. The Dominion War would've been over in one episode of Deep Space 9 after the Founders had Jem'Hadar cruisers kamikaze every major Federation world at Warp 9.

The Man-Kzinti war books had a good one where the humans accelerated a comet to around 20% of light speed, aimed it at a conquered system and used it to utterly wreck a planet.

Also the Wunderland Treatymaker

quote:

The Wunderland Treatymaker was used only once. It was a gigantic version of what is commonly a mining tool: a disintegrator that fires a beam to suppress the charge on the electron. Where a disintegrator beam falls, solid matter is rendered suddenly and violently positive. It tears itself into a fog of monatomic particles.

Wunderland built, and transported into the Warhead system, an enormous disintegrator firing in parallel with a similar beam to suppress the charge on the proton.

The two beams touched down thirty miles apart on Canyon's surface. Rock and kzinti factories and housing spewed away as dust, and a solid bar of lightning flowed between the two points. The weapon chewed twelve miles deep into the planet, exposing magma throughout a region the size and shape of Baja California on Earth.

After the use of the Treaty Maker, the planet was renamed to Crater. Also the surviving Kzinti in the system surrendered.

I love crazy sci-fi apocalypse weaponry.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 29, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

Earlier Bioware games were bad about this. In DAO I got treated to a terrific cut-scene of my PC loving Zevran because I had good approval and I misread his proposition question re: my comfort with his bisexuality. No Zevran I'm not that okay with it :mad:
All of the romance cutscenes in DAO are just eye-gougingly :stonk: Semi-triangular pixel people loving with underpants on because nudity was too much. I'm kind of glad DAI went with full naked because a) the graphics are a ton better and nobody looks like a horror and b) yes, this game is rated M for mature and seeing tits or man-rear end makes a lot more sense than people going at it wearing knickers. If that's too much for you then do a no-romance run (or romance Solas so you don't see anything :haw: ).

Sir Potato posted:

Ah, well, I suppose that's what I figured might happen. I've only seen one picture of Ilos, probably the Wikia image, of like a really vertical space with pods and poo poo sticking out and thought maybe the whole level might have been like that. I guess I'm still too used to ME2 and 3's large-scale game zones.
That's the sewer part where you spend most of your time. You are outside for maybe 10 minutes and you can see a tree or two!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Amusingly the modesty underpants covered more skin than Morrigan's default outfit which barely covered her chest.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Also (and Mass Effect suffers from this same problem) apparently there is only 1 store in the entire universe that makes/sells underwear because everyone wears the same stuff. Like not even a color variation. "These are boy underpants, these are girl underpants."

e: and now I've actually spent irreplaceable minutes of my life discussing videogame underwear. Goddamnit.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 29, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Now I've actually spent irreplaceable minutes of my life discussing videogame underwear. Goddamnit.

I think we've found the thread title for the 2nd game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

grack posted:

It's actually a futuristic Segway. They cut out the bit where the battery went dead and Saren slammed in to a wall on his way out.
It's an illusion, Shepard. A trick is something asari do for money.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

I think we've found the thread title for the 2nd game.
If I didn't already have something picked out I'd go with it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

From Biotic Butts to Asari Azure; Let's Play Mass Effect 2!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mass Effect 2 has Miranda.

There's no escaping the biotic butt.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
For posterity's sake

The Council/Udina gently caress us over (what a surprise) and we steal the Normandy in retaliation. Please remember this moment, I sure will, you rear end in a top hat Udina. Also we make Conrad pee himself and check in on some group called Cerberus that we'll probably never hear from again.

Kahoku's stuff is especially stupid: "I totally found out about this black ops group and they're after me, so I'll flee the military because I'll surely be safer on my own outside of my ship/base/loving entire Navy :downs:" There was another Cerb mission I did and forgot to record all of it, but it's another "go here and shoot some poo poo in 3 identical bases" where this time instead of Rachni you shoot husks so we're not missing anything at. Cerberus is also responsible for our unit getting thresher mawed on Akuze, They're sooper dooper evil guyz! Good thing we won't have to work with them later or anything.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
On the off-chance that you haven't started recording Mass Effect 2 already, I suggest you do something like grow Shepard's hair out a little every game, so by 3 it looks pageboyish.

It makes sense to do it from 1 to 2 at least, considering you're in a coma for so long.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Usually if I gently caress with Shep's appearance I shave her head - makes more sense if they've been operating on her brain :v: But I did already record the first part tonight so I can edit the unskippable poo poo at my leisure, sorry. Same hairstyle :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Is there any more satisfying punch in the history of video gaming than Anderson on Udina?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The one that comes right before the finale of ME3 kicks into gear?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

grack posted:

Is there any more satisfying punch in the history of video gaming than Anderson on Udina?

The reporter in ME2?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, Cerberus. The plot tumor of Mass Effect.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
If there was an option to not work with cerberus in me2 and the game ends and you lose immediately i would take it 100% of the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Up Circle posted:

If there was an option to not work with cerberus in me2 and the game ends and you lose immediately i would take it 100% of the time.
Or at least make it look like you really don't have any other option. If you want to play it renegade and go "gently caress yeah let's blow up some aliens" then jump right in but if you weren't at least ask the Alliance or the Council. I mean, both of them already have hosed you over multiple times, at least that way you could say you tried.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Or at least make it look like you really don't have any other option. If you want to play it renegade and go "gently caress yeah let's blow up some aliens" then jump right in but if you weren't at least ask the Alliance or the Council. I mean, both of them already have hosed you over multiple times, at least that way you could say you tried.

"Ah yes, :airquote: Collectors :airquote:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or at least have the Council/Alliance act with disbelief that you're alive again. "Who is this, and how the gently caress did you get Commander Shepard's ID tags?" would be an entirely reasonable reaction, at least, and could've been used to set up at least some early tension where you have to go off the grid because almost everyone you run into blows you off at best, and wants to arrest you for "impersonating" yourself at worst.

• Locked thread