Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6525826/#Comment_6525826

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6526022/#Comment_6526022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:siren: alert to Chicagoons! (or any goons really)

The Boers and Bernstein show on 670 The Score is doing a Friday Fung named "I've been Duped!", caller stories of falling for scams.

While I never put money into this (:smug:) this would be a great opportunity for a recovering shitizen to expose this story from the most bizarre angle possible. The segment starts at 4:00 CST.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Hahaha, imagine if a space sim made you do boring menial jobs! so wacky!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Oh man that script leak made me laugh.

I love this thread.

I love you all. Elephants, tophats, guy who sang "sledgehammer", skeletons, beer, all of you.

Best thread.

:wotwot:

Best thread

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

why isn't the thread title sunk cost galaxy yet

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Just post even if it's a double, double trouble for CIG and uh

parrrrrp

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

cocaine dad show posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I'd be much more creatively active if my life wasn't missing some essential magical ingredients.
http://dowlphin.deviantart.com/

Heaven forbid

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

AP posted:

Octopode could probably tell us how many active subscribers there are but everyone was mean to him just because he sometimes makes terrible posts.

People were mean to Octopode because he was the Star Citizen version of fishmech/Nintendo Kid, except unlike fishmech Octopode wasn't even technically correct about his pedantic crusades most of the time.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

ISN'T IT ABOUT TIME WE

MADE A GAME???

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Daztek posted:

Double post~

a catte with a plan

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Toops posted:

I don't really know what the politics of hiring in games is like, but I have a feeling it's a lot less forgiving than the mushy, bullshit world of "enterprise software." Those of us who work for small/startup companies basically bounce from failing-rich-kid-passion-project to failing-rich-kid-passion-project. It's either that, or go work for one of the big, institutional (read: successful) companies. So it's more of a straight up experience-based meritocracy. What are your core competencies, what kind of languages, frameworks, databases (etc) do you have experience with, do you like fuckin' love agile? etc. Then they try to murder you in an interview, and if it turns out you're not full of poo poo and actually know the stuff you put on your resume, you're in.

Hiring for game development? IDK man. I have to imagine that a lot of really bad programmers dream of being game developers, and you have to weed out bad attitudes or "culture-fit" mis-matches much more aggressively. Esp since game dev studios tend to be chaotic as gently caress and run by anti-corporate types.

Here, I think a critical factor is when the hirer deemed CIG to be a clear failure. Because, I can see a game company not wanting to hire somebody who worked at a clear failure of a project for a long period of time. The hiring company wouldn't want an employee who was willing to go to a make-work firm, because that employee may have lost the independence / and independent drive needed to succeed in an unstructured game development environment. Somebody who had a long time at CIG would be suspect, as that person would have worked a long time on a dead project without either affecting a success or leaving when the failure became clear.

So, people involved in fundamental engine and network work would be the most hurt, these people would know firsthand that CIG cannot succeed and these people would have nothing positive to point to from their Star Citizen experience.

Perhaps that could explain the long wondered at failure of the net code to evolve? Those engineers would have left first, lest they get too much stain from Star Citizen. Other gaming engineers would have left later.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

cocaine dad show posted:

Stealing those words for a song title, because I learned from the best

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Mr.Tophat posted:

Just post even if it's a double, double trouble for CIG and uh

parrrrrp

When I watched The Jinx, after the last episode I was like nothing like this will ever be recorded again, and I think there will be nothing like this thread again. Like there will be good threads but this thread is the best

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

So sad and predictable.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

lol

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

New wallpaper secured

Running silent due to ego overload

*ping*

*ping*

*ping*

Two weeks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yes, but is it realistic to think they have more than a couple of thousand subscribers? I mean even with 10,000 subs at $20 a month that is only accounting for $6,500 a day or roughly $270 an hour.

I'm still really suspicious of the figures on that chart but I think it's more a case of them reporting 'weird' data than purposefully being faked. I can't see that they are selling $50k a day in ships and game packages at all, that would involve them selling more than 200 ships a day, everyday and I just don't think that demand is out there.

:iiam: is all I have at the moment. CIG are presumably piping the data to the website so they could pump whatever numbers they want up there. Do they want it to look like they're 'okay' bringing in 2-3mill a month? Possibly, but that's only gonna make it much worse if/when they fail and the numbers don't add up. :shrug:

Those are all fair points, but if there is anything SC has proven beyond any doubt, it is that lots of people are plenty stupid. The previous suspicious floor was 42k:ish — if that were subs alone, they'd need some 60,000 subscribers. Horrid as the thought may be, it doesn't seem to be well within the realm of SC nonsensibility.

But we know it's not all subscribers, so the income from those per day is lower than that, and the obsessive addicts account for the rest.

e: To put those 60k into perspective, it's somewhere between ¼ and ⅕ the number of subscribers EVE has, and it's a game in decline rather than one where (among the faithful) the hype is still strong. It's a bit over one in twenty of their supposed (but obviously inflated) number of pilots — a more sensible number may be one tenth.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 1, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

cocaine dad show posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Literally Kermit posted:

Solar Plebians! Choose Your Adventure!

What should I write about next?

b) Stimperial Sport, Extended Editions

Please don't clutter up you're responses by adding random crap! I'd like the next few pages to be votes only, I just have so much thread time you know!!!

kay-o

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

cocaine dad show posted:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I don't know if jared is being sarcastic or not

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

you are a true artist, internet friend

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lol Huckaby is still salty about Chris Roberts overpromising on wednesday

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

That is no joke the worst loving internet page I've ever seen. What the gently caress is ANY of that??

Oh, that's just his crap page. The real magic happens at http://images.dowlphin.de/

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

can you draw the view from side?
im asking because it would make modelling this bit easier
also :five:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

You will you dumb motherfucker. You will.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

cocaine dad show posted:

When I watched The Jinx, after the last episode I was like nothing like this will ever be recorded again, and I think there will be nothing like this thread again. Like there will be good threads but this thread is the best

It's recorded for all time and history, but people won't understand the raw pace behind this stream of consciousness comedy dillerium. Is it all real? Can we really be that lucky?

Star Citizen has delivered more than the scope could ever hope to describe

Chris Robert doesn't have eyes bigger than his stomach, he has [BODY PART[ bigger than his [BODY PART] alright!

[REFERENCE TO STIMPIRE=1]

And that's when i said, that's not the worst kind of electricity, that's my wife! :haw:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:eyepop:

Wow will Sandi be pissed at how you spend your work days

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Ryan helped with this cover, so there is sure to be more finds.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

:psyduck:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

I always felt like this video was missing something

But, no more

DJ Pgabz found some fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLGjA7aR1MA

:pgabz:

This is really really really good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4cx5p3/cloud_imperium_weekend_rave_video/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

I'm gonna say.... 95% of it is not his :v:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

blueberrysmith posted:

you are a true artist, internet friend

thanks, it's all my own original work that I worked on by myself without help or inspiration from anyone that is not myself.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Toops posted:

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5VfKSYvSk

I believe the movie "The Big Short," and the 2008 housing market crisis fueled by the fraudulent overvaluation of worthless mortgage-backed securities is a near-perfect allegory for what's happening with CIG.

Oh yeah that clip is what first got me thinking about it. I was like "That sounds like some HST thing I read."

I can't figure out if Croboberts is the bubble itself or banking deregulation in that metaphor.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mr Fronts posted:

Come on, who hasn't used all of the following in a single sentence this week?...

- triple-A
- lore
- emergent
- fidelity
- immersion
- scope
- cutting edge
- brilliantly talented
- indie
- passionate
- history

Seems legit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4cvpot/toxic_community/d1lrz0s

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oh. Cocaine is banking deregulation.

e: my doublepost! :argh:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

The guy behind the "one Last Job" tagline looks a bit Han Solo-ish IMO...

• Locked thread