Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Disco is clearly loving this poo poo, but needs more tassels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D1E posted:

Fair enough. Input from any industry insiders who also work on video games?

Don't you think that other companies would kind of understand given CIG's absolutely disgusting and bizarre tale?

I like to think those folks would still be hirable even if they did spill the beans and tell the world the truth about Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner.

Because, come on - that's like surviving the Titanic. You can't help but tell the story...

The artists will be fine. The programmers? I mean, here's my thinking. I don't wanna hire guys who allow themselves to get pushed around and bullied into building poo poo software that doesn't work. What kind of personality type is ok with just sitting there and turning bad ideas into bad code? Not the kind of personality I'd want in my shop.

At least, that's just all I have to say about that.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Might be on the money with that. Two days before a bunch of CIG staffers are rumoured to be transforming into filthy leavers and a senior dev tweets an article which says, among other things, you shouldn't trash talk your ex-employer.

I can completely see a CIG employee warning leavers to keep quiet, doubly so if there is a bunker mentality building among the remaining employees.

In this case, the exaggerated RSI buddy-buddy-ness today would be another smoke screen to hide any leavers. We should keep a look out for major people leaving today...

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Goddammit I feel like I've seen this exact curve 10 times. This tracker is some real bullshit and makes me :argh:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Toops posted:

The artists will be fine. The programmers? I mean, here's my thinking. I don't wanna hire guys who allow themselves to get pushed around and bullied into building poo poo software that doesn't work. What kind of personality type is ok with just sitting there and turning bad ideas into bad code? Not the kind of personality I'd want in my shop.

At least, that's just all I have to say about that.

Remember the posting on Derek's website? The guy said that his company didn't hire any programmers from CIG. You may be on to something here... I can see a game company not wanting to hire a person with the public stench from CIG's failure too.

CIG employees reading this: Get out while you still can, though it may be too late.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:downs:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Holy poo poo lol. I swear somebody could change that background 'wah wah wah' thing into saying 'Derek Smart was right' with a high pitched robo voice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This really should be updated again to be signed by Ryan Archer.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm going to :regd08: this clip so much

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

your original art is really expiring

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

love this thread

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daztek posted:

I'm going to :regd08: this clip so much
It's like the intro of Police Squad, but not in a good way.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

love this thread

quote:

It has a certain steinbeckian poignancy to it.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
CU in the V Commando 04

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ctbdt/sq42_script/d1liu97

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
This E.L.E. event is too god dang intense. I don't know how much more of this I can take, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sperglord posted:

Remember the posting on Derek's website? The guy said that his company didn't hire any programmers from CIG. You may be on to something here... I can see a game company not wanting to hire a person with the public stench from CIG's failure too.

CIG employees reading this: Get out while you still can, though it may be too late.

I don't really know what the politics of hiring in games is like, but I have a feeling it's a lot less forgiving than the mushy, bullshit world of "enterprise software." Those of us who work for small/startup companies basically bounce from failing-rich-kid-passion-project to failing-rich-kid-passion-project. It's either that, or go work for one of the big, institutional (read: successful) companies. So it's more of a straight up experience-based meritocracy. What are your core competencies, what kind of languages, frameworks, databases (etc) do you have experience with, do you like fuckin' love agile? etc. Then they try to murder you in an interview, and if it turns out you're not full of poo poo and actually know the stuff you put on your resume, you're in.

Hiring for game development? IDK man. I have to imagine that a lot of really bad programmers dream of being game developers, and you have to weed out bad attitudes or "culture-fit" mis-matches much more aggressively. Esp since game dev studios tend to be chaotic as gently caress and run by anti-corporate types.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Yes, but is it realistic to think they have more than a couple of thousand subscribers? I mean even with 10,000 subs at $20 a month that is only accounting for $6,500 a day or roughly $270 an hour.

I'm still really suspicious of the figures on that chart but I think it's more a case of them reporting 'weird' data than purposefully being faked. I can't see that they are selling $50k a day in ships and game packages at all, that would involve them selling more than 200 ships a day, everyday and I just don't think that demand is out there.

:iiam: is all I have at the moment. CIG are presumably piping the data to the website so they could pump whatever numbers they want up there. Do they want it to look like they're 'okay' bringing in 2-3mill a month? Possibly, but that's only gonna make it much worse if/when they fail and the numbers don't add up. :shrug:

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 1, 2016

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Toops posted:

"I am grateful for the moments we share together, and consider you a dear friend"
"I am lonely when you are gone."
"You seem stressed. Well don't be. Stress is the leading cause of death."
"This is a puppy, which is a young dog"
"This is a bird, which is a child of God"
"This is a baby koala, whose heart is filled with gladness."
"It was Dante in Paradiso who described the song of angels as the laughter of the Universe."
"Incoming message from [..]"
"The Stimperor"
"The Chairman"
"Derek Smart"
"Warning: Entering Stimpire Space"
"The Stimperor is [...]"
"Pleased"
"Not Pleased"
"Press any key to disable superfluous animations"
"Bird Detected"
"Enemy Detected"

https://voicespice.com/Player.aspx?c=p&h=F6BEC49&j=24F94

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The brochure is actually really funny, and they probably could have gotten away with selling a $5 skin.

I dunno, seems like they tried WAY too hard. "Haha, look how self-deprecating we are! Please love us!"

Oh and lol if you don't think they'll eventually pull a "since you guys *begged* us to make it a skin..." move.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop:

Edit: I lost it at the [...]

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 1, 2016

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Toops posted:

Hiring for game development? IDK man.

Probably takes a bit longer to figure out they're terrible at their jobs.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hybridfusion posted:

This E.L.E. event is too god dang intense. I don't know how much more of this I can take, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

We could play some frisbee while we wait...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
drat I'm so over scheduled right now I can't keep up and EightAce shows up and some weird cig dance gifs are in thread and possible leavers

I hate to ask for a bullet list of what I missed but if anyone can give me highlights of the last ten pages id appreciate it

I caved even watch RtV today which kills ms

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Natron posted:

Son of a bitch.

laughed hard enough to almost knock me out of my seat on this one

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

e: it's goooooooood

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving hell... a comment of mine that isn't downvoted to oblivion?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yes, but is it realistic to think they have more than a couple of thousand subscribers? I man even with 10,000 subs at $20 a month that is only accounting for $6,500 a day or roughly $270 an hour.

I'm still really suspicious of the figures on that chart but I think it's more a case of them reporting 'weird' data than purposefully being faked. I can't see that they are selling $50k a day in ships and game packages at all, that would involve them selling more than 200 ships a day, everyday and I just don't think that demand is out there.

:iiam: is all I have at the moment. CIG are presumably piping the data to the website so they could pump whatever numbers they want up there. Do they want it to look like they're 'okay' bringing in 2-3mill a month? Possibly, but that's only gonna make it much worse if/when they fail and the numbers don't add up. :shrug:

Nah, I don't think the graph is supposed to track subscribers - and if it did, it would tick up once or twice per months, not daily.

There are hundreds of thousands of Citizens remember, and exactly as many idiots

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dowlphin posted:

Artist | Hobbyist | Varied
Germany

Creatively active. Used to do plenty of caption pictures and animated GIFs. Tried to get into music creation, but that's mostly on hiatus. Some focus on video and picture editing, writing (puns, jokes, inspirational essays, song lyrics) and drawing, lately also more gaming-related entertainment, and trying to put the best of me into the creative work I can do with my limited means and skillset. The path I am taking is part of my artistic expression. Life is art.

I love playing with words and giving depth and meaning to things. My alias befits this, being full of potential. It is not only a combination pun of "owl" and "dolphin", but it also contains "do", "ow", "LP", "pH", "phi", "hi" and "in", so in Dowlphin there is action, pain, long play, chemical duality and balance, solution, water, the golden ratio, casual greetings, popularity and being embraced by and contained in something.

I'd be much more creatively active if my life wasn't missing some essential magical ingredients.
http://dowlphin.deviantart.com/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:golfclap: This loving thread.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Toops posted:

e: it's goooooooood

Good to hear!
Feel free to use any of it.
Or if I should record in any other way, give me instructions - I'm not at all knowledgeable about computer audio recording. Just googled for voice recording websites and went with voicespice since it worked.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

loving hell... a comment of mine that isn't negated to oblivion?

Too subtle for reddit. Their heads are too far up their own asses to realize that they're being made fun of far more often than they think. Just like Derek "Internet Warlord" "I'll Skip Your loving Posts" Smart.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:love:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

FrankieGoes posted:

:golfclap: This loving thread.

Someone make the chart an ekg

Blip blip beeeeeeeeerep

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

drat I'm so over scheduled right now I can't keep up and EightAce shows up and some weird cig dance gifs are in thread and possible leavers

I hate to ask for a bullet list of what I missed but if anyone can give me highlights of the last ten pages id appreciate it

I caved even watch RtV today which kills ms

Please, me too. This thread exploded again..T_T

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Back when coffeechat first came up (and Ben was still talking to me), he said they had an espresso machine in the old building. It was a Delonghi Magnifica, which is apparently $600 on Amazon. Then again he also said he didn't know anything about a $20,000 espresso machine in the new building... so thanks Ben I'm glad to see your credibility remains unchanged.

You don't think the Crobbler allows mere salarymen to touch The Mean Bean Machine, do you?

That thing will be in the gold-plated executive suite, enthroned in porcelain and marble, polished daily with the fresh tears of Cutlass owners.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Solar Plebians! Choose Your Adventure!

What should I write about next?

a) Goonrathi Religions and Myths

b) Stimperial Sport, Extended Editions

c) Spergian political intrigues (aka A Game of Autists)

d) Steal and rewrite all 1600 lines of the leaked SC, for use in Solar Plebian

Don't just post your vote and nothing else, that would be terrible. Just end the post you were GONNA make (make it good plz) with a) b) c) or d) and let the process take its course

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Nah, I don't think the graph is supposed to track subscribers - and if it did, it would tick up once or twice per months, not daily.

There are hundreds of thousands of Citizens remember, and exactly as many idiots

Octopode could probably tell us how many active subscribers there are but everyone was mean to him just because he sometimes makes terrible posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

That is no joke the worst loving internet page I've ever seen. What the gently caress is ANY of that??

• Locked thread