Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm amazed at the size of those parking spots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

coolant intake gasket leak and pistons smashing rust ridges?

It's a 4.0L jeep... what coolant intake gasket? :v:

The latter is a solid possibility. Might have trashed the rings.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

dissss posted:

The worst thing in that picture is the state of the wheels on that (relatively new) Focus

Hah, until you mentioned it, my brain just said they're black wheels.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I HEARD THIS THREAD LIKES BICYCLES. I also heard this thread enjoys screw extractors.

Bleed screw out of my brakes. Stupid thing used some torx pattern and I made the mistake of using a HF $3 sale driver for it. Stripped the screw and the torx driver!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

um excuse me posted:

I HEARD THIS THREAD LIKES BICYCLES. I also heard this thread enjoys screw extractors.

Bleed screw out of my brakes. Stupid thing used some torx pattern and I made the mistake of using a HF $3 sale driver for it. Stripped the screw and the torx driver!

You're supposed to be giving the extractor and bad screw the finger. Please remember for next time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

um excuse me posted:

Stripped the screw and the torx driver!

Persistence.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If anything deserves it, it's the lovely torx I used.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh, I have those too. Mine rusted to poo poo in the garage.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Ugh, screw extractors. The only time I've had to deal with one was rebuilding the carb on my GS500.

The carb assembly screws are a mechanical failure themselves, all made of soft brass. Not even the extractor helped. Eventually had to hacksaw a slot in the stuck screws and use a big flat screwdriver to remove them.

Immediately replaced them all with socket cap screws.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Groda posted:

Folkrace?

No no. Folkrace is essentially cheap and simple rally cross (rally-x, whatever). Sprint races on dirt (sometimes some asphalt) tracks. We're driving Skrotbilsrejset, actual 24 hour race on actual racetrack, Mantorp Park. Only quirk is the cars get scrapped after the race, so it's a new car for every event.
Held twice a year (around the equinoxes). We're not racing until last weekend of October, but me and one of the other guys in the team are going down for the race this weekend to help out (towing stuff, watching poo poo, doing race radio). I'll also try to get a hold of some strategic spare parts from the scrapped cars afterwards. Always a few BG 323's there, mostly 1.8 DOHC, which is what we're racing the next two races and also has a few common bits with my Miata NA.
Might also provide some nice opportunity of witnessing mechanical failures.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

um excuse me posted:

If anything deserves it, it's the lovely torx I used.

ORANGE HAND

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

xergm posted:

Ugh, screw extractors. The only time I've had to deal with one was rebuilding the carb on my GS500.

The carb assembly screws are a mechanical failure themselves, all made of soft brass. Not even the extractor helped. Eventually had to hacksaw a slot in the stuck screws and use a big flat screwdriver to remove them.

Immediately replaced them all with socket cap screws.

I bought a set of HF left-hand drill bits. They make carb work gloriously easy. That and aerokroil. Mostly the left-handed bits, though. Before I work on the carbs, I order a whole new set of screws. Same way with motorcycle brakes. The master cylinder screws are probably made of marshmallow or vegemite or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's pretty amazing what kind of materials manufacturers will use when they think they can get away with it. A couple of months ago I was trimming some aluminum footpegs to fit my motorcycle correctly (OEM pegs off another bike, not eBay specials), and it was like filing a block of cheese. I hacksawed through the whole 3/4" shaft in like 20 seconds. It was to 6061 as 6061 is to steel.

Clearly even this cheap grade of casting aluminum is strong enough for the purpose, but it's still kind of disconcerting.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 2, 2016

Captain Cornflake
Apr 2, 2016

This was the condition my Bronco was in when I bought it off Craigslist.

Now, it's hard to see in the photo, but that's a c-clamp there on the brake hose behind the caliper. It was a 60 mile drive home, you see...

Captain Cornflake fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 2, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Figured out why the steering is binding on my kart, one of these is not like the other...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holy scrub radius, Batman!

bad ball joint rod end

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
How do you line up a go kart?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Same way as a car, I've yet to do it since I just got it last year but I'm just going to use my cheap Chinese camber tool and some measuring tapes. It's actually easier than aligning a car since there's no need to take the wheels off to make adjustments, there are some fancy $300 lasers but I'm a cheapass and I'm not going to be in contention for anything major this year so I don't see the point.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Is it just me or do the ball joint mounts look like they're on the opposite sides of the axle? Look where the springs and down connecting metal supports are. It looks like one is at 3 o'clock and one is at 9 o'clock.

Edit: Nevemind, I see where the red cross support tube is.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I don't know what scares me more. The zip tie tire, or the brake pad wearing a nice track into that rotor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know what scares me more. The zip tie tire, or the brake pad wearing a nice track into that rotor.

The rotor is scarier form a mechanical failure perspective, but the tyre is scarier on the grounds of “what the gently caress were these people thinking?”

The rotor is extreme neglect. The tyre is active insanity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As the owner clearly has no issues hacking up idiotic solutions, odds are high the rotor is actually particle board from ikea, so both situations are insanity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If I had to guess, that's a "get me home" or "get me out of the woods to a waiting trailer/wrecker" repair. I've seen worse.

That might just be my remaining faith in humanity speaking however.

e: it's a RWD truck of some sort. The tire profile makes me think cargo truck, but the heim joint steering makes me think 2wd desert runner. That's an incredibly skeevy looking weld on the tie rod between the heim joint bung and the tie rod tubing, however. Honestly it worries me more than the tire or brake.

e2: I used tineye and it looks like this is the oldest posting of that image on the internet, minus the reencoding artifacts, blur, resizing, cropping, and instagram filter(?). From May 18th of 2014. In Russia, naturally.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 5, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How is it holding air? Does it have a tube in it?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Hopefully it's full of expanding foam. I mean, if I was going to zip tie a tyre, I'd fill it with self-expanding builders foam beforehand. It's just common sense.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
So this happened right next to where I work yesterday:

Mountaineer hits guardrail, guardrail fails, Mountaineer falls 30' into the bed of an F150. Everyone escapes with minor injuries.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Awww Fords savin Fords. :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess the ford didn't have MILITARY GRADE ALUMINIUM in it because the commercials showed dropping ridiculous weights into the bed with no damage.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Guess the ford didn't have MILITARY GRADE ALUMINIUM in it because the commercials showed dropping ridiculous weights into the bed with no damage.

If a GM product had landed in the bed, it would have been a different story.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ohh, _that_ kind of Mountaineer. I thought the horrible mechanical failure was the guardrail for a minute.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Those commercials usually show a split second of the truck getting hosed, the frame and/or the suspension bending.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I hate to bring it back to bicycles again, but how are you people busting spokes? I used to commute on my Haro mountain bike and the only things I ever broke were either crash or stupidity related. I put thousands of miles on that thing too.

I've had my Giant hybrid for a couple of years now and haven't had to fix anything. I don't ride daily anymore but I was pushing 300lbs when I got it. I'm not so heavy anymore but even with my fat rear end on it and many miles later it still rides like new. Maybe I'm not doing it right or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As my mechanic is progressing on my head gasket, he's uncovering signs that King Kong worked on this engine before I had it. Valve cover, rocker arm, and head bolts all mashed on so hard most of them were too rounded off to use a socket on, and the valve covers were cracked as a result. He had to use a breaker bar on some of the head bolts.

Autopsy results came in, though:

culprit #1 - driver side head gasket

#2 - same side intake manifold gasket, coolant seeping up a bolt hole and puking into the intake

Passenger side head gasket was trying to beat its twin to the punch but didn't quite make it

Good news was the heads were both straight and not cracked so that's a couple hundred bucks I'm not spending this go-round. Mechanic believes that by having it towed and not driving it until I took it in to him (~7 miles) I minimized the fallout from the failed gasket.

For bonus :stare:, the flatbed that towed me home blew a tire right before my exit, and after dropping me off, the guy declared his intent to drive the hundred miles back home on this:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

uh he's clearly got an extra one right there :rolleyes:

seriously though, the dual tires are mostly to spread the weight when fully loaded, running 3 out of 4 rear tires when rolling empty isn't gonna hurt anything.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I hate to bring it back to bicycles again, but how are you people busting spokes? I used to commute on my Haro mountain bike and the only things I ever broke were either crash or stupidity related. I put thousands of miles on that thing too.

I've had my Giant hybrid for a couple of years now and haven't had to fix anything. I don't ride daily anymore but I was pushing 300lbs when I got it. I'm not so heavy anymore but even with my fat rear end on it and many miles later it still rides like new. Maybe I'm not doing it right or something.

Geirskogul posted:

Does nobody tune their spokes anymore? I do mine once a year, on both the bicycle and the motorcycles. Pretty easy by ear.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

moxieman posted:

So this happened right next to where I work yesterday:

Mountaineer hits guardrail, guardrail fails, Mountaineer falls 30' into the bed of an F150. Everyone escapes with minor injuries.

Haha poo poo, you must be in Maine. That's the aqueduct in Bath right? Chrisgt and Slow Is Fast were both nerding out about that accident too.

Apparently the idiot managed to take out 50 feet of guardrail. The police are saying that they don't know if speed was a factor but I'm sure it (and driver skill/lack therof) was.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got that cracked piston out.

Entire way across the face, down through the ring lands, all the way to the gudgeon pin. No wonder it wasnt really holding compression!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

kastein posted:

Haha poo poo, you must be in Maine. That's the aqueduct in Bath right? Chrisgt and Slow Is Fast were both nerding out about that accident too.

Apparently the idiot managed to take out 50 feet of guardrail. The police are saying that they don't know if speed was a factor but I'm sure it (and driver skill/lack therof) was.

Yup, I work at the shipyard. From what I hear the kid in the car was special needs, so I'd guess driver distraction if he was having an episode or something + the roads were a bit slick that afternoon + lovely guardrail that was scheduled to be replaced anyway. Pretty incredible that everyone made it out ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Roadbikes are built to be -just- tough enough to not blow up constantly. They use much fewer spokes to keep weight down. A mountain bike, even a cheap one, is going to be able to put up with much more abuse than your standard road bike.