Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

I gotta be honest with you guys I find most Final Fantasies after IX to be completely intolerable. I don't know if it's the series changing or me changing or both, but they're getting pretty bad. I think XIII might literally be the exact opposite of my idea of the ideal RPG.

Yeah I feel the same. I'd love for Final Fantasy 9 to get a remake or remaster or something so it could come out with a less godawful steal ratio, an easier to parse equipment menu and smoother battle transitions. I'm watching Smite's stream with him trying to steal from all the bosses and by the time he's made it to the Hilgigars and it's reached the point that the success to fail ratio is like 98:537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah I feel the same. I'd love for Final Fantasy 9 to get a remake or remaster or something so it could come out with a less godawful steal ratio, an easier to parse equipment menu and smoother battle transitions. I'm watching Smite's stream with him trying to steal from all the bosses and by the time he's made it to the Hilgigars and it's reached the point that the success to fail ratio is like 98:537

Well, FF9 is getting a Steam re-release. Didn't they lose/delete the resources for the game? So, maybe they'll make battle transitions smoother...?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iretep posted:

Wasnt the world unified 80 years ago? Would there even be diffrent languages anymore?

Well, there's still Moombaspeak? But otherwise there aren't really different languages, even GFs speak whatever is the common tongue.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Extra Tasty posted:

As wildly broken as this game can get mechanics wise, it's at least fun to utilize that broken system, and it's diverse and entertaining. This game definitely poorly explains its battle system in general, but once you get the hang of it then it's pretty diverse, which puts it ahead of XIII at the very least for me.

The best part of breaking FF8 was that, with fighting out of the way, it let me focus a lot more on paying attention to the plot, and I feel like I got a lot more out of it as a result.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Silegna posted:

Here is the problem with Sephiroth. It wasn't really him. It was all Jenova. The Real Sephiroth isn't even fought, he's dead, in a crystal, in the Northern Crater.

Apparently I don't really remember Final Fantasy 7.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

Not many people do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

Well actually, that was most definitely Sephiroth you fought at the end of the game. You kill Jenova right before you get to Bizarro and Safer.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Not that neither Bizarro nor Safer have legs - just like the corpse in the crater.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always got the impression that they merged into a single being with Sephiroth's torso at its core and a lot of shapeshifting protrusions.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The trick for FF9 is to not make a big deal about stealing every item from every boss. Seriously, the game is so much more enjoyable when you realize "wait, I can usually buy this equipment at the very next town" and play the game more normally rather than focusing on stealing eight times from every boss.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

The_Frag_Man posted:

You owe it to yourself to read the recently-completed FFVII LP, it's really loving good. Especially at laying out the plot details that everyone forgot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MagusofStars posted:

The trick for FF9 is to not make a big deal about stealing every item from every boss. Seriously, the game is so much more enjoyable when you realize "wait, I can usually buy this equipment at the very next town" and play the game more normally rather than focusing on stealing eight times from every boss.

This is practically blasphemous.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Sephiroth spends the entirety of the game in his crystal at the Crater. The only times you interact with him are when Cloud hands over the Black Materia and the final bosses. If this blew your mind, please check our Elentor's LP.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MagusofStars posted:

Delete this post now before you have any shred of dignity left in your acount.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is practically blasphemous.

I like to think of it more as a prophecy, showing a new way and revelations ;)

Kidding aside, however, if you have never tried playing without going crazy over stealing, you really should try it next time you play. It's like a completely different game - more fast-paced in battles, but with abilities more spread out, especially early. Oddly, it makes the game both easier and harder simultaneously - the game is very equipment dependent for both raw stats and abilities, which makes it harder, but on the flip side, Zidane is far more useful and you don't have to intentionally delay so you don't have to play as defensively.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mr. Peepers posted:

You owe it to yourself to read the recently-completed FFVII LP, it's really loving good. Especially at laying out the plot details that everyone forgot.

Everyone who hasn't should do this, it's one of the best threads I've ever seen here. Gave me a totally new perspective on FF7.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On one hand, Zidane is perfectly usable without Steal - high STR, solid weapons, and the lineup of Killer and MP Attack abilities.

There are still situations where Stealing is very useful, such as grabbing an early equipment upgrade (Ark and the Holy Lance is notable). Plus in a Level One or No Shop run Steal is practically essential.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You're already submitting to insanity if you're LLGing FFIX. :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

AlphaKretin posted:

You're already submitting to insanity if you're LLGing FFIX. :v:

Is Ozma even possible to beat in LLG?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Silegna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhRM22NB8w

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Silegna posted:

Ask Orange Fluffy Sheep. Mega64 was running a FFIX LP, and OFS was running a LLG along side. Mega64 "retired", and closed the thread, and OFS said if anyone else wants to LP 9, he'll bring his LLG over to it. If it wasn't possible, I don't think OFS would do it...

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Ask Orange Fluffy Sheep. Mega64 was running a FFIX LP, and OFS was running a LLG along side. Mega64 "retired", and closed the thread, and OFS said if anyone else wants to LP 9, he'll bring his LLG over to it. If it wasn't possible, I don't think OFS would do it...

If I recall, most/all of Ozma's attacks do 9999 damage anyway, so HP from levels isn't really a huge factor. There are plenty of attacks in IX that hit the damage cap and are completely independent of strength (based on # of steals, etc.), so it's just a luck game, but way better than the grind of some other games because Ozma only has 55535 HP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it's tricky, but it's totally doable. You can mitigate or prevent all of Ozma's multi-target attacks except for Meteor and Curse, and you can survive those with Auto-Life. You also have multiple characters that can hit max damage regardless of stats, and Ozma only has 55k HP.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ozma also has a lot of mechanical jiggery-pokery going on behind the scenes, which you can exploit to make the fight easier. I think the big one is that she's not particularly fast, but she does get a free turn every time any of your characters act, unless you input that command during one of her attack animations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This has nothing to do with Ozma but a mod I played recently made me realize Necron's own crazy "behind the scenes" mechanics. Apparently the reason he sometimes got like five turns where he did stuff like Grand Cross followed by Meteor and holy poo poo what am I supposed to do there is because there's actually "Necron" and then three or four invisible parts you can't do anything about. Necron itself only has Grand Cross I think it was so it was one of these invisible, invincible enemies that got their "turn" and used Meteor and that was all she wrote for that run.

What a load of horse poo poo. It wasn't even the mod that did that.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Sixty-One: Garden Check-In

After all the commotion in Balamb, we're sent back to the Garden to figure out what to do next.

I guess Selphie's done with that nap she was meant to be having.

: What is it?
: Have you decided on a destination?
: Still thinking.

Of course, we have no idea where to go next, especially since Galbadia Garden can move now.

No. We only go to other Gardens to mercilessly crush them.

: It's like...in the mountains, so maybe the sorceress will leave it alone... But maybe... You know?

Why would we go there if Edea won't be there? Come on, Selphie, get your head in the game.

: (Oh, I see... That's why. Of course she'd want to go.)

Yeah, Selphie wants to find out if all her friends were really killed by missiles.

I guess we can find some time.

Yeah, no problem.

Well, see ya.

Fun fact: you don't get healed after all the poo poo in Balamb.
Another fun fact: this place is still called the Headmaster's office, even though he's not here. In fact, Cid is nowhere to be found in the Garden at this point. I guess he just bailed at FH and left Squall to deal with everything.
Fun fact #3: Cid is a piece of poo poo.

Xu, we just talked about this. Selphie was here.

: Seems like yesterday that they were part of this Garden.

Well, I mean, it's been what, maybe a few weeks? Something like four days have passed for sure, it hasn't been long. And we found out that Fujin and Raijin were with Galbadia, like, twenty minutes ago.

Quistis is also worried about Selphie. After all, she was an instructor for all three of the other SeeDs in the party (and for Seifer, as well) so it makes sense for her to worry. That's her role.

Anyway, let's get the Garden news.

Here's some: your party members hang around the Garden.

Oh, and some other news: you get a whole SeeD rank (:toot:) by finding Raijin in Balamb with the dog's help. I think it's 80 SeeD points if you just walk onto the train.

Zell's not doing anything exciting.

But, when I reloaded the save to get something, he had a new line (and he'd changed - your party members sometimes wear their uniforms in the halls. It's the cadet uniform, though, for whatever reason).

Nobody really wants to fight these guys. They were comrades.

Rinoa's hanging out in the library. Haven't heard from her in a while, wonder what's up.

Oh, she's thinkin' about something.

You're not a student here.

: ...What kind of books do I want... ...Hmmmm...

Ah, gently caress it, we're probably all going to die anyway.

This guy is after my Occult Fan. gently caress off, dude, find your own.

Leaving the library and coming back, there's a little chat to be had with the Library Committee Member.

It's mostly to do with worries about Squall leavin' her behind in Dollet or whatever.

And here, a hint of unease in the library committee? Say it ain't so...

Upstairs, the guy's sister, who had been sick, shows up.

She's not sick anymore.

:rimshot:

I find this tiny subplot that you would never find unless you were specifically looking for it, and which has absolutely nothing to do with anything else, very charming.

Inside the classroom, Irvine and Selphie are hanging out.

As usual, Irvine is talking nonsense about girls, and can go soak his head.

Wearing the cadet's uniform because she likes it is a very Selphie thing to do.

She'll also talk about how much she loves to post on Garden Square.

Speaking of Selphie and computers, there are a couple new things to see on Selphie's site.

First, there are a couple of diary entries. One is about Fujin and Raijin, and how she doesn't really want to fight them. This is kind of a theme around the place at the moment.

The second is about her ambivalence as far as going to see Trabia Garden, which makes sense. Everyone is aware, to some extent, that Trabia Garden is likely destroyed.

On a lighter note, Quistis has put up her entry on Selphie's friends blog.

: Why do I always end up sounding like an instructor? ...Perhaps I'm a little too...serious?

Quistis still hasn't gotten used to just being a regular SeeD. This is the thing she has to grow into, no longer being the precocious youngster.

: (Not at all, Quistis. We really look up to you!)

Her strengths are still strengths, though, and people do like her. Quistis will probably make a better instructor in a couple of years.

While we're looking at Selphie's page, let's check out the new issues of Timber Maniacs we picked up during the sidequests.

: But he lost it all and told how gambling can be. I guess he got in a little over his head.

This issue, from the Dollet pub, is just standard Laguna poo poo. Dude, you have to make, like, one good decision.

: He tried many different routes, but he eventually ended up in Dollet. There's no way he can make it from Dollet. You sure travel a lot, Sir Laguna!

And, from the Dollet hotel room. Apparently, Laguna decided to go to Esthar. Wonder why.

: You'll still find soldiers there, but this is a little too much, huh? Yes, this is a picture of when Timber was occupied by Galbadia. Sir Laguna tried to stay at this hotel, but it was used to house soldiers. Why are these articles from that period? That's because that was the period when Laguna actually wrote the articles. So, all the magazines with Laguna's articles are all old and worn out. I wonder how old Sir Laguna is now? I betcha he's a dandy old guy!

Laguna is 44.

This one is from the Timber hotel, naturally.

: I'm very happy Sir Laguna made it to Esthar but... Is this real...? This city is soooo cool! But I hear now, there's nothing on the continent where Esthar is...

We grabbed this one in Deling City. It's also the first we've ever seen of Esthar, though we've heard of it. Makes you wonder what happened to the place, eh?

: You see me in the picture? There's a statue of a sorceress and knight. It's kinda nice. Although there are tons of monsters!

You get this one when you go to the Centra Ruins (surprise!). But, how did Selphie get in that picture? She was taking a nap at the time. :iiam:

Those are all the issues of Timber Maniacs we have to look at right now. I'm sure we've learned a lot.

And that's about it for Garden right now.

So we're setting off again!

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 2, 2016

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cool Ghost posted:

Why would we go there if Edea won't be there? Come on, Selphie, get your head in the game.

: (Oh, I see... That's why. Of course she'd want to go.)

Yeah, Selphie wants to find out if all her friends were really killed by missiles.

I guess we can find some time.
This is a great little exchange. It's subtle, but really shows how much Squall's opened up since the start of the game - Disc 1 Squall wouldn't have been able to figure this out.

quote:

While we're looking at Selphie's page, let's check out the new Occult Fans we picked up during the sidequests.

Was this deliberate?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cool Ghost posted:

: You see me in the picture? There's a statue of a sorceress and knight. It's kinda nice. Although there are tons of monsters!

You get this one when you go to the Centra Ruins (surprise!). But, how did Selphie get in that picture? She was taking a nap at the time. :iiam:

Not only was she taking a nap when Squall went there, but aren't these pictures all supposed to be from old issues of Timber Maniacs? Is Selphie a time-traveler?

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

Schwartzcough posted:

Not only was she taking a nap when Squall went there, but aren't these pictures all supposed to be from old issues of Timber Maniacs? Is Selphie a time-traveler?

The Centra Ruins one, as Selphie says, isn't from TimMani. It's just a bonus she herself decided to add. So no, not all of the pictures are from the magazines. I think there may be one or two more like that, but I might be remembering wrong. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised. As well as I thought I knew this game, I'm actually learning things. Though I always learn new things about this game. There's even a scene coming up where there's an alternate version of something that happens, and I don't completely know what affects it. Well, actually two events I guess.

I'll just throw them behind spoiler tags to be safe:

I don't actually remember how to get the alternate scenes with the computer at Trabia that shows Selphie's information. I know it usually just fizzles out whenever you try. And I also know for sure there's a scene where Selphie comes in and messes with it so it stops working again. But I swear there was also a scene where you actually got some information out of it first? Again, I may be wrong there. I'm sure if it's there, Ghost'll know.

The other one is during the conversation on the Basketball court. When Irvine takes his shot, he can either make it, or miss. Minor, I know, but the only consistent thing was I think skipping the dialogue faster makes him miss. But not always.

That was more text behind those tags than I intended.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh, do we have to make a team again?

Let's go with Selphie and Zell because they're the best.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gnoman posted:

This is a great little exchange. It's subtle, but really shows how much Squall's opened up since the start of the game - Disc 1 Squall wouldn't have been able to figure this out.

Not only that, but I couldn't see him going off mission to help out a friend like he seems to be considering here.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If we're indeed off to Trabia, it would be sacrilege to not include Selphie. As for Goober #2, let's take Quistis so she can again see the result of failure.

(I honestly don't remember if we've saved the garden or if it's even possible. So my vote is Team Pathos.)

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Gnoman posted:

Was this deliberate?

No, that's a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

If we're indeed off to Trabia, it would be sacrilege to not include Selphie. As for Goober #2, let's take Quistis so she can again see the result of failure.

I'll also vote for Selphie and Quistis.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Now that I've caught up and can vote? Selphie and Quistis.

I've started playing along...it's funny, someone earlier suggested the easiest way to balance it would be to make it impossible to refine high level magic from items straight away. That way, it would still be possible to complete challenging activities like killing Spiderbot in Dollet without being possible to just accidentally break the game by refining tents into curagas. I'm consciously trying not to break the game while still playing it as intended and, honestly, it's proving harder than anticipated.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Selphie is obvious, but Irvine may be interesting to take along too, since he's one of the main reason the Garden was wacked, thanks to his delayed shot.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
I mean yeah, Selphie, obviously. (actually, I don't remember if she can actually be chosen here due to reasons), but come on. You seem to have forgotten something. It was Zell, who let slip they were from Garden, remember?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Selphie and Quistis.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Okay, I know it was a short vote, but I'm about to play the game, and I'm going to take Selphie and Quistis with me on the next leg of the journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cavelcade posted:

Now that I've caught up and can vote? Selphie and Quistis.

I've started playing along...it's funny, someone earlier suggested the easiest way to balance it would be to make it impossible to refine high level magic from items straight away. That way, it would still be possible to complete challenging activities like killing Spiderbot in Dollet without being possible to just accidentally break the game by refining tents into curagas. I'm consciously trying not to break the game while still playing it as intended and, honestly, it's proving harder than anticipated.

I'm doing a GF/Magic only run. Harder than I thought, but it's better than limit spam. Actually lost to Elvoret a few times.

• Locked thread