Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FadingChord posted:

swap.avi, there's no question about it

I wonder if you didn't know the backstory if it would be. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Leftovers season 1 does get a lot better after a lot of the first half being sorta terrible. I went back to it after s2 (ducked out about halfway through initially) and found it was worth it overall. Plus they actually set up the ghost Patti thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think I made it to episode six this season the one where Erika and Nora confront each other, and Regina King's performance was so sad, so draining for me that I just haven't had the will to go back. I mean it's amazing but it is such a heavy show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely recommend going back soon. The second half of the season is stronger than the first imo. Ep 6 might be my favourite overall but most will tell you it's a later one that is also incredible

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

leftovers season 2 is the best season of television in recent memory

so

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll finish it at some point but it's like, hmm do I watch another episode of fun pirate show or do I watch Unbearable Grief: The TV Show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's good. Justin Theroux becomes a spy at some point and it makes sense. It's the most Lost episode in a good way.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Leftovers season 1 does get a lot better after a lot of the first half being sorta terrible. I went back to it after s2 (ducked out about halfway through initially) and found it was worth it overall. Plus they actually set up the ghost Patti thing.

I sort of get the feeling that the first season, especially the first few episodes, were written with "rewatchability" in mind. I still think that the episodes in the second half of the season are better, but there are definitely moments in those first couple episodes that are cast in a different light by The Garvey's At Their Best. Unfortunately, when a show is still in its first season and the people watching are waiting a week between episodes, that sort of writing can definitely be a turn off.

zoux posted:

I'll finish it at some point but it's like, hmm do I watch another episode of fun pirate show or do I watch Unbearable Grief: The TV Show

I'd say just watch the last 4 episodes as a movie with a box of tissues some time, cause it really has a fantastic and hopeful payoff. I'm not going to say that it isn't emotionally exhausting, because it can be, but it's so worth it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

leftovers season 2 is the best season of television in recent memory

so

Well now I'm secure in my opinion that The Leftovers was like a garbage fire vomited up a tire fire.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FadingChord posted:

swap.avi, there's no question about it

I second this opinion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Well now I'm secure in my opinion that The Leftovers was like a garbage fire vomited up a tire fire.

nah, he's totally right. pretty much my favourite season this decade

edit: maybe beaten by mad men 4-5 but that's it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zoux posted:

I've never seen either and I also had to hide my eyes a lot during the Knick :ohdear:

Are you a ten year old

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunny was renewed for 2 more seasons, tying it with Ozzie & Harriet for longest running live action sitcom.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bosch was renewed for a 3rd season.

Edit: also would unironically watch this:

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 1, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

GreenNight posted:

Bosch was renewed for a 3rd season.

Edit: also would unironically watch this:

Sadly so would I

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There's not really much I wouldn't watch Bruce Campbell in at least once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Sunny was renewed for 2 more seasons, tying it with Ozzie & Harriet for longest running live action sitcom.

Is that 11? Surprised the record is so low given the seasons the leading drama ran for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Is that 11? Surprised the record is so low given the seasons the leading drama ran for.

2 MORE seasons, so 14.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

"Are you sure it's a good idea to renew this far ahead?"

"Of course, what's the worst that could happen!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Guy Mann posted:

"Are you sure it's a good idea to renew this far ahead?"

"Of course, what's the worst that could happen!"

It's not like they had a season without him and another we're he was basically just a cameo

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

They'd probably just recast Frank as Shaquille O'Neal and never acknowledge it anyway.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I never thought I'd be saying this after how fantastic seasons 8 and 9 were, but... I think Trailer Park Boys jumped the shark.

After season 7 I was ready for it to be done, but I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I thought Swearnet was a clever way to break the fourth wall. I can see an argument regarding the cameos, but having a stray bullet finally hitting something relevant was gold, as was the hospital onion ring wedding.

They've left us with plot and a vague cliffhanger. If you think season 10 was jumping the shark but Steve French was not, I just don't know what to tell you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bubbles got arrested for domestic battery

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how this week's episode of The 100 had a scene that they filmed but someone realized at the last second that they couldn't actually show it so the whole thing was awkwardly cut.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrVenkman posted:

Now that's settled, SLASHER is a fun little show that's filling the void of the sadly departed HARPER'S ISLAND. It has a godawful first episode though (Minus some fun kills) as it's full of the worst kind of expositional dialogue.

I just tried the first episode of this. It's corny and cheesy and kind of bad but in a fun way. But does the lead actress ever stop tripping over her real accent, because it's super annoying.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Kind of funny how this week's episode of The 100 had a scene that they filmed but someone realized at the last second that they couldn't actually show it so the whole thing was awkwardly cut.

Mind spoiling it for someone who doesn't watch The 100 but enjoys hearing about things like this?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mo0 posted:

Mind spoiling it for someone who doesn't watch The 100 but enjoys hearing about things like this?

some kids were murdered and to prove it the killer was showing their severed heads...but the heads were never shown on camera. It was sort of awkwardly shot to completely hide the carnage.

Edit: of course there is probably no Twitter outrage over dead ........kids.........

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Edit: of course there is probably no Twitter outrage over dead [spoiler]........kids........

Well they were dead white kids that didn't fall into a diversity role so the fans are ok with that. Dead black guy and dead lesbian = cancel the show, kill the showrunners.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mo0 posted:

There was a scene where the new villain of the show murdered a bunch of pre-teens and held up one of their severed heads as an example of what they did. Everything about the scene was framed like they filmed it with everything in view but had to cut around it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They definitely filmed the bathtub scene too. Maybe for the unrated Blu Rays

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

There was a scene where the new villain of the show murdered a bunch of pre-teens and held up one of their severed heads as an example of what they did. Everything about the scene was framed like they filmed it with everything in view but had to cut around it.
Oh I thought it was about how awkwardly CGI'd Lincoln looked in the execution scene, it looked like really weirdly lit on him alone, like they had to composite footage of him over. As if he refused to shoot the scene or something. I dunno like it was well done but it didn't look like Ricky Whittle participated in that at all but they had to make it look like he was there anyway. I could be wrong but it kinda stuck out to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Propaganda Machine posted:

After season 7 I was ready for it to be done, but I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I thought Swearnet was a clever way to break the fourth wall. I can see an argument regarding the cameos, but having a stray bullet finally hitting something relevant was gold, as was the hospital onion ring wedding.

They've left us with plot and a vague cliffhanger. If you think season 10 was jumping the shark but Steve French was not, I just don't know what to tell you.

The thing about season 10 was, the characters and the overall sense of humor felt way off. There was a certain... gentleness, for lack of a better term, to the show previously that's entirely missing in season 10- even the Bubbles subplot is weirdly mean-spirited for TPB. Also, Barb's lesbian gang was a humor vacuum. Also, the rape jokes were super uncool, going along with it being way more mean-spirited than usual. Also, the entire conflict could have been avoided if, at any point, anybody in the loving park called the police- Barb's antics escalate way past "an appropriate situation to call the cops in" remarkably loving fast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finally getting to the last season of Breaking Bad and it's kind of funny how in the episode with the train robbery they had access to an actual train but for the scene inside the engine they had to really poorly greenscreen the window.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Finally getting to the last season of Breaking Bad and it's kind of funny how in the episode with the train robbery they had access to an actual train but for the scene inside the engine they had to really poorly greenscreen the window.

Sometimes it's just an issue of space. A TV camera is gigantic.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Could've just used a gopro.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Sometimes it's just an issue of space. A TV camera is gigantic.

Or they had the train for only a couple of hours and they had no idea how long filming would take.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wandle Cax posted:

Could've just used a gopro.

then their show would look like that lovely hobbit river sequence. nobody wants that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course now that I'm in the second half of the season all I can think about is Frisky Dingo. Operation Meth Nazi.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

then their show would look like that lovely hobbit river sequence. nobody wants that.
Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait what?

In one of the Hobbit movies they filmed the scene where they were going down the river in barrels with Gopros and it was really obvious.

Also I can't believe how cheap Sleepy Hollow has gotten. Last night's episode literally had a scene where characters were cowering from a dangerous storm, cut to other characters, cut back to "man, that storm sure was something" with them walking away.

• Locked thread