Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Are you in space yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Linnaeus posted:

The characters are the only reason I play tales games, so I liked vesperia more

Same. And I kinda really hated Anise and Luke from Abyss and Tear was boring and basically everybody but Jade wasn't good and I wanted to just be Jade all the time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Abyss crew is cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
luke was an rear end in a top hat, but then he became cool

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Are you in space yet?

We will get a FF based in space before we ever get a SO game based in space.

:smith:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

im more chuffed about being able to record things over hdmi now

What are you using to record, out of curiosity? I haven't touched my consoles for my youtube channel since I got a high end PC but I wouldn't mind going back to it.

EDIT: Also at least in Abyss there was a sort of cute romance subplot between Luke and Tear, in Vesperia it didn't feel like there was any real chemistry between any of the characters which was a shame because Judith is probably the most appealing Tales to date to me.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 2, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I was really pleased Vesperia didn't do the obvious thing and shack Yuri and Estelle up just to have a Prerequisite Romance, actually. I like that game's whole cast, even Karol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
of course they didn't do that, he's really obviously not the kind of yuri estelle is interested in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/716350772770766848

Of course while amazonjp reviews are never to be taken seriously, even importers and summary sites seem to not be liking it much.

The only 'importer and summary site' I've seen dislike it are ones associated with They Who Shall Not Be Named who are thinly veiled complaining about panties so I'll wait and see.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

The only 'importer and summary site' I've seen dislike it are ones associated with They Who Shall Not Be Named who are thinly veiled complaining about panties so I'll wait and see.

I'm an importer and I am very anti-panties and I am posting complaints here such as I have them and you are free to take them with as much salt as you like.

Actually I haven't seen 2ch complaining about panties lately either, nor clearly are they flooding Amazon with 1-star reviews - and some of them are certainly complaining. (I mean, Zestiria's 1-star review flood was undoubtedly a hit campaign but there was a lot of complaining about the combat and plot there, too.)

I think 2ch seriously exaggerates how lovely things are, and the Alisha thing was a huge embarrassment to me as a person who honestly disliked Zestiria before it came out in the west, but there are such things as valid complaints.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

loving Voldemort just won't shut up about panties and waifus loving hell

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
no matter how bad SO5 is it can only redeem the series

not that SO was ever really any good, it's always been flawed as hell

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Million Ghosts posted:

not that SO was ever really any good, it's always been flawed as hell

no man having regis tell you the same thing twice and then telling you that rena is adopted and then rena telling you that she knows she's adopted, in a sequence that takes half an hour to scroll through if you don't read a single word on instant print speed, is a feature, not a flaw

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The White Dragon posted:

no man having regis tell you the same thing twice and then telling you that rena is adopted and then rena telling you that she knows she's adopted, in a sequence that takes half an hour to scroll through if you don't read a single word on instant print speed, is a feature, not a flaw

please no i try to forgot i ever played SO2

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Air Slash

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

speaking of slash i can't decide if i wanna keep playing as claude or just restart as rena so i can have claude pair up with dias

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm an importer and I am very anti-panties and I am posting complaints here such as I have them and you are free to take them with as much salt as you like.

Actually I haven't seen 2ch complaining about panties lately either, nor clearly are they flooding Amazon with 1-star reviews - and some of them are certainly complaining. (I mean, Zestiria's 1-star review flood was undoubtedly a hit campaign but there was a lot of complaining about the combat and plot there, too.)

I think 2ch seriously exaggerates how lovely things are, and the Alisha thing was a huge embarrassment to me as a person who honestly disliked Zestiria before it came out in the west, but there are such things as valid complaints.

I wasn't referring to you, natch.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The ENEMY

I have no choice

Better be careful

I won't lose

This looks bad

Energy Arrow

Energy Arrow

Energy Arrow x 20

I think people recommended I play SO2 as a joke. Or else they hated me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Colonel posted:

of course they didn't do that, he's really obviously not the kind of yuri estelle is interested in

Dunno about Estelle but yeah Rita's crushing on Estelle pretty hard tbh

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
speaking of jokes, Summon Knight 5 is one clunky fucker of a game. my little baby oni bro is cute as heck though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

speaking of slash i can't decide if i wanna keep playing as claude or just restart as rena so i can have claude pair up with dias

That involves actually having to use Dias, though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

I wasn't referring to you, natch.

I know you weren't, I'm just saying I don't know which ones you did mean but I'm an importer with totally non-panty issues with the game (I'm not prepared to say I dislike it yet but we'll see) and I would believe that others exist who have gotten to disliking it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I know you didn't care for it, but if I was one of the people who suggested you play it, no way, I was 100% loving serious. I hate the story, sure, but I think everything else about that game is such pure gold that if Ron Paul were to lay eyes upon it he would turn to stone.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The ENEMY

I have no choice

Better be careful

I won't lose

This looks bad

Energy Arrow

Energy Arrow

Energy Arrow x 20

The game actually owns and so does the battle voice acting

Don't bother with Dias, though. Opera all the way.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
SO has basically always been good to really drat good battle systems stuck in a casing ranging from mediocore to torturous.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The ENEMY

I have no choice

Better be careful

I won't lose

This looks bad

Energy Arrow

Energy Arrow

Energy Arrow x 20

Unexpectedly weak!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I have no clue what you mean either (Neogaf maybe?), cause I meant English streams and translating straight Japanese blogs. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. Like, the all around limited skill system and AI being dumb with AoEs and suiciding to them, as well as obnoxious camera issues seems valid.
Please keep your weird internet wars to yourself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Verranicus posted:

What are you using to record, out of curiosity? I haven't touched my consoles for my youtube channel since I got a high end PC but I wouldn't mind going back to it.

EDIT: Also at least in Abyss there was a sort of cute romance subplot between Luke and Tear, in Vesperia it didn't feel like there was any real chemistry between any of the characters which was a shame because Judith is probably the most appealing Tales to date to me.

i bought a chinese straight-to-usb hdmi capture card. it's incapable of streaming because of that, but it was 60 bucks and seems to work just fine so far

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I know you weren't, I'm just saying I don't know which ones you did mean but I'm an importer with totally non-panty issues with the game (I'm not prepared to say I dislike it yet but we'll see) and I would believe that others exist who have gotten to disliking it.

I'm not saying the game has no issues (because even from the stream you did it looks like it has issues) but that there's at least a portion of people who are more interested in exacerbating those issues than in discussing the actual flaws. I'm pretty sure if you're voicing those complaints they've got merit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Poor Star Ocean. It just can't get it right. It looks like 5 isn't as stupidly irritating as 3 and 4 were, but is plagued with entirely different, mechanical problems.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Million Ghosts posted:

SO has basically always been good to really drat good battle systems stuck in a casing ranging from mediocore to torturous.

Gonna gripe about the battle system, then.
  • Coming from Tales, two short and two long skills is embarrassing, but I guess that's just an SO thing.
  • Also coming from Tales, the entire system is effectively Semi-Auto like it's still 1996, also just an SO thing.
  • I have whiffed with an L-heavy basic attack, because it involves running up to the enemy and doing a slow jump attack (like in Tales of Phantasia!) so it can miss if the enemy moves.
  • poo poo's hard to see in melees, camera is a major contributor. This is especially bad in the war segments with encounters that spawn continual enemy soldiers with friendly soldiers also in play, which are really hard to tell apart. The second one takes place at loving night. At this point you really might as well just slam O and X alternately and let the game pick your target.
  • Also, targeting is kind of obnoxious.
  • poo poo's also hard to see while the bigger spell effects are going off.
  • The big triangle mechanic they talked up is largely hosed by timing. The entire system is based on countering but the action delay is heavy enough that I'm having a really hard time actually reacting to enemies, plus, again, the thing with enemies being hard to see sometimes, and the fact that if you're trying to bait enemies, sometimes they'll just turn around and go for somebody else.
  • In the specific case of light attacks vs. heavy attacks (it may be that these are general issues but heavy attacks are simply easiest for me to see because they have a big obvious effect): certain enemies can use heavy attacks basically instantly. I'm convinced a bee's entire heavy charge-up is faster than Fidel's light attack. I have also hit heavier enemies with light attacks and not interrupted their heavy attacks, so there's probably some hidden attack weight bullshit involved. And there's not much in the way of attack splash so if something that isn't in front of you/your target starts charging a heavy, regardless, you might as well just accept it.
  • Oh yeah, and the whole "hard to tell what's going on sometimes" issue isn't helped by the fact that spell-chanting and heavy attack effects are utterly identical for all combatants.
  • Doesn't matter though because you can combo enemies and the AI will be attacking so why sit there and bait a counter to begin with, especially when there's good odds that the enemy will just start ignoring you, apparently.
  • Entering combat while running (holding X) will automatically trigger your L-heavy skill (also holding X). Because combat is seamless there's little time to let go. Do not run near enemies. (Also don't run because the exploration camera isn't sensitive enough so you basically have to slow down to rotate the camera whenever you turn a corner, but that's not a combat gripe. Whoops.)
  • Death to MP.

e tl;dr: like a lot of it comes down to the fact that they made this technical play/rewards system and it's all defensive and not really reliable, so you might as well just attack most of the time, and you get so few skills that attacking is kind of boring. I've done a lot of alternating light and heavy basic attacks because that's how you cancel-combo, sometimes mix a Double Slash in there.

Unrelatedly, I made this video to illustrate a very specific gripe I have with the cutscene system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR-RMSb6AWk

Also FYI I have been continuing to stream passively while I've been playing, will probably continue to do so, and it's all up on my channel if anyone wants gameplay video for any reason. There's no structure or presentation to it though, just raw footage.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 3, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

i bought a chinese straight-to-usb hdmi capture card. it's incapable of streaming because of that, but it was 60 bucks and seems to work just fine so far

Link to where you bought it from?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Verranicus posted:

Link to where you bought it from?

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%AE-Capture-Recorder-Package-Contents/dp/B00MQQKDYE

60 dollar seller seems to be gone though

e: obviously if you're gonna record something with hdcp (a ps3 or pstv) youll need a way to strip that. ps4s you can turn it off so record as u wish

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 3, 2016

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks thread, now I'm re-playing Grandia III.

Because the first disk of that game owned.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Caphi posted:

SO5 mechanics chat

oh wow that sounds rough. lots of those things are tolerable on their own but that sounds like a dud of a battle system with all that together. i wasn't super hyped for SO5 or anything but between that and gameplay videos it's in bargain bin only territory now

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Million Ghosts posted:

oh wow that sounds rough. lots of those things are tolerable on their own but that sounds like a dud of a battle system with all that together. i wasn't super hyped for SO5 or anything but between that and gameplay videos it's in bargain bin only territory now

A huge part of the problem is that the triangle is really obnoxious to try to actively play, but if you mostly ignore it except when you see an opportunity or can afford to focus on a boss, it's a passable sort of action-RPG, I think? Kind of simplistic, but it's not like "hit circle when you see the blue fire" helps that part much anyway. That kind of system didn't exactly elevate Tales of Zestiria over Graces.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

Don't bother with Dias, though. Opera all the way.

recruiting opera is a mistake

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ashton may have superior dps but opera is a babe

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
babeliness is next to godliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Update: fighting a boss and definitely not interrupting his heavy attacks with my lights, this triangle is bullshit.