Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FrankieGoes posted:

Did you post the link to anything at all in the way of evidence to the excessive net worth that you think Crobbits has? Asking seriously, I may have missed it. Again, I've seen this claim made numerous times, with never an iota of information to back it up. Frequently it's made by a shitizen while denigrated Dr. Smart, in fact. Which I find amusing because I suspect that Herr Smart's net worth was greater than the Crobbits, at least until SC became a thing. Who knows how much money CR has milked out of it since, though.

A few thoughts along these lines:

1. If CR was really fabulously wealthy, you'd think he'd make a big show of saying something like "My salary from CIG is $1 per year, I'm doing this just to see my dream of the BDSSE fulfilled" (and make massive profits after release, but I don't think anyone would really blame him for that). To my knowledge he's never said anything about the subject.

2. Since CIG (and the 17 other companies spawned from it) are privately held, who knows what kind of salary he's drawing? The only thing keeping him from paying himself 5 million bucks a year (plus another mil or three for his marketing VP) would be worrying about a potential collapse and subsequent investigation, right?

3. If CR took on relatively "small time" (likely sub 250,000 dollar) investors in order to get this whole shebang started, plus went to KS for a scant 2 million, what on earth makes you think he'd plough millions into it NOW to keep it afloat? That seems like it makes absolutely no sense.

4. I assume you're aware of the Costner lawsuit with regards to Ascendant Pictures. Why'd he sue? The movie was never made because the money fell apart. How much meat was left on the bone after Lieutenant Dunbar got done with CRs ragged corpse?

5. Ascendant was bought out by a company called Bigfoot Entertainment. Their claims to fame include distribution rights to Lord of War (of course), a film school in the Phillipines, and yoga videos. It's not like Ascendant got bought out by Universal. More like they got bought out by the lovely company your retarded cousin runs that his parents gave him to start. I.e. I don't think the sale of Ascendant was some huge payday which left Crobbits set for life (as previous points would seem to corroborate).

I'll do you one better.

He was asking for $500K (!) to make his dream game. Let that sink in.

Through all that time, poor little old me, have been funding a massive game (as I have all my others) since 2010 without any investor or public assistance. AND in between that, I funded and finished a completely separate multi-platform game (LOD Tactics).

They're morons who don't know poo poo about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Not something you can really say to your company, sadly, unless you want to hand in a resume (which some people do). I mean, if you want an example of a stupid problem percolating like this, just look at VMWare. It took them a year to address CBTs getting larger than 128 gb: https://www.veeam.com/kb1940 / https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2090639 and corrupting backups. This kind of problem happens all the time in the software world where another team builds systems and the impact is not clear until you're actually testing that. Again, not excusing CIG here, just pointing out this happens. I personally had to deal with this bug, so I'm still upset about it :)

Huh? You can't call bullshit on things unless you want to hand in a (I assume you meant resignation?)? Calling bullshit on other people's idiocy is like 50% of my job. I do it nearly every day. And this isn't even saying "Hey this idiot is loving everything up" (which I do all the time), this is saying "hey, the framework of the engine we're using is causing this big loving problem, maybe we should do something about it" and you're saying that would cause them to be fired?

hosed up if true. Glad I dropped out of college when I was a CS major.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Truga posted:

"we can't let china get ahead of us in space races"

Lmao, yeah, that matters soooooooooooooo much right now.
a massive industrialized nation with an atrocious human rights and worker safety record with a government that's so hellbent on reinforcing its territorial claims that it's building islands out of nothing in the middle of a disputed sea?

not sure i want a country with that attitude taking an interest in manned spaceflight and exploration of the solar system

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

eXXon posted:

I'm sure there's going to be plenty of screwing and complimenting but has anybody everprofessed a burning desire to be 2nd under lieutenant shitbird sitting at the engineering screen or in the cargo bay while captain jackass does all the flying and has the actual fun? It's more likely that there will be 20 different Starfarers flying around with brain-dead NPC crew clipping out of the ship during hard turns.

I have. It's the kind of thing I wanted the original STO to be :(

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

That's PRECISELY what he has been preparing them for in the recent AtV appearance (first ever IIRC) and now this 104TC.

They CANNOT be making ANY major changes to the PU, while doing these changes he is talking about. If they do, they're back in "Star Marine" gently caress-up territory where swathes of code had to be dumped since it couldn't be merged effortlessly.

So yes, the current 2x is totally in maintenance mode and they're only going to make minimal fixes/tweaks which can easily be merged into the new ( v3.x?) stuff he claims they're working on.

Here is the kicker. They have 200 people worldwide building massive game. Only 4 (!!!!!) network engineers. Seriously, that should be a massive Red flag for a $111M project.

Where's all this money going?

Don't answer, we know you can't.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FrankieGoes posted:

What do the incompetent people in your country do?

probably the same thing, honestly - I don't pay as much attention as I probably should, I've just always heard that was a very American attitude.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

no_recall posted:

Where's all this money going?

Don't answer, we know you can't.
up ur nose with a rubber hose

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ash1138 posted:

a massive industrialized nation with an atrocious human rights and worker safety record with a government that's so hellbent on reinforcing its territorial claims that it's building islands out of nothing in the middle of a disputed sea?

not sure i want a country with that attitude taking an interest in manned spaceflight and exploration of the solar system

So here is an interesting historical fact. Did you know the Russians sent their first test rockets up into space with WOOD for heat shields? I'll have to dig through my Russian history books, but yes. They sent rockets with wooden heat shields up.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
10 for the Chairman: Episode 81
Apr 4, 2016 @ 30:36

Q: How will larger ships like the Idris be controlled by the player for flight?

A: So the plan for the big capital ships is, ah, much like what happens on, ah, a big seafaring ship in today's world, so, there's a HELMSMAN position, and the difference between the sort of bigger ships is that you'll have multiple... ahh... CREW STATIONS, multiple SEATS where people, you know, one person's just a HELM... one person's doing COMMS, the other person's doing WEAPONS, the other person's doing RADAR and potentially you have like a CAPTAIN'S SEAT and they're... giving INSTRUCTIONS to the various people manning the different SEATS, ahm, so... ah... I would say it's a bit more... uhm... you know... you be in... sort of... I don't know whether... there's cockpit style SEAT CONTROL because... potentially the interface (waves arms) for you controlling the ship is ALL DIFFERENT but it'll be very much like a... a HELMSMANS STATION on a sort of NAVY SHIP that you would see in today's world... and that's how we've set up the... ahhh... ahh...uhh... the IDRIS and how we're setting up the BENGAL and... and I would ASSUME THAT'LL BE THERE... there may be a MODE that we'll do because we've talked about several different kinds of MODES and one you know sort of like MOVING YOUR SHIP AROUND, uhm, you know and... cos... the BIG SHIP'S just sort of gonna be sort of SLOW like moving a SLOW... FERRY or TANK around, ah... there may be a MODE you can switch into were if you've got a certain kind of flight control system besides just... sort of manoeuvring the ENGINES and POSITION you know, STRAFE POSITION on your ship, you also kind have maybe some kind of a HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY, and you could CLICK and say, 'I want the ship to go to THIS area or THAT area', uhm, and then... the eye-eff... the... the... CAP SHIP version of IFCS tries to get you there and then you can... manually take it over and ADJUST the courses... so that's... that's kinda what we set up I mean JOHN PRITCHARD already has a TASK for him... which is sort of DO THAT second... second stage so... STAGE ONE of the CAP SHIP STUFF is sort of, the BIG MASSIVE SHIP HANDLING which... ahhhh... we're sort of in progress for, we need it for the STARFARER and then obviously the IDRIS afterwards... and then the second stage will be sort of a kind of a more GO TO positional... MODE that you can do were you could say, 'Ah! You know I wanna go... A HUNDRED METERS to this spot, a HUNDRED METERS AHEAD', and the system tries to mover you there.

Ahm... so you'll have those and you'll be able to switch between both of them.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Darkpriest667 posted:

So here is an interesting historical fact. Did you know the Russians sent their first test rockets up into space with WOOD for heat shields? I'll have to dig through my Russian history books, but yes. They sent rockets with wooden heat shields up.

Oak. Best heat shield.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Truga posted:

"we can't let china get ahead of us in space races"

Lmao, yeah, that matters soooooooooooooo much right now.

Long March launch is on tomorrow ;)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ragequit posted:

I definitely worded it poorly, and I wasn't trying to make him look stupid. We were just discussing the longevity of the topic. The magnitude of the other events didn't matter, which is what I meant to say. Most people in the world don't care that much about inane stuff for extended periods of time.

Yeah, it's just miscommunication. No worries.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

well that's the "UEC", they also have "REC" that can be acquired through Arena Commander.

I'm basing this off of Lesnick responding to criticisms of the in-game car dealership by saying that it will only take in game currency, and then later mentioning that the currency won't correlate exactly to "real world prices".

Yeah but you can't actually acquire anything with REC. Just rent. And there's no way to earn REC in the PU currently anyway, IIRC.

Yet another thing that if you tried to explain to an outsider, they'd think you were severely mentally ill. Not as bad as the whole melt/unmelt/ccu/token thing though, which you could probably literally be committed for, if you tried to explain it to a mental health professional.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

Huh? You can't call bullshit on things unless you want to hand in a (I assume you meant resignation?)? Calling bullshit on other people's idiocy is like 50% of my job. I do it nearly every day. And this isn't even saying "Hey this idiot is loving everything up" (which I do all the time), this is saying "hey, the framework of the engine we're using is causing this big loving problem, maybe we should do something about it" and you're saying that would cause them to be fired?

hosed up if true. Glad I dropped out of college when I was a CS major.

Did you read the reply I was addressing? Here's the quote: and in doing so, the answer back to the coders is “we cannot make this diarrhoea pass through the network stack — make it stop.”

You can certainly tell your boss that poo poo won't fit through their pipes (as some talented and frankly handsome people did over at a certain Virtual Machine WAREs provider), but you're just as likely to hear: Deal with it. Which is exactly how this kind of thing happens. What I was noting is that I'm quite certain their network team was aware of that issue even in 2015 while they were going through the back-end changes to get the ships having components and the pipe system, but if you want to keep your job, you do your best with what you can control.

I get the impression a number of people have not worked at a largish company before on the software side. Any NEST people here want to share horror stories of their ops teams and the poo poo you guys have been put through?

All that is to say: poo poo rolls down hill. And most people who are working aren't going to toss out a 'gently caress no' when they're told to work on a problem. You work on it and solve it as best you can, while making sure you documented exactly the concerns you brought up and were told would be handled later.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

Loiosh posted:

Having been on (non-gaming) net ops teams, I can assure you that we have many times identified an issue. And there's nothing we can do because we're not the ones coding the backup calculating delta (cough CBT cough). We're just trying to make it work through the network stack. That's what I meant.

In regards to CryEngine, it's not that lazy because the issues with CryEngine on the MP side have been known for years. I have a few friends who have worked for major mods (including MW:LL team members), and much like CIG, they had to rewrite the MP code because CryEngine MP is really only designed to handle very simple operations. Now, CIG did this already (in 2013) before they had ship systems or persistent data. At that time the engine just spawned a flat ship and you had, what, 8 players on a server? And that was it. When they redid the core for 2.0, they also introduced the ship components into multiplayer. They've known about this problem since last year, but a network team cannot fix a fundamental problem with the way the game engine handles its objects. You have to get the engine team (probably ops/data? if they work anything like we did) to fix how the engine is referring to those objects. Then you can optimize how to make those calls on the network stack.

When you need to call 5 MB of data to load up a ship (the server has to send 5 MB to EVERY client), you're doing it wrong. And surprising no one, CIG is doing it wrong.

I can tell you this. Any one who brought up performance issues got a stone cold stare. you never bring up performance with croberts if it means sacrificing fidelity. issues were raised, and beaten down into the sirt as fast as possible.
the grunts (most of them) at cig are smart, its the entire management layer that's parp

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fnox posted:

Even if CIG were to not explode within weeks, them struggling with the loving networking 4 years in is a death sentence. THIS is the complex part about the game, any idiot can tell.

Yes. It is. Which is why the current PU is in maintenance mode because unless and until they solve (they can't for this type of game; wrong engine) it - they're hosed.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Darkpriest667 posted:

and i'm sure it was over-engineered to hell and back

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SomethingJones posted:

A: So the plan for the big capital ships is, ah, much like what happens on, ah, a big seafaring ship in today's world, so, there's a HELMSMAN position, and the difference between the sort of bigger ships is that you'll have multiple... ahh... CREW STATIONS, multiple SEATS where people, you know, one person's just a HELM... one person's doing COMMS, the other person's doing WEAPONS, the other person's doing RADAR and potentially you have like a CAPTAIN'S SEAT and they're... giving INSTRUCTIONS to the various people manning the different SEATS, ahm, so... ah... I would say it's a bit more... uhm... you know... you be in... sort of... I don't know whether... there's cockpit style SEAT CONTROL because... potentially the interface (waves arms) for you controlling the ship is ALL DIFFERENT but it'll be very much like a... a HELMSMANS STATION on a sort of NAVY SHIP that you would see in today's world... and that's how we've set up the... ahhh... ahh...uhh... the IDRIS and how we're setting up the BENGAL and... and I would ASSUME THAT'LL BE THERE... there may be a MODE that we'll do because we've talked about several different kinds of MODES and one you know sort of like MOVING YOUR SHIP AROUND, uhm, you know and... cos... the BIG SHIP'S just sort of gonna be sort of SLOW like moving a SLOW... FERRY or TANK around, ah... there may be a MODE you can switch into were if you've got a certain kind of flight control system besides just... sort of manoeuvring the ENGINES and POSITION you know, STRAFE POSITION on your ship, you also kind have maybe some kind of a HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY, and you could CLICK and say, 'I want the ship to go to THIS area or THAT area', uhm, and then... the eye-eff... the... the... CAP SHIP version of IFCS tries to get you there and then you can... manually take it over and ADJUST the courses... so that's... that's kinda what we set up I mean JOHN PRITCHARD already has a TASK for him... which is sort of DO THAT second... second stage so... STAGE ONE of the CAP SHIP STUFF is sort of, the BIG MASSIVE SHIP HANDLING which... ahhhh... we're sort of in progress for, we need it for the STARFARER and then obviously the IDRIS afterwards... and then the second stage will be sort of a kind of a more GO TO positional... MODE that you can do were you could say, 'Ah! You know I wanna go... A HUNDRED METERS to this spot, a HUNDRED METERS AHEAD', and the system tries to mover you there.

I laughed, I cried, I caused myself to have what will probably be a permanent hand-shaped indentation in my face. Also, the drywall may need to be replaced when I move out because I don't think the next residents will appreciate the forehead-shaped dents in it.

With that out of my system, let's see if I can interpret it into English. “You know EVE? It'll be like that, at least for one guy.”

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 5, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheCoach posted:

Hey toops I've got a couple of my old 3d models that I could fix up and donate to SP,

This fighter right here:

And this massive BC (normals are busted on this model and need to be fixed, that's why you see weird rear end shading in places.):

https://sketchfab.com/models/3b0ecf6c9ab649c187ff7c1f00b19a05

That Battlecruiser could be a Stimperial Battlebarge. It looks like it's got giant knives sticking out of it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I do like that in 10FTC Chris talks about things like making newer model year ships.

It's almost like wayyyyyy too late he realizes that creating a new ship and set of gameplay mechanics to go along with it for a sale is dumb and that he can just ctrl + C / ctrl + V up the four hornet variants for a new model year and have four new ships to sell much easier.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

He was definitely high.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Also people were being weird to that new guy because his first post that I saw read exactly like what a reputation management company's employee would write to 'soften the narrative' of the thread while maintaining tone close enough to the baseline to avoid being called out. I'm not saying that's what he is - it could have been just unfortunate phrasing plus residual kool-aid notions - but my first thought was the shill co. CiG hired threw some poor intern into the shark tank for grins.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

D_Smart posted:

He was definitely high.

Oh Derek that's just weak and not even trying. He was definitely high every time he was on camera.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

D_Smart posted:

He was definitely high.

Can you have your sources confirm that?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

atxsperg posted:

I can tell you this. Any one who brought up performance issues got a stone cold stare. you never bring up performance with croberts if it means sacrificing fidelity. issues were raised, and beaten down into the sirt as fast as possible.
the grunts (most of them) at cig are smart, its the entire management layer that's parp

Who are you?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously though, if you guys want to get frustrated really quick, build a simple game and implement netcode, for say 25 clients. loving row mismatch errors haunt my dreams.

But yeah, I still say CIG makes it to at least septemberish, and they spit out a hacked up SQ42 game.

No one will know how chris's space opera is gonna end.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ravachol posted:

People forget that CR is a wealthy guy, and he'll probably bankrupt himself before he allows CIG to go bust...

Sandi is going to go along with this plan of bankrupting themselves out of her hard earned money, depriving their children of their nannies and acting lessons and move back to an apartment?

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

another tidbit.
croberts doesn't beleive in normal maps. he thinks their cheating. no normal maps, model it in geometry! drat the torpedoes and melt those graphics cards!
you cant mip verts, so sparklys and poo poo performance for everyone! what are LODs? low resolution geometry??? no! not the fidelity! No lod's! no normal maps!
its possible he doesn't even know what a normal map is anyway. if an artist used them they had to be very silent about it lest they anger the beast.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

I laughed, I cried, I caused myself to have what will probably be a permanent hand-shaped indentation in my face. Also, the drywall may need to be replaced when I move out because I don't think the next residents will appreciate the forehead-shaped dents in it.

With that out of my system, let's see if I can interpret it into English. “You know EVE? It'll be like that, at least for one guy.”

Lol, I really thought he was talking about EVE Online.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If you're going to be all hot air, don't get all mad when someone farts in your face

I don't care what the circumstances are, if someone farts in my face, I'm not going to be happy about it ><

I mean... eww.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

The punchline is that the 8 remaining leavers are Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Disco Lando, Ortwin, and Ben.

So, you're saying Ben counts as three?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tippis posted:

Nah it's real man, here he is flying his Idris

e: might be my final post in the thread before it hits 3000. Really should have tried harder. gently caress it anyway.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

atxsperg posted:

another tidbit.
croberts doesn't beleive in normal maps. he thinks their cheating. no normal maps, model it in geometry! drat the torpedoes and melt those graphics cards!
you cant mip verts, so sparklys and poo poo performance for everyone! what are LODs? low resolution geometry??? no! not the fidelity! No lod's! no normal maps!
its possible he doesn't even know what a normal map is anyway. if an artist used them they had to be very silent about it lest they anger the beast.

greetings! sounds like working under Chris is torture.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

atxsperg posted:

another tidbit.
croberts doesn't beleive in normal maps. he thinks their cheating.
I refuse to believe this. It's too stupid even for CRobbers.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SomethingJones posted:

Nah it's real man, here he is flying his Idris

e: might be my final post in the thread before it hits 3000. Really should have tried harder. gently caress it anyway.

Rings on the wrong hand though.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The 8Ace collective is breaking apart :aaa:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bolow posted:

You teach economics and you don't understand how China is basically prolonging their inevitable financial collapse, and the subsequent social upheaval that will come from it.

:psyduck:

My thoughts about this subject are limited to entirely believing what David Brin said in his excellent novel, Earth:

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

unemployment is preferable.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ravachol posted:

Oh well, there's always the vast and crushing solitude of Elite to fall back on.

B'tak alt spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Haskell9 posted:

The 8Ace collective is breaking apart :aaa:

Ya he definitely types like one of the eight aces. Cool, keep posting more tidbits, it's far most interesting than the masturbatory postings of Derek smart

• Locked thread