Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Are you working for a VAR/MSP/Partner?

Either way that sounds about right but I've heard of senior-level consultants pulling in around $100k/y with top-tier certs in the Midwest.

Internal IT full-time perm for a company. Definitely have to specialize or get into management to get more money.

air- posted:

I've seen various posts here about CDW reps, but can anyone here chime in about working for them? I'm getting the ball rolling on the application process for positions like these and just curious on what to expect. I keep noticing lower than average starting salary on Glassdoor :ohdear:

Take this with a boulder size chunk of salt but sales reps seem to last longer at CDW then a lot of other vendors that I work with. Not sure if that is because of pay and benefits or just the culture but they definitely stick around longer and they seem to hire less blatantly obvious gently caress-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah I'm hesitant to spend much time learning Citrix. Really what this job hunt has taught me is that $75k is the upper limit for general sysadmin jobs in the Minneapolis area and I'm hitting that wall now. If I want to make more money I either need to pick something or specialize in it or go back to school get my degree and get into management.

You shouldn't have a problem pulling 90-100k with a higher-level Citrix/VMware/Cisco cert at a bank or something at a larger city in the midwest

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not sure if that is because of pay and benefits or just the culture but they definitely stick around longer and they seem to hire less blatantly obvious gently caress-ups.

They only hire giraffes

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Take this with a boulder size chunk of salt but sales reps seem to last longer at CDW then a lot of other vendors that I work with. Not sure if that is because of pay and benefits or just the culture but they definitely stick around longer and they seem to hire less blatantly obvious gently caress-ups.
I'd love to not be under NDA and able to talk specifics, but the vendor contacts CDW has put us in touch with have been complete game-changers in terms of what kinds of capabilities we have available to deliver new features to our users. We have ins with each of these vendors through our VC networks and the people CDW has gotten us have been way more attentive and the conversations way more productive.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Vulture Culture posted:

I'd love to not be under NDA and able to talk specifics, but the vendor contacts CDW has put us in touch with have been complete game-changers in terms of what kinds of capabilities we have available to deliver new features to our users. We have ins with each of these vendors through our VC networks and the people CDW has gotten us have been way more attentive and the conversations way more productive.

I wish you weren't under NDA as well, because I'm incredibly unhappy with what CoreBTS provides us as well as the services and contractors they recommend.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I wish you weren't under NDA as well, because I'm incredibly unhappy with what CoreBTS provides us as well as the services and contractors they recommend.

Good to know. We were looking at Core because we're extremely unhappy with our current partner.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I couldn't really tell if that CDW gig was a commission/sales driven position so I am definitely gonna get that cleared up when the recruiter and I have a chance to talk. Thanks everyone!

On another note: it's been exactly one month since I walked out of an interview with a verbal job offer (solutions engineer position). Seemed awesome at the time, though the company has gone silent on my followups, so probably safe to let that one go, right? Lost count of how many times I got offers rescinded due to hiring freezes or whatever back when I was job hunting during the financial crisis, so sadly not the first time I've seen a similar situation.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Internal IT full-time perm for a company. Definitely have to specialize or get into management to get more money.

Echoing what earlier posters have said, you've got to either go beyond the typical entry/mid-level certs like CCNA/MSCA/VCP to start earning large figures in a technical position.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Echoing what earlier posters have said, you've got to either go beyond the typical entry/mid-level certs like CCNA/MSCA/VCP to start earning large figures in a technical position.

we had like 40GB of log files going to the beginning of time when I started. ugh

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Borderline Rogue job posting here:

quote:

Desired Characteristics:

• Must be able to identify or foresee a problem before it becomes one
  • On Call 24/7 - Readily available to answer cell phone for emergencies
  • Enough experience to know how to WIN
  • Drive, ambition, and the spirit of a champion
  • No Fear, No Pressure, Love Deadlines!
  • Glass is always full
Must Haves (just the few that I c/p'd):
  • Microsoft exchange cloud management
  • VPN management & setup
  • Management of help-desk employees
  • Management of the following server types:
  • Windows 2008
  • Windows 2012
  • Linux CentOS
  • Linux based Asterisk 12
  • VOIP system management
  • Active Directory Management

• Compensation: $45-$50K plus benefits and employee stock ownership program

Always full, mind you. Not half-full.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 4, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Spirit of a champion? Go gently caress yourself.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GreenNight posted:

Spirit of a champion? Go gently caress yourself.

I'm more of an eye of the tiger kinda guy, anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I have no certs but make tons of money. Embedded programming is awesome. :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The "Must have" list is hilarious.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I could predict the future to the level they are seeking then I wouldn't bother with a job in favour of just playing the lottery a lot and placing lots of bets.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

Nah, not really.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

Nah, not really.

CCNA can probably get you up to the 100k mark in certain areas. CCNP will probably be good for up to 160k. After that it becomes a bit tougher to rely on solely being competent, because you're typically selling your services to multiple customers who will want that CCIE or VCDX in your signature block.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

CCNA can probably get you up to the 100k mark in certain areas. CCNP will probably be good for up to 160k. After that it becomes a bit tougher to rely on solely being competent, because you're typically selling your services to multiple customers who will want that CCIE or VCDX in your signature block.

Where the hell is this because I will go to there. CCNA with 2 years experience is worth 50k in the midwest suburbs.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Where the hell is this because I will go to there. CCNA with 2 years experience is worth 50k in the midwest suburbs.

Yeah but it doesn't make a difference. $100k in the Bay Area is easily equivalent to $50k in midwest suburbs when your rent for a 500 sq ft shack is $1500/month and your taxes turn you into goatse man. It all sounds great and wonderful to be making six figures but if the cost of living is absurdly higher than the actual experience isn't anywhere near "fuckoff rich" like it would be making $100k in Kansas.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah but it doesn't make a difference. $100k in the Bay Area is easily equivalent to $50k in midwest suburbs when your rent for a 500 sq ft shack is $1500/month and your taxes turn you into goatse man. It all sounds great and wonderful to be making six figures but if the cost of living is absurdly higher than the actual experience isn't anywhere near "fuckoff rich" like it would be making $100k in Kansas.

Per kid subtract 10 - 25k a year

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Working in IT 3.1: No Fear, No Pressure, Love Deadlines!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ratbert90 posted:

At what point can I act like a bad company to their it department and tell my kids they are a cost center :argh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Working in IT 3.1: No Fear, No Pressure, Love Deadlines!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

Any one of those won't likely get you a lot, but a VCP and a CCNA and an MCSA might. Working for a vendor or VAR your knowledge occasionally needs to be deep, but it often needs to be broad. Outside of that there's still plenty of need in infrastructure design and systems administration for people who can understand the big picture.

Really though, outside of working for a partner with certification requirements, job experience is going to be much more valuable than certs for getting stacks of cash. The certs just provide some evidence that your resume isn't a complete fabrication.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

So if I add 10-25k to my salary, I'm actually at market rate. It all makes sense now.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

I wish you could leave comments for job postings like that just to save some poor soul.

I almost want to apply so I can tell them they're crazy and walk out.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

psydude posted:

You are vastly overestimating the value of a CCNA and the CCNP.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

Depends on the market. bay area or DC, sure. Midwest? $50k for a CCNA is probably about right, $65 for CCNP. Even downtown Chicago jobs are only going to pay maybe $80k for a CCNP without some great experience to go with it. The top earners on my team don't even have any certifications.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

Those numbers are absolutely attainable if you're a consultant in the DC metro area with a security clearance and solid body of knowledge. But the question concerned possibilities, not certainties. Having a certification and no knowledge or experience to back it up is obviously not going to get you very far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

I'd agree. Job-related certifications can help, but they're more of a stretch goal. They'll maybe get you an extra 1-2% for annual raises. Raises, performance bonuses, and promotions are all merit related. Your expertise and ability to apply it are going to be more valuable. A certificate doesn't demonstrate that nearly as well as your job performance does. All it does is show that you can apply it to exceed a minimum standard on an exam or in a lab.

Certifications aren't useless, they're a good way to measure where someone should be at for any given position barring any other data, which is useful when hiring. We use them more for gate keeping and help triaging resumes for open positions. It's how well you perform in the initial phone screen and subsequent tech interviews that determine whether we hire you. We don't offer more money to people who are certified, we're given a band that any particular position can pay. It's up to you to negotiate toward the high end of that band with the hiring manager.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

you didn't even paste the first introductory sentence that is, without question, the best part of the whole posting

i think whoever posted this hates their job and the company and is trolling HR real hard

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I also assume that they are not looking for a jack of all trades, master of none; they are looking for someone who has specialized in all of the listed technology and is therefore a master of all trades.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

adorai posted:

I also assume that they are not looking for a jack of all trades, master of none; they are looking for someone who has specialized in all of the listed technology and is therefore a master of all trades.

"Deep understanding of inner workings of Android"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Deep understanding of inner workings of Android"

So, linux and Java?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ratbert90 posted:

I have no certs but make tons of money. Embedded programming is awesome. :smug:

Yea, that's not even IT.

Ehh, that's not too bad... Assuming it's a small business that could be one-man IT Operation.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Tab8715 posted:

Ehh, that's not too bad... Assuming it's a small business that could be one-man IT Operation.

Yes, I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is the salary range should have a one in front of it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

adorai posted:

Depends on the market. bay area or DC, sure. Midwest? $50k for a CCNA is probably about right, $65 for CCNP. Even downtown Chicago jobs are only going to pay maybe $80k for a CCNP without some great experience to go with it. The top earners on my team don't even have any certifications.

I'm not a fan of certs myself. Paper tigers are the worst kinds of teammates to get stuck with.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

quote:

Management of help-desk employees

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

DigitalMocking posted:

I'm not a fan of certs myself. Paper tigers are the worst kinds of teammates to get stuck with.

A certification isn't any different than a line on a resume. Just helps qualify someone through a basic screening process and set an expectation as to what skill level may be required to do the job for the would-be candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, that's not even IT.

Oh your a embedded Linux Engineer? Well this CentOS server is acting funny....