Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The world is a mutable, malleable thing. In the immeasurable vastness of the Ocean, tiny pinpricks of Something burst into being, only to vanish. Without a stabilizing presence, they are hopeless against the crashing waves of Nothing. Without Gods, Something has no hope.

Gods float above the Ocean, droplets of dew against its immensity. Without worship, they perish, snuffed out. Small crumbs of Something draw countless Gods, feeding on eachother and on the life they nourish with their presence. All are doomed to return to the Ocean, but for a time they grow strong and fat, and it is enough. Without Something, the Gods have no hope.

Something new has risen from the foam. Something big. Somewhere. Unmolded, untouched by divine powers, it floats on the Ocean, drawing forth ever more matter with its gravity. Bounty beyond reckoning for any God strong enough to take it. Nothing like this has ever been encountered before - enough Something for dozens of Gods, or hundreds. But not all at once, oh no - it would have to be carefully rationed...

-O-
In the Fragile Gods of Somewhere, you take the form of a God, shaping and manipulating the world as you see fit. For those who played or read my earlier effort The Lord of the Tower, the gameplay is very similar to the Geomaton floor, in that the players will state their intentions and roll a die to see the effect of their actions. Fragile Gods will simplify the mechanics quite a bit, however.
GODS
  • To create your God, simply list your Name and Specialty. That’s all. For instance, Thakoth, God of Rain or Vendri, Goddess of Molten Steel or Wallace, God of Candy. Keep it simple, at least initially. You’ll have the chance to add to your Portfolio, with time - if you survive.
  • For you are indeed Fragile. Each God begins with 3 HP, and each turn you must roll a d20 to determine the magnitude of your Action.
  • On a dice roll equal to or below 10, lose 1 HP.
  • On a roll of 1, lose 2 HP and your Action backfires entirely, causing the opposite effect.
  • On a roll of 20, your Action is greatly magnified and you gain a +1 Bonus to Actions thereafter.
WISPS
The Gods aren't alone on Somewhere. Only five Gods can be active at once - Somewhere is still rather small, after all - but the would-be Gods outside can still affect the outcome as Wisps.
  • Any reader not currently portraying a God is a Wisp - Wisps have no Names or true personalities, but may affect Somewhere through affecting the Gods.
  • A Wisp may still add or subtract one point from any active God’s Action. If this drops their roll below 10, so be it - the Ocean is a harsh place.
  • Dice rolls only go between 1 and 20 - any bonuses or maluses that would cause them to exceed these thresholds merely become a buffer. For instance, a roll of 19 with +3 granted by Wisps would mechanically become a 20 - but would require -3 to lower it to a 19, rather than -1. Mostly you don't need to concern yourself with the math!
TAKING ACTIONS
    GODS
  • List your Name, Specialty and HP at the top of each post in Bold.
  • Write a post about what you intend to do, then roll a d20. That's it.
  • Your Specialty doesn't confer any mechanical benefits, but does affect how your Actions appear to your worshipers, which may have effects down the line.
    WISPS
  • You don't get a name, but make sure to Bold any changes you make, as well as the name of the God affected.
  • Each time you make an action, you weaken the wall between you and Somewhere. Keep track of how many you do!
-O-

Five Gods descend on Somewhere, batting aside all pretenders to their thrones, erecting barriers around their precious earth. Those trapped outside languish in the harsh Ocean, only able to affect the land with Wispy fragments of their power. The Gods set down to work upon this land, to make it their own - and to save themselves. Even with this Somewhere, they will one day die - but to die on the land, to sink into it and strengthen it and become it... that is worth fighting for.

-O-
Right, that's Somewhere! Looks a little washed out and sparse now, doesn't it? Nothing the caring hand/appendage/field/wind of a God can't fix!
First I need a d100 from everyone - the five highest rolls will be our first set of Gods, and the rest will be Wisps. Second, along with your d100 roll, I also need 5 Materials from each of you, regardless whether or not your roll is good. These can be things like Water, Ice, Chocolate, Licorice, Honey, Stone, Gems, Metal, Wood, Rabbits, Dragons, Pastry, Meat - you get the idea. Something tangible, something visible. These will form the building blocks for this world in their broadest sense: choosing Rabbit, for example, doesn’t mean that there will be rabbit people, just that they will have some qualities associated with it, and the landscape may take on traits of rabbit habitats. The land will be shaped by the Concepts chosen, and so will the peoples upon it.

I will choose the top 5 most suggested concepts, merging them together when necessary (If a bunch of people pick Granite and other people pick Stone, they’ll be combined). Take no Actions, just yet - once choosing the Gods and Concepts is done, I’ll make another post to set the scene and explain a few other mechanics. I'm going to leave this open a few days before anything properly starts, but something like 10 applicants is enough to move things along a little faster.

Good luck, Fragile Gods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

CODEX

Fundamental Essences

[GODS OF THE FIRST AGE]

Amyhdahl, God of Broken Promises / Ashar Ado, God of Joy / Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes / Illarin, God of Flowing Water / Sullo, God of Weight

[GODS OF THE SECOND AGE]

Czar, God of Hubris / Tidur, God of Rude Awakenings / Tarix, God of Whispers / Eleathas, Goddess of Civilization / Uguu, Goddess of Anime

[GODS OF THE THIRD AGE]

Tezcota, God of Sacrifice / Gulm, God of Laziness / Fitumo, Goddess of the Wilds / Mason, Lord of Idiocy / Fortuna, Goddess of Luck

[GODS OF THE FOURTH AGE]

Animus, Guardian of the Essences, Lady of Science, Deus Mechanicus / Thespias, God of the Arts / Ash, God of Mending / Enane, God of Boundaries / Rebun-Ased, Bipartite God of Dawn and That Guy Over There

Anoia, Intruder Wisp of Volcanoes

[GODS OF THE FIFTH AGE]

Luxeguerre, God of Refraction / Father Drone, God of Bees / Adamant, God of Laughter and the Anti-God / Grello, God of Finance / White-Svull, Bipartite God of Pestilence and the Beyond

Nice Old Lady, Intruder Wisp of Inward / KittyCity, Intruder Wisp of Upwards / Bilim, Intruder Wisp of Outwards / Samsara, Intruder Wisp of Downward

[GODS OF THE SIXTH AGE]

Lennart, God of Waves / Ingeau, God of Earthquakes / Kai-Die, Bipartite God of Slaying and Rock & Roll / Janus, Bipartite God of Transitions and Gates / Vii-Fo-Spec-Tremus, Tetrapartite God of the Seal, Chaos, Unlikely Cohesion and Revolution

[GODS OF THE SEVENTH AGE]

Rhuax, God of Fire / Eranos, God of Protection / Truce, God of Solidarity / Mit’ras, God of Uncommon Circumstances / See-Ram, Bipartite God of Self-Righteousness and Spite

[GODS OF THE EIGHTH AGE]

Aetria, Goddess of Eternity / Aleph, God of Boundaries / Comrade, Goddess of Revolution / Stephen Augustine, God of Texan Rattlesnakes / Sycamore, God of Defiance / Verdelait, God of People

[GODLY REMNANTS - IDOLS] (Passive effects, Destructible)

[GODLY REMNANTS - MIRACLES] (One time effect, Indestructible)

[GODLY REMNANTS - ARTIFACTS] (Once per Age, Indestructible)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Oh boy oh boy! Been looking forward to this one.

Sullo, God of Weight
1d100 = 99

5 Materials: Fog, Bismuth, Shell, Beetle, Bee

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dyu, God of Death
Becoming a god: 1d100 9

Materials: Microphone, Dice, Mallet, Ant, Alcohol

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Illarin, God of Flowing Water
d100 = 69

Materials: Water, Silt, Milk, Wheat, and Fire.

:woop: Was tempted to flat out roll Illuminas up, but that seems like it'd be cheeky :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Elämä, Goddess of Alcohol
Well, this seems unlikely to work. 19.

Materials: Fruit, Alcohol, Glass, Water, Ice

Waci fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Welcome faces old and new! Even if you roll terribly, stick around and be Wisps for fun!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Stick around as a wisp until you eventually get to manifest as a God of Spite.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Arkosh, God of Rock
http://orokos.com/roll/389058: 1d100 46
Bah
Materials: Rock, Snow,Fire,Dwarf,Steel

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Seems like a cool concept. :)

Elishari, Goddess of Wind.
Roll: 18 (Pretty sure the thread is already visited by the malign specter of Ylx'fok, god of Inadequate Dice Rolls. )
Materials: Birds, Wheat, Sand, Clouds, Rain

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Man look at all these serious gods we can't have this!

Mascottia, God of Balanced Breakfasts

1d100 = 23

Material - Milk, Honey, Wholegrain Wheat, Silver and Fire.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 5, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
http://orokos.com/roll/389069: 1d100 1

Look like I'll be a Wisp. Heh. No need for a name, so:

5 Materials: Water, Stone, Fire, Hope, and Music

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ashar Ado - God of Joy

Claiming Godhood: 1d100 85

Materials: Amethysts, Music, Fairies, Dewdrops, Snakes

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Fortuna, Goddess of Luck
Roll: 3

5 Materials: Marble, gold, dice, straw, manure

Technically bad luck is also luck, so.... just as planned?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
God of Alive

1d100 = 21

5 materials Cells, Reproductive Organs, Children, Adults, Corpses

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 5, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
God of Loudness

5 materials: Voice, Lung, Speech Bubble, CAPITAL LETTERS, Oratorium

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tezcota, God of Blood: 64

Materials: Blood, Roses, Glass, Metal (Brass), Organs (Flesh)

e: updating materials

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 5, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
CZAR! GOD OF HUBRIS!

Claiming Godhood: 56

Materials: Gold, Silver, Brass, Iron, Clay

Theantero fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 5, 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Tidur, God of Sleep

1d100: 32

Materials: Lavender, Incense, Milk, Dreams, Alcohol

Tidur hits the snooze button and sleeps in.

Juchero fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 5, 2016

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Gulm, God of Laziness

1d100: 2 Rolling dice sounds like EFFORT.

It would seem Gulm is too lazy to manifest for now.

Materials: Junk Food, Couches, Televisions, Fat, HAUNTED HOUSES GET ON THIS YOU FUCKS

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 5, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, here's the standings, so far.
    GODS
  • Sullo, God of Weight
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy
  • Illarin, God of Flowing Water
  • Tezcota, God of Blood
  • CZAR!, God of HUBRIS!

MATERIALS (without any combining of similar concepts)
  • Fire 4
  • Wheat 3
  • Water 3
  • Alcohol 2
  • Dice 2
  • Milk 2
  • Music 2
  • Shell 2
  • Glass 2
  • Gold 2
We definitely have enough for some sort of "Rock" Material also, but there's no agreement on what specific kind. If anyone wants to change their Materials given this new information, go right ahead! You can change whatever you want until the game actually gets going - I'll recalculate then.

Not closing down recruitment just yet, but I'm blown away at the interest so far. I haven't even showed you anything cool yet!

But I will!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

dog kisser posted:

• Czar, God of Hubris

Excuse me, but it's 'CZAR! GOD OF HUBRIS!'

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Palladas, God of Music

Rolled a 67.

Materials: Honey, rainbows, meadows, roses, emeralds, music, dice.

EDIT: just saw you post the standings. I'll change some of my materials.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Waves a wispy flag for the Milk and Honey party.

Come on guys do the thing! Don't you want a paradise flowing with milk and honey!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Palladas, God of Music

You motherfucker.

Salin, Goddess of Dreams

Materials: Water, Wind, Music, Milk, Mist

d100: 66

:negative:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Music Theory posted:

You motherfucker.

Salin, Goddess of Dreams

It seems that today, fate's fickle hand favours me. :tipshat:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes

Becoming a god roll - 96

Materials:
Cattes, Mice, Milk, Water, Herbs

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 5, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Music Theory posted:

You motherfucker.

Salin, Goddess of Dreams

Use my Wisp power to boost Salin to 67

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Music Theory posted:

You motherfucker.

Salin, Goddess of Dreams

Use Wisp power to boost Salin to 68

Close enough.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Keepin' the dream alive.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Absurd Revolver posted:

Use Wisp power to boost Salin to 68

Nyaa posted:

Use my Wisp power to boost Salin to 67

Hey, no Wisp actions until the game starts, although that is a hilarious attempt on your parts! But yes, the way you both formatted it is perfect.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

dog kisser posted:

Hey, no Wisp actions until the game starts, although that is a hilarious attempt on your parts! But yes, the way you both formatted it is perfect.

So it was just a dream...

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Music Theory posted:

So it was just a dream...

Back to sleep, then.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The dream god dreamed a dream of him leading the people with his dream, but it was just a dream... Or clairvoyant to the future.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Ugoti, Goddess of Rage and Revelry

Character Making: 1d100 45

Materials: Alcohol, Narcotics, Snakes, Glass, Milk

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

So we need to choose a type of rock? I'm going to stick with marble for now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Updated standings of Gods and Materials!
    GODS
  • Sullo, God of Weight
  • Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy
  • Illarin, God of Flowing Water
  • Palladas, God of Music

MATERIALS (without any combining of similar concepts)
  • ROCK (Glass, Clay, Rock, Sand, Stone, Emerald, Amethyst, Silt, Marble)
  • METAL(Metal, Gold, Brass, Bismuth, Silver, Steel, Iron)
  • Milk 6
  • Water 5
  • Music 4
  • Alcohol 4
  • Fire 4
  • Wheat 3
  • Dice 3
So we're getting something here! I have a few thoughts on Materials - I'm not going to decide this for you guys, but I'm of the opinion that the more out there and specific the Materials are the more interesting the initial conditions of the game will be. So on that note, I'm going to ask you to vote for which specific permutation of Rock or Metal you want AND whether you want Rock AND Metal or Rock OR Metal - they are pretty similar in properties, after all, and narrowing it down to one or the other gives room for other Materials

In the same vein, Fire and Water are both super popular - but they're also Classical Elements, and prevent other more exotic Materials. So, another vote - Fire, Water or Fire AND Water

We have a good group of applicants, so I'll probably try to get this started by tomorrow - lots of initial art to do, even though the actual post is pretty short.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Sand, Silver, Water, Rock OR Metal

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 5, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Marble, Gold, Fire

edit: Rock & Metal, Only Fire

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 5, 2016