Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'll get better compression if you place onto separate belts and merge at the end, which you should have room to do by making that underground belt go a little bit further.

The real solution, though, is just to have each circuit factory get fed directly by a component factory. Which saves you a ton of very fast belt, and also saves on express inserters since you can take advantage of stack size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do you need to worry about defending the big electric poles for your outposts, or do aliens ignore those?

Node fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 5, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Redesign:

moved the fuel belt south, was smart-splitting the solid to fuel the copper train, turned into a normal splitter and let it carry on to where the old belt went. currently 2.3k/m but can go to 2.8k/m

jabor: you're right about directly feeding them, i might do that if (when) this one starts lacking, and make some more down south to feed the rest of the circuit/module complex.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Node posted:

Do you need to worry about defending the big electric poles for your outposts, or do aliens ignore those?

They aim at the centre of the pollution. If a military building is found in the way, the attack that instead.
So the big poles are ignored

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I came to the conclusion that while running bob's mod and RSO ballisting turrets are better than laser one, mainly due to the electric consumption. (bobs mod -> way more turrets needed for much more space/mining outposts)
The logistic hassle of automating the ammo production is minor compared to the benefit i got from the huge reduction in the electricity load.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

I've been trying to use deciders and circuit networks more but for the stock game there's only really oil stuff where it's useful (aside from just reporting counts). I thought this picture might help the newer folk get into it.

On the left pump, it's a simple wire condition of light oil > 1000 - this send light oil off for cracking to LPG.
On the right pump, the top 2 deciders are set as follows. Left is red wire and if light oil > 500, sets output A = 1. Right is green wire and if LPG > 2300, sets output A = 1. Those both connect to the 3rd decider which does an AND operation by being set to output green square = 1 if A > 1 (deciders automatically sum the inputs from both networks, that's how this works). The pump is connected to the output of the 3rd decider and has the wire condition of green square = 1. This lets me always have LPG topped up but if there is spare light oil, turn it into fuel cubes for the rocket later.

If your tanks are further apart you can transmit the signals by hooking into poles and running it to where it need to go. My biggest problem with these deciders is telling which side is input and what is output, they really need some sort of markings.
I tend to keep it even simpler with the philosophy that any inventory is bad:
Do I have any lube at all in a tank (250-500, or 10s of production, whichever is higher)? If so, run the heavy cracker.
Do I have any gas at all in a tank? If so, run medium to solid fuel.
Running low on gas in the tank? Run the medium crackers.

It can stop-start, but this isn't real life so production is instantaneous and it's not like it's about to break the equipment. If you've got the crackers and cube makers to outrun the refineries, the juggling naturally finds the uptime split that supplies all your gas and lube users, while turning every extra iota of petro products into rocket fuel.

e. For reference, floating 2300 gas that for the sake of argument came from cracking medium is enough material for 1/3 of a rocket.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 5, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I just spent half an hour chasing down a stray yellow underground belt.

it's to the right of the lamp in my second screenshot

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Zetsubou-san posted:

5dim decorations to top it off.
What exactly does this add? I was looking at it the other day but there's no information on what it actually includes that I can find.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the decorations are some statues and doodads - letters that light up at night - and colored concrete

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How do you deal with aliens in the very beginning? I only have a pistol and a group of aliens just killed me, even when I was actually paying attention and shooting at them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Aliens didn't attack me until well after I had some walls and turrets up. I don't know if I was just lucky, but you should have time to research walls and maybe turrets before they attack.

It can also be dependent on your starting area I guess? If you have more trees, your pollution won't spread as far, buying you more time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also be extremely careful with burner miners. Those suckers output 10 pollution each, and it's really easy to lay down 10-15 and then get eaten by biters before you do anything else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Always keep up with your military research. If you're just figuring out the game, Military 1 should be one of the first techs you go for after automating red science, and then crafting a better weapon to handle things if you tick off some biters. The starting pistol is garbage and struggles to even win 1v1s against lone biters.

Once you've got that handled, make sure to build radars so you can see what's going on in your pollution cloud. If your pollution is hitting biter bases, prepare for attacks from that direction. If it's all clear, you can put it off for a bit (but keep an eye on things in case they decide to move back in or your pollution cloud gets bigger). If your pollution cloud is pushing outside your explored area, either prepare for attacks (just in case there's a biter base there), or build a radar out that way to scout it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also early research into military saves buildings. As soon as you have a shotgun you can take out nests more efficiently than spraying them with normal machine gun rounds. So long as you can kill the collective spawn of a group of nests without anything larger than a small worm you can slowly but surely pick it apart. Otherwise it's turrets and moving your production base further away from the problem until further research is made.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It was like 40 minutes in, I had a bunch of mines to extract coal, iron, and copper and not much else. No electricity yet, everything was coal-powered. Maybe that was the problem.

I'm going to restart and pay more attention to alien nests.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

uXs posted:

It was like 40 minutes in, I had a bunch of mines to extract coal, iron, and copper and not much else. No electricity yet, everything was coal-powered. Maybe that was the problem.

Get electricity up and running ASAP, burner miners and inserters put out wicked amounts of pollution compared to work done.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zetsubou-san posted:

I started a new map with SCT, RSO, Fat Controller, Greenhouse, the full bobs package (with config set to normal steel cost and cobalt mined from galena deposits), and 5dim decorations to top it off. Biter bases freq was set to low. bobs is the only mod i've used previously.

That's pretty much our current MP game apart from some config differences. SCT is a hell of a monster to feed though it's the actual real time required that gets irritating to me. Those basic components and things like transistors that get used 5 at a time are a bitch to supply. It's easier to build special factories for each user than try to make one big super producer. Drone and Dred are trying to bus our game but the thing is over a screen wide now, there's too much stuff in bobs to have a full bus of everything. How many days played to get the research all done or did you skip the robot follower X crud.

Zetsubou-san posted:

the decorations are some statues and doodads - letters that light up at night - and colored concrete

I got yelled at for making 110,000 concrete and using all the stone up (I'm the one going out and hooking up resources, I get to use some right?). I discovered the coloured concrete options on the 5dim page to a chorus of groans. Next time they're busy doing something it's time to colour code the factory.

uXs posted:

How do you deal with aliens in the very beginning? I only have a pistol and a group of aliens just killed me, even when I was actually paying attention and shooting at them.

If you have that many aliens that close to you, keep the pollution down until you have turrets or they will indeed overrun you. You can clear out bases with turrets and normal ammo but you'll need to be careful. AP once you get military 2 makes clearing the hostiles a whole lot easier.

zedprime posted:

e. For reference, floating 2300 gas that for the sake of argument came from cracking medium is enough material for 1/3 of a rocket.

You're right but that's my RSO save where oil is not easy to get and the supply tends to have large spikes when the tanker drops off in the depot. I don't like running the gas down too far in case the factory runs dry when I have to go find more oil to hook up.

Mod guys, how hard would it be to create something like a directional radio (name only, you wouldn't actually need to point it anywhere)? I'm thinking paired objects that you set to one of a few dozen channels, one sits in the base and the other in an outpost. Set the pair to the same channel and the one in the outpost sends it's red + green network info to the one in the base. Electric cost shouldn't be high, radio carries well - a few kw per 500 chunks or something? But they'd probably attract attacks like the radar does (they hear the beeping in their heads). I know you can run wires out via poles but that poo poo gets old real fast with far off outposts. If we can build rockets, why not packet radios.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

You're right but that's my RSO save where oil is not easy to get and the supply tends to have large spikes when the tanker drops off in the depot. I don't like running the gas down too far in case the factory runs dry when I have to go find more oil to hook up.
My tendency there would be to have a fat crude oil storage, because it can be anything it wants to be when it grows up and it can give you a one spot indicator of how well your crude supply is doing instead of the tail trying to wag the dog by tracking derivative products like gas. Account for how it needs to float based between your rail network and your average consumption and you can hook it up to warning lights and to have a foolproof crude defcon meter to yell at you to go find new oil.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ratzap posted:

That's pretty much our current MP game apart from some config differences. SCT is a hell of a monster to feed though it's the actual real time required that gets irritating to me. Those basic components and things like transistors that get used 5 at a time are a bitch to supply. It's easier to build special factories for each user than try to make one big super producer. Drone and Dred are trying to bus our game but the thing is over a screen wide now, there's too much stuff in bobs to have a full bus of everything. How many days played to get the research all done or did you skip the robot follower X crud.

i'm nowhere near finishing the research tree. Just finished getting bobscience packs going, and next I want to start my armor modules production going. But I need to lay out a new coal mine (just put the rail down to the deposit), make a rail line for zinc, find out where the gently caress tungsten is...

:factorio:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

uXs posted:

If you're mining coal and smelting iron and copper, you can get electricity up. You need copper for the water pump and iron for the steam engine and boilers, so maybe 2 coal mines feeding each other, 2-3 iron mines, 1 copper mine, all fed by hand.

A typical progression for me is:
- 1 pump, 3 boilers (the minimum for reaching 100 deg. C water) and 1 steam engine. You can feed this by hand.
- Add another steam engine. By now you should've set up electric miners for coal and maybe iron, so divert coal to feeding the boilers. (If you move fast enough, they'll still have coal from when you set them up.)
- Bump it up to 1 pump : 7 boilers : 5 steam engines. Will support a small factory and several miners.
- Then double it to the optimal 1 pump : 14 boilers : 10 steam engines. From here you just add more rows of 1 : 14 : 10, giving you 5 MW of power per row.
- Set up a second, smaller system, say 1 pump : 7 boilers : 5 steam engines, separate from your main network. Isolate your coal mines so they only draw power from here. This protects you from brownouts, if you can afford the coal to keep it all fed.

I usually hit 40 steam engines (4 rows of 1 : 14 : 10) by the time I'm setting up oil refining and blue science.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

My tendency there would be to have a fat crude oil storage, because it can be anything it wants to be when it grows up and it can give you a one spot indicator of how well your crude supply is doing instead of the tail trying to wag the dog by tracking derivative products like gas. Account for how it needs to float based between your rail network and your average consumption and you can hook it up to warning lights and to have a foolproof crude defcon meter to yell at you to go find new oil.

I have storage for 20,000 crude just now and having put on a new field it's nice and full. I'll rig something up to tell me when it drops below 50% which should be enough advance notice that the new field has run down and go find another.
I went back and checked, Jabor was right. It only needs two combinators to watch the tanks, the pump has all the addition/comparison logic inside it too and it doesn't matter which wire colour. I have to convince myself that these things are all counters, no Boolean behaviour is to be expected. I played some more to get a timer circuit going just to get my head round how Factorio handles these things. It's a game of counters, nothing more. Even setting something to 1 doesn't make that count 1, it just adds 1 to the current value. To reset something you have to stop outputting it. I used to program CNC stepladder controllers amongst other things in the early 90s so I should be able to grok this with a little study.

Zetsubou-san posted:

i'm nowhere near finishing the research tree. Just finished getting bobscience packs going, and next I want to start my armor modules production going. But I need to lay out a new coal mine (just put the rail down to the deposit), make a rail line for zinc, find out where the gently caress tungsten is...

:factorio:

Ah, I've been letting my game just sit there for hours to get the science to advance. Rocket silo took hours even with the labs working constantly, too much for my taste. Harder science is good, the stock goes way too fast and you can just throw labs at it but I think he's gone a bit overboard with SCT. I don't like having to play just so the science timer goes up. Driving around looking for deposits would be ok if it's weren't for the bloody rocks/trees everywhere.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

uXs posted:

If you're a beginner (and not playing on peaceful), it's not a bad idea to scum maps not only for decent starting resources, but until you don't start out in the middle of a desert. Pollution spread in a desert is the worst. (I'm assuming you were in a desert.)

Slime posted:

Get electricity up and running ASAP, burner miners and inserters put out wicked amounts of pollution compared to work done.

Burner miners are bad, but not as bad as I think most people assume. Under steam power, electric miners actually produce a tad more (9 + 90/65 = 10.38) on a time basis. They just mine so much faster (almost twice as fast) that as Slime says, burners are worse compared to work done (35.7 pollution vs 17.1 for one non-stone resource unit).

Inserters of all kinds don't pollute, except indirectly if you consider the pollution cost of fuel/electricity. Then, electric inserters are better unless they are operating very slowly (electrics have an idle drain, burners consume no energy when not working; the breakpoint if I remember correctly is roughly one insert per ~7 minute Factorio day). As always, solar changes the equation too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

I have storage for 20,000 crude just now and having put on a new field it's nice and full. I'll rig something up to tell me when it drops below 50% which should be enough advance notice that the new field has run down and go find another.
I went back and checked, Jabor was right. It only needs two combinators to watch the tanks, the pump has all the addition/comparison logic inside it too and it doesn't matter which wire colour. I have to convince myself that these things are all counters, no Boolean behaviour is to be expected. I played some more to get a timer circuit going just to get my head round how Factorio handles these things. It's a game of counters, nothing more. Even setting something to 1 doesn't make that count 1, it just adds 1 to the current value. To reset something you have to stop outputting it. I used to program CNC stepladder controllers amongst other things in the early 90s so I should be able to grok this with a little study.
I am not a computer scientist but even though the wires act as data channels everything is still Turing complete because you can apparently make any logic gate you want with the combinators, and go from there creating bits and memory to do practical boolean operations.

Not being a computer scientist, creating logic gates out of combinators seems like crazy town. If you want to cheat, smart chests of tokens make a decent memory set up, as you can use them as a bit or an accumulator if you can live with it taking time to flip the bit or increment/decrement the accumulator.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

I am not a computer scientist but even though the wires act as data channels everything is still Turing complete because you can apparently make any logic gate you want with the combinators, and go from there creating bits and memory to do practical boolean operations.

Not being a computer scientist, creating logic gates out of combinators seems like crazy town. If you want to cheat, smart chests of tokens make a decent memory set up, as you can use them as a bit or an accumulator if you can live with it taking time to flip the bit or increment/decrement the accumulator.

Sure, you can make any logic gate as long as you have NOT and one of AND or OR. Or, actually, you can make any gate as long as you have NOR or NAND.

NOR outputs 1 when both inputs are 0, which is equivalent to a Decider combinator set to "Input < 1." (Deciders automatically add the input values.)
NAND outputs 1 when both inputs are 0 or only one of them is 1. I'm thinking a Decider combinator set to "Input < 2" should work.

OR (Input > 0) and NOT (Input = 0) can be achieved using a Decider combinators, too, but AND is possible with an Arithmetic combinator set to "A * B". Or use 2 Decision combinators to chain a NAND and a NOT. Or maybe a Decision combinator with "Input > 1"?
The last common op is XOR, which is just "Input = 1."

If you want to do it entirely in terms of NAND and NOR, you totally can, but it's way less compact. Anyway, once you have that, you can do stuff like make latches (memory cells) and so on.

I haven't actually touched combinators at all, so I could be wrong on what comparisons you can do.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

This should be a gif of a yellow arm moving a fish from one wooden crate to the other.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

LordSaturn posted:

This should be a gif of a yellow arm moving a fish from one wooden crate to the other.

http://i.imgur.com/RNn9yaZ.gifv

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I have been playing the poo poo out of this for a week now. I finally made the rocket and shot a satellite into space. I didn't get the final victory screen though. Do I have to shoot multiple satellites?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

Sure, you can make any logic gate as long as you have NOT and one of AND or OR. Or, actually, you can make any gate as long as you have NOR or NAND.

NOR outputs 1 when both inputs are 0, which is equivalent to a Decider combinator set to "Input < 1." (Deciders automatically add the input values.)
NAND outputs 1 when both inputs are 0 or only one of them is 1. I'm thinking a Decider combinator set to "Input < 2" should work.

OR (Input > 0) and NOT (Input = 0) can be achieved using a Decider combinators, too, but AND is possible with an Arithmetic combinator set to "A * B". Or use 2 Decision combinators to chain a NAND and a NOT. Or maybe a Decision combinator with "Input > 1"?
The last common op is XOR, which is just "Input = 1."

If you want to do it entirely in terms of NAND and NOR, you totally can, but it's way less compact. Anyway, once you have that, you can do stuff like make latches (memory cells) and so on.

I haven't actually touched combinators at all, so I could be wrong on what comparisons you can do.

That's all pretty much laid out in this Friday facts post. Factorio may be Turing complete but it currently lacks ways to actually affect the factory. We can collect information, process it and display it but apart from small pumps and smart inserters, there are no other ways to affect production. In 0.13 we get switches and trains with CN logic so that adds some more controls. I'm hoping they keep going and add belts that can be switched on or off, smart splitter and so on. I'm also hot on the idea of automated warfare, going and killing nests myself is so drat barbaric.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The fish-go-round!
Here it is without arrows

http://i.imgur.com/Ztb9zBM.gifv

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
0.12.30 (Bugfix Release) is out! :toot:

Factorio Forums posted:

Changes
Mod checksums are calculated when the game starts and are compared with other peers when joining a multiplayer game. This is to ensure everyone has exactly the same mod in order to prevent desyncs caused by local changes made to mod files.

Bufixes
Fixed strange outer corner rendering for terrains with the same layer. (22159)
Fixed Factorio timing out of a multiplayer game when closed by pressing the X button (22106).
Building things after quitting a multiplayer game is no longer possible and no longer crashes the game. (21743)
Fixed memory leak with special signals in the circuit network.
Fixed crash when killing the player in on_built_entity. (22228)
Fixed crash when making blueprints of ghosts with some now-invalid circuit connections to other ghosts. (22272)
Fixed player's shooting target not updating properly when the target's force became friendly (22319)
Fixed the documentation of CircuitCondition (22230)
Fixed that the ignore_planner field of Command would expect an integer instead of a boolean. (22332)
Starting value of progress bar is now properly set based on the input. (22434)
Fixed crash when destroying entity with empty corpse string. (22254)
Fixed mining drills getting stuck when built pointing at rails and then rotated. (22764)
Fixed remote.call() within the same mod passing invalid data. (22459)
Fixed the typo in the error "mulitplayer.cannot-load-downloaded-map", the cause of the error wasn't displayed because of it. (22169)
Fixed that the server could get desynced and in a state where he has no one to download from. (22206)
Fixed that the train tooltip was showing the current station as the next one when in the station. (22280)
Fixed crash when a Lua function was used as a value in a table in data.raw (22992).
Fixed the tooltip of the inventory limit feature to "Limit the inventory part to be filled by machines.", so it is clear, it limits only input, but not output.
Fixed that cancelling a recipe in the crafting queue would reset the crafting timer unnecessarily (22823).
Fixed crash when a force other than player, enemy or neutral was used in autoplace specification (22935).
Fixed crash when a network interface is deactivated during multiplayer game (20078)
Fixed white bar on top of the screen was sometimes present in fullscreen on OS X (16720).
Unified the processing of savegame name in --load-game --start-server and --mp-load-game. It can all be supplied with or without the .zip
Fixed that collision with point wasn't working properly for curved rail. (22997)

Modding
Added LuaEntity::unit_group read-only attribute
Proper error message when subgroup specified by empty string. (22216)
Fixed projectiles with negative acceleration would turn around, fly back and break the game. (23127)

The mod loading thing is interesting, but I hope it doesn't slow down loading too much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

That's all pretty much laid out in this Friday facts post. Factorio may be Turing complete but it currently lacks ways to actually affect the factory. We can collect information, process it and display it but apart from small pumps and smart inserters, there are no other ways to affect production. In 0.13 we get switches and trains with CN logic so that adds some more controls. I'm hoping they keep going and add belts that can be switched on or off, smart splitter and so on. I'm also hot on the idea of automated warfare, going and killing nests myself is so drat barbaric.
Oh, wow, I was wondering why no good Factorio circuit fundamentals for idiots showed up when searching and it turns out it was just in a Friday Facts, besides being overkill for normal people.

Belts and splitters on the network would be a neat shortcut, but smart inserters can do their job for them if you have the space for an equivalent speed inserter construction. Trains, inserters, electricity, and pumps seem like the major levers you'd ever want to use and it seems like we are getting those missing two soon enough. Recipe select is a gut request, but then assemblers and space are usually cheap enough that you don't need to do double duty on a single set of assemblers.

I think the more important aspect is that there's no reason to ever use anything but a dumb set up. Oil is useful to have a smart set up, but can be broken on the anvil of ratios like anything else. At a glance inventory views are only of interest if you don't have ever increasing inputs. Small volume specialty items likes cars, tanks, power armor, and modular armor components are no big deal if you make a few too many or stop the process with partial requirements in the assemblers. And everything else falls under as much volume all the time, final products constrained by dumb chest limitations if its not a constant draw sort of thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Is there a mod that lets you do something with wood? After cutting a path through a few forests with my construction bots I have thousands upon thousands of pieces of it. I'd love to have some kind of recipe that lets you, I dunno, turn lots of wood into fewer units of something more energy dense, so that it's worth dumping into my boilers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I made a mod that replaces the iron sticks requirement for railways with wood. I wanted a use for wood that wouldn't require me to be actively getting more, and you acquire wood and use rail in the same situations.
I also replaced the iron stick requirements for everything else with other things, and removed iron sticks. I don't really like iron sticks.

I haven't published it, but I'll share if you want it.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Slime posted:

Is there a mod that lets you do something with wood? After cutting a path through a few forests with my construction bots I have thousands upon thousands of pieces of it. I'd love to have some kind of recipe that lets you, I dunno, turn lots of wood into fewer units of something more energy dense, so that it's worth dumping into my boilers.

A unit of wood is 4MJ, coal is 8MJ. I dunno about you, but that feels to me like enough to be worth dumping into boilers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If it gets to the point where you have 3000 bits of wood just make it a loop and have an inserter pull wood from a chest to put onto the belt, you'll not have to think about it for a while either.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Moddington posted:

A unit of wood is 4MJ, coal is 8MJ. I dunno about you, but that feels to me like enough to be worth dumping into boilers.

You're really underestimating how inefficient and electricity hungry my base is.

Also, is there a mod or something that adds a liquid container for trains? I've found a nice big oilfield, but it's both miles away from my base and on the opposite side to where I've got all my oil refining set up. If I could just set up a train that could deliver liquid crude directly rather than having to take away filled barrels and deliver back empties that would be great.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Rail Tanker: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=6847

Easily one of the most popular mods for Factorio. I wouldn't be surprised if they add it to the base game at some point.
(Unless they've specifically spoken out against that?)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm surprised they don't already have a rail tanker. Right now it's either mile-long pipeline or boatloads of crude oil barrels shipped by train, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I believe they specifically want to add tanker cars but had to delay it beyond 0.13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Lately I've been trying to train oil in by barrel, and I have to say it is a LOT faster and easier than I thought it might be. A typical Big Oilfield produces 70 barrels per train round trip, which (compared to 1500 ore) loads and unloads instantaneously so you can have the train stop for 5 or even 0 seconds. Plus it plays nice with your logistics bots.