Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Very cool LP, thanks for doing it and for not subjecting us to endless repetitive planets and mako driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thesaya posted:

Thank you for this LP Subponticate Poster! I have enjoyed it immensely.

Another thing though, I really don't get everyone being so uncomfortable with Liara's age. She says that she is barely an adult by her species standards. I interpret that as her age corresponding to 18/19 human years. Shepard is 30 at the most by my estimate, probably somewhat younger. Is that really such a huge age difference?
Yeah, 30 and 18 is huge, but I don't think it applies.

Other asari have implied that they become sexually mature by 40 and commonly leave home by 60. So Liara has probably been living as an adult for longer than Shepard's been alive, and by "barely an adult," I think she means the equivalent of "only a few years out of college." If she was really the equivalent of an 18-year-old I doubt she'd be leading archaeological expeditions on the edge of Alliance space.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You can also interpret it as Liara having been in academia her whole life, as a graduate student/post doc, and not having a ton of relative real world experience at (say) the relative age of 25 compared to a peer who graduated high school and became a commando at age 18.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

All and all it's just an awkward way of framing a possible romantic partner's age and maturity since the game stresses that difference. It's like Bioware was doing its own take on the preteen-looking girls who're actually thousand year old witches so it's totally okay except that Liara may also have a degree of mental immaturity for her species too. However it makes a smidgen of sense in that a lot of the actual gamers would be pretty young themselves, 14-21-ish, even though the PC is 30, so doing mental gymnastics to invent an pseudo-18 year old LI isn't wholly a creepy endeavor.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Overthinking things also makes it more awkward. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I'd say having a whole species of blue space babes who are totally dtf in the first place was much sillier than Liara herself is.

ME1 really does have the best ending of the series and I wish I'd been able to reach it. Cutting back and forth between the space battle and the boss fight reminds me a lot of the climax of Return of the Jedi. 2 was great aside from one very silly-looking thing and 3 was just an astonishing failure, although the later games had plenty of other amazing set pieces to make up for it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's right, she may be jailbait, but she's our jailbait!

Liara goes through an almost absurd personality shift between the two games, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Chiming in Kudos for the LP! Twas a fine ride it was. Even if I never got over the difference in look between your Shepard and mine.

grack posted:

Liara goes through an almost absurd personality shift between the two games, though.

Them Space Jailbaits grow up fast around these here parts. The Space World's not too kind to those of their persuasion.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

grack posted:

its definitely absurd. Her voice acting makes me laugh every time in 2!

im of the opinion that liara is basically high-functioning autist among the asari, so if you sleep with her in 1 you are basically a pedophile and exploiting someone with a disability.

its like seducing buster bluth when he's 16.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Up Circle posted:

im of the opinion that liara is basically high-functioning autist among the asari, so if you sleep with her in 1 you are basically a pedophile and exploiting someone with a disability.

Do you write for Fox News by any chance? I remember a controversy from there around the time of this game's release. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Thesaya posted:

Thank you for this LP Subponticate Poster! I have enjoyed it immensely.

Another thing though, I really don't get everyone being so uncomfortable with Liara's age. She says that she is barely an adult by her species standards. I interpret that as her age corresponding to 18/19 human years. Shepard is 30 at the most by my estimate, probably somewhat younger. Is that really such a huge age difference?
Glad you liked it. Shepard is 28 or 29 at the beginning of ME, depending on when it actually starts in 2183 (according to the wiki Shep's DOB is 4/11/2154). Like HJ says, Liara's equivalent in human years is probably early 20's. So not a big deal, it's just the framing/language used. "Barely more than a child" is gross phrasing no matter how you look at it. And the fact that they keep bringing it up. Nobody in their early 20s refers to themselves that way; you're a grownup now damnit and are more likely to brag about it than downplay it. If they wanted to stress Liara's naivete/nerdishness, then have her state flat out "I'd be the equivalent of 24 or so" and then point out all the poo poo she hasn't done by that age that other Asari have with the "but I spend my time on my research" line. Like if you're in your late 20s it's legal to date an 18 year old, but you'd probably look askance at someone who did. Hence us all taking the piss. This goes away because Liara matures a gently caress of a lot between the end of 1 and the main story of 2, I guess the developers realized their mistake.

And since we're all here I'll get some feedback. For the play-along-at-home game for the next thread you will need some supplies. I can either come back here and post what you need before making the new thread (which may kind of spoil things), I can make the first post and give a 24-hour window for folks to assemble things without putting up the video right away (which may confuse or upset people), or I can do a normal thread with the reveal and video up (which may mean you won't have the stuff to play along). Thoughts?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Liara's just spent so much time around dead things that she doesn't understand how other things in the real world work, kind of like Nathan Drake :v:

Now Tali, theeeeeere's a character that could have used a push in years. However we already know all too well that Bioware are a little too accommodating of their fans'...favourite characters

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean, Tali is basically undertaking her Quarian Bar Mitzvah right now isn't she

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Glad you liked it. Shepard is 28 or 29 at the beginning of ME, depending on when it actually starts in 2183 (according to the wiki Shep's DOB is 4/11/2154). Like HJ says, Liara's equivalent in human years is probably early 20's. So not a big deal, it's just the framing/language used. "Barely more than a child" is gross phrasing no matter how you look at it. And the fact that they keep bringing it up. Nobody in their early 20s refers to themselves that way; you're a grownup now damnit and are more likely to brag about it than downplay it.
Liara is a millennial. I bet Matriarch Benezia called her grad school to bug them about her application.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Liara is a millennial. I bet Matriarch Benezia called her grad school to bug them about her application.

That explains how she gets XP even when she doesn't go on missions, it's a reward for participating.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

And since we're all here I'll get some feedback. For the play-along-at-home game for the next thread you will need some supplies. I can either come back here and post what you need before making the new thread (which may kind of spoil things), I can make the first post and give a 24-hour window for folks to assemble things without putting up the video right away (which may confuse or upset people), or I can do a normal thread with the reveal and video up (which may mean you won't have the stuff to play along). Thoughts?

ME2 is 6 years old at this point, I think spoiling is fine (even if you're doing something new).

Aces High posted:

Now Tali, theeeeeere's a character that could have used a push in years. However we already know all too well that Bioware are a little too accommodating of their fans'...favourite characters

It's not Tali's age or the "little sister" relationship that makes Tali's romance super creepy, though they definitely contribute.

It's super creepy because the romance is essentially Shepard taking advantage of an emotionally traumatized woman who just found the mutilated corpse of her father.

"Oh, Tali, I'm so sorry we just found the mutilated corpse of your father and you had to see him get branded a traitor and officially disowned by your people! So, uh, Alabama crag dangle?"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

ME2 is 6 years old at this point, I think spoiling is fine (even if you're doing something new).
Oh I don't give a poo poo about spoiling the game, I don't want to give away the gimmick, as it were. :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The gimmick can't be elegantly revealed after the first video/tutorial area? :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Nope, it's baked in from the get-go :haw:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oooh I hope the Goon-made Mass Effect colouring book is part of the next LP!

I gave some of the sheets to my students when I was teaching ESL and got some loving hilarious "Make your own Hero!" sheets. Wish I had kept them.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

JT Jag posted:

I mean, Tali is basically undertaking her Quarian Bar Mitzvah right now isn't she

No, the Quarians are Mormon analogues (by virtue of being the direct analogue of the colonists and the cylons from Battlestar Galactica.), which means she's in her missionary phase: 18-24. Considering that she didn't just start her pilgrimage, probably not just now 18.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The whole series goes out of the way to make the point that human-Asari relationships are awkward. We're all tweenage schoolchildren compared to a matriarch like Benezia and any Asari falling in love with a human has to accept that they're going to be without them for most of their life.

MA-Horus posted:

Oooh I hope the Goon-made Mass Effect colouring book is part of the next LP!

I gave some of the sheets to my students when I was teaching ESL and got some loving hilarious "Make your own Hero!" sheets. Wish I had kept them.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/MESS/ME2ColoringBook.pdf

Looking forward to 2Mass2Effect!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Nope, it's baked in from the get-go :haw:

Sounds spooky but your own judgement on a secret thing is probably best, though I guess another option is just using this thread w/a title change and maybe an updated OP for the rest of the trilogy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I forgot how goddamn guddamn funny that coloring book was.

hard counter posted:

Sounds spooky but your own judgement on a secret thing is probably best, though I guess another option is just using this thread w/a title change and maybe an updated OP for the rest of the trilogy.
After mulling it over I think I'll go with the second option. Post the OP with ME2's background and instructions for the first video, then post the video the next day. It's really only the first update that'll be an issue, since after that we'll have the thread rolling and I can post the stuff a couple of days before the next update.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hooooooooly poo poo this is loving hilarious. I'm gonna print one of these off to ease my finals stress

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aces High posted:

hooooooooly poo poo this is loving hilarious. I'm gonna print one of these off to ease my finals stress
What did Joker's mom tell him before his pilot's test?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

:aaaaa:

That's truly amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm printing it out right now!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gonna have to print that too, the C-c-calibrations page is perfect.

I was not aware that you could get Saren to realise that he is a massive gently caress up and off himself. That's incredible, and for the first time I actually feel bad watching him writhe around as the Reaper takes him over.

The guy was an rear end in a top hat space-racist (like the other person we killed/allowed to die! :D), but we gave him the chance to do the right thing and he took it. Shepard's grin at the end when as she limped away from her victory? Well deserved.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What do you call a human colonist on Zhu's Hope? Leif!

What do you call his son? Bud!

What do you call an asari colonist on Zhu's Hope? Flora!

RickVoid posted:

Gonna have to print that too, the C-c-calibrations page is perfect.

I was not aware that you could get Saren to realise that he is a massive gently caress up and off himself. That's incredible, and for the first time I actually feel bad watching him writhe around as the Reaper takes him over.

The guy was an rear end in a top hat space-racist (like the other person we killed/allowed to die! :D), but we gave him the chance to do the right thing and he took it. Shepard's grin at the end when as she limped away from her victory? Well deserved.
Yeah, your reward for being a Paragon of justice and mutual cooperation is that you can Hannibal Lecter a crazy man into blowing his brains out.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's especially good since the way to convince him to stop is to basically say "dude what, no, have you not been paying ANY attention to what happened to the Prothreans and everyone who came before them?"

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Glad you liked it. Shepard is 28 or 29 at the beginning of ME, depending on when it actually starts in 2183 (according to the wiki Shep's DOB is 4/11/2154). Like HJ says, Liara's equivalent in human years is probably early 20's. So not a big deal, it's just the framing/language used. "Barely more than a child" is gross phrasing no matter how you look at it. And the fact that they keep bringing it up. Nobody in their early 20s refers to themselves that way; you're a grownup now damnit and are more likely to brag about it than downplay it. If they wanted to stress Liara's naivete/nerdishness, then have her state flat out "I'd be the equivalent of 24 or so" and then point out all the poo poo she hasn't done by that age that other Asari have with the "but I spend my time on my research" line. Like if you're in your late 20s it's legal to date an 18 year old, but you'd probably look askance at someone who did. Hence us all taking the piss. This goes away because Liara matures a gently caress of a lot between the end of 1 and the main story of 2, I guess the developers realized their mistake.

So that means Shep is 33 in ME3? Guess he really is space jesus.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

So that means Shep is 33 in ME3? Guess he really is space jesus.
Citadel takes place 3 days after the red ending :v:

New thread will be up this weekend, FYI.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I know you picked Anderson because everyone does, but it's worth seeing what happens when you pick Udina. It really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXepxOFw9k

also thematically it works out better this way because Bioware doesn't care what your choice was. Might as well just go with it :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always got this odd feeling that Anderson was kinda terrible at his job (being a naval officer and also later being a Councilman because who didn't pick him?) I think part of that comes of him mostly existing to encourage and boost Shepard and not really having much character on his own except to be 'you but kinda less good at things and 20 years older'.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I was always kind of pissed at Anderson because despite the fact that you're nominally in control of a ship through three games he never actually gives you your Captain's rank.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

we've been through this, it is perfectly normal for Shepard to stay a Commander when her ship is small. She's not in charge of a cruiser and she's not heading up a flotilla or even a patrol. The only reason to give her a promotion is...honorary?

Let's also not forget that after Sovereign she got shuffled off on useless poo poo so it's pretty obvious the Alliance top brass won't give her a promotion either. Besides, Captains don't go on away missions, they're too valuable for that

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My true waifu Tali calls me captain and that's good enough for me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aces High posted:

Besides, Captains don't go on away missions, they're too valuable for that
Star Trek has taught me that the captain always gets first dibs for a spot on any away mission. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I JUST WANT A FANCY CAPTAIN'S HAT IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK :saddowns:

(though to be fair it's probably reasonable that you don't get a captain's rank in ME2)

• Locked thread