Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whoever leaked the SQ42 draft into the latest PU update should leak a youtube link to the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The big rework he's been talking about is actually the Star Citizen launcher downloading and running Elite.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The horror!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
page 3000 came and went, but the paaarps go on.

heres some :

SEE THEY ARE WORKING ON SCPU, and not throwing everything at SQ42,

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/325706/should-cig-temporarily-halt-sc-in-favour-of-all-out-sq42

ha.

paaarp

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I made this. Parp.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
CIG forums are gold today.

In which a person finds out how lovely there store scamming is.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...uture-update/p4

BUT ITS TURBULENTS FAULT, etc etc.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

lol

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

SC Procedural planets lookin' real good. I think we might be wrong, and this might end up being a great game after all, guys.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lime Tonics posted:

page 3000 came and went, but the paaarps go on.
Is that the Oscar-bait theme song to the epic movie about a sinking ship?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

here's the original
https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/KEhuNnMkS4TUqwKNgkM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'd go for the server tech job if its still open.

I'm assuming they want one that just cold call data farms and begs down the phone line to give them a massive discount to match the potato allowance server running will have.
I bet you I could trade a few ships for server blades.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rudager posted:

This confuses me, are they handcrafting planets or generating them with a procedural algorithm?
Best of both worlds. They're procedurally generating them by hand.

Unfortunately the first planet won't be ready until the heat death of the universe. Quality takes time.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Natron posted:

SC Procedural planets lookin' real good. I think we might be wrong, and this might end up being a great game after all, guys.

David lynch's Minecraft.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I want to play Sentinel on Ben's diabetic face.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

tooterfish posted:

Best of both worlds. They're procedurally generating them by hand.

Unfortunately the first planet won't be ready until the heat death of the universe. Quality takes time.

But by that point they'll have the process nailed down so they can really start churning 'em out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

runsamok posted:

It was likely bought during the last round of sales as a show of solidarity with CIG over chairgate & he's likely too devoted to giving CR any "spare" money he can that he didn't wanna slum it with the grey market & pick up an LTI ship to CCU to a Scout from.

That's the thing. That's what people that can't believe the 40k aren't understanding: there are many people that are so spergy and OCD that they basically give Croberts every spare cent they make. Combine that with all the convoluted melt/unmelt/ccu/CCu token/merch/buying accounts for your friends/12 month old daughter/for two boxing/etc and I find it very easy to believe the 40k a day.

The only reason it even dropped down to 19k or whatever last year was because it was right before their massive three month long nerd milking sale.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

MilesK posted:

So is SQ42 not going to have planets? Or you just can't land on any of them?

What do you even do other than have bad speeches thrown at you?

I think that's pretty much it.

I'm not being funny or anything. You saw the size of the script, they have four motion capture studios, the motion capture has rumored to cost tens of millions at this point. EightAce and others have dropped things like "Ten hours of cutscenes or more"

So it's really going to be an embarassingly long movie that is uncomfortably bad and you might get some ship flight missions every hour or two.

Basically if Freespace 2 had a two hour terrible cutscene before every mission, and then the space flight sucked too.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

that looks annoying as poo poo in VR

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

starkebn posted:

that looks annoying as poo poo in VR

It's OK, just sort of really normal

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Welcome all new posters to the thread!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Dunno, I enjoy his posting for it's inaccuracy.

He seems to conflate 'encryption in motion' with 'encryption at rest'. TLS usually handles the encryption in motion, while PGP allows you to encrypt at rest - FWIW I was throwing around copies of PGP in 1996 as Phil was uploading them. Also, RSA hasn't been cracked without knowing the content of the original message, but it's not something that we use except for key exchange because it's computationally expensive; after you exchange keys, you're usually using ECDHE for the rest of the communications.

"because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked"

Technically true, but in practice not true. Most attacks on RSA involve knowing the message or part of the message, then narrowing entropy. Most work by the NSA recently involved weakening encryption by lowering the entropic pool, or creating a system that could be predicted.

Anything lower than RSA/ECDHE is laughably easy to break, but generally because it was a weak encryption to begin with; we shifted to RSA in around 1999 and never looked back.

This is why the law relies on compulsion to give up keys rather than simply brute-forcing things. Criminal law. not civil.

"In case it wasn't obvious, deleted text messages on every phone can be recovered by every digital forensics team on the planet. "

That's because they're sent in the clear via centralized servers, dumbass. Florida's been using Stingrays for years to intercept this poo poo, sidestepping the legal questions by signing NDAs. SMS is in no way encrypted.

No, only a complete moron would arrive at that conclusion.

I didn't say ANYTHING about encryption methodologies, tech or ANYTHING of the sort. The point of my missive was tell people to use encrypted services for sensitive material, and that while email is encrypted in transit (SSL, TLS etc), it CAN still be READ in plaintext at the start (sender) and end (receiver) points. So ANYONE with access to EITHER of those, CAN read the email. Either through hacking, forensics data dumps etc. THAT was the POINT.

Again, here is the complete text of my missive. And it was ONE SINGLE loving LINE which I even wrote in plain layman terms. Yet, here we are.

quote:

Yes, pretty much. They can subpoena web forum postings. Not that it would do them any good, because it would be virtually impossible to connect user names to IP addresses.

The biggest flaw is that, anyone buying avatars here on SA, would need to use a credit card, PayPal etc. That can be tied to a web forum account and the original owner can be uncovered easily. A gift card makes it a bit harder, but unless you paid cash for the gift card, it can be traced to a person.

The other thing is that they can't issue a subpoena without an active lawsuit. So they'd have to sue someone (even a bunch of John Doe) in order to get that from a judge. They simply cannot issue a blanket subpoena without providing some info as to who/what they're searching for. Only the US govt. can do that when they issue such subpoenas for IP address info etc.

Which is precisely why I always tell sources, if you're going to post about anything online, use a browser proxy, Tor etc, don't buy anything etc. And use something like Lockbin.com, privnote.com or noteshred.com to pass along throw-away sensitive data.

And, no, you shouldn't be using email encrypted comms because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked. Plus, you can't rely on the other party to have an end-point (e.g. PGP) key.

In case it wasn't obvious, deleted text messages on every phone can be recovered by every digital forensics team on the planet. If the judge grants a subpoena, or you turn over your devices willingly (you'd be a loving idiot to do that, knowing how DIFFICULT it is for a judge to grant them such a subpoena without cause) - and you have incriminating stuff on it and which rises to the level of a breach of your work NDA; you're hosed.

Important note:

- saying your boss is a loving moron isn't an NDA breach. it's free speech opinion. you're in the clear.

- saying your boss is ripping off the company isn't an NDA breach. it's defamation. you're hosed if it's false.

- saying that the work being done on the game is hosed, is a breach of an NDA. you're hosed either way since it's related to work.

First rule of spycraft. Trust no-one. Not even the person you're giving stuff to; unless you really trust them, or you trust someone who vouches for, and trusts them.

e.g. I gave this Star Citizen story to various media (contrary to Spergs belief, The Escapist was not one of them) outlets, all but two opted to bury the story. Then they came calling when The Escapist story hit. I ignored them. And when this poo poo-show finally explodes, I'm going to be naming names, dates, details etc. I'm going to loving burn all of them to the ground for being complicit. I have it on good authority that at least one writer for a major gaming outlet, revealed one of my sources to RSI/CIG. Funny thing is, I found out from another source inside RSI/CIG.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Has anyone explained yet why they bothered to model a Star Citizen's tongue and eyeballs? Did they model his dick inside his pants too? With fidelitious swinging and nutsack-sticking-to-thigh action?

There's no mystery why this game runs like poo poo between the over-modelling of every resource and the gigabytes of network traffic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The only thing better than people trying to own Derek Smart Forums Master on a technical matter based entirely on the ambiguity of a sentence structure is Derek Smart's responses to them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek's never lost an argument.

His secret is he just keeps the argument going until the other guy dies of old age.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Derek do you have high blood pressure? I'm concerned.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

starkebn posted:

Has anyone explained yet why they bothered to model a Star Citizen's tongue and eyeballs? Did they model his dick inside his pants too? With fidelitious swinging and nutsack-sticking-to-thigh action?

Because most games with reasonably detailed character models do that, especially if they'll be used in close-ups in cutscenes. SC may overdo it on the details and the extent of the modelling, but that's about it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think modelling the inside of the mouth and the eyeballs is pretty much standard now for these sorts of high-detail games. Otherwise you have static, lifeless eyes and painted on or hollow void mouths.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6533726/#Comment_6533726

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6533807/#Comment_6533807

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

FrankieGoes posted:

That's the thing. That's what people that can't believe the 40k aren't understanding: there are many people that are so spergy and OCD that they basically give Croberts every spare cent they make. Combine that with all the convoluted melt/unmelt/ccu/CCu token/merch/buying accounts for your friends/12 month old daughter/for two boxing/etc and I find it very easy to believe the 40k a day.

The only reason it even dropped down to 19k or whatever last year was because it was right before their massive three month long nerd milking sale.

I'd wager the new "small miner" comes in around $50-75 in order to try and replicate the effect again. Or they'll round out the "Tier 2" starters like the Reliant.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

starkebn posted:

There's no mystery why this game runs like poo poo between the over-modelling of every resource and the gigabytes of network traffic.

Procedurally generated bollocks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

No, only a complete moron would arrive at that conclusion.

I didn't say ANYTHING about encryption methodologies, tech or ANYTHING of the sort. The point of my missive was tell people to use encrypted services for sensitive material, and that while email is encrypted in transit (SSL, TLS etc), it CAN still be READ in plaintext at the start (sender) and end (receiver) points. So ANYONE with access to EITHER of those, CAN read the email. Either through hacking, forensics data dumps etc. THAT was the POINT.

Again, here is the complete text of my missive. And it was ONE SINGLE loving LINE which I even wrote in plain layman terms. Yet, here we are.

I dunno man are you sure?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Skellybones posted:

I think modelling the inside of the mouth and the eyeballs is pretty much standard now for these sorts of high-detail games. Otherwise you have static, lifeless eyes and painted on or hollow void mouths.

Aka Archermouths!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Procedurally generated bollocks

Preferable to machine-pressed ones, that's for sure.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

Preferable to machine-pressed ones, that's for sure.

I squinted then

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Dusty Lens posted:

Of all the rumors I hope not to be true it'd be the one of hiring yourself a nutritionist while your number one fan eats himself to death at the desk across the room.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Skellybones posted:

So for people like Humility, it'd be just like their own every day life.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
TGS mentions he has ex-girlfriend who agrees with him on the nature of promises. TGS is also fine with their $1250 Idris being rendered useless to them "Because I understand that things are subject to change".

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6534006/#Comment_6534006

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

:gary: :siren: NEW WHALE :frogsiren: DETECTED :siren: :yarg:

So, how can you tell (from the data), that it was a single purchase?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcinus posted:

I've wasted way too much time on this.

:golfclap: :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

So, how can you tell (from the data), that it was a single purchase?

You can't, the supposition is that a single spike which has a value near a know package price point is the result of a Whale being born.

Question: does anyone here think that CIG has a full list of the ships it has promised backers?

• Locked thread