Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

What An Original And Funny Chirp I Wish I Would Have Thought Of It

Still waiting to see your celly when you score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pleads posted:

Still waiting to see your celly when you score

If

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My middle D team (the #3 seed, though we were #6 going into the final regular season game) just took down the #1 team in our division to take home the championship. We beat them 4-0, playing really responsibly and just shutting down their top players.

Earned ourselves a commemorative beer mug, a pizza party, and a move down to the next lower division.

:negative:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

bgreman posted:

My middle D team (the #3 seed, though we were #6 going into the final regular season game) just took down the #1 team in our division to take home the championship. We beat them 4-0, playing really responsibly and just shutting down their top players.

Earned ourselves a commemorative beer mug, a pizza party, and a move down to the next lower division.

:negative:

Was the commissioner playing for the other team? On the bright side, think of how well your team will do next season.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How many days of suspension does whipping your stick over the boards to protest a call get you? The captain for the team I was on last Fall got ejected with a game misconduct after he performed this very action in the championship game. loving D League... Apparently they're going to discuss that during the captain's meeting on Thursday since it happened in the championship game and they couldn't enforce the suspension until this season.

Also, I start my first league season as goalie on Sunday, so I'm pretty excited about that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a game I guess?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

He's on the "repeat offender" list. I'd say they'd give him 2-3 games to prove a point.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
There was so much stick throwing in my game last night. And from a team that played a very clean, sportsmanlike game. I don't get it.

Vargatron posted:

Also, I start my first league season as goalie on Sunday, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Congrats!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have picked up the sticks and collected them on your bench.

"Oh you threw it away, I thought you were done with it."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

How many days of suspension does whipping your stick over the boards to protest a call get you? The captain for the team I was on last Fall got ejected with a game misconduct after he performed this very action in the championship game. loving D League... Apparently they're going to discuss that during the captain's meeting on Thursday since it happened in the championship game and they couldn't enforce the suspension until this season.

This happened in our championship game a couple seasons ago. Questionable goal call in OT gave us the win, then dude on the other team proceeded to toss his stick and helmet across the ice. Nothing happened to him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Have any of you Sharks Ice goons taken their hockey learn to skate classes? Specifically, I just signed up for the advanced hockey class that starts tomorrow night and I'm curious if anyone has experience with it and could give me an idea of what they do or focus on.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The advanced class is full of people who really suck (like EE level). They do some skating mostly for conditioning and some shooting drills, but try and clump up with the five or six competent players there or you'll never receive an on target pass.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

V for Vegans posted:

Was the commissioner playing for the other team? On the bright side, think of how well your team will do next season.

I don't think the move was for competitive purposes. Basically, due to other team movements, our current division wound up with 7 teams, and the division below us had 5, so we got moved. I think after the first three games of the season they'll re-assess and swap us back up.

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Habibi posted:

Have any of you Sharks Ice goons taken their hockey learn to skate classes? Specifically, I just signed up for the advanced hockey class that starts tomorrow night and I'm curious if anyone has experience with it and could give me an idea of what they do or focus on.

I have not. I didn't even know this was a thing. I'm kind of tempted to sign up, just for ice at the same time every week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We lost our first playoff game tonight 6-0 against a lovely team that we were better than. We out shot them 32-21 or something close. We controlled the puck more, we just couldn't find the net.

It was one of those games that just got fuckier as it went on. The most random goals went in (our goalie let 2-3 soft ones in, one of our defenseman who is normally a wing played defense and resulted in 2-3 goals), their poo poo goalie had angels from that movie guiding him into these ugly floppy saves ... we just figured out every possible way to lose the game and got beat. It wasn't dirty, it was a good clean game we just lost bad.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chemmy posted:

The advanced class is full of people who really suck (like EE level). They do some skating mostly for conditioning and some shooting drills, but try and clump up with the five or six competent players there or you'll never receive an on target pass.

Not the most encouraging thing to hear, but I guess I'll see how it goes. My primary goal is working on stamina and high speed / in-game situations, basically things I find hard to do at Gretzky hours, under the eye of a formal trainer, something my self taught technique has never benefited from. So worst case scenario I'll at least get that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience, after touring every drop in learn to skate within 30 miles of me, you get as much out of a clinic as you put in to it. If there's a bender struggling with transitions there's no reason you don't skate around them and work your rear end off.

Coaches aren't dumb either, they spot the better skaters instantly and will tend to give suggestions to make a drill more difficult or offer more specific technique advice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Scored my first Silver A goal last night :toot:

We kind of pasted this team together about a week before the registration deadline. 3 games in and we're starting to click as a team already. Only lost 4-3 to the defending champs, whom are half made up of the lovely refs at our rink, one being the jerkoff who wrote up the report I previously posted.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I've played 3 games Sunday, 2 Monday, 2 Tuesday. Of those, 4 were sub games. Today I received my 6th and 7th goalie sub request this week.

What the gently caress happened to all the goalies around here? Bradf0rd, is B1 anything like this?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Habibi posted:

Not the most encouraging thing to hear, but I guess I'll see how it goes. My primary goal is working on stamina and high speed / in-game situations, basically things I find hard to do at Gretzky hours, under the eye of a formal trainer, something my self taught technique has never benefited from. So worst case scenario I'll at least get that.

You'll get stamina, you won't get high speed in game situations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The only place you get high speed in game situations is in game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You mean the bungee cords strapped around my waist that flung me down the ice for overspeed training can't be duplicated in game????

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

sellouts posted:

You mean the bungee cords strapped around my waist that flung me down the ice for overspeed training can't be duplicated in game????

Is it legal to have teammates launch a player with bungee cords to get a massive break away?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chemmy posted:

You'll get stamina, you won't get high speed in game situations.

Higher speed / in-game-ish? Whatever, I'll settle for anything that ends up reinforcing good habits and making me think less about what I'm doing.

xzzy posted:

In my experience, after touring every drop in learn to skate within 30 miles of me, you get as much out of a clinic as you put in to it.

Yeah, definitely. And the motivation from a formal drilling environment is a big part of what I'm looking for.

Also I'm totally jealous that there are enough places with hockey lessons within 30 miles of you to warrant a tour.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago isn't Canada levels of density, but we're far enough north to have a pretty good number of rinks. The entire state has about 70.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

So I've played 3 games Sunday, 2 Monday, 2 Tuesday. Of those, 4 were sub games. Today I received my 6th and 7th goalie sub request this week.

What the gently caress happened to all the goalies around here? Bradf0rd, is B1 anything like this?

Good question. I think it's mostly the 6:30 start times that people can't make after work. B1 isn't having the same problem, though. I've only subbed in two games this season in B1 but have turned down at least five B2 games because of timing. The last game I subbed for was your team, though. :haw:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Update Re: Stick Whipping Team Captain

The guy got 5 games out of a 15 game season. Additionally the league director sent out an e-mail that enforced a zero tolerance policy regarding cussing and disagreeing with referee judgements. Automatic game misconduct.

Hopefully that doesn't extend to "incidental" cussing, because I tend to say gently caress after every goal I let in.

In other news, I apparently got placed on a team with a pretty solid defense. Hopefully I won't gently caress it up and let in soft goals.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I learned how to reliably get the puck off the floor last night and promptly used it to bean the puck off of some guys helmet.

Sorry guy! My bad!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't want to live in a world where I can't let loose a gently caress after I make a dumb play.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I hope the rule reads as "zero tolerance for cussing at the ref".

The guy that got suspended was a repeat offender and noted shithead. I think this is his last straw before being banned from the league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume it only means you can't cuss out the refs. If you're going all Elias' death scene after putting a puck off the post and use a curse word, I doubt anyone's gonna give a poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

God drat if I wasn't allowed to loving swear, I would have been kicked out of the league like the first minute.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I was looking at one of the games that happened last night, and during the game, one player got a 10min Misconduct for "Abuse of an official"

One of the refs happened to be the son of the goaltender of the other team. Curious...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you don't respond to all incidences of contact with "gently caress off bud" you're not playing the game right.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

prom candy posted:

If you don't respond to all incidences of contact with "gently caress off bud" you're not playing the game right.

This but unironic

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think the officials like my ability to chirp them and other players. Cursing is involved.

If I step over the line I apologize the next game or whatever. It's chill. You can get away with a lot by being a normal human being.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I make a few humble jokes that can't possibly be taken as anything other than a joke to the refs early on in the game, set the tone early. Settle down and be genuine with them if you don't understand a call, most times they'll explain it to you so long as you don't start the conversation with "what the flaming gently caress you blind piece of poo poo?"

I don't know, maybe just don't be a dick head. I know enough refs and I've have had to sub as one a few times. Yeah there are good and bad ones but that's to be expected. They don't get paid enough for the bullshit they have to deal with on a regular basis. They show up to our terrible hockey games at absurd times during the week so that we can play lovely hockey. It's not the nhl, one bad call isn't going to make or break your career as an amateur beer leaguer and if you're still thinking about it all week, you might be are a try hard.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

Won our first game of the season for my Thursday team! Actually our second, but the last win the other team did not have a goalie.

I scored beautiful backhand top shelf(with a sweet celly) on a penalty shot in a tied game with 14 seconds left to win the game, and tied for the scoring lead for the division. :smug: Feels good today man!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ Ban that guy for not giving us a blow-by-blow on the celly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't want to live in a world where I can't let loose a gently caress after I make a dumb play.

Wouldn't be beer league if you also didn't slam your stick into the boards as well.