Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like, what would be the cost/benefit of this. Obviously shipping a new print out to theaters and more marketing budget, also the fact that everyone who is die hard has already seen the movie in theaters. Presumably it would also have to be prior (or concurrent with?) the bluray release in July.

It sounds like bull although it is funny, I was actually thinking "I wonder what the logistics of them releasing the director's cut simultaneously with the studio release would have been" when I was sitting down to watch this again earlier (second viewing, it owned again).

If one 6 year old accidentally walked into R-Rated Batman it would never, ever happen ever again, having them both in theaters in the same time is a recipe for disaster. I can see them re-releasing it with the directors cut (Paramount released an entirely different cut of Anchorman 2 a few months after the theatrical cut), especially if they need it to push them over the billion mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Unless they show them at midnight or something.

Although, the last time they showed a Batman movie at midnight, people died so. :smith:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah fair enough, I just don't get the logic that goes "DC probably didn't intend the Suicide Squad to be lighthearted and the trailer was a fluke -> luckily they're doing desperation reshoots and now they will get it right".

Again, I am of the mindset that it was already fun, and the trailer was cut appropriately. So I guess it comes to the same thing, me and these other folks like the tone from the trailers.

well you seem to be starting from the premise that the rumor is based on nothing- while it could be DC-hater nonsense, it could also have originated from someone with actual knowledge of the situation

and other people buy it because a studio isn't a monolithic entity and given the dark tone of most recent DC offerings it's totally plausible that the film is in line with that and an internal or external advertising team put together a trailer that tested well because it misleadingly implied the film was more of an action comedy than it really is, because that's 100% a thing that has happened before

this is especially plausible because the film is being made in the context of Deadpool having just happened, which very easily could have had the studio mulling over alterations even if Batman vs. Superman had been an unparalleled success

the fact that it wasn't and BvS is in real danger of underperforming Deadpool domestically might have just inspired them to pull the trigger on something they were already seriously considering

or maybe it's horseshit and they just needed to add a few minor action sequences to bring the final edit together, which is equally plausible- the point is the rumor gained traction because contextually it does make a decent amount of sense

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Equeen posted:

I get what you're saying, but how you do feel about the other DCEU directors (David Ayer, Patty Jenkins, and James Wan)?

I haven't seen anything Ayer has made, but Suicide Squad looks gorgeously shot with horrendous writing. Monster was great. Not familiar with Wan's work.

Let me put it this way: the MCU was always just kinda okay-but-mostly-uninteresting, but only really started getting awful once they started getting comfortable. I'm way more worried about Phase 2 of the DCCU.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

For starters, my personal standard of being able to enjoy the films enough to at least feel like I'm getting my 10 bucks worth. If they can find a way to do that for me, while keeping the things that make these films great for you, even better! I'm a big tent kind of guy.

I mean sure, WB may just not be interested in taking my money, or even a lot of people's money. I seriously doubt that is the case, but hey if they come out with a commercial next year for Justice League Part 1: If You Didn't Care for BvS Don't Waste Your Time then fair enough.

Well, I think the disconnect here is that you're expecting DC's business strategy to be to try to target the Marvel audience, when the people they really want are the Dark Knight audience - and by most reports from people who aren't noted turdmongler Devin Faraci, it seems to be working out for them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Brainiac Five posted:

The use of cultural knowledge doesn't mean exactly replicating things. When the vidcon "Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines" had a character explain to the player that crosses and garlic won't work against them, people of merely modest intelligence, like myself, concluded that most of the rest of what we knew about vampires was right, and we were right. These vampires drank blood, not Snapple.

Wonder Woman also doesn't drink Snapple, but she's still built on the basic cultural knowledge in most respects. I suppose we'll need an update on the invisible jet.
I like this film as an introduction to Wonder Woman. I don't think she "didn't get enough" or what have you, because the whole point was to set her up in such a way that it makes sense for her solo film to exist in the same universe as this one. There was really no need to explain her any more than they already did, because that's the solo film's job, not the crossover film.

That being said, I wouldn't overestimate the general audience's "cultural knowledge" of Wonder Woman. She exists in this weird pop culture liminal space where everyone knows the name and imagery, but literally not much else about her. The very name "Wonder Woman" might come up more often in casual conversation ("Look at her, does she think she's Wonder Woman or something?" et al) as the archetypal mantle of a female superhero, but at this point I'd say more people are more familiar with Game of Thrones than they are with Wonder Woman.

In any case, since it's on topic:

quote:

I’m told production exec Jon Berg and and Time-Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes are taking more of a hands-on approach now, paying closer attention to overarching story concerns, but someone well versed in both production and DC’s minutiae is what’s needed. Greg Silverman, head of film production at WB, may have too much on his plate, same as DC Entertainment boss Diane Nelson, who also oversees their core publishing business. Meanwhile, the competition has production company Marvel Studios — with a creative driving force at the top — and DC, surprisingly, still doesn’t have an analog.

As for “Batman v Superman,” those involved weren’t prepared for the critical knives the film received, but they always knew it was going to be a transitional film, bridging the gap between “Man of Steel” (which was produced with no plan in place to expand the universe) and anything approaching the Avengers/Super Friends mold. But I’m told “Justice League” will be a crowd-pleaser more suited to Snyder’s talents, and that the upcoming two-part event is “extremely kinetic and visual.” It will be far more straightforward than existential in its handling of superheroes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Well, I think the disconnect here is that you're expecting DC's business strategy to be to try to target the Marvel audience, when the people they really want are the Dark Knight audience - and by most reports from people who aren't noted turdmongler Devin Faraci, it seems to be working out for them.

Oh so now we are considering critical and public response to the film as a means of refuting personal taste? Because basically all quantifiable measures point to U.S. audiences finding BvS highly underwhelming at best, and I don't think you've got any real evidence that the "Dark Knight audience" is meaningfully different from the "Marvel audience." Outside of maybe a few tens of thousands of weird brand loyalists, the "Marvel audience" and the "Dark Knight audience" are both basically synonymous with the "general public" who DC most definitely does want to appeal to. It's just that most indications are they're not able to do it nearly as successfully as Marvel is on average if Nolan isn't directing the film.

e: look at the shocking differences between the audiences of Man of Steel and Iron Man 3

LGD fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 9, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Pirate Jet posted:

Not really, I loved The Dark Knight. It's one of my favorite films. BvS was merely ok for me, and a downward slide from MoS quality wise.

As I said, I really don't care about studio wars, as long as the movies are good to great I'm happy.

On the above post, that sounds like good news to me on the studio involvement and JL tone. I'm hoping that Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman perform well and help push the franchise in the right direction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LGD posted:

well you seem to be starting from the premise that the rumor is based on nothing- while it could be DC-hater nonsense, it could also have originated from someone with actual knowledge of the situation

We know the origin of the rumor and it's the same guy that claims DC executives were making GBS threads their pants about the bad BvS reviews and making all the planned DC films standalone while they can Snyder.

(Instead, they added two more DC films)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LGD posted:

Oh so now we are considering critical and public response to the film as a means of refuting personal taste?

What?

No.

You misunderstood my quote. Let it go. Christ.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah fair enough, I just don't get the logic that goes "DC probably didn't intend the Suicide Squad to be lighthearted and the trailer was a fluke -> luckily they're doing desperation reshoots and now they will get it right".

Again, I am of the mindset that it was already fun, and the trailer was cut appropriately. So I guess it comes to the same thing, me and these other folks like the tone from the trailers.

The problem with the trailer is that there's not even a single funny joke in it, so the music feels really out of place and makes it look like they're just fishing for the Guardians fans.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Xenomrph posted:

You're saying I should care about Wonder Woman. I do. But why should I care about THIS Wonder Woman? How do I know she's worth caring about? Because of my cultural knowledge of how Wonder Woman should be?

Again, here's a really basic question. How did you interpret the role of Wonder Woman in this movie and how did that make you feel? Without confusing yourself over what a Wonder Woman should be.

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven't seen anything Ayer has made, but Suicide Squad looks gorgeously shot with horrendous writing. Monster was great. Not familiar with Wan's work.

Do yourself a favour and watch Fury.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Renoistic posted:

The problem with the trailer is that there's not even a single funny joke in it, so the music feels really out of place and makes it look like they're just fishing for the Guardians fans.

It doesn't need people calling eachother 'assmunchers' to be funny. It's Battle Royale with a crocodile man and a guy whose superpower is boomerangs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

brawleh posted:

Do yourself a favour and watch Fury.

Ayer has already made a comic book ensemble movie. It's called Fury. There are more comics than superhero comics, folks!

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Snyder, Ayer, Jenkins and Wan are a much, much better set of directors than Whedon, Favreau, Gunn, the Russo's and the band of one-offs that Marvel has.

man you really got a bug up your rear end about DC being better than Marvel

Also the Russos with their one movie made a way better flick than Snyder has in like 6 tries.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It doesn't need people calling eachother 'assmunchers' to be funny. It's Battle Royale with a crocodile man and a guy whose superpower is boomerangs.

Nice job cherry - picking jokes to suit your argument! I can do that too. In BvS the silliest character of the comics gets shot in the head. This was the director's idea of a funny in-joke and WB let it slip. Something being inherently silly means nothing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Suicide Squad doesn't really need jokes for the trailer to be effective since the tone of the thing comes off in a way that makes it effective as hell. "A bunch of bad guys are rolled up together to do wet work for the government, things go as you'd expect - very very badly" is what the trailer sells, and given the subject matter and the writer/director, it's not hard to believe that what's inside the tin is what they're promoting on the outside. There's a reason Ayer keeps name-dropping Dirty Dozen when he's not trying desperately to sell the world that Jared Leto has this mold-breaking Joker in store. The movie is a bunch of people who do bad things finding themselves having to do the right thing, which they'll do kicking and screaming, or else they - and the world they live in - are done for.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zack Snyder is an objectivist

Zack Snyder is such a sociopath he thinks someone getting their brains blown out is a silly joke

Zack Snyder is a subhuman and it is only right to dislike his movies

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Zack Snyder is an objectivist

Zack Snyder is such a sociopath he thinks someone getting their brains blown out is a silly joke

Zack Snyder is a subhuman and it is only right to dislike his movies

I asked myself if we will outdo the "dude bro fratboy" meme and here we are.

In 2 years Snyder is just straight up a Satan worshipping atheist serial killer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 9, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Pirate Jet posted:

Clearly it's not. A lot of people liked The Dark Knight. A fraction of those people liked BvS. And of that fraction, hardly any of them were critics. You seem to think there was a big divide between people who watched Iron Man and people who watched TDK. There wasn't.

I would be happy if they just made good movies without having to go into the millions of reasons why it's different from Marvel and how that somehow translates to better or smarter.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

SonicRulez posted:

I would be happy if they just made good movies without having to go into the millions of reasons why it's different from Marvel and how that somehow translates to better or smarter.

Trigger Warnings: "Good", "liked", "better"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BlackJosh posted:

man you really got a bug up your rear end about DC being better than Marvel

Also the Russos with their one movie made a way better flick than Snyder has in like 6 tries.

Yeah, they made a film with the stunning revelation that everything bad in the world is because of Nazis, not normal people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean I actually like the Winter Soldier a good deal but if you think it is "way better" than every single Snyder film then you really shouldn't be throwing "Marvel vs DC bias" bricks around your glass house

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How humorous were the Suicide Squad books?

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

computer parts posted:

Yeah, they made a film with the stunning revelation that everything bad in the world is because of Nazis, not normal people.

I'm sorry your teams guy isn't very good at making franchise movies hopefully for all our sakes he will someday improve to the point where he makes movies at least as good as the secret double hitlers movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurzon posted:

Kind of, not very. Ostrander had a very odd timing for silly gags but on the whole it's quite melodramatic and serious.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Suicide Squad doesn't have to be funny, it just needs a director and writer who understand what makes the characters work. The Dark Knight was serious and it worked. Batman Forever was humorous and it did not.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Kurzon posted:

I dont know about the comics but the animated film "Assault on Arkham", a Suicide Squad prequel to the Arkham games, is pretty humorous from what I remember.

It seems this movie is at least partially based off that so Id expect some levity in the vain of an action comedy mostly consisting of ensemble character banter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm sorry your teams

Interesting you reduce it to teams.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

No but see you did that by saying that the DC films have more interesting directors for their movies!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Renoistic posted:

Nice job cherry - picking jokes to suit your argument! I can do that too. In BvS the silliest character of the comics gets shot in the head. This was the director's idea of a funny in-joke and WB let it slip. Something being inherently silly means nothing.

The joke isn't that Jimmy Olsen gets shot, you daffy duck.

The joke is that Jimmy Olsen is CIA, sent to keep tabs on Lois - and that is really funny.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

computer parts posted:

I apologize, I mixed you up with the Snyder is better than all the Marvel directors poster, which is why I mentioned teams.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean I actually like the Winter Soldier a good deal but if you think it is "way better" than every single Snyder film then you really shouldn't be throwing "Marvel vs DC bias" bricks around your glass house

what if I think it's way better than every Snyder movie except Dawn of the Dead, the one really good Snyder movie

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
To be fair I feel that Winter Soldier (MCU), The Dark Knight (WB), and Deadpool (Fox) are legit better than anything of Snyder's ive seen, and I would marry Dawn of the Dead if it was legal in my state.

Full disclosure: I haven't seen Watchmen yet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Full disclosure: I haven't seen Watchmen yet.

there's like ten to fifteen solid minutes in it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I saw the movie again last night and thought it was actually a lot better. The pacing didn't seem as off in the first 45 minutes as my first viewing, which I suspect is because I was more accustomed to it. Not even "I knew what to expect" because there were things I had forgotten about the order of events, but just how it really is just a series of vignettes that build themes and characterization. The biggest offender is still probably the sequence where Lex is getting access to the ship and Zod's body from that other senator; they cut away for a significant amount of time before cutting back to the conversation, so you think the scene has outright changed.

I also still wasn't really a fan of the bat mobile chase outside of a few shots, the editing was weird (in a distinct way from every other scene) and I still didn't like the extreme closeup of Affleck's face that they used for it. It felt oddly claustrophobic for a car chase because of the shot choice and editing. On the second viewing Lois's story came off significantly better as well, although I still think this will come off better in the director's cut because I think a key thing that was missing was how Lois's absence while she was in DC coincided with Clark watching all that stuff on TV about Superman and not having her there to anchor him.

Just a few other things I hadn't picked up on the first time through:

- I thought Bruce had brought in his own ringer into that pit fight, but he actually gives the guy some kind of tip on KOing the other fighter and the dude gives him a little nod afterward. That was very cool.

- Doomsday straight up hits Superman over the head with a memorial with all the names of the people who died in Metropolis engraved on it! He may as well have bellowed "symbolism!"

- They did interesting stuff to connect characters. Clark says he thinks he missed the bomb because "he wasn't looking for it" and in the previous scene Bruce is seeing the (fake) letters from Wally for the first time because he has been distracted by his campaign against Superman. Some people also complained about the green light bulbs in the dream scene but this mimics a shot a few scenes later where Lex is looking into an open box with the green glow on his face, linking them (and also I think setting up the Kryptonite as false enlightenment(?)).

- Christ some of the shots and sequences are just gorgeous. The Doomsday spear scene lands for me just because of how fantastic it looks with the red and green lights and energy flaring around them. Even if I was more bothered by editing or "plot holes" or lack of levity, I still think I would be grateful for Snyder directing this film because there are visuals in here that are unrivaled by almost any other super hero film period.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what if I think it's way better than every Snyder movie except Dawn of the Dead, the one really good Snyder movie

I would still think "way better" is hyperbole but otherwise this is a passable opinion

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 9, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I don't understand why some people hold up Winter Soldier on such a pedestal. It really doesn't seem that different to me from anything else Marvel has done in the last few years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raxivace posted:

Honestly I don't understand why some people hold up Winter Soldier on such a pedestal. It really doesn't seem that different to me from anything else Marvel has done in the last few years.

The action choreography is quite good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

*nods*

Also has an above average screenplay. Replaces what passes for wit in the Whedon movies with actual wit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Raxivace posted:

It's certainly more polished than their earlier stuff, while not having anything that really bugs people like IM3 and Thor 2 does. It sort've changes the paradigm (although as has been argued a lot, not really), while still having the core MCU stuff in it. I would rate Ant-Man and Guardians higher but both of those are sort've MCU side stories in a way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Any good examples on YouTube of good action in Winter Soldier? None of the action scenes stick out in my mind as particularly memorable, though I'm willing to look at some again.

• Locked thread