Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

2000 and 2003 were good seasons.

he said, 15 years after the fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I will take Benz over Red Bull any day.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

he said, 15 years after the fact

I thought that at the time as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The fact that Horner clearly despises Toto Wolff and is acting like he took all of his sweeties away is one of the best parts of this era.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
There's nothing good about this era.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dunno, I quite like that Mercedes can't engineer a clutch, a very close midfield, the people running the show providing much delicious drama, that manor fan's blog, and Romain Grosjean being the hero we all need

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Riso posted:

Ah, the 80ies. When the world was still alright.

The 80's was the peak of human civilisation, its all gone downhill since then.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I also enjoy cocaine

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

to romanticize the 70s and 80s, an era that was routinely dominated to an extent mercedes can only dream of, is simply ridiculous. you cannot say you want F1 to be more like the 70s and 80s AND for it to feature good racing. the two concepts are incompatible.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

El Hefe posted:

There's nothing good about this era.

Kimi!!!!!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Reagan and Thatcher era best era.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Hell I forgot one

- A British owner/dictator

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
There isn't a single actual British team they are all owned by Arabs and Germans much like everything else in Britain.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

manor!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

to romanticize the 70s and 80s, an era that was routinely dominated to an extent mercedes can only dream of, is simply ridiculous. you cannot say you want F1 to be more like the 70s and 80s AND for it to feature good racing. the two concepts are incompatible.

I love 80s F1 but I agree about the domination part. Honda won the CC 6 times in a row.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

I have no problem with Mercedes becoming constructors champions again provided that Nico utterly stomps on Lewis in the WDC and we get to watch him slowly spiral out of control and ultimately quit the sport.

I think I will quit watching F1 if Rosberg wins the championship. The Vettel years were a farce but at least he's got some talent in qualifying besides all the cheating. Rosberg beating Lewis would be the triumph of politics and nationalism over skill and talent and it would put the final nail in F1's coffin

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rosberg deserves some credit here. He's been very good since the end of last year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I said last race that Rosberg seems to have put on a load of muscle weight. If he's spent the last 4 months in the gym instead of cocking around the world partying, and hasn't yet fluffed it, even with breaks nearly on fire, then I will begrudgingly say fair play when he wins and go back to watching the midfield action.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Rosberg's problem is that he crumbles under pressure, we'll see if when he has Lewis on his rear end he gets blown off by a gust of wind again or not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lmao at refusing to watch F1 bc a driver you don't like won

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

be nice wicka posted:

Not the post this thread wants, but the post it deserves.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm trying very hard to think of all the WDCs I didn't actively despise at the time. Going though the champions list; I didn't hate Are Jenson, Mika Häkkinen, Ayrton Senna and Nelson Piquet. Wanted the first three to win because I liked them, wanted Piquet to win the second time (for me) because I really loving hated Mansell.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
also lmao at refusing to watch F1 bc you don't like the triumph of soft power over proven skill

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

be nice wicka posted:

...the fact that every dang vettel race win was just him on pole and turning up the engine for the first three laps to build a 10 second lead and then coasting his way home.

I wonder if this is the place to start to find a real answer to make F1 better? Remove the hundreds of adjustments that drivers can make to the car while driving. And prevent the teams from just shifting the adjustments to the pit wall.

Remove the ability to turn the engine up and only let it be turned down to save an engine from a failure (unless you increase the number of engines a driver gets per year) or for "safety" and once it has been turned down, it cannot go back up. Furthermore, remove all the changes to brake balance that can be done. If the brakes are getting too hot, deal with it. If they fail, you're out.

I fully understand that attrition is bad for teams despite being an immediate thrill with season-long negative implications if it is widespread and continuous, but if it leads to innovative designs to fix problems then you're making the teams mechanically engineer their way out of or around a problem rather than fiddle with enough electronics to make the problem manageable. The drivers should have to drive around and with issues, not push a button and make them go away. That should be the real test of driver skill, not in how many buttons can they push to the desired effect while going 200mph and not crash.

Also gently caress all aero, mechanical grip only. Aerodynamicists get hosed and get out (sorry Nick).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i forgot that adjusting brake bias individually for each corner at 150mph while pulling several Gs and trying not to crash and die is something anyone can do

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Pvt. Public posted:

I wonder if this is the place to start to find a real answer to make F1 better? Remove the hundreds of adjustments that drivers can make to the car while driving. And prevent the teams from just shifting the adjustments to the pit wall.

Remove the ability to turn the engine up and only let it be turned down to save an engine from a failure (unless you increase the number of engines a driver gets per year) or for "safety" and once it has been turned down, it cannot go back up. Furthermore, remove all the changes to brake balance that can be done. If the brakes are getting too hot, deal with it. If they fail, you're out.

I fully understand that attrition is bad for teams despite being an immediate thrill with season-long negative implications if it is widespread and continuous, but if it leads to innovative designs to fix problems then you're making the teams mechanically engineer their way out of or around a problem rather than fiddle with enough electronics to make the problem manageable. The drivers should have to drive around and with issues, not push a button and make them go away. That should be the real test of driver skill, not in how many buttons can they push to the desired effect while going 200mph and not crash.

Also gently caress all aero, mechanical grip only. Aerodynamicists get hosed and get out (sorry Nick).

there's already plenty of spec serieses for people like you, this championship doesn't need to be more gimped than it already is

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I'm trying very hard to think of all the WDCs I didn't actively despise at the time. Going though the champions list; I didn't hate Are Jenson, Mika Häkkinen, Ayrton Senna and Nelson Piquet. Wanted the first three to win because I liked them, wanted Piquet to win the second time (for me) because I really loving hated Mansell.

How can you not like the Professor? You monster.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

be nice wicka posted:

i forgot that adjusting brake bias individually for each corner at 150mph while pulling several Gs and trying not to crash and die is something anyone can do

Don't be obtuse, wicka. I never said that it was easy. What I actually said was that I think the test of driving one of these cards should be, and get this, actually driving the car using feedback and pedal and steering adjustments in corners rather than fiddling some knobs to make the issue go away.

Triple A posted:

there's already plenty of spec serieses for people like you, this championship doesn't need to be more gimped than it already is

Where did I say anything about it being a spec series? Can you even read? All I'm asking is if the racing would be better if the racers had to adjust to the car's conditions rather than adjusting the car to fit their immediate needs all of the time.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 9, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Don't be obtuse, wicka. I never said that it was easy. What I actually said was that I think the test of driving one of these cards should be, and get this, actually driving the car using feedback and pedal and steering adjustments in corners rather than fiddling some knobs to make the issue go away.

i'm not being obtuse. having those adjustments makes the sport harder, not easier. you're suggesting we make the sport easier.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Good things about the 80s:
-Niki Lauda WDC
-Alain Prost WDCs
-Nelson Piquet WDCs
-Turbocharging
-Several seasons that were hard fought going to either the last or second last round
-Prince was making good music
-Nigel Mansell didn't win any WDCs
-Renault's F1 cars looks cool

The 80s was a helluva time.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

1500quidporsche posted:

Good things about the 80s:
-Niki Lauda WDC
-Alain Prost WDCs
-Nelson Piquet WDCs
-Turbocharging
-Several seasons that were hard fought going to either the last or second last round
-Prince was making good music
-Nigel Mansell didn't win any WDCs
-Renault's F1 cars looks cool

The 80s was a helluva time.

don't forget that it wasn't just great in F1, it was great everywhere in motorsports

especially in rally racing

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

be nice wicka posted:

i'm not being obtuse. having those adjustments makes the sport harder, not easier. you're suggesting we make the sport easier.

You're assuming that it would make it easier, but what I'm suggesting is that maybe removing these adjustments would prevent the car from being "fixed" on the fly and would instead force the driver to adapt to the car as it changes during a race thereby requiring more skill in different areas. Now, I could see someone considering these electronic adjustments to be the driver adapting as such, and they wouldn't be wrong, but I think it would be better if the adjustments were made by changes in driving style and technique rather than electronics.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

You're assuming that it would make it easier, but what I'm suggesting is that maybe removing these adjustments would prevent the car from being "fixed" on the fly and would instead force the driver to adapt to the car as it changes during a race thereby requiring more skill in different areas. Now, I could see someone considering these electronic adjustments to be the driver adapting as such, and they wouldn't be wrong, but I think it would be better if the adjustments were made by changes in driving style and technique rather than electronics.

what's a more impressive response to breaking an ankle: limping around or fixing the break?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Pvt. Public posted:

cue the focus being now on who can develop the best ECU package and write the soft in a manner where it can conduct all the jobs that normally was race engineer / driver related

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

cue the focus being now on who can develop the best ECU package and write the soft in a manner where it can conduct all the jobs that normally was race engineer / driver related

the ECU is standard

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes. Adjustments made to the car only have positive aspects and only make the car easier to drive.

:suicide:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's just such a ridiculous idea to suggest that any driver is easily capable of, idk, moving a couple knobs and completely negating tire wear. that's not how any of this works.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

Rosberg deserves some credit here. He's been very good since the end of last year.
You mean since Lewis stopped trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bad things about the 80s

- things kept catching fire, breaking, exploding, leaking toxins, or sinking.

• Locked thread