Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Pretty much just eat more. I remember getting stuck at 185 or 190 back when I was a skinny babby. Decided I would get strong fat before cutting and tried to eat like it. Thing is I never really got fat but I did get stronger. You'll never reap those sweet beginner gains if you don't eat enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Plz stop impregnating crossfitters

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Think I might struggle to get enough protein naturaly through my diet. I do one protein shake after each training session usualy, but considering to up this to one in the morning, one after training... I prefer natural foods, but not always that easy to fit in. Also: gently caress my shoulder. Something weird with it again, no sharp pain though so will try to fight through it at the gym tomorrow and see what happends.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah just eat/lift more.

Profondo Rosso posted:

That seems like kind of a bad idea (although I'm no expert). Dumbbell benching puts far more strain on your stabilizing muscles, and if you're doing it right after a different form of bench press (i.e. after you wore out the tris/chest already) it would be a recipe for for injury if those muscles aren't already pretty strong (which they likely are not if you are struggling to go above 135 with the barbell).

If dumbbell benching after barbell injures you you were never meant to lift. But if you're asking for advice in this thread this is what you deserve.

Uxzuigal posted:

Think I might struggle to get enough protein naturaly through my diet. I do one protein shake after each training session usualy, but considering to up this to one in the morning, one after training... I prefer natural foods, but not always that easy to fit in. Also: gently caress my shoulder. Something weird with it again, no sharp pain though so will try to fight through it at the gym tomorrow and see what happends.

One shake with breakfast, one after I workout, and eating normal amounts of meat puts me around 175g a day which is perfect for me at 200lbs. How much do you think you need?

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

If dumbbell benching after barbell injures you you were never meant to lift. But if you're asking for advice in this thread this is what you deserve.

yeah but you have to keep in mind someone who cant bench more than 135 (i.e. is weak as gently caress) is going to have to be real careful to avoid injury

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah just eat/lift more.

One shake with breakfast, one after I workout, and eating normal amounts of meat puts me around 175g a day which is perfect for me at 200lbs. How much do you think you need?

I am thinking around ~125g @ 86kg (190lbs) - Guess my estimate was abit low.
Breakfast for me is about 10-20g.
Dinner around 30-40g
"21:00" food around 20-30g.

So Id say I am getting about 90g max without protein shakes. (Current shakes has 25g protein, whey+6.5g bcaa).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
eat more meat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
or like, a whole block of cheese

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A kipping pull-up is not really a pull-up.

Elite - really good crossfitters: a way to do lots of straight arms to chest touching bar really fast.

Crossfit cougar and weekend warrior: a way to do usually around 45 straight arm to chin over bar

People that should not be doing pull-ups: a way to just get up there.

It's not really a bad movement if you have the strength and flexibility to get up there, and a good Crossfit program is going to implement strict pull-ups into its strength routine.

Still, wtf is that pregnant chick doing

IllIllIll
Feb 17, 2012
I definely ask for spots at the gym but it's such a crap shoot. Once in a while I get someone that actually won't touch the bar until needed but mostly, even when I ask not to, people will yank the bar up at the first sign of hesitation, stealing my precious noob gains. I even tell them, "dont help until I'm about to crush my windpipe" but alas

Im also thinking of getting back into running but afaik trying to run far and lift heavy at the same time is just asking to be mediocre at both. In fact my old running coach once kicked someone off the team for lifting arms/chest during the season

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

I am thinking around ~125g @ 86kg (190lbs) - Guess my estimate was abit low.
Breakfast for me is about 10-20g.
Dinner around 30-40g
"21:00" food around 20-30g.

So Id say I am getting about 90g max without protein shakes. (Current shakes has 25g protein, whey+6.5g bcaa).

Eat another chicken breast or another two scoop shake. Eat a little more protein in each meal. Now you're probably over what you need.

Profondo Rosso posted:

yeah but you have to keep in mind someone who cant bench more than 135 (i.e. is weak as gently caress) is going to have to be real careful to avoid injury

How is that any different from someone else? Just don't lift more than you're able no matter how strong you are. Whoa! Crazy poo poo.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So, was super setting bench (body weight) with jump/clapping push-ups last night (first off, fuuuuck that is always hard), and talked to the guys next to me who I saw benching on the balls of their feet.

And I don't mean just without their heels planted, I mean feet under their rear end under the bench, completely curled up and on their toes. I asked why, because maybe they had a good reason? One of the guys then explained how while it wasn't Olympic lifting, it really upped their bench and made it easier to push through arm failure if you're benching alone.

I think it's because when your legs are curled up like that you can get the rest of your body to help out a little and push up with the legs instead of just anchoring with the legs and pushing with arms/chest and having proper form (pinching shoulder blades, etc).

Broscience goons, what say you?

E: also, I always shake my head at goons saying 'lol eat more lift heavier'. Just ... it's not that simple. Yeah, get more protein in your diet - if I'm not eating a lot of meat during the day I'll typically supplement my 2 big-scoop shakes with another protein bar or another shake during the day.

And yes, step up the weight - but only after getting comfortable with the weight you're at (don't let it get super easy, it'll still be hard just ... manageably so) and working a variety of things to round yourself out. Just 'lol lifting bigger' is dumb and a good way to hurt yourself.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 10, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

How is that any different from someone else? Just don't lift more than you're able no matter how strong you are. Whoa! Crazy poo poo.

i'm not denying you know far more about lifting than I do, but it seems kind of obvious someone that can barely bench 1 plate pushing themselves to failure right after is going to have worse form/mind muscle connection/knowledge of how far they can push/chance of injuring themselves than a veteran lifter doing the exact same thing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IllIllIll posted:

I definely ask for spots at the gym but it's such a crap shoot. Once in a while I get someone that actually won't touch the bar until needed but mostly, even when I ask not to, people will yank the bar up at the first sign of hesitation, stealing my precious noob gains. I even tell them, "dont help until I'm about to crush my windpipe" but alas

Im also thinking of getting back into running but afaik trying to run far and lift heavy at the same time is just asking to be mediocre at both. In fact my old running coach once kicked someone off the team for lifting arms/chest during the season

If you're just running 25-30 miles a week for fitness purposes then it's good and not gonna kill you, but trying to sustain high weekly mileage (let's say over 50) while increasing muscle are kind of mutually antagonistic goals. Your diet has to be on point and you need a ton of sleep to recover day to day. Getting enough sleep is generally the hardest part for me, and even then, my capacity for squatting heavy is pretty compromised. At some point your progress in whatever you favor the least will stall. When I'm training for 90+ miles a week, for instance, I have zero energy to lift whatsoever without probably injuring myself. Some parts are fun though, like being really lean from the outset and never ever having to worry about cutting.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Profondo Rosso posted:

i'm not denying you know far more about lifting than I do, but it seems kind of obvious someone that can barely bench 1 plate pushing themselves to failure right after is going to have worse form/mind muscle connection/knowledge of how far they can push/chance of injuring themselves than a veteran lifter doing the exact same thing

He said he wasn't going to failure. I thought you were talking about just dumbbell pressing after barbell pressing, like I said.

Generally beginners going to failure isn't a good idea, I'd agree there.

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 10, 2016

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Zahgaegun posted:

Plz stop impregnating crossfitters

tbf kipping all your pullups/snatches/everything is probably the best gently caress muscle training

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Why run when you can row

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

tbf kipping all your pullups/snatches/everything is probably the best gently caress muscle training

Look I'm no lady parts doctor but I'm pretty sure that the baby is gonna come shooting out during one of these *cough*pullups*cough* and swing around like a little Tarzan on the umbilical cord pretty sure I read that happens

Nobody wants that on the gym flooring all I'm sayin'

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dum Cumpster posted:

Eat another chicken breast or another two scoop shake. Eat a little more protein in each meal. Now you're probably over what you need.

Increase your salami intake, imho.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Salami. The sweatiest of meats.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I always keep a salami close by

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I get all my protein through rice and ramen noodle mush.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
thats impressive

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So, was super setting bench (body weight) with jump/clapping push-ups last night (first off, fuuuuck that is always hard), and talked to the guys next to me who I saw benching on the balls of their feet.

And I don't mean just without their heels planted, I mean feet under their rear end under the bench, completely curled up and on their toes. I asked why, because maybe they had a good reason? One of the guys then explained how while it wasn't Olympic lifting, it really upped their bench and made it easier to push through arm failure if you're benching alone.

I think it's because when your legs are curled up like that you can get the rest of your body to help out a little and push up with the legs instead of just anchoring with the legs and pushing with arms/chest and having proper form (pinching shoulder blades, etc).

Your workout makes far less sense than theirs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IllIllIll posted:

My knees keep tracking in on squats. Tried to hit 200 3x5 but thought my knees might collapse so I stopped. Bought mini resistance bands for my knees and went down to 185, knee muscles (abductors adductors I don't know which is which) are confirmed blasted. 2 plates here I come choo choo

Squat stance too wide.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IllIllIll posted:

Also what is wrong with my babby chest, I'm 5'9" 165, squat 195 3x5 deadlift 270 1x5 but I just managed to hit 135 bench with no spotter. Is it because I used to be a 125 pound long distance runner

Yes. Keep benching and do more chest/tri/delt stuff.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

E: also, I always shake my head at goons saying 'lol eat more lift heavier'. Just ... it's not that simple. Yeah, get more protein in your diet - if I'm not eating a lot of meat during the day I'll typically supplement my 2 big-scoop shakes with another protein bar or another shake during the day.

And yes, step up the weight - but only after getting comfortable with the weight you're at (don't let it get super easy, it'll still be hard just ... manageably so) and working a variety of things to round yourself out. Just 'lol lifting bigger' is dumb and a good way to hurt yourself.

add a third superset of wendys spicy nuggets in between your clapping jump push ups and bench and ull be set

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Don't get comfortable. Write down your sets or use an app and increase the weight as soon as you successfully finish your set goals, even if you have to grunt and fart your way through.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

Your workout makes far less sense than theirs.
Phone posting so sorry for the probably poo poo link, but it's a thing. Maybe not exactly the thing you're used to, but it's a thing. (Also, thanks for making me redo some research - just noticed that I'm doing it slightly wrong, will readjust to do it 100% correctly!)

Fallows posted:

add a third superset of wendys spicy nuggets in between your clapping jump push ups and bench and ull be set
Do I get a frosty with that?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

A kipping pull-up is not really a pull-up.

Elite - really good crossfitters: a way to do lots of straight arms to chest touching bar really fast.

Still, wtf is that pregnant chick doing

Ive always liked how the best Crossfitters don't actually do Crossfit until the games :cool:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phone posting so sorry for the probably poo poo link, but it's a thing. Maybe not exactly the thing you're used to, but it's a thing. (Also, thanks for making me redo some research - just noticed that I'm doing it slightly wrong, will readjust to do it 100% correctly!)

Like learning formula one tracks before your feet can reach the pedals.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

used the adductor machine for the first time in my life because of this thread and my groin has been on fire for the past 2 days. thanks goons

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Profondo Rosso posted:

used the adductor machine for the first time in my life because of this thread and my groin has been on fire for the past 2 days. thanks goons

u should have wiped the seat down before you sat on it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've eaten maybe 3,000 calories over the past eight hours and I'm still so hungry!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

exquisite tea posted:

I've eaten maybe 3,000 calories over the past eight hours and I'm still so hungry!

You're probs counting wrong fam. Either that or you're swole or fat af.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

3000 calories over 8 hours is some basic bro level food intake

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Yeah 1000 calories is like two pork rib sammies from speedway, I could easily eat six of those or maybe some cinnabuns too. Whole milk to wash it down.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I walked 15km today, myfitnesspal says that's 700 calories. Does that sound accurate and can I eat 700 additional calories? :getin:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No, sorry bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

No, sorry bud

:smith:

I will regretfully stay within my calorie allowance then.

• Locked thread