Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

worthless. posted:

You're probs counting wrong fam. Either that or you're swole or fat af.

I'm only fat on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

exquisite tea posted:

I'm only fat on the inside.

:v::respek::v:

I used to be really fat though, and that makes bulking a nerve-wracking experience.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Laffo if you guys aren't drinking hidden Valley brand ranch dressing straight out the bottle for your gains.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Pesmerga posted:

:v::respek::v:

I used to be really fat though, and that makes bulking a nerve-wracking experience.

Just keep eating until you wrap around to the other side.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

one arm pushups are a good way to make people think you are stronger than you actually are

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pesmerga posted:

I walked 15km today, myfitnesspal says that's 700 calories. Does that sound accurate and can I eat 700 additional calories? :getin:

Don't count on any of that stuff. Just work out and count the calories you eat.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

Like learning formula one tracks before your feet can reach the pedals.

Or criticizing people on the Internet before you know about what their goal is and what they're doing! :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I got to the end of dinner and was still hungry, so I just ate something I would normally eat for second breakfast and will only eat one breakfast tomorrow. I think that was the right call as I now feel much better.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I got to the end of dinner and was still hungry, so I just ate something I would normally eat for second breakfast and will only eat one breakfast tomorrow. I think that was the right call as I now feel much better.

second breakfast? are you a hobbit

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Profondo Rosso posted:

Dis dude don't even dunch I bet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Profondo Rosso posted:

What else are you supposed to eat between breakfast and thirdmeal.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

exquisite tea posted:

Dont forget pre-dinner...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is mdma a good pre workout?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

JFairfax posted:

MDNA is being used at my gym, don't see the harm in swapping a letter. Pretty sure MDNA is giving me more damages than anything else I ever used.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are we talking about chugging male DNA at the gym?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

exquisite tea posted:

Kegels.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JFairfax posted:

Oh god these weights feel sooooo gooood, like I'm just totally connected with my body. I just feel my muscles getting stronger, tighter, so alive, so invigorated. Oh this lemon water tastes sooooooo gooood. I'm gonna go stand by the fan, the cool sweat is beading up on me and it just feels amaaaaaaaazzzzzzing!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

JFairfax posted:

take pcp b4 u lift if u want to feel true power...

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Or criticizing people on the Internet before you know about what their goal is and what they're doing! :D

How much do you bench press?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Hey he's not trying to get big and bulky!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Hey he's not trying to get big and bulky!

First, that ^
Second, 195 or 200 max, can't remember. I weigh 155ish, 67" tall (down at 154 the past few days). 1.25x body weight is okay by me.
Would I like to get to 1.5x body weight? Sure, but I'd rather spend the extra time practicing karate instead of getting even rustier than I already am while piling on a little more bulk.
E: I'm kinda proud of my deadlift, at 325. But that's partially because my legs are proportionally kinda long for my height.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 12, 2016

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Here's the secret to not getting big and bulky: don't eat so much.

Why would you not want to get stronger at the same bodyweight if you are a karate master?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

First, that ^
Second, 195 or 200 max, can't remember. I weigh 155ish, 67" tall (down at 154 the past few days). 1.25x body weight is okay by me.
Would I like to get to 1.5x body weight? Sure, but I'd rather spend the extra time practicing karate instead of getting even rustier than I already am while piling on a little more bulk.

That's a decent BW:Bench press ratio so props.

If your method of doing plyometrics in between bench press sets seems to be working for you, that's all that matters. Chances are good that you'd make similar progress with a protocol that's a little bit more.......conventional. But whatever, lifting is supposed to be fun.

As far as what you described, was it like how this girl lifts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAc97K2I5M

If so that's just a powerlifting technique used to pervert the definition of a bench press to maximize poundage. By exaggerating their arch, they can minimize the ROM--kinda like using a really wide grip. Probably more leg drive n stability too, but shortening the ROM is the main advantage.

Stuff like this is just one of the many reasons competitive powerlifting is retarded, but who cares

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

That's a decent BW:Bench press ratio so props.

If your method of doing plyometrics in between bench press sets seems to be working for you, that's all that matters. Chances are good that you'd make similar progress with a protocol that's a little bit more.......conventional. But whatever, lifting is supposed to be fun.

As far as what you described, was it like how this girl lifts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAc97K2I5M

If so that's just a powerlifting technique used to pervert the definition of a bench press to maximize poundage. By exaggerating their arch, they can minimize the ROM--kinda like using a really wide grip. Probably more leg drive n stability too, but shortening the ROM is the main advantage.

Stuff like this is just one of the many reasons competitive powerlifting is retarded, but who cares

What in the poo poo ... that's a weird way to lift. You can't see her feet in that but based on where she anchors herself and then moves down I'd say that it's similar, though they don't arch their backs that much. They seemed to maybe arch just a little more than normal - it was the foot placement that really drew my eyes.

And yeah, I'm sure I could find other ways to get better / stronger (it's not like I do this specific super set / pairing / whatever all the time, I switch things up and try to get a variety in. I hate things getting stale) but this works and I feel it for a few days after.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Here's the secret to not getting big and bulky: don't eat so much.

Why would you not want to get stronger at the same bodyweight if you are a karate master?

Lol I am not a karate master. Been doing it a long time, but will probably never be a master. Just a dude who practices karate.

Also, it's not that I actively don't want to be strong. It's a matter of time and motivation. With the time I have I have to weigh what I want to do and do it. If i could spend the time and do both? Yeah I would, as I said I would like to be able to bench 230. But, meh, I work a lot and have other hobbies too.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
If you're going to talk about this subject plz post the proper video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbrVw1Yp5c

Fair enough. But in time you'll ditch them all and move into a van in the parking lot of a powerlifting gym.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I can squat 5x5@300 on Monday and can only do 1x3@320 on Friday, what disease do I have? Do I need a squatplug?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

lettuce b real

even if it was a 240lbs 4 board press that'd still be legit impressive

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Excuse me, I defer to this woman with the 400lb bench press :moments:

Lemming posted:

I can squat 5x5@300 on Monday and can only do 1x3@320 on Friday, what disease do I have? Do I need a squatplug?

Probably a high proportion of slow-twitch muscle fibers. Some people are "reppers" some are "max lifters"....sounds like you're the former

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Lemming posted:

maybe poor mechanics leading you to falling apart at heavier weights? leave no stone un-turned my goon sir

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Probably a high proportion of slow-twitch muscle fibers. Some people are "reppers" some are "max lifters"....sounds like you're the former

a better explanation would be what he's doing thursday night he's not doing sunday night.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

a better explanation would be what he's doing thursday night he's not doing sunday night.

Doesnt seem like someone who parties on a Thursday but maybe you're right

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wtf is that seriously a thing? That blows, all my lifts are like this, I get a new 5rm and next week I go up 5 lbs and can only do 3 reps.

I hate repping, I just want to lift 1000lbs

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbrVw1Yp5c

Fair enough. But in time you'll ditch them all and move into a van in the parking lot of a powerlifting gym.

... Why are these competitions a thing? I hope they're ALL better than this.

Also, if I do it'll have to be a creeper anime van. Get some nice waifu wallscrolls to block out the windows. Classy as gently caress.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doesnt seem like someone who parties on a Thursday but maybe you're right

doesnt have to do anything with partying

if those are near maximal loads (he's probably close to 345/350) then just sleeping poorly, like staying up late to watch something or waking up early for class, or playing trivia the night before, is going to throw him off.

better your squat gets the more you have to sacrifice :smith:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Wtf is that seriously a thing? That blows, all my lifts are like this, I get a new 5rm and next week I go up 5 lbs and can only do 3 reps.

I hate repping, I just want to lift 1000lbs

I wouldnt freak out just yet, there's a bunch of plausible alternate explanations (See above post^^^^^^). Your dream of becoming a bloated powerlifter may yet come to pass

But yes, while you might be able to do 10 reps w 80% of your 1rm your buddy may only be able to do 6 reps w his 80% 1rm....everybody is different

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

... Why are these competitions a thing? I hope they're ALL better than this.

Hey all you gotta do is touch the bar to your chest & lock out all while keeping your butt n shoulders on the bench and feet planted....that leaves room for a lot of "interpretation"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

doesnt have to do anything with partying

if those are near maximal loads (he's probably close to 345/350) then just sleeping poorly, like staying up late to watch something or waking up early for class, or playing trivia the night before, is going to throw him off.

better your squat gets the more you have to sacrifice :smith:

I do sleep pretty bad during the week, but it's been a pretty consistent thing for me across all my lifts for about the last year and a quarter

I wouldnt freak out just yet, there's a bunch of plausible alternate explanations (See above post^^^^^^). Your dream of becoming a bloated powerlifter may yet come to pass

But yes, while you might be able to do 10 reps w 80% of your 1rm your buddy may only be able to do 6 reps w his 80% 1rm....everybody is different

Yeah, I figure there's definitely improvements I can make wrt form/eating/sleeping but still sucks at the time.

I don't have a goal in mind if I get in the 1000lb club guess this just puts it off

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Is it better to do 3x5 bench press at 80-90% max or 3x8-12 at 65-79% max weight

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I am a fat alcoholic looking to un-fat.I have quit drinking (Thursday will be 2 months) and I've acquired a power rack, a bench, and an olympic weight set. Now I suppose I have to start picking the heavy things up then putting them down.

I have terrible flexibility and my muscles are incredibly tight, especially around my hips/glutes. I've injured my self (hip flexors?) early into any squat-heavy programs I've tried in the past. Also, I can't overhead press (low roof) unless there's a sitting variant.

I'm 6'2" 250lbs (down from 270+) and I want to be all swole like you studs rather than just skinnyfat as this weight comes off.

Tell me what to do because I am a big dummy who can't think for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Press but do it sitting down.

• Locked thread