Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That's half of the package they sell around Valentines day, IIRC it's two half pound Reese cups.

The thing that sucks about them is that they're waaaaaaay too much peanut butter in them for how much chocolate they have. Around the middle, it's just a big mouthful of PB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Megabound posted:

What? Why would you not use real cheese instead of velveeta, and why wouldn't you use real butter in baking instead of margarine?

You literally can't buy Velveeta or any Velveeta like product in Australia and I've never thought to myself "You know what, I wish this cheese was easier to melt and also, not actually cheese."

Wow, you're so right. Someone should really tell those poor people they're using lovely and ingredients and to pick up some actual cheese instead.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

nerdz posted:

This was made by a masterchef competitor in brazil. No, she did not win the round.

I call it deconstructed microwave dinner

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, you're so right. Someone should really tell those poor people they're using lovely and ingredients and to pick up some actual cheese instead.

Do you mean poor as in not wealthy or as in pitiable? Because if it's the former you can buy plenty of "real" cheese for less than velveeta charges for their weird logs.
Especially gouda. Gouda is piss cheap.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

In the UK there even the most basic cheddar is actual cheddar.
as in an actual pure dairy product.

Really the only reason velveeta is that widespread is because of the effect of past USA depressions without a strongly established real cheese industry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Because most people don't keep sodium citrate to allow normal cheese to emulsify and remain that way? It is real cheese and it has a few legitimate uses.

All you need for cheese to emulsify perfectly is corn starch and some whole milk.

Processed cheese products are just a way to sell you less value for more money under the guise of convenience.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

pentyne posted:

I don't get the velveeta hate. It works perfectly for what it was meant for, a cheese and melts extremely easily and doesn't clump up or have pools of fat in the sauce. Same with margarine, great for baking, terrible for any other alternative use of butter.

Velveeta and Ro-Tel tomatoes is a great party dip and I refuse to apologize for it. I even have a scar on my arm from making it (because I am incompetent).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

All you need for cheese to emulsify perfectly is corn starch and some whole milk.

Processed cheese products are just a way to sell you less value for more money under the guise of convenience.

Bechamel sauce is intimidating at first. I handily hosed it up 2-3 times before I got it coming out consistently (and I get that that's frustrating, especially if you're using nice cheeses) but it's sure as hell worth learning. Never going back.
loving up is part of learning anything, especially cooking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Do you mean poor as in not wealthy or as in pitiable? Because if it's the former you can buy plenty of "real" cheese for less than velveeta charges for their weird logs.
Especially gouda. Gouda is piss cheap.

What kind of area are you talking about? There's a lot of places in the US where Walmart is the only game in town, and some people are so isolated that just going there is a 45 minute drive. That's why the whole theory of a "food desert" exists: an area where food is very common and cheap in terms of raw calories, but it's not necessarily healthy or high quality.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: lol wrong thread

gentle pete has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Apr 12, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Megabound posted:

What? Why would you not use real cheese instead of velveeta, and why wouldn't you use real butter in baking instead of margarine?

You literally can't buy Velveeta or any Velveeta like product in Australia and I've never thought to myself "You know what, I wish this cheese was easier to melt and also, not actually cheese."

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, major rapey vibes of this dude.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Well, I guess we do have it in Australia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm not against that in theory, but with that much mustard you wouldn't even taste the peanut butter.

Eponine posted:

Or canned asparagus.
I love canned asparagus. Not to eat like normal asparagus, but to use as an ingredient because it's all mushy and just breaks down and spreads its flavour throughout.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I was treated to a tasting menu at a fancy hipster/gastropub type restaurant for my birthday this year. The third or fourth course was a foie gras dish with mushrooms and blueberries. Looked like barf in a bowl... Tasted pretty good but my wife had to choke back a gag reflex when she realized the aroma closely matched the yeasty, sweet smell of our dog's recent ear infection. It was uncanny.

I ate it anyway (it was expensive).

Well, that's my gross food story. Thanks for reading!

E: I don't have a photo because live tweeting my dinner feels retarded. Just gis really cheap beef stroganoff and imagine blueberries floating in it.

egyptian rat race has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Apr 12, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the UK there even the most basic cheddar is actual cheddar.
as in an actual pure dairy product.

This is true in the US as well. Velveeta is not a cheese it's a cheese convenience product, like dip. Saying "oh you sill Americans why don't you just use real cheese and melt it the right way" about Velveeta is like me saying "Why do you Brits use squash when juice is so easy to make?". It's a thing that makes certain things (mac and cheese, cheese sandwiches etc) easier to make if you're lazy. American Cheese, which people often confuse with Velveeta but is not Velveeta, is like any other cheese, there is bad American cheese (Kraft singles) and there is good American cheese (Boars Head White American). Judging all American cheese by kraft singles is like judging [insert British dietary staple here] by the Tesco value version of it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I'm not against that in theory, but with that much mustard you wouldn't even taste the peanut butter.

Solution: more peanut butter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's a thing that makes cheese sandwiches easier to make if you're lazy.

I literally cannot imagine how this is possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I literally cannot imagine how this is possible.

Thing, cheese, lazy, or sandwich?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Thing, cheese, lazy, or sandwich?

How do you make it even easier to make a cheese sandwich when bread and cheese already come pre-sliced?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Kraft singles keep for longer than regular cheddar cheese, so lazy as in you skip the step where you look for mold or remember when you bought that cheese.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I was doing some research on food history because of all the "White people food is gross and bland" jokes and it seems like what most people joke about as "white people food" is actually just food descended from poverty and is usually eaten by the poor still today. World War II helped kill a lot of the use of spices and interesting foods in America and the UK due to rationing and American cuisine suffered in the 19th century with the large portion of the population engaging in travel and settlement, so only the really egalitarian parts of the populations continued eating anything awesome. We're finally now in an age where people are rich enough and transport is cheap enough that you can create virtually any world cuisine with as much or as little spice as you want for a low price, but the momentum of the past has kept the shittier stuff going.

well yeah like 70% of racism against white people is making fun of centuries-deep poverty

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

nerdz posted:

This was made by a masterchef competitor in brazil. No, she did not win the round.

I could see this happening if one of the actual competitors dropped out and they pulled some random fan from amongst the spectators to take his or her place.

"I'm not gonna win anyway, so I'ma make the silliest poo poo I can think of"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

[insert British dietary staple here]

That'd be hummus, I think

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"cheese food', which is how Kraft singles are labelled, isn't cheese. It's mostly vegetable oil.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

"cheese food', which is how Kraft singles are labelled, isn't cheese.

It actually is though, by any reasonable definition.

quote:

Kraft singles do not qualify for the US FDA Pasteurized Processed Cheese labeling. For this reason Kraft labels them Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product to avoid FDA sanctions. They were calling Kraft Singles Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Food until the FDA gave them a warning in December of 2002 that the product could not be legally labeled as 'food' due to the inclusion of Milk Protein Concentrates. Kraft complied with the FDA order by changing the label to the current Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product. Kraft singles do however contain ingredients in common with cheddar cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzyme(s), annatto vegetable color)

So unless you're making the stupid and pedantic argument that this solid, edible substance is actually not food because the FDA says so, it's also dumb to argue that it's not cheese.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Pasteurized process cheese- contains 100% cheese
Pasteurized process cheese food- contains at least 51% cheese.
Pasteurized process cheese product- contains less than 51% cheese.

It's less than 51% cheese, how can you call it cheese

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a dairy product that has virtually nothing in common with cheese as anybody would understand it, but that doesn't make it evil or plastic. It's just its own thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cheese Che Guevaras get the gently caress out

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

AnonSpore posted:

Queso Qadaffi

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

also

only 2?? thank god

We tried some of the maple cream soda and it was okay for 25 cents a bottle :v:

edit: at least two of those are soap, sorry!! at least they're kinda food

snoo has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Apr 12, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

A means to afp.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

SC Bracer posted:

A means to afp.

Like anyone is going to be making that for more than one person.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SC Bracer posted:

A means to afp.

I need a trip report stat.

I want to know how to make the time-consuming, difficult process of dropping ramen into water and waiting two minutes easier

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The rapid ramen cooker was on Shark Tank, but I can't find the pitch and response on YouTube. He eventually made a deal and had multiple offers.

Shark Tank has a lot of goofy kitchen gadgets. And food items that capitalize on various modern fabs, now that I think about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I need a trip report stat.

I want to know how to make the time-consuming, difficult process of dropping ramen into water and waiting two minutes easier

By using a bowl, obviously, instead of throwing your ramen onto the kitchen counter.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

AnonSpore posted:

Simply Che-ese Guevara is acceptable as well

:psyduck:

Also, stuff that isn't maple bacon that is trying hard to capitalize on it is usually quite icky. See: chocolate with maple bacon. Blegh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pork chops, ranch style beans, Japones chili peppers and tomato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aren't CareOne brands sold at Giant? I recognize that symbol from somewhere.