Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

:allears:

Keep it up. You're going to have wonderful calves!

This man speaks the truth, as a former fatty my calves are ~*~fabulous~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I saw a large, wide guy, not muscular by any means, *trying* to single arm db row a 105 with like 6" of movement for 3 reps. He proceeded to load up the lat pulldown and with his arms locked essentially rock his body back and forth with body weight. He also kicked out a kid using his flatbench mid-set when he went to the washroom and came back. What an alphashow.

Who else has the guy that uses a hair dryer on their genitals?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Booties posted:

I got long arms. Is this why my BP sucks?

I used to think this. But in reality I was a skinny weakling. Arm length really only reduces maximum bench by like 5% if even. That's a big deal if you're an elite lifter but for bitch babies like us it's nothing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MNIMWA posted:

Saw some massive guys in the gym today using chains on their bench press and now I want to do dumb funky workouts and make a huge scene + noise

What can you guys recommend

get a job down at the docks

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What kind of job? HJ or BJ?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

notZaar posted:

What kind of job? HJ or BJ?
RJ

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jm20 posted:

I saw a large, wide guy, not muscular by any means, *trying* to single arm db row a 105 with like 6" of movement for 3 reps. He proceeded to load up the lat pulldown and with his arms locked essentially rock his body back and forth with body weight. He also kicked out a kid using his flatbench mid-set when he went to the washroom and came back. What an alphashow.

Invisible lats syndrome guy?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Booties posted:

I got long arms. Is this why my BP sucks?

It's been my excuse.

Front squats, however, aren't a problem

325 x 3

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEHr9uxpQQo/

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Dza posted:

Mettle looks cool and I'm gunna go there today and check it out. http://mettleperformance.ca/
So, I went here today and talked to several of the largest men I have ever seen. They were cool as gently caress, and stoked that I was interested in the place. It's all the usual, plus Atlas balls, giant tires, and other such cool poo poo in a warehouse. I'll be joining.

They have a guy on staff that I talked to who does Functional Movement Screening http://mettleperformance.ca/?classes=postural-movement-screenings and he suggested that he could coach me through my stiffness and inflexibility. Of course he gets paid to suggest this, so I seek your input. Seems legit but you guys would know.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Pulled a rep of 435 today for a PR. Then squat 240 for 5x10. I am slain.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dza posted:

So, I went here today and talked to several of the largest men I have ever seen. They were cool as gently caress, and stoked that I was interested in the place. It's all the usual, plus Atlas balls, giant tires, and other such cool poo poo in a warehouse. I'll be joining.

They have a guy on staff that I talked to who does Functional Movement Screening http://mettleperformance.ca/?classes=postural-movement-screenings and he suggested that he could coach me through my stiffness and inflexibility. Of course he gets paid to suggest this, so I seek your input. Seems legit but you guys would know.

Yeah, that's the kinda stuff where I fall off the wagon. From my perspective, that's just putting numbers on things for little reason, but as someone who was taught to stretch starting at age 7, I probably don't have the most normal perspective on it.

It will basically give you numbers to 'improve' and that in itself is sometimes incentive to do it, but it will do nothing to actually improve them. To improve them you need to stretch. As you stretch more, the numbers will get better, correlating with a larger range of motion with legs/arms, deeper squats, ability to bend over normally easily, etc. Do you need the numbers to tell you that you can squat deeper, left your leg higher, etc., or can you tell that yourself?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Dza posted:

If that's affordable for you it's not a waste of money, but I don't think it's necessary either.

Glad it seems to be moving in the right direction.

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 13, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any reason to do a rack pull if you can deadlift?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you just want a little variety.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

Work on your lockout, get extra work in without taxing your lower back, work your upper back, for funzies.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

notZaar posted:

First pull injuries.

Also listen to the guy who exclusively deadlifts.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

FizFashizzle posted:

First pull injuries.

Also listen to the guy who exclusively deadlifts.

When I do my lovely attempts at cleans it feels like I get forearm tendinitis after. Any idea what I'm doing wrong, clean guy?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

When I do my lovely attempts at cleans it feels like I get forearm tendinitis after. Any idea what I'm doing wrong, clean guy?

Probably you need more soap, too dirty.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

Tight elbows most likely, or a weak front rack position in general. Mobilize that poo poo.

Additionally are you gripping the bar as you transition into the catch? You have to be stupid flexible to hold on to a bar through the catch position.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Last time I tried to clean I sprained my wrist for a week.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Lanky guy with cosmic leggings was back today hammer curling 20 lbs dumbbells. That double since the last time I saw him! Now I now his secret to mad gainz.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

Pulled a rep of 435 today for a PR. Then squat 240 for 5x10. I am slain.

Cast PhoenixDown by eating steak and sleeping 10 hours. Or get a Megalixir aka Tren

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

Cast PhoenixDown by eating steak and sleeping 10 hours. Or get a Megalixir aka Tren

How are your squats going on 8/6/3? It's PR week for me and I'm hoping to get 2-3 in at 370 on Friday.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't do cleans

WELL, that's my story

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I used to not to front squats or cleans because I thought I was too immobile and couldn't be fixed or that I'd crush my pacemaker, but it turns out I was just stupid and doing things wrong. This has been a theme in my life.

FizFashizzle posted:

Tight elbows most likely, or a weak front rack position in general. Mobilize that poo poo.

Additionally are you gripping the bar as you transition into the catch? You have to be stupid flexible to hold on to a bar through the catch position.

Cheers m8. I'll pay attention to wtf I'm doing in the transition and see if that's it. And I'll work on my mobility.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

How are your squats going on 8/6/3? It's PR week for me and I'm hoping to get 2-3 in at 370 on Friday.

Did 300x8 Monday and I'm still feeling it. The extra volume is nice but I'm working through the doms you get whenever you increase it. I'm doing the "more squatting" variant so my main squats are Monday and I do up to 300x3 on tuesday/thursday and today I do an extra 335x1 set. I'm supposed to squat on Friday but I save my legs for deadlifts and add a couple of down sets for some extra DL volume.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I clean with a suicide/thumbless grip, which seems to help my wrist flexibility (without mashing thumbs into paste like hook grip).

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sassassin posted:

I clean with a suicide/thumbless grip, which seems to help my wrist flexibility (without mashing thumbs into paste like hook grip).

Yeah I don't use my thumbs for most of my attempts at oly lifting. The only thing I really need them for are clean deadlifts/pulls and heavy snatches. Still haven't bothered adding hook grip as I can barely remember what to do for the movements when not paying attention to my grip

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
225 5x5 squat today ended up 5/5/5/3/3 with knees really trying to track inward. Seemingly much harder than 215 which i crushed on Friday with no inward tracking (okay maybe a little in the last reps of set 4 & 5).

Benched 165 5x5 after squatting.

Then went and sat in my car with the AC blasting so i wouldn't puke. Which has never happened to me before so that was new and exciting.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

Booties posted:

Lanky guy with cosmic leggings was back today hammer curling 20 lbs dumbbells. That double since the last time I saw him! Now I now his secret to mad gainz.

Do you go to my gym?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Booties posted:

lol mind your business, i know what im doing

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Revenants Return posted:

Do you go to my gym?

Yes

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

Did 300x8 Monday and I'm still feeling it. The extra volume is nice but I'm working through the doms you get whenever you increase it. I'm doing the "more squatting" variant so my main squats are Monday and I do up to 300x3 on tuesday/thursday and today I do an extra 335x1 set. I'm supposed to squat on Friday but I save my legs for deadlifts and add a couple of down sets for some extra DL volume.

Jesus do you squat every day you lift? I thank god for every day I don't have to do legs. And yeah high volume squats give me DOMS like nothing else.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Finaly broke 100kg squatting today... 220lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21css5uxW1s
Feels good to have two things at 100kg+ :)

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

Jesus do you squat every day you lift? I thank god for every day I don't have to do legs. And yeah high volume squats give me DOMS like nothing else.

Every day but deadlift day. However its only 300x3 two days and 335x1 on bench day. I'm currently 5 days a week but Tues/Thur are easy days. Today is 300x3 squats then high rep incline bench/chin ups.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Uxzuigal posted:

Finaly broke 100kg squatting today... 220lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21css5uxW1s
Feels good to have two things at 100kg+ :)

:shittypop: that depth!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Try going to one of these gyms, Dza. http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/index.php?id=9 I can't stress how much it helps going to a gym where people actually care about lifting. Figure out who's in charge and tell them you're new and don't want to gently caress yourself up, and they should be able to direct you to someone who can help. Or just find the biggest dude that doesn't act like a piece of poo poo. Most of them are usually nice.

not surprised at all that a town called Moose Jaw has a good gym

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SpeedyCow posted:

Every day but deadlift day. However its only 300x3 two days and 335x1 on bench day. I'm currently 5 days a week but Tues/Thur are easy days. Today is 300x3 squats then high rep incline bench/chin ups.

Is your goal to lower your center of gravity to your thighs or something?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Holy hell that first day squatting after a few weeks off results in some brutal DOMS did a few sets of 5 at 95kg after a warm up yesterday and now my thighs and asscheeks are on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Gaz2k21 posted:

Holy hell that first day squatting after a few weeks off results in some brutal DOMS did a few sets of 5 at 95kg after a warm up yesterday and now my thighs and asscheeks are on fire.

I can relate today. Those squats I did was the beginning of a living hell, not even when I started working out I had DOMS like this. And yeah, DOMS starting the first day, that is a new one for me.

• Locked thread