Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where / what was he?

Green Beret in Vietnam. He went hippie the minute he got back, bummed around California, then met my mom and had my brothers and I a few decades later. I'm honestly surprised he got the slides printed, he never talked about that time much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Crow Jane posted:

Is sharing cool family stuff okay?

My dad is an old banjo-playing man with a Gandalf beard today, but according to some slides he recently had printed up, he was Archer before I was born:

Crow Jane posted:

Green Beret in Vietnam. He went hippie the minute he got back, bummed around California, then met my mom and had my brothers and I a few decades later. I'm honestly surprised he got the slides printed, he never talked about that time much.

If I ever looked that good at any point in my life I would tell everyone ever.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My father is literally dying in hospice tonight yet all this silliness about doing X with our dead bodies is making me laugh, so thanks for all those unique perspectives and foolishness.

I learned recently an old family friend of his saw him as a second father because my dad took him in when no one else would. This was back in the early 60s when Americans were still not too keen on Japanese immigrants, yet my father didn't give a poo poo. How in the hell he was so bigoted in the last few years is far beyond me but that doesn't matter now. Not giving a gently caress what society thinks and helping people out is pretty badass in my book.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane posted:

Is sharing cool family stuff okay?

My dad is an old banjo-playing man with a Gandalf beard today, but according to some slides he recently had printed up, he was Archer before I was born:

yeah but did his cyborg body have a dick?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where / what was he?

On the set of Red Dawn.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

I refuse to believe that is anything less than a big ol' can of oval office's Juice in the background.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My father is literally dying in hospice tonight yet all this silliness about doing X with our dead bodies is making me laugh, so thanks for all those unique perspectives and foolishness.

I learned recently an old family friend of his saw him as a second father because my dad took him in when no one else would. This was back in the early 60s when Americans were still not too keen on Japanese immigrants, yet my father didn't give a poo poo. How in the hell he was so bigoted in the last few years is far beyond me but that doesn't matter now. Not giving a gently caress what society thinks and helping people out is pretty badass in my book.
People being good to other despite society/context are indeed badass.
My grandfather was a teenager during WW2 in occupied France, he was arrested by german soldiers at one point. Young men older than 16 were to be sent to some prison or camp under suspiscion of being part of the resistance I think, kids under were released. He was 17 at that time but looked younger. The guy in charge falsified my grandfather's papers to change his birthdate two years off and he got released.
Years later they met again by chance and proceeded to get drunk as hell. In the end, the german guy stood up straight, said with his strong german accent "I think I've had a little too much" and then collapsed unconcious with a gracious 90° trajectory on the ground.
I wish I had met the guy, I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for him.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zanael posted:

People being good to other despite society/context are indeed badass.
My grandfather was a teenager during WW2 in occupied France, he was arrested by german soldiers at one point. Young men older than 16 were to be sent to some prison or camp under suspiscion of being part of the resistance I think, kids under were released. He was 17 at that time but looked younger. The guy in charge falsified my grandfather's papers to change his birthdate two years off and he got released.
Years later they met again by chance and proceeded to get drunk as hell. In the end, the german guy stood up straight, said with his strong german accent "I think I've had a little too much" and then collapsed unconcious with a gracious 90° trajectory on the ground.
I wish I had met the guy, I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for him.

I read something about an American pilot whose bomber got absolutely shot to poo poo. All the instruments were hosed, naturally, so he ended flying the wrong way, farther into Germany. The fighter that got scrambled to shoot him down saw how mangled the plane was, and couldn't bring himself to shoot it. Instead, he flew up next to the bomber, where the American could see him, and pointed emphatically the other way. The bomber got the message, wheeled around, and got home... well, in no more pieces than it already has been.

They say war is about killing men who, in other circumstances, you'd be buying drinks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I read something about an American pilot whose bomber got absolutely shot to poo poo. All the instruments were hosed, naturally, so he ended flying the wrong way, farther into Germany. The fighter that got scrambled to shoot him down saw how mangled the plane was, and couldn't bring himself to shoot it. Instead, he flew up next to the bomber, where the American could see him, and pointed emphatically the other way. The bomber got the message, wheeled around, and got home... well, in no more pieces than it already has been.

They say war is about killing men who, in other circumstances, you'd be buying drinks.

That would be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brown_and_Franz_Stigler_incident

Here's some more info on them meeting after the war:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oting-down.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I love stories like this. The quote from the German commander is great: "You are fighter pilots first, last, and always. If I ever hear of you shooting someone in a parachute, I'll shoot you myself."

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zanael posted:

Maybe our grandfathers met?

Mind you, that's apparently a police officer's uniform.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mars

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Badass war stories? Ok! This is the best Medal of Honor award winner I've ever seen or heard about:

January 29, 1945, Holzheim, Belgium…a ragtag group of US paratroopers was assaulting the tiny town of mostly burned out buildings, rubble and Germans.

US Army First Sergeant Leonard A. Funk, Jr. had taken command of a small platoon after their second lieutenant was killed. There were 5 US Soldiers in all that day, made up of clerks and translators. They had captured about 80 German soldiers, who surrendered thinking the attacking US forces were much larger.

After policing the prisoners, Funk decided to link up with the main force of American paratroopers, supposedly stationed on the opposite end of town. He ordered the other four to guard their prize and said he would return shortly. Of course, the moment Funk left his men, a small patrol of enemy troops happened upon the gathering. The Soldiers were quickly overtaken and forced to free the prisoners.

Unable to find other friendlies in the area, Funk returned to the scene just as the released Germans were rearming. As he rounded the corner of a toppled café, he was met with the barrel of an MP-40 machine gun pressed into his gut. The German officer behind the weapon began to scream at Funk, who was, needless to say, confused.

Instead of dropping his Thompson and putting his hands in the air, Funk calmly looked around. He saw his four men, kneeling with their hands on their heads. He saw his Wehrmacht prisoners, now armed and aiming their rifles at him. He then looked at the screaming German officer…and couldn’t help bursting into laughter.

Although later he insisted he tried to stop, the laughter just kept coming. A man shouting German at him (which Funk did not speak and neither did any of his comrades) just…seemed hilarious. His outburst and non-compliance was so bizarre that many of the Germans began to chuckle, which made Funk laugh even harder. He hollered to his men, “I don’t understand what he’s saying!” The German officer was becoming increasingly agitated, screaming louder and angrier.

Then, Funk did the unthinkable.

In a lighting-fast maneuver he swung his Thompson around and opened fire, emptying his magazine. Within a matter of seconds, Funk had cut the officer in half. He opened up on the other Germans while shouting to his men to pick up weapons and join him. The small force was able to quickly kill 20 enemy soldiers before the remainder threw down their guns and surrendered.

After a storm of heavy breaths, Funk secured the area and resumed his laughing spell. The other men watched Funk as he buckled in his fit and reportedly gasped, “That was the stupidest loving thing I’ve ever seen!”

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/lssZ42B.webm

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
The camera shakes from the shock wave of him hitting the ground.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That sumo just looks like a goon

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Soulex posted:

Badass war stories? Ok! This is the best Medal of Honor award winner I've ever seen or heard about :

January 29, 1945, Holzheim, Belgium…a ragtag group of US paratroopers was assaulting the tiny town of mostly burned out buildings, rubble and Germans.

US Army First Sergeant Leonard A. Funk, Jr. had taken command of a small platoon after their second lieutenant was killed. There were 5 US Soldiers in all that day, made up of clerks and translators. They had captured about 80 German soldiers, who surrendered thinking the attacking US forces were much larger.

After policing the prisoners, Funk decided to link up with the main force of American paratroopers, supposedly stationed on the opposite end of town. He ordered the other four to guard their prize and said he would return shortly. Of course, the moment Funk left his men, a small patrol of enemy troops happened upon the gathering. The Soldiers were quickly overtaken and forced to free the prisoners.

Unable to find other friendlies in the area, Funk returned to the scene just as the released Germans were rearming. As he rounded the corner of a toppled café, he was met with the barrel of an MP-40 machine gun pressed into his gut. The German officer behind the weapon began to scream at Funk, who was, needless to say, confused.

Instead of dropping his Thompson and putting his hands in the air, Funk calmly looked around. He saw his four men, kneeling with their hands on their heads. He saw his Wehrmacht prisoners, now armed and aiming their rifles at him. He then looked at the screaming German officer…and couldn’t help bursting into laughter.

Although later he insisted he tried to stop, the laughter just kept coming. A man shouting German at him (which Funk did not speak and neither did any of his comrades) just…seemed hilarious. His outburst and non-compliance was so bizarre that many of the Germans began to chuckle, which made Funk laugh even harder. He hollered to his men, “I don’t understand what he’s saying!” The German officer was becoming increasingly agitated, screaming louder and angrier.

Then, Funk did the unthinkable.

In a lighting-fast maneuver he swung his Thompson around and opened fire, emptying his magazine. Within a matter of seconds, Funk had cut the officer in half. He opened up on the other Germans while shouting to his men to pick up weapons and join him. The small force was able to quickly kill 20 enemy soldiers before the remainder threw down their guns and surrendered.

After a storm of heavy breaths, Funk secured the area and resumed his laughing spell. The other men watched Funk as he buckled in his fit and reportedly gasped, “That was the stupidest loving thing I’ve ever seen!”

:stare:

That's cold as loving ice!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This freaking guy, who died recently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

The last, potential ever, Crow warchief.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Josef bugman posted:

The last, potential ever, Crow warchief.

How do you figure that?

For more horse-mounted modern badassery:

quote:

With his position plotting complete, Nelson began calling in air strikes. As the bombs began to fall, Dostum shouted into his radio, “Charge!” The first horse cavalry charge of the 21st century had begun.

To reach the enemy, Dostum’s troops, about 1,500 cavalry and 1,500 infantry, would have to travel a mile over an open plain cut by seven ridges, each between 50 and 100 feet high and spaced about 600 feet apart. The momentum of their attack would be slowed during the crossing of those ridges and, worse, make them sitting ducks each time they reached the top of a ridge. To anyone familiar with military history, the Battle of Bishqab had the potential of being the Charge of the Light Brigade, Fredericksburg, and Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg all rolled into one.

The difference here, of course, was American air power. But would it be enough?

When the first wave of horsemen had covered about a half-mile, the surviving Taliban heavy weapons opened up. Men and horses began falling to the ground, dead or screaming in pain from their wounds. But whether it was the fact that the horsemen were moving too fast, that the Taliban troops had not ranged their weapons, or some other reason, the defensive fire was not as concentrated or as accurate as it should have been.

When the surviving horsemen reached the second ridge, they halted, leaped off their horses, and laid down cover fire for the second wave of cavalry. That second line crashed into the Taliban trenches. Suddenly Taliban soldiers were throwing away their weapons and running away. The battle continued to rage as darkness fell. When the aircraft above had to leave to refuel, Dostum’s troops were forced to abandon the battlefield when armored Taliban reinforcements arrived.

The attack on Bishqab was followed by a larger engagement at Cobaki the next day. Once again, air strikes knocked out enemy armor and artillery and were followed up by horse cavalry charge. At one crucial moment when it looked like the tide would turn against Dostum’s cavalry, Nelson and a number of other members of ODA 595 found themselves riding into action to help retake the initiative. The strategic initiative had now shifted.
http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/operation-enduring-freedom-the-first-49-days-4/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thump! posted:

:stare:

That's cold as loving ice!

All I can say, that 'badass' is lucky not to have been on the Eastern front, the Germans wouldn't have politely waited for him to stop laughing before unceremoniously shooting him in the head.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Phlegmish posted:

All I can say, that 'badass' is lucky not to have been on the Eastern front, the Germans wouldn't have politely waited for him to stop laughing before unceremoniously shooting him in the head.

1SG Badass posted:

That was the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

This is a painting called The Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks.
(Or maybe, The Group 'W' Bench)

Why is it badass?
The Cossacks were formulating their response to this letter from the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire:

quote:

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporogian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.
This was their response that they were working so diligently on:

quote:

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress your mother.
You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!
So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!
(It rhymed in the original)

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
http://i.imgur.com/9jYMG2r.webm
http://i.imgur.com/Pd6gxCT.webm

http://i.imgur.com/QVpPdv8.webm
http://i.imgur.com/hZKWQzv.webm

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

http://i.imgur.com/4IwybkO.webm
http://i.imgur.com/Rd1abp1.webm
http://i.imgur.com/skiiEvP.webm

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiiSsTwLDds&t=5s

:colbert:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/MW6yUg9.webm

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Compressed air? How does he not just end up arse over tit?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Balance?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gorilla Salad posted:

Creative tit placement perhaps (low anchor mounts)?

In all seriousness though I believe its a gas powered fan he's standing on and the fuel tank is on his back.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Gorilla Salad posted:

Because it's a very well put together hoax for the purpose of viral marketing. The guys who made the video are also the ones who make those water jet packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he2a4xK8ctk

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/hbhAAAL.gifv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dunno if there's a badass videos thread. Unless I find it, I'm putting this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BTSnQFuz0

A bunch of motorcycle vs. motorcycle police chases from Brazil. Most of them look like something from a movie or GTA game.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

chitoryu12 posted:

Dunno if there's a badass videos thread. Unless I find it, I'm putting this here.

A bunch of motorcycle vs. motorcycle police chases from Brazil. Most of them look like something from a movie or GTA game.

I think the video is using a remix of The Soviet Connection from GTA IV also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6mFNznjmbM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

I think the video is using a remix of The Soviet Connection from GTA IV also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6mFNznjmbM

It's actually the backing track of this Russian rap song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqmLxiw6vsc

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Badass improvisation

https://i.imgur.com/NAVndM7.webm

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

That is cool to watch, but why do they chase them like that? All those clips have guaranteed wipeouts at the end, some pretty brutal ones too and I bet a lot of those guys are hurting real bad once the adrenaline wears off. Imagine all the videos they don't release to the public. Where I live the cops never chase bikes, even in cruisers. The daredevils usually get caught up the line anyway, not hard to spot. It doesn't seem worth it to chase some punk at high speeds and risk the suspects or the cops like that.

Those chases go through some rough looking areas and I don't doubt that most of those dudes did something nasty, but really is it worth some French Connection street race to nab some doubled-up kids without helmets who always wreck a couple miles up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

life is a joke posted:

That is cool to watch, but why do they chase them like that? All those clips have guaranteed wipeouts at the end, some pretty brutal ones too and I bet a lot of those guys are hurting real bad once the adrenaline wears off. Imagine all the videos they don't release to the public. Where I live the cops never chase bikes, even in cruisers. The daredevils usually get caught up the line anyway, not hard to spot. It doesn't seem worth it to chase some punk at high speeds and risk the suspects or the cops like that.

Those chases go through some rough looking areas and I don't doubt that most of those dudes did something nasty, but really is it worth some French Connection street race to nab some doubled-up kids without helmets who always wreck a couple miles up?

Brazil.

Not trying to be funny but that's literally the reason.