Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

e X posted:

I am really looking forward to Ten Little Indians on a boat. Togashi is really good at setting up additional limitations , beyond simple skill levels between opponents, so I also wonder what weird conditions this succession game will have.

I'd imagine the first few conditions being no outright and obvious murder and if the death of a prince it tied to another or to one of their bodyguards/associates, then the connected prince forfeits their right to the throne. Leaving the boat is also grounds for the loss of claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not a fan of how exposition-heavy Togashi's last few chapters have been, but otherwise I'm super psyched for the royal succession bloodbath.

Relin posted:

I look forward to see what assholes each of the remaining princes are, if Tserriednich thought they were scum
I don't think Tserriednich's opinion on whether or not someone is scum has anything to do with whether or not they're a worse person than him.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Can someone summarize who any of these people are? I flipped through a few chapters previous and other than the Association's head being all zodiac animals I have no clue who anyone is. Biscuit is Gon's teacher, but the rest are...!? The Mafia are...?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Kurapika is Gon's friend from the Hunter Exam and one of the nominal main characters of the series. Hanzo is another Hunter who passed at the same time and a major character from that arc. Basho and Melody are Kurapika's co-workers in the mafia from the York Shin arc. Biscuit is Biscuit, and the other guy is Kurapika's nen trainer who isn't important at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pinegala posted:

Can someone summarize who any of these people are? I flipped through a few chapters previous and other than the Association's head being all zodiac animals I have no clue who anyone is. Biscuit is Gon's teacher, but the rest are...!? The Mafia are...?

That one guy who taught kurapika nen

That short chick who worked with kurapika and was exposed to an evil demon symphony that mutated her into an elf

That other guy who was the other bodyguard to survive alongside kurapika in yorknew

That ninja from the hunter exam

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
  • Hanzo, the bald dude, took the Hunter's exam with the others
  • Melody, the ugly, small woman, is a fellow bodyguard from when Kurapika joined up with the mafia to gain underworld access
  • Basho, the dude in the sleevles shirt, is the same story
  • Mizuken, the scrubby guy, taught Kurapika Nen.

Though, do I understand you correctly that you haven't read or watched anything HxH before? Because, starting with chapter 350 is a little weird.

Also, what is our spoiler policy here?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The short version is that they are Kurapika's new posse and most if not all of them are gonna die horribly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

e X posted:

Also, what is our spoiler policy here?
This is thread is primarily geared towards manga readers and people who've seen the whole anime.

There's no need for tags at all unless your posting is informed by RAWs nobody else can read/has access to yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Trying to understand the situation with Halkenburg. From what I understand he is a reformist who wants to change how the entire country is run and is unpopular with most of his family for this with the exception of Tserriednich who he gets along with. The weaker siblings who don't think they can become king want him to win the contest on the premise of blackmailing him by threatening to reveal how he obtained kingship which would ruin his reforming plans, in exchange for their safety and status as princes being kept.

This is how I understand it. Can anyone correct me if I made any mistakes.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

This is thread is primarily geared towards manga readers and people who've seen the whole anime.

There's no need for tags at all unless your posting is informed by RAWs nobody else can read/has access to yet.

There used to be a 1 week spoiler rule for new chapters, is that gone now?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Erg posted:

Oh my god there were so many words and i forgot all about what this prince bs is

Oxxidation posted:

It's kind of eerie how Togashi just picks up all the pieces of this convoluted scenario so easily after such a long gap. Some of the stuff here reminds me of Liar's Game.

There is allegedly a comment by Togashi's mom saying he had a bunch of chapters already written up but he didn't think it was enough for serialization.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
His mom publicly comments on hxh's status?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsterEnvy posted:

Trying to understand the situation with Halkenburg. From what I understand he is a reformist who wants to change how the entire country is run and is unpopular with most of his family for this with the exception of Tserriednich who he gets along with. The weaker siblings who don't think they can become king want him to win the contest on the premise of blackmailing him by threatening to reveal how he obtained kingship which would ruin his reforming plans, in exchange for their safety and status as princes being kept.

This is how I understand it. Can anyone correct me if I made any mistakes.

That's how I understood it as well.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So goddamn excited for this murderboat voyage. Hoping against hope we get a good chunk of chapters before he vanishes again. I would hope for a whole arc but I'm not stupid.

Also, I want Biscuit and Hanzo to survive, but I'll settle for just Biscuit. Hanzo's cool but we barely know him.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting a Hunger Games vibe.

A Hunter Games, if you will.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

e X posted:

Though, do I understand you correctly that you haven't read or watched anything HxH before? Because, starting with chapter 350 is a little weird.

It's just been ages since I touched HxH. I've read all of it at one point, so all the characters look familiar but I have no clue who any of them are. I think the Ant King guy got killed by a nuke? Forgot how Gon lost his Nen ability. Seriously how this series has had discussion for all these years is beyond me.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

pinegala posted:

It's just been ages since I touched HxH. I've read all of it at one point, so all the characters look familiar but I have no clue who any of them are. I think the Ant King guy got killed by a nuke? Forgot how Gon lost his Nen ability. Seriously how this series has had discussion for all these years is beyond me.

If you read it all you know how good it is man.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pinegala posted:

i think you're a phony!!!!!!!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

pinegala posted:

That is completely understandable, actually. I guess for me, HxH is just a series that's basically ingrained into my memory.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

alkanphel posted:

There used to be a 1 week spoiler rule for new chapters, is that gone now?
That rule's been gone for a long time, though some thread's still enforce it on their own.

If a new chapter's out and someone's posted a link to it in-thread, every post thereafter is fair game for openly discussing what transpired in it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

pinegala posted:

Seriously how this series has had discussion for all these years is beyond me.

The anime airing for 3 years and being Really Really Good probably accounts for a good chunk of continued interest. HxH also just owns in general, so yeah.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

That rule's been gone for a long time, though some thread's still enforce it on their own.

If a new chapter's out and someone's posted a link to it in-thread, every post thereafter is fair game for openly discussing what transpired in it.

Shows how slow I am to the news :downs:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I've got to admit i was really disappointed when the spoilers that said Kurapika was working for the baby didn't mean the baby himself hired him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I've got to admit i was really disappointed when the spoilers that said Kurapika was working for the baby didn't mean the baby himself hired him.

Honestly, with this series, it's entirely possible that the baby will become an individual that could prove useful beyond just being a prince and a baby. (Awakened Nen by "Baptism?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly, with this series, it's entirely possible that the baby will become an individual that could prove useful beyond just being a prince and a baby. (Awakened Nen by "Baptism?"

All of the Princes are going to get Nen Beasts as Guardians by putting their blood in that pot. It's possible Woble could get a very strong or useful in other ways Nen Beast.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recognized Izunabi more or less immediately but couldn't remember who he was until the panel saying his name (which I don't think we got before) and relationship with Kurapika. Interesting to see him show up; I wonder what his powers are like. He taught Kurapika those really nasty tricks for learning nen and all.

Also, how Kurapika dealt with Biscuit was fantastic.

And yeah, I wonder what sort of freaky monster thing Woble's going to get. And the game-playing kid; man, I wonder if the succession's going to go all the way through or get taken off the rails before only one person's standing. HXH doesn't shy away from killing off kids, so absolutely none of them are safe.

Man, this has so much potential to be amazing and crazy. I am incredibly hyped up for this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

I recognized Izunabi more or less immediately but couldn't remember who he was until the panel saying his name (which I don't think we got before) and relationship with Kurapika. Interesting to see him show up; I wonder what his powers are like. He taught Kurapika those really nasty tricks for learning nen and all.

Also, how Kurapika dealt with Biscuit was fantastic.

And yeah, I wonder what sort of freaky monster thing Woble's going to get. And the game-playing kid; man, I wonder if the succession's going to go all the way through or get taken off the rails before only one person's standing. HXH doesn't shy away from killing off kids, so absolutely none of them are safe.

Man, this has so much potential to be amazing and crazy. I am incredibly hyped up for this.

We did not get Izunabi's name before. In fact that he was namless caused the anime to make up a name for him. Mizuken, so I am kind of surprised Togashi did not just use that name and instead went with a new one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He's also a member of the Zodiacs and, by the end of this arc, will probably be chief guard of the new baby king or some poo poo. The guy is going to accidentally take over the world looking for those drat eyes.

Speaking of the Zodiacs, isn't this kind of a conflict of interest for him? Like, he's getting himself directly involved in the internal politics of the country that is funding Beyond's expedition.

Mizaistom is fully aware that Kurapika is going after his clansmen's eyes. But Kurapika has assured him that whatever method he will use, won't be lethal because in his words.; two people said they would rather die than give up the eyes they had acquired. But in the end they did without dying.

Plus Right now Kurapika is also helping plug a new leak in the boat's security, granted this was before he knew about the battle for succession. Before they just had to worry about assassins and such infiltrating the vessel through the hunter's exam or aptitude tests from within the organization (namely Pariston's temp hunters). Under the assumption that such agents would try and aid Beyond once they got to the New World. But with Kurapika they were able to bounce back a large number of the ones who were knowingly coming onto the vessel with ill intent including most of the higher princes assassins. But with the remaining prince's hiring any pro-hunter they can find, it means that they can't control who get's brought onto the boat that way.

So Kurapika's faction has been able to at least infiltrate those 6 princes initially to get him closer to Tsserriednich; and now that he's aware of the fight for the throne, maybe do something about it since that will cause it's own complications for this voyage.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Who do you think is going to die first and why is it Kurapikas nen mentor?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Who do you think is going to die first and why is it Kurapikas nen mentor?

Hey, it could also be the yakuza guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But really, I'm betting on the baby's mother.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Roland Jones posted:

lol we're getting another 9 chapters if we're lucky this time and never seeing the end of this arc

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Why aren't dying kids requesting HxH be finished via the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Seems like it would be very beneficial.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

All of the Princes are going to get Nen Beasts as Guardians by putting their blood in that pot. It's possible Woble could get a very strong or useful in other ways Nen Beast.

I had completely forgotten about that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lpzie posted:

Why aren't dying kids requesting HxH be finished via the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Seems like it would be very beneficial.

As if Togashi gives a crap about dying kids.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

In fact I think that is going to be the twist, the nen beasts... Sorry, the stands will change all their plans as some of the "weak" princes will get strong ones so they will abandon the original plan and will try to win for themselves.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Turin Turambar posted:

In fact I think that is going to be the twist, the nen beasts... Sorry, the stands will change all their plans as some of the "weak" princes will get strong ones so they will abandon the original plan and will try to win for themselves.

if they were weak willed they won't get a strong beast. Patrick Bateman prince would prolly get one of the strongest

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

if they were weak willed they won't get a strong beast. Patrick Bateman prince would prolly get one of the strongest

They presumably wont get a powerful one at least. Arguably, they could still be quite useful when used in the right ways (one of the recurring themes of Nen abilities).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

They presumably wont get a powerful one at least. Arguably, they could still be quite useful when used in the right ways (one of the recurring themes of Nen abilities).

The one issue is that it was stated none of them will have direct control over their Nen Beasts. Still I am going to bet it will be fairly interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Fuuuuuck we're back and I'm hype forever

Agreeing that Killua's tip for dealing with Biscuit was just the best. :allears:

Though now I'm wondering if Woble's nen beast has some sort of contact trigger. Why would Mom (I know she has a name) hand the baby over to Kurapika just like that, knowing just how amoral Hunters are? loving Togashi making me doubt a tender gesture :ohdear: