Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I assume Etrian Oddysey 5.

Does that have an NA date already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Motto posted:

Apoc, P5, and what else?

I, for one, am highly anticipating TMS

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

Is there even a JP release date?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Is there even a JP release date?

I forget, but it's some day in August.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Just to confirm: Apoc fixed the map to be comprehensible by people who are not from Tokyo, right? 'cause trying to navigate really turned me off of SMT IV.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Man, that last boss theme sounds cool. Hope to hear the HD version.

SMTIV might not have had as memorable tracks as Nocturne, but there were a few gems. The Tokyo map theme was pretty good, despite being a part of a really annoying aspects of the gameplay.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: oh i'm blind

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Genpei Turtle posted:

If you liked the music in IV you'll like Apocalypse because it's literally all the same :v:

They do have a few new tracks which are pretty good though. The last boss theme (spoilers, obviously) in particular I like a lot. Some aren't so great though, like they have a dungeon which is a remix of the SMT2 last boss theme of all things.

I dunno, I wouldn't say it's 'literally all the same' when there's 35 new tracks (admittedly some are remixes, but still).

I'm so excited for Apocalypse, I'm working my way through IV at the moment and the music, atmosphere and combat are all really engrossing. This year's so stacked with 3DS RPGs though, I'll never have time for all these -- Dragon Quest VII alone will take up months :v:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

It's not confirmed to be coming out in NA/EU at all yet, although it almost certainly will.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yay SMTIV: Apocalypse.

I can't wait to play it when it comes out for europe in 2020.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Apocalypse is an awesome subtitle

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Just to confirm: Apoc fixed the map to be comprehensible by people who are not from Tokyo, right? 'cause trying to navigate really turned me off of SMT IV.

It's much, much better. Paths and dead-ends are much more obvious, and there's always a flag blinking on the map for where you should go next for main quests. For side quests they don't have the flag, and they aren't always in a major location, but with the exception of maybe one or two the text description of the quest will tell you where to go relative to a major area. I.E. "so-and-so place north of Ueno" or the like.

Also, for those playing Final, the "rescue the heroes from the previous SMT games" DLC dropped yesterday. It's probably the best DLC so far--it actually gives you a whole dungeon to explore instead of just a bunch of text interspersed with fights. You'll probably also want to download the DLC that removes the level cap (it's free) if you do it though--the boss would be really hard at only level 99 I suspect.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This is gonna be good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's much, much better. Paths and dead-ends are much more obvious, and there's always a flag blinking on the map for where you should go next for main quests. For side quests they don't have the flag, and they aren't always in a major location, but with the exception of maybe one or two the text description of the quest will tell you where to go relative to a major area. I.E. "so-and-so place north of Ueno" or the like.

Also, for those playing Final, the "rescue the heroes from the previous SMT games" DLC dropped yesterday. It's probably the best DLC so far--it actually gives you a whole dungeon to explore instead of just a bunch of text interspersed with fights. You'll probably also want to download the DLC that removes the level cap (it's free) if you do it though--the boss would be really hard at only level 99 I suspect.

Oh neat.

The previous MC actually talk or are still silent?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OH YEAH! LET'S GET TO CANCEL THAT MOTHERFUCKING APOCALYPSE :black101:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I suspect it would be a better game if Idris Elba voiced/was the main character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CottonWolf posted:

I suspect it would be a better game if Idris Elba voiced/was the main character.
I mean, that could be said for anything

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh neat.

The previous MC actually talk or are still silent?

They all talk, and even have VAs for a few lines. Not much though.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i actually like the art in IV.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apocalypse details. Genpei mentioned these changes before, but in case anybody missed them:

quote:

Partner Up for Success – A new twist on the SMTIV combat formula allows players to bring one of seven partners to battle (in addition to the standard three demons), each with their own unique skills and AI. Plus, partners will fill up a meter that will interrupt the enemy, do massive damage, and give players an extra turn. Given the excruciating difficulty of battles in Shin Megami Tensei, the partner system will allow for new player strategies.

Fuse For Affinities – Demon fusion, combining two or more demons to form a more powerful one, is one of the cornerstones of Shin Megami Tensei games, and now demons will have affinities for certain skills, giving players more decisions to make about which skills fusions will inherit.

Press Turns and Smirking – The Press Turn system returns, which gives players (or enemies!) extra turns for exploiting weaknesses. The Smirk system returns as well, which gives huge offensive and defensive boosts to party members (or enemies) and now unlocks bonuses for certain skills, such as insta-kill attacks.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/14/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-coming-north-america-summer-2016/#u6vA4u02ZIRi0XBv.99

The affinity system referred to means that, for example, a Jack Frost will be able to use Ice skills more effectively and at lesser cost, and the inverse for fire-element skills.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i actually like the art in IV.

I like the art that Masayuki Doi was responsible for. A lot of the stuff that was contributed by the guest designers really didn't mesh well.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Motto posted:

Partner Up for Success – A new twist on the SMTIV combat formula allows players to bring one of seven partners to battle (in addition to the standard three demons), each with their own unique skills and AI. Plus, partners will fill up a meter that will interrupt the enemy, do massive damage, and give players an extra turn. Given the excruciating difficulty of battles in Shin Megami Tensei, the partner system will allow for new player strategies.

In practice this is really only OK. Partners are smarter than in IV as they won't attack enemy strengths, except Gaston who will occasionally do so when stealing press turns because he's a dumbshit. But most partners aren't really worth using--Asahi and Navarre are good, Hallelujah (I really hope they change this in Apocalypse, it's the dumbest name ever) is situationally useful, Isabeau is generic, the rest are kinda trash. The meter is great in boss fights though as you can steal enemy turns with it.

quote:

Fuse For Affinities – Demon fusion, combining two or more demons to form a more powerful one, is one of the cornerstones of Shin Megami Tensei games, and now demons will have affinities for certain skills, giving players more decisions to make about which skills fusions will inherit.

This is probably the best change from IV-->Final/Apocalypse, especially when minmaxing for optional postgame content. It can be advantageous to pick a low level demon over a higher one if it's got a really high affinity for a skill type--levels and stats can be easily raised, especially with DLC (there's an Incense grinding DLC this time) but the only way to raise Affinity is by grinding the Fiends in their dungeon for rare drops. And they get harder every time you kill them.

quote:

Press Turns and Smirking – The Press Turn system returns, which gives players (or enemies!) extra turns for exploiting weaknesses. The Smirk system returns as well, which gives huge offensive and defensive boosts to party members (or enemies) and now unlocks bonuses for certain skills, such as insta-kill attacks.

The Smirk system changes are a mixed bag. Smirking in general is way less of a big deal because the dodge bonus is gone, though critical hits seem to be guaranteed with a smirking character, including with magic. The bonuses are great for Hama/Mudo skills since they're now viable as straight-up attack skills instead of an all-or-nothing deal. But a lot of the top-tier skills are actually less useful. Antichthon only reduces stats if you cast it while smirking, for example, and the spell that heals HP and status ailments is just a very expensive Mediarahan unless you're smirking.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
that reminds me, what did they do with the fiends this time?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genpei Turtle posted:

Navarre good

Hell yeah.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I can't wait to use the power of :smug: to kill God again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Navarre is powerful

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sam Faust posted:

Going by what we have seen from the game this will be the first time in a while we get to actually kill YMVH

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Amazon has their page up for Apocalypse: http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV-Apocalypse-Nintendo/dp/B01EAIWW6M/

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

that reminds me, what did they do with the fiends this time?

Towards the end of the game a Fiend Dungeon opens up. It's randomly-generated with an increasingly greater number of levels between each Fiend. First 2 levels, then 3, then 4, then so forth, down to level 47 or something. You get 10 rounds to kill each Fiend and then you're booted out of the dungeon and have to find your way back down. Though you get to start back at the level after the last Fiend you killed, and Fiends don't heal most (any?) of the damage you do to them between fights. So as long as you can survive the 10 rounds you can eventually kill any of them. Also initially they feel less difficult than the Fiends in IV were.

There's also a Fiends DLC that adds an extra final boss to the dungeon. When you beat him, all the Fiends are resurrected and you can repeat the whole process. Each time you do this all the monsters in the dungeon, Fiends included, get a big power and level boost and start dropping better and better loot. After a couple of runs all the enemies in the dungeon will be level 200+, giving you an actual reason to break the game open with the level/stat/money/app/gem grinding DLC. This and the classic-SMT-hero DLC that dropped the other day are actually really good post-game content IMO.

Fameds are still bullshit RNG-gated, though if you make your entire party plus your MC sick you can get fusion errors about a third of the time so it's not as bad as IV.

Sam Faust posted:

Actually there is a plot element that involves literally harnessing the power of smack-talking to kill gods...

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't wait to marry Navarre

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't September 20th the same day as final fantasy xv

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Luna Was Here posted:

Isn't September 20th the same day as final fantasy xv

It's a placeholder date. Altus hasn't specified anything more than summer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually September 30th is the release date for FFXV tyvm

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
From r/megaten

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Luna Was Here posted:

From r/megaten

I love everything about this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No mention of 'Smirks' or 'Hoy'

Bad attempt at a meme, I say!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

No mention of 'Smirks'

The green face on the lower right

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

such is a sawmoorai's skill

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I hope we can calm down Lucifer enough by appealing to his inner Hoi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I like the art that Masayuki Doi was responsible for. A lot of the stuff that was contributed by the guest designers really didn't mesh well.

From what I've seen of the new demon designs in Apocalypse, they seem to look much better. It's kind of funny that strange journey did the same thing with demons done by a bunch of different artists, only it didn't look so jarring because it was 2d.