Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Etalommi posted:

Perhaps his father?

Yesssssssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Etalommi posted:

Perhaps his father?

It'd make sense. I mean, you know for sure he wasn't just sitting back and taking getting screwed by Blaine quietly. He had to have some kind of evil scheme on the side...getting a merc army ready to crown him zombie overlord sounds about right!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's that kind of foresight that he built his company on!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Picklepuss posted:

As much as I enjoy watching Blaine, it bothers me that despite all the nightmarish things he's done (including forcing women into sex slavery) he gets to be the hero while Rita was, as you say, unceremoniously disposed of.

The fact that it was Major who killed her made it even creepier. I probably should go back and re-watch it but did he at least attempt to help her escape? Part of what bothers me is it came off as if he deliberately left her behind.

this is for sure true and whether or not it was intentional her death comes off as sanctimonious judgment for her behavior, which was very jerky but not by any means evil on the level of any of the other primary antagonists

it doesn't help that the other plot line made a damsel-in-distress out of peyton

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Gifs? GIFS!

Was anyone else screaming at the TV, calling Liv a dumbfuck for hugging major and not GIVING HIM THE BRAINS? No? Just me? K.

Major?

Poor Rob Thomas

That's one way to do it!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

this is for sure true and whether or not it was intentional her death comes off as sanctimonious judgment for her behavior, which was very jerky but not by any means evil on the level of any of the other primary antagonists

it doesn't help that the other plot line made a damsel-in-distress out of peyton

I think they were going for something 'Shakespearean,' in the parent-child deaths...at least that's the sense I got based on Vaugh's soon-to-be ironic speech right before they both died. It didn't stick the landing though, and I agree the end result feels weird.

Killing Rita was just a bad choice all around; I hope it emerges that she wanted to leave the show or something and they didn't write her off 'just because.' If the show creator does any interviews I'd be really interested to see what he has to say on the subject...I'll post if I can find anything.

At least it looks like we have an excellent female antagonist replacing her, FWIW.

vvv To clarify, I'm not arguing Rita didn't 'deserve' to die, just that the way it was handled felt weird. Like oddly fast, unsatisfying...and an overall bad choice compared to letting her live, if only because there was potential for a strong post-Max Ranger character arc for her IMHO. Or at least some highly satisfying snark. Strikes me as a waste :shrug:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 15, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm sorry, but I think you folks are crazy. Rita did all the same poo poo her dad did. She was part of the blackmailing Major into killing people thing, the coverup that the company caused zombies thing, the secret lab where human/zombie experimentation is done thing, the series of murdered people who were covered up thing.

Morally/ethically Major leaving Rita to die or killing her himself is really no different than him doing the same to Vaughn. We can call into question whether it was right or wrong but Rita is just as far from an innocent as her dad. The only difference is that her dad hosed her over too in the end.

I liked her as a character and am sad she was killed off fairly unceremoniously too, but I don't blame Major for not crying over another monster dying just because he had sex with this one. Which, honestly, was kind of monstrous in itself.

And Drake got the same kind of "unceremonious" death so I don't think it was a "misogyny" thing as much as it was a pacing issue.

Blaine "being the hero" is messed up but it didn't REALLY happen that way. We saw absolutely no fallout from that. Peyton was understandably grateful that she had been saved but I won't call it messed up until someone ACTUALLY calls or treats Blaine as a hero.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 15, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i assume the blaine/boss plot line isn't anywhere near over yet, so im willing to wait that one out. and im cautiously optimistic that military contractor zombies will make for good tv. i'll keep watching the show, but i reserve the right to gripe about deaths of characters i like, dang it!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DolphinCop posted:

i assume the blaine/boss plot line isn't anywhere near over yet, so im willing to wait that one out. and im cautiously optimistic that military contractor zombies will make for good tv. i'll keep watching the show, but i reserve the right to gripe about deaths of characters i like, dang it!!!

I want to be clear, I'm sad Rita is dead too.

I think there's a difference between "Rita was a fun character and I'm upset she was killed off in a hurried fashion" - a statement I agree with - and "I'm upset Major just killed Rita with no remorse as if she was some kind of monster" - which is nuts because Rita was a total monster.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that could have made this finale better is if they had a bunch of Party Down castmembers catering the party.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The only thing that could have made this finale better is if they had a bunch of Party Down castmembers catering the party.

I just want Martin Starr on this show in some capacity and then I can die happy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ken Marino is a treasure and I hope he's an oft recurring character in Season 3.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That was a hell of a finale and yes I wish every show had Ken Marino in douche mode

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

So, I was rewatching the first episode on Netflix because I was curious as to when Ravi actually found out about Zombies when he was at the CDC. I figured that this new crop might predate the events of the show (and I'm still up in the air). Anyway, the first introduction we get to the weatherman is him ripping off a balaclava and saying, 'Here's Johnny!' in one of Liv's visions.

Soothing Vapors posted:

That was a hell of a finale and yes I wish every show had Ken Marino in douche mode

He was pretty awesome in Agent Carter, too.

Also, Clive is drinking a Max Rager when Liv goes to see him in the precinct for the first time. Also, "Cagney and Pasty".

This show was pretty goddamn great from Day 1.

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 16, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Huh, maybe I should rewatch the first season.

I actually thought Ravi just reasoned it out from the boat party victims, Liv's appearance/behavior, and the missing brains.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I do love how Blaine's business plan was written to be both brilliant (get all the rich and powerful people addicted to a drug only you control, take over the city!) and unbelievably stupid (the rich and powerful will do aaaaaanything to destroy someone who has them under their thumbs, up to and including a suicide mission). It's exactly the kind of plan a low-level drug dealer would come up with: just give everyone drugs and then they'll have to buy from me! :smuggo:

Blaine's thing is pretty much playing both sides while keeping his head down. If they started planning a suicide mission, he'd just find someone else (i.e. the feds) to leak selected info to.

Lycus posted:

Ken Marino is a treasure and I hope he's an oft recurring character in Season 3.

As far as I'm concerned he can dip his balls in any show on television. Let's get him on Agents of SHIELD, Supergirl, even Legends of Tomorrow. He doesn't even have to do anything, just show up and be Ken Marino (which is pretty much his entire career actually).

Not Arrow, though. That'd just be mean.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
100% forgot about the whole bit with Blaine having his dad tortured that episode ended on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope Blaine is faking amnesia because right now Anders is getting criminally underused. But if he's not, is he still a bad guy? Is he still responsible for the things he did?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. Call me a dick if you want but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of "amnesia" being a pass for serial blackmail, sex slavery, and mass murder.

I mean, the fucker was murdering homeless kids for profit. I'd probably want him in jail even if he was a vegetable.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know. Call me a dick if you want but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of "amnesia" being a pass for serial blackmail, sex slavery, and mass murder.

Prude.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I dislike Rita's death and hate Blaine with amnesia. Those are the only two things that stop this from being a perfect finale to me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Lycus posted:

"ga'baage"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FoxTerrier posted:

Was anyone else screaming at the TV, calling Liv a dumbfuck for hugging major and not GIVING HIM THE BRAINS? No? Just me? K.

No, I was thinking the same thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As much as I will miss Rita, her death does make sense as it happened. She was in full on zombie mode, hopped up on the brains of the man who's been loving with them and just tried to kill all of them so that added to her own hate of them probably would have made talking her down a bit difficult.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I hated how they just wrote off Drake's storyline. Makes me sad, the trend Liv has with her boyfriends turning into zombie and either dying or being close to death.

Rita's death? Meh. I hated the character and her father but their comeuppance was epic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't think every character in every show needs an epic storyline where they're explored to their full potential before getting killed off. It makes things too predictable. George R.R. Martin popularized killing characters in what appeared to be the middle of their storyline, and do you know what he's doing right now?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think every character in every show needs an epic storyline where they're explored to their full potential before getting killed off. It makes things too predictable. George R.R. Martin popularized killing characters in what appeared to be the middle of their storyline, and do you know what he's doing right now?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I know plenty of people who stopped reading the books precisely because they lost the ability to care about any of the characters. It's just too easy for random deaths to become plotline nihilism.

Also stone-cold, super-professional Clive secretly being a huge Game of Thrones nerd is one of my favorite pieces of backstory ever :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think every character in every show needs an epic storyline where they're explored to their full potential before getting killed off. It makes things too predictable.

That is true, but when it's just one character and the rest of them continue to have the usual protection that comes from being a central character, it feels off.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Easily one of the funniest little side bits in the show and I've only read one and half books (I never did finish book 2) and I've never watched the GoT series.

But I can relate because I was a big Wheel of Time book reader, although I never finished it either.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

TMMadman posted:

Easily one of the funniest little side bits in the show and I've only read one and half books (I never did finish book 2) and I've never watched the GoT series.

But I can relate because I was a big Wheel of Time book reader, although I never finished it either.

Even Robert Jordan decided to check out rather than finish that monstrosity. GRRM may be headed in the same direction.

Tiggum posted:

That is true, but when it's just one character and the rest of them continue to have the usual protection that comes from being a central character, it feels off.

It's really only the core cast (Liv, Major, Ravi, Blaine, Clive, possibly Peyton) that seem to have plot armor. Rita, Vaughn, musician guy, Drake, Chief, big zombie guy from the skate park, etc... are still ancillary characters that aren't really part of that core dynamic. Liv's batting 0-2 on zombie boyfriends at the moment. She should probably take the hint (or start dating Blaine).

Speaking of ancillary characters, we haven't seen Liv's mother or brother at all this season outside of the first episode where her brother basically tells her to piss off. I wonder if they make a return once the zombie thing is out of the bag, which is where I think the show may be headed.

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 16, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Liv's family were a huge drag so I'm okay with writing them off.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

Liv's family were a huge drag so I'm okay with writing them off.

Agreed, I hated them for episode one. But it is odd that there wasn't any real mention of them after that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

JT Smiley posted:

Agreed, I hated them for episode one. But it is odd that there wasn't any real mention of them after that.

Focus groups did their loving job for once.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
To be fair, Peyton wasn't exactly likable in the first few episodes either.
I found it a little odd how Liv's friends and family treat her in the first season. Nobody seems to have noticed that her skin and hair turned white over night, instead they just assume she was moping over all the murders that happened.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Oasx posted:

To be fair, Peyton wasn't exactly likable in the first few episodes either.
I found it a little odd how Liv's friends and family treat her in the first season. Nobody seems to have noticed that her skin and hair turned white over night, instead they just assume she was moping over all the murders that happened.

Peyton wasn't going anywhere, hot girls very rarely get instantly taken off a show. If people don't like their attitudes they change the character rather than dump em. :)

And I think Liv's family assuming she was in shock and dying her hair in a flip out moment after surviving a mass murder isn't that unrealistic.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Medullah posted:

And I think Liv's family assuming she was in shock and dying her hair in a flip out moment after surviving a mass murder isn't that unrealistic.

Yeah they pretty justifiably assume she's going through a PTSD induced goth phase, but they still acted like two months with limited support was a good timeframe for recovering from a mental illness and she's just being "mopey" for not going right back to being a hotshot heart surgeon.

That really didn't endear them to me.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

they still acted like two months with limited support was a good timeframe for recovering from a mental illness and she's just being "mopey" for not going right back to being a hotshot heart surgeon.

Like most families I know would act, unfortunately. :sigh:

(I always thought it was clear that they were meant to be pain-in-the-rear end characters so the narrative could focus on other things.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Combed Thunderclap posted:

(I always thought it was clear that they were meant to be pain-in-the-rear end characters so the narrative could focus on other things.)

Yeah, without them people would eventually be asking "where's Liv's family in all this?" It would be weird if they had never shown up at all. This way they are there in the background, available for kidnapping or zombie peril. Knowing her family a bit we know more about Liv: she had a normal childhood with a normal family, people who can be kinda judgemental jerks but are not totally abusive evil monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought the mom was a totally plausible "pushing waspy mom" who acted believably in the wake of her doctor daughter suddenly dramatically changing in personality and seemingly losing her motivation. Like, in general I though the whole Major/Peyton/Family response was understandable from their perspective. Liv had changed dramatically and wasn't talking or giving them any kind of answers so we just met at them at the point where they were getting kind of tired and fed up.

Its that basic TV problem. We met Liv at a time when her life was changing dramatically and we see it all from her perspective. So all those people from her old live seem like roadblocks and we have no real perspective of how it affects them or how bad Liv was BEFORE she started to solve crimes and regain some of her purpose in life.

I don't really miss Liv's family but its weird that they're never even mentioned in passing. But I guess Liv has had her hands full and with a new personality every week who knows what that does to your memories and feelings for people from your past.

• Locked thread