Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

D_Smart posted:

Don't do it. Serves no purpose.

You would deny me the unmasking?! The very reason for my existence?! You really are the monster they say you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

flyboi posted:

Really books related to CCNA or other networking certification will have this kind of information in it. I don't know of a good book off the top of my head as it's something I have picked up over the years through work. Possibly a book on wireshark as it's a very powerful tool and a lot of the capabilities are hidden well within the application.

I'd assume likely they didn't enable encryption to cut back on resource costs due to an increase in compute usage on Google's platform. Based off the interview of some guy had for a job there they're likely pinching as many pennies as possible on the infrastructure.

Crytek is all XML data so it's not surprising the network stack uses it as well. What is surprising is the lack of encryption and that there's 0 compression or binary translation at all which results in plaintext being dumped out. You'll notice that there's parts of the data that are binary as it's not 100% human readable.

Well, now we can understand where the 5 megs came from

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Out all the people instead of being a useless tease. Then they have to buy new accounts.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I don't get it... is this a scene from something horrific? Did Ben eat the entire buffet or something?

You are really better off not knowing

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ponzi posted:

I'd like to state for the record that, although I am from the UK:

1) I am not an employee of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
2) I have never been an employee of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
3) I am not an employee of any company contracted to CIG (or any of it's related companies)
4) I have never been an employee of any company contracted to CIG (or any of it's related companies)
5) I am not a volunteer acting on behalf of CIG (or any of the related companies), either with or without the knowledge of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
6) I am not a volunteer acting on behalf of any of the companies contracted to CIG (or any of it's related companies), either with or without the knowledge of any companies contracted to CIG, nor with or without the knowledge of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
7) I have never been a volunteer acting on behalf of CIG (or any of it's related companies), either with or without the knowledge of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
8) I have never been a volunteer acting on behalf of any of the companies contracted to CIG (or any of it's related companies), either with or without the knowledge of any companies contracted to CIG, nor with or without the knowledge of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
9) I am not, and have never been an investor of CIG (or any of it's related companies)
10) I am not, and never never been an investor of any of the companies contracted to CIG (or any of it's related companies)

I hope that covers any possible combination of weasly words a poster may use to obfuscate their answer when asked if they're a shill.

Edit - Extra declarations added.

Fantastic. Requesting permission to use.

cheers

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have my credit card ready to buy a new ship avatar for the outed. :retrogames: :shepspends:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
As penance Ben vowed that from now on the only pizza he'll be having are piccolinas.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sandi's red text will be "I've been outed as a worse actress than Ben Lesnick"

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

flyboi posted:

All game servers use UDP to communicate as TCP has far too much overhead and is much faster since there's no handshake syn/ack requirements.
That's generally true, but using UDP means the server/client must packetize its own communication AND compensate for missing packets in code since there is no automatic retransmission. Which I bet this code does not do. It's not even gzipped, which even HTTP servers do out of the box! (Unencrypted HTTP is usually gzipped in transit, if it's supported on both ends.) Sending plaintext XML (especially XML, which compresses really, really well) is an unbelievable waste of bandwidth.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Dear sir or madam,

Were it possible, I would be greatly in your debt if you could apply suction to my vagina.

Very truly you;rs,
tb

Stop nonvaginashaming. I don't get the option. I would have to request they deeply fellate my John Thomas.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

pubic void nullo posted:

That's generally true, but using UDP means the server/client must packetize its own communication AND compensate for missing packets in code since there is no automatic retransmission. Which I bet this code does not do. It's not even gzipped, which even HTTP servers do out of the box! (Unencrypted HTTP is usually gzipped in transit, if it's supported on both ends.) Sending plaintext XML (especially XML, which compresses really, really well) is an unbelievable waste of bandwidth.

Didn't even think about that. I don't want to imagine the horrors a tiny amount of packetloss will do to this realtime XML data.
Granted, if I remember correctly, CryEngine's XML is notorious for not passing validation, so maybe the client and server would both get really confused if they were fed a properly formatted file. :D

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tippis posted:

Didn't even think about that. I don't want to imagine the horrors a tiny amount of packetloss will do to this realtime XML data.
Granted, if I remember correctly, CryEngine's XML is notorious for not passing validation, so maybe the client would get really confused if it was fed a properly formatted file. :D

Imagine? Just watch pgabz videos.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TTerrible posted:

Imagine? Just watch pgabz videos.

Fair point.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

So Reddit, who attack Derek relentlessly, bringing up every quote he's ever made since the dawn of time if it suits their purpose, are defending Ben with the claim "what's past is past." Bullshit. You're defending Ben because you believe to do otherwise is to jeopardize your ability to fly fake spaceships in a video game. Full loving stop. Reddit will defend pedophilia for fake spaceships. Reddit will defend genocide for fake spaceships. Reddit will defend misogyny, human trafficking, murder, rape, arson, and jaywalking as long as it means they get fake spaceship jpegs. The jpegs are their alpha and omega. I for one eagerly anticipate the official day of Star Citizen's collapse, so those genetic abominations lose every hope they've ever had of playing this game. I can't believe how far down the rabbit hole this shitshow goes. Game of Thrones has absolutely nothing on this.

:five: :bravo: :five: :bravo:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Reddit thread cycle:

https://i.imgur.com/hLsTXo9.gifv

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jesus loving christ

gently caress off forever, ben

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Tippis posted:

Granted, if I remember correctly, CryEngine's XML is notorious for not passing validation, so maybe the client and server would both get really confused if they were fed a properly formatted file. :D
If that is true then it lowers my opinion of CryEngine even further. There is NO EXCUSE for writing your own XML library.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

jesus loving christ

gently caress off forever, ben

that was a goon photoshop

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

but if he DOES drop it, he can't pick it up back up because it's in the danger zone (the floor)

<archer> DAYNGUH ZOOOOoooOONE! </archer>

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Oh right, you're not in the private #smarties Discord channel, so you don't know.

I got the go-ahead. But I chose to refrain from doing it because it serves no purpose other than to "out" the wankers behind the alias and shutdown our ample supply of lols. So the plan is, like I do with MoMA, just post to the identified accounts as if they are known CIG shills/staff. Anyone who picks up on it, fine.

It's reverse-inverse-the-arse psycho-analytical warfare. They think we don't know. Then see posts in response to them as if we do. They can't figure it out either way; and keep supplying the lols.

Please, it is specifically because of this, that I created the private channel where a bunch of stuff will appear first, before here. Since they don't have access to that channel - and never will - they can't plan for any reveals (e.g. all the E.L.E stuff that's happening as I type this) because they saw it here.

Trust me, I got this.

ps: remember, they are more prevalent here because I'm here, and because this thread is the single source of everything about this poo poo-show. And lowtax paywalled it - which was brilliant imo.

So you are a liar, got called on your bluff, and have literally nothing to show for it. Good stuff!

The offer still stands for you to PM me the name.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
the great shill hunt of 2016

its me im the shill

please give me sweet backer cash for shitposting, tia croberts

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

http://voxday.blogspot.com/search?q=star+citizen

http://voxday.blogspot.com/search?q=derek+smart

I think I have links to the YT archives. Will dig them up. Basically, the topics covered are above.

What most people still try to ignore, is that Vox Day goes way back in the industry with Chris and a bunch of us from back in the day.

Rebel Moon or something wasn't it?

EDIT: And that was BEFORE noticing the last link was Wikipedia.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Samizdata posted:

<archer> DAYNGUH ZOOOOoooOONE! </archer>

also a good anime.

:smuggo:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

also a good anime.

:smuggo:

Wait a second. All the women on there ARE OF LEGAL AGE!

I'm calling ENTRAPMENT! IT'S A SHILL! GOOBS IS A SHILL!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Probably not a good idea to suggest it :ssh:

Won't have much effect since they're on Google Compute and they have protections for that already in place. If anything, it will just cause minor hiccups, but not the full effect of a DDOS

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I missed whatever funny event happened before Ben-ghazi. Something about Lando talking on a stream or something?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Guys I've done some research involving . . . well, nevermind that.

The Sandi account is. . . . D_Smart

Think about it. Think about who Sandi is and what she craves most in life.

She played us like a drat fiddle.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

pubic void nullo posted:

Yeah basically this. UDP is fine for speed, but at some point you have to deal with errors in some fashion at either client or server end at some point, and deal with encryption on top of that.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Paramemetic posted:

:five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

You would deny me the unmasking?! The very reason for my existence?! You really are the monster they say you are.

Trust me, it's for the greater good.

Plus, I believe the best time to "out" them, is when this poo poo-show crashes because THEN they are going to be trying to run interference. That's assuming they bother to come back and show their collective faces here.

I told them I was going to burn it all down.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

:vince:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm a pretty chill guy. It takes a lot to offend me. Ben Lesnick has actually managed to do it with his casual antisemitism.

And while I'm not easily offended, the Anti-Defamation League tends to be. Say hi to them for me, you loving bigot.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ragequit posted:

So you are a liar, got called on your bluff, and have literally nothing to show for it. Good stuff!

The offer still stands for you to PM me the name.

I'll PM you as soon as you get that tail light fixed. How about that?

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

D_Smart posted:

Trust me, it's for the greater good.

Plus, I believe the best time to "out" them, is when this poo poo-show crashes because THEN they are going to be trying to run interference. That's assuming they bother to come back and show their collective faces here.

I told them I was going to burn it all down.

Derek Smart, Keeper of Secrets.

http://thewritepractice.com/the-power-of-secrets/

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Samizdata posted:

Wait a second. All the women on there ARE OF LEGAL AGE!

I'm calling ENTRAPMENT! IT'S A SHILL! GOOBS IS A SHILL!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm a pretty chill guy. It takes a lot to offend me. Ben Lesnick has actually managed to do it with his casual antisemitism.

And while I'm not easily offended, the Anti-Defamation League tends to be. Say hi to them for me, you loving bigot.

:five:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AlmightyPants posted:

This proactive response to Lesnick's bigotry and creepiness of pretty much every kind and degree is what we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Toops posted:

The fact that their network entity communication isn't serialized nor TCP is loving mind blowingly awful.

They're basically making stateless rest calls like their game server is serving html. No wonder nothing works.

Hey German Crytek engineers.... GREAT JOB WITH THE NETCODE BUBS!!

I finally got the game to work and I can confirm the actual data in-game is all serialized however it looks like there's an initial handshake with the "cigservice" that it sends some xml initially. I don't have the patience nor care to dive further into the turd but it isn't encrypted so you could write a proxy to translate the data back for analysis.

It does seem however that Chris is full of poo poo about "5MB TO LOAD A CONNIE! REFACTOR IT BOYS!!!"

Total packets

Server packets

Client packets

If you look you'll see it averages ~90 pps total. Server-side averages ~50pps I can't get the actual data rate for some stupid reason but at most that would be 50kB/second of data. Unless a connie takes 100 seconds to spawn his line was complete bullshit. In this stream I logged in, spawned a ship, couldn't figure out how to fly it and blew it up instantly when I hit a wall. Great game would immerse again.

I don't have the time or patience to write an interface to the network stack but it is definitely serialized.

• Locked thread