Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's actually perfectly normal for people that they don't mourn a fictional character. Especially when the movie makes clear that he's not really dead.

Yeah ok it's not like I expect to weep openly, wailing and gnashing my teeth while building a funeral pyre out of seat cushions alongside my fellow viewers when a character dies. There's a whole range of emotions that a good film can bring about with a big climactic death scene.

Maybe not feeling much of anything at Superman's death is exactly what Snyder was going for. If that's the case then good for him, mission accomplished. In retrospect I can't say that wasn't foreshadowed by Jimmy Olsen's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Superman is my boy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Yeah ok it's not like I expect to weep openly, wailing and gnashing my teeth while building a funeral pyre out of seat cushions alongside my fellow viewers when a character dies. There's a whole range of emotions that a good film can bring about with a big climactic death scene.

Maybe not feeling much of anything at Superman's death is exactly what Snyder was going for. If that's the case then good for him, mission accomplished. In retrospect I can't say that wasn't foreshadowed by Jimmy Olsen's death.

Movies don't need to make people feel sad. All the "emotional" range they need is tension and release. Superman's death is cathartic, so it fulfills that purpose.

Reserve your sentimentality for real people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Walking Dead sucks, but people freak out over fictional death.

Like, people with steady jobs and kids and poo poo. Not just emotionally deprived nerds.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

The Walking Dead sucks, but people freak out over fictional death.

Like, people with steady jobs and kids and poo poo. Not just emotionally deprived nerds.

That is their problem.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was sad when Superman died because I empathized with Lois and I don't really think that's a problem.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, it's normal they do. Considering how much people lose their poo poo every time a character dies in The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

People take fictional death super seriously now.

If fiction is well constructed, it should be emotionally engaging. Narratives engage parts of the brain that non narrative stimuli does not.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
"So to cap off our two and a half hour Christ allegory, we'll of course end with the savior's sacrifice. What kind of mood do most people associate with the death of Jesus?"

"I dunno, Zack, detached ambivalence?"

"Perfect! Hey is there any way we could add a cartoony horn sound or maybe a slide whistle in there? No? Too much?"

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I was sad when Superman died because I empathized with Lois and I don't really think that's a problem.

That's how it's supposed to work. Unfortunately, I was pulled out of the narrative by that point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

"So to cap off our two and a half hour Christ allegory, we'll of course end with the savior's sacrifice. What kind of mood do most people associate with the death of Jesus?"

"Perfect! Hey is there any way we could add a cartoony horn sound or maybe a slide whistle in there? No? Too much?"

Detached ambivalence is actually the right way to react to the death of Jesus. He is just a man, and his death is both glorious yet disgraceful. Hence "detached ambivalence".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol if you cry at the Bible

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

It's good to know you don't just have a piss fetish.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Also the main characters in the film are Bruce Wayne and (though her role was truncated) Lois.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

computer parts posted:

It's good to know you don't just have a piss fetish.

Yeah I try to keep a diversified set of deviancies, you can only watch those R.Kelly tapes so many times before they start getting dull.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Lol if you cry at the Bible

I don't get why this would be a problem.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Cinema Discusso: the only film discussion place on the internet where you have to actively defend the idea that films might make you feel things. Holy Christ this is a very silly place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Cinema Discusso: the only film discussion place on the internet where you have to actively defend the idea that films might make you feel things.

No, it's defending the idea that films need to make you feel sad.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

:psyduck:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No, it's defending the idea that films need to make you feel sad.

That's really not what "reserve your sentimentality for real people" implies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"I know! It's the film's fault that I'm emotionally dead inside!"

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
"Haha look at this loving goon, experiencing emotions while watching Old Yeller. What is he in kindergarten?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

That's really not what "reserve your sentimentality for real people" implies.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I should correct myself.

Abandon sentimentality. Follow the ways of the Stoics, and armour yourself in self-control. Emotions are a distraction.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lazorexplosion posted:

Cinema Discusso: the only film discussion place on the internet where you have to actively defend the idea that films might make you feel things. Holy Christ this is a very silly place.

BravestOfTheLamps is not the "Mouth of Sauron" of the CineD hivemind if that makes you feel any better

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hmmm, thinking about it, I should correct myself.

Abandon sentimentality. Follow the ways of the Stoics, and armour yourself in self-control. Emotions are a distraction.

Why?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I had a big 'ol grin through the whole ending because that's a drat good funeral montage. The funeral montage is pretty much the highlight of the film, and perfectly expresses that idea that Superman only exists in death.

I've noticed, however, that no-one talks about it - because it's not an action or effects sequence. There's no convenient meme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I had a big 'ol grin through the whole ending because that's a drat good funeral montage. The funeral montage is pretty much the highlight of the film, and perfectly expresses that idea that Superman only exists in death.

I've noticed, however, that no-one talks about it - because it's not an action or effects sequence. There's no convenient meme.

Amusingly, the only discussion I've seen about it is that Snyder's an objectivist because of the lettering on the memorial.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

By becoming numb to normal human emotion, you can appreciate the artistic vision of Batman vs Superman I guess. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've noticed, however, that no-one talks about it - because it's not an action or effects sequence.

Of course. People complained that "titular fight" only lasted 5 minutes, ignoring that the entire 2 hours leading up was Bruce Wayne working on his plan and Clark trying to shut the Bat down (first through journalism, then through Superman's intervention). But there are people who think the "versus" only refers to the actual fisticuffs, and not the idealogical struggle between the two leads which happened throughout the entire movie.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Of course. People complained that "titular fight" only lasted 5 minutes, ignoring that the entire 2 hours leading up was Bruce Wayne working on his plan and Clark trying to shut the Bat down (first through journalism, then through Superman's intervention). But there are people who think the "versus" only refers to the actual fisticuffs, and not the idealogical struggle between the two leads which happened throughout the entire movie.

I'm curious, what ideological struggle would that be. (there isn't one)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

lazorexplosion posted:

By becoming numb to emotion, you can appreciate the artistic vision of Batman vs Superman I guess. :shrug:

I actually thought it was a pretty great movie so I'm trying to figure out where he's coming from with this stuff. I felt more genuine emotion from it than I do with a great many superhero movies.

I also really liked the funeral scene and thought the transition from gaudy Super Statue to the more metaphorical monument was great.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You guys arguing that the Capitol scene is good: I don't think it works, frankly. The reason it doesn't land is because it really is a subversion of the traditional take on the character in an important way. One of the classic Superman narrative beats is the moment when he finally decides and is capable of acting at his full power: when he throws off the Kryptonite chains or opens his shirt to reveal the classic "S" or steps out of the chamber with his powers restored or whatever.

Comic writers know this and that's why the bad ones do the whole red-eye "THIS ENDS NOW" Superman. They have internalized the "critical moment where Supes shows what he's really capable of" in a bad way.

The Capitol scene just totally doesn't do that. You're waiting for Superman to act - the anticipation is building - BLAMMO. The room explodes without Superman saying anything. That's the part that doesn't work - the total silence. The failure to act that subverts the character. He could have said 3 words and got interrupted and shut down by Finch and the scene would have played out better and still exactly fit into the theme of the movie.

The scene is a huge dramatic downbeat in the film and it needed to be softened up a bit. Reminds me of the tornado scene in Man of Steel: a scene that largely doesn't land because a couple of easily-fixable issues weren't attended to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You guys arguing that the Capitol scene is good: I don't think it works, frankly. The reason it doesn't land is because it really is a subversion of the traditional take on the character in an important way. One of the classic Superman narrative beats is the moment when he finally decides and is capable of acting at his full power: when he throws off the Kryptonite chains or opens his shirt to reveal the classic "S" or steps out of the chamber with his powers restored or whatever.

Comic writers know this and that's why the bad ones do the whole red-eye "THIS ENDS NOW" Superman. They have internalized the "critical moment where Supes shows what he's really capable of" in a bad way.

The Capitol scene just totally doesn't do that. You're waiting for Superman to act - the anticipation is building - BLAMMO. The room explodes without Superman saying anything. That's the part that doesn't work - the total silence. The failure to act that subverts the character. He could have said 3 words and got interrupted and shut down by Finch and the scene would have played out better and still exactly fit into the theme of the movie.

The scene is a huge dramatic downbeat in the film and it needed to be softened up a bit. Reminds me of the tornado scene in Man of Steel: a scene that largely doesn't land because a couple of easily-fixable issues weren't attended to.

This is a fair point, and maybe him giving a speech to those in the chamber would've been a bit of extra that was needed. The bomb going off is still necessary though, because it's the impetus for society to go from Superman as a divisive figure to a dangerous one, and their rage is personified in Bruce Wayne finally going and stealing the Kryptonite.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He doesn't even need to give a speech. He just needs to try to give a speech. Even "Thank you, Senator. I'm here today -" and getting interrupted would have softened the blow sufficiently and helped the scene connect with audiences without doing anything to the movie's themes and plot.

Unless I'm wrong, and there's some symbolism in Superman never talking to anyone but Lex, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Lois for the entire film.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lazorexplosion posted:

I'm curious, what ideological struggle would that be. (there isn't one)

Oh well gently caress I was going to give an explanation but then you answered your own question in the parenthesis there :jerkbag:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Unless I'm wrong, and there's some symbolism in Superman never talking to anyone but Lex, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Lois for the entire film.

It's merely to emphasize that he's a doer, not a sayer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Every time Superman tries to explain himself, it blows up in his face. This time, literally.

Also worth noting, Bruce Wayne lives in a glass house.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Every time Superman tries to explain himself, it blows up in his face. This time, literally.

Even as Clark Kent he's not just fawned over.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I view the bomb in the same way as the infamous Martha line: narrative cheats used to preempt the title characters from having to put forward any kind of philosophical argument on their stances.

You end up with a nearly 3 hour film about ideological struggle without much in the way of ideology. Or struggle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I view the bomb in the same way as the infamous Martha line: narrative cheats used to preempt the title characters from having to put forward any kind of philosophical argument on their stances.

You end up with a nearly 3 hour film about ideological struggle without much in the way of ideology. Or struggle.

If you think a film doesn't have ideology, it's because you believe that ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Courtroom diatribes is definitely not the way to do that.

• Locked thread