Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The standards for you and I don't apply if you have/had a successful footy career. It's hosed.

See: Wayne Carey, Campbell Brown, Dustin Martin et al

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So how long til I can fire up photoshop and start inserting him into screencaps from Breaking Bad without getting done for libel

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bigis posted:

I get that it's against Stevie J but even still...how is this not assault? Why don't dickholes get charged instead of jobs on Fox Footy.

Likely because if he asked for a jury trial in his indictment, three charges of assault and one charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against Stevie J, there is no way he would be convicted by a cross section of 12 people from Melbourne who were too dumb or unemployed to get out of jury duty.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2016

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spacman posted:

Likely because if he asked for a jury trial in his indictment, three charges of assault and one charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against Stevie J, there is no way he would be convicted by a cross section of 12 people from Melbourne who were too dumb or unemployed to get out of jury duty.

Some people are just too honest and wont shirk the system. I keep telling my sister that you can literally just ignore the letter and claim you never got it but NOPE

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

hiddenmovement posted:

So how long til I can fire up photoshop and start inserting him into screencaps from Breaking Bad without getting done for libel

I wouldn't worry about that. With the company he keeps if he takes offence you'll just end up dead in a ditch.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

Some people are just too honest and wont shirk the system. I keep telling my sister that you can literally just ignore the letter and claim you never got it but NOPE

That sort of advice cuts both ways though. My brother served on a jury that found a chap not guilty of intent sell/supply for being raided with just under a kilo of weed. Apparently, his wig put up quite a convincing defense revolving around his client being agorophobic, having an ounce a week habit and only leaving the house to purchase twice a year...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Under a kilo is a dealer amount?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

Under a kilo is a dealer amount?

It's like 30 ounces man... They will charge you intent sell/supply for that.

BTW happy 4:20

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 19, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah anything over 1 ounce is deemed suitable for a criminal conviction when it comes to Mary Jane.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Spacman posted:

It's like 30 ounces man....

Blazin :2bong: but really I have zero knowledge on the subject

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Lol who gives a poo poo about weed.

Id let loving Cheech and Chong walk if I was on jury duty and Willie Nelson was the defence.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spacman posted:

That sort of advice cuts both ways though. My brother served on a jury that found a chap not guilty of intent sell/supply for being raided with just under a kilo of weed. Apparently, his wig put up quite a convincing defense revolving around his client being agorophobic, having an ounce a week habit and only leaving the house to purchase twice a year...

This is turning up in season 4 of Rake fo sho

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Spacman posted:

It's like 30 ounces man... They will charge you intent sell/supply for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shCYA2J-De8

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah Collingwood traded their first pick away :laugh:

Good.

I guess they'll end up trading out one of their midfielders to get back into the pointy end of the draft

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Nutsngum posted:

Lol who gives a poo poo about weed.

Id let loving Cheech and Chong walk if I was on jury duty and Willie Nelson was the defence.

well queensland is currently putting through laws to reclassify weed on the same level as heroin sooo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spamman posted:

It was twelve down to nine and it was the biggest load of poo poo ever.

Edit: For context, Greg Williams got nine for strangling an umpire.

And then Greg Williams bitched and moaned to the Supreme Court because he's a loving crybaby who can't get the fact that he did something really loving wrong into his head. His complaint was it was going to cost him like 90 grand in match payments, and then Carlton spent nearly half a million on his case.

Joke's on him though, his general racist oval office-y-ness cost him a third Brownlow.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Memento posted:

And then Greg Williams bitched and moaned to the Supreme Court because he's a loving crybaby who can't get the fact that he did something really loving wrong into his head. His complaint was it was going to cost him like 90 grand in match payments, and then Carlton spent nearly half a million on his case.

Joke's on him though, his general racist oval office-y-ness cost him a third Brownlow.

Is there a story on this?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is there a story on this?

He one of the first players charged under the racial vilification rules in the AFL for calling Chris Lewis a black oval office, specifically, "get this black oval office off me".

He basically got away with it as well, under the Good Bloke Ordnance of 1980, whereby a man who is good at football can put his name to a public apology the club secretary wrote and get no penalty in return.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Why the gently caress does Melbourne keep calling nothing press conferences for its players? First the Hogan one during NAB cup, now the Watts today which I genuinely thought must be to announce a new contract but nope it was just "yeah things are good I like how we are going cheers"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why the gently caress does Melbourne keep calling nothing press conferences for its players? First the Hogan one during NAB cup, now the Watts today which I genuinely thought must be to announce a new contract but nope it was just "yeah things are good I like how we are going cheers"

They just want to make you happy, MUYB :3:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

When the typical fan has the intellect of a big footy poster it makes sense to churn out as much content as possible even if it's vacuous crap.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Memento posted:

He one of the first players charged under the racial vilification rules in the AFL for calling Chris Lewis a black oval office, specifically, "get this black oval office off me".

He basically got away with it as well, under the Good Bloke Ordnance of 1980, whereby a man who is good at football can put his name to a public apology the club secretary wrote and get no penalty in return.
That's a bit unfait. They have in house journos or PR people to write them now.

Solemn Sloth posted:

They're not press conferences, they're just media availabilities. Every club does them on the reg. It's pretty standard PR thing.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i actually miss the channel ten footy show that they used to do with sam lane and the panel of other idiots because the players would actually get to show a bit of personality when they came on it

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

i actually miss the channel ten footy show that they used to do with sam lane and the panel of other idiots because the players would actually get to show a bit of personality when they came on it

Before the Game? I didn't mind that one, it was a bit informal, didn't take itself too seriously and had a bit of fun. The others seem to be either taking it was too seriously or blokey bogan trash talk with no actual content

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thats the one. although it did do the unforgivable in introducing the world to strauchnie

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

thats the one. although it did do the unforgivable in introducing the world to strauchnie

He seems to have disappeared of late though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

snaeksikn posted:

thats the one. although it did do the unforgivable in introducing the world to Dave Hughes
An ever larger tragedy than Strauchnie

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

You Am I posted:

An ever larger tragedy than Strauchnie

Don't blame others for the sins of Rove

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

Don't blame others for the sins of Rove

Someone should put a big Fatwa on him

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/02-16/full-time-umpires-isn-t-the-answer-umps-coach#I5uAjhmWY2fJ8Y0I.97

quote:

Having full-time umpires isn’t going to be the answer to having a better officiated game, according to Hayden Kennedy.

The AFL umpires coach believes an extra half-day of personalised training during the week is more beneficial and would prefer his umpires weren’t thinking about umpiring all day, every day.

“I don’t think so, I think more part-time than full time would be really good,” said Kennedy on SEN Breakfast.

“My personal opinion is maybe a half day on a Tuesday or a Wednesday would be really good, so we could get stuck into some coaching, some training and some leadership and other developmental activities.

“I would hate the umpires to be thinking about umpiring 24-7, so I think if we have a little bit more time that would be the panacea that would be great.”

Sack all the umpires and start from scratch. They are clearly past the point of no return.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

If you're getting paid the big bucks to officiate at the highest grade then yeah im ok with you thinking about umpiring most of the time, much the same way I'm ok with mechanics thinking about cars most of the time and bankers thinking about finance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I dunno about a random mechanic, but umpires aren't some bloke changing oil at the Toyota dealership in this analogy; they're the Ferrari pit-crew. So yeah, I'd expect someone performing at that kind of level to be committed enough to their job to eat, breathe and sleep it during the season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If history has shown anything, it's the more you do a task, the worse you are at it

Source: my posting

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Part of me thinks they should increase the number of umpires on field, in addition to meaning you have better positioning for calls it would reduce the running required by each of them ideally to the point where you could get an umpire calling two games a round.

The downside to this would be that have more umpires on the field increases the inconsistency of interpretation within a single game which is arguably the biggest problem people have with umpiring today.

I feel like a lot of that could be averted by going with a fully professional umpiring program though.

Two umpires a round might work better when you develop more of a regular 4 day rounds, so the umpires who umpire Thursday night go again Saturday, Friday nights team go again Sunday, and you rotate between doing one or two games throughout the season.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I still think they should have a retired senior umpire up in the box to override bad calls. Just a quick 'yeah its the box here Razor, vision shows he got rid of it cleanly, ball up plz'

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

I still think they should have a retired senior umpire up in the box to override bad calls. Just a quick 'yeah its the box here Razor, vision shows he got rid of it cleanly, ball up plz'

This is the worst

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The boundary umpire has the easiest job in the world yet there are uncalled out of bounds almost every game.

Maybe we need about 8 of them instead of the current 4

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Put up a laser wall around the ground

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Periphery posted:

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/02-16/full-time-umpires-isn-t-the-answer-umps-coach#I5uAjhmWY2fJ8Y0I.97

Sack all the umpires and start from scratch. They are clearly past the point of no return.
I dunno, if you watched the Leicester-West Ham game on the weekend (basically the ref gave a crappy decision the Hammers' way, and then decided to do the even-up very late presumably because he didn't want to get lynched), you'd have to say lovely officiating is a universal. Only Collina was beyond reproach.

I believe their refs are still part-time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

I dunno, if you watched the Leicester-West Ham game on the weekend (basically the ref gave a crappy decision the Hammers' way, and then decided to do the even-up very late presumably because he didn't want to get lynched), you'd have to say lovely officiating is a universal. Only Collina was beyond reproach.

I believe their refs are still part-time too.

To be fair the EPL only brings in seventy trillion dollars a second, can't expect them to pay money for refs

• Locked thread