Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

My guess is that the man in the iron mask is the real Jay Garrick and he'll be a totally different actor. He was that world's flash, but Zolomon stole his speed, imprisoned him, and took his place. People couldn't tell the difference because not too many people have ever actually seen the Flash, and for the same dumb comic book reasons they can't tell Clark Kent is Superman. If they're fooled by a simple pair of glasses they'd be totally flabbergasted by some guy shaving his beard and cutting his hair.

Yeah but then why did Zolomon say "you wouldn't believe me if I told you?" when asked who it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

My guess is that the man in the iron mask is the real Jay Garrick and he'll be a totally different actor. He was that world's flash, but Zolomon stole his speed, imprisoned him, and took his place. People couldn't tell the difference because not too many people have ever actually seen the Flash, and for the same dumb comic book reasons they can't tell Clark Kent is Superman. If they're fooled by a simple pair of glasses they'd be totally flabbergasted by some guy shaving his beard and cutting his hair.

But Hunter can't steal speed without a super scientist

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eddain posted:

Yeah but then why did Zolomon say "you wouldn't believe me if I told you?" when asked who it was.

"That... actually makes sense! I don't believe it!"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I think that we're all missing the most important thing this episode told us: That a Jay shouted for Cisco to "Keep coming!" as a yawning portal was being forced open by Cisco's fist.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Eddain posted:

It's probably because the writers have no idea who it is either.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
We literally saw Zoom getting his speed from the explosion, so no, there's no original Flash Garrick.

I'm starting to think the guys who said his personality was split were on to something. When Zoom said "you can't contain the darkness inside" or whatever, all I could think about was Kingdom Hearts and the whole deal with the Heartless. Basically, the guy in the iron mask is Zolomon's good side, and once Zoom is gone by the end of the season, he'll take the role of the heroic, comics version of Jay Garrick.

The only flaw in this theory is that I have no idea where he got the name Jay Garrick from.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I still can't believe that they've killed tons of people acting under duress this season but won't lie to or double cross the serial killer.

Maybe next episode we find out it's a fake out and the "speed juice" was actually toxic, or full of tracking nanobots, or just velocity 9 with food dye in it, that will wear off? They can salvage some of this and make it at least, maybe, 20% less stupid, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I suppose it's possible Zolomon has a split personality, one that repressed the memory of his dad killing his mom, and the other that took it and became a serial killer. Maybe the good version is unaware of the evil one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I suppose it's possible Zolomon has a split personality, one that repressed the memory of his dad killing his mom, and the other that took it and became a serial killer. Maybe the good version is unaware of the evil one.

My guess is his split personality is an actual physical split where Zoom is Hunter and Jay is the ideal of his father being a good man before he went all loony and killed the mother.

Either that or mask dude is a Jay Garrick from yet another earth.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Earth-3 is traditionally the "reverse Earth" in DC's cosmology, where heroes are villains and vice versa. I wouldn't put it past them to use that for something.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I've decided to become an evil speedster so I can go back in time and prevent this season from being written.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Whizbang posted:

I've decided to become an evil speedster so I can go back in time and prevent this season from being written.

I think you misunderstand the concept of evil. But then so does the show.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Season 3 will be about mayor Snart saving us from the menace of Barry Allen.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Fuego Fish posted:

Earth-3 is traditionally the "reverse Earth" in DC's cosmology, where heroes are villains and vice versa. I wouldn't put it past them to use that for something.

What if we're already seeing Earth-3? (Unless you were implying that). Cisco is evil, Caitlyn and Ronnie are evil, Zoom is evil, Iris and her dad switched places, and Barry is Clark Kent-ish. Harrison is a little different due to not being impersonated, but still, a good/evil flip.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I have a pretty strong suspicion that the guy in the iron mask is Zoloman's dad.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
It's the personification of a decent conclusion to season 2.

The writers, thus, keep it chained and masked, clad in filthy rags.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe it's Barry. He'll get captured by Zoom later because he regenerates speed, sent back in time to keep Zoom from dying in the past, and imprisoned and regularly drained by the helmet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The entirety of season 3 is then POV shots from inside the cell.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So how will Barry gain back his speed? My guess is that he'll have to run, like, really fast.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hermetic posted:

It's the personification of a decent conclusion to season 2.

The writers, thus, keep it chained and masked, clad in filthy rags.

Not really sure why, but I got a laugh out of this.

Also, I'm conflicted, guys. I know I should stop watching. I KNOW! By now I've pretty much given up any hope of a sensible ending, and I think I'm just watching to see how much batshit insanity they can pile on top of what we've already got.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barry's powers being represented by something the size of a pill bottle is kind of funny.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krad posted:

So how will Barry gain back his speed? My guess is that he'll have to run, like, really fast.

He just needs to believe in himself.

(Training, saying prayers and eating vitamins may also be involved, brother.)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Flatscan posted:

It's probably because the writers have no idea who it is either.

So what you're saying is that it's Laurel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rurea posted:

I have a pretty strong suspicion that the guy in the iron mask is Zoloman's dad.

They said he killed himself when he killed Zoloman's mom.

I'm betting the alter ego split theory (less likely now since we know he's a mass murderer) or it's E-2 Wally that got Speedforce abilities too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they literally have Zoom vibrate himself into 2 people I might have to forgive the stupidity of making him Jay.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

They said he killed himself when he killed Zoloman's mom.

Huh? When?

I just double-checked, Wells says "When Hunter was 11, his father killed his mother, right in front of him. Father sent to prison, Hunter grew up in the foster care system."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thexerox123 posted:

Huh? When?

I just double-checked, Wells says "When Hunter was 11, his father killed his mother, right in front of him. Father sent to prison, Hunter grew up in the foster care system."

Oh weird, I thought it said later that both parents died. Maybe they did, but his father died in prison.

Either way, Zoom having his dad doesn't really impact anyone except Zoom, so it'd be a bit pointless.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

10 Beers posted:

Not really sure why, but I got a laugh out of this.

Also, I'm conflicted, guys. I know I should stop watching. I KNOW! By now I've pretty much given up any hope of a sensible ending, and I think I'm just watching to see how much batshit insanity they can pile on top of what we've already got.

Why stop? As soon as time travel and it's assorted logic holes entered the plot last season I wanted to see how pants on head retarded this show can get, and it's going swimmingly well.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Goreld posted:

What if we're already seeing Earth-3? (Unless you were implying that). Cisco is evil, Caitlyn and Ronnie are evil, Zoom is evil, Iris and her dad switched places, and Barry is Clark Kent-ish. Harrison is a little different due to not being impersonated, but still, a good/evil flip.

Little of column A, little of column B - or Earth-A and Earth-B in this case, perhaps. Earth-2 as the show portrays it seems to be this weird mix of the original Earth-2 and the "Antimatter Universe" Earth-2 from post-crisis comics before the multiverse came back. So it's old-timey in many ways, but also everyone's got a doppleganger, which wasn't a thing in the old Earth-2.

Earth-3 in the comics is ruled by the Crime Syndicate of Amerika (yes it's spelled that way, sometimes) who are basically Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. except a bunch of fuckin' jerks. Superman's counterpart, Ultraman, was formerly an adult human astronaut, as opposed to a baby kryptonian one, and he gets his powers from kryptonite. There's a loving godawful-yet-unintentionally-hilarious scene in one of the more recent comics where Ultraman crushes up a bunch of it and snorts it like cocaine.

So yeah, this show could always be worse :v:

The reason I bring it up is because the speedster on the CSA was called Johnny Quick, and he got his speed (and was addicted to) a speed-enhancing drug. Now, looking over it, they probably mined that character's whole deal to use for Zoom, but I was mostly mentioning it because it'd provide the writers with yet another evil speedster who could dupe Barry into trusting him and then gently caress him over.

(There's also Savitar but I doubt he'd show up.)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So after Mark Waid's tantrum, Berlanti tweeted to reassure everyone that Jay Garrick isn't only an alter ego for a bad guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the Supergirl episode Barry said he had been to an Earth where everyone is evil, which now that we know he's not referring to an Earth 3 or anything is dumb.

Cisco, Caitlin and Ronnie were evil, but more people Barry knew were still good. Barry himself, Iris, Joe, Barry's parents, Eddie, (and even though Barry doesn't know him, and he's a good guy with an asterisk) Robert Queen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

So after Mark Waid's tantrum, Berlanti tweeted to reassure everyone that Jay Garrick isn't only an alter ego for a bad guy.

Mark Waid should throw tantrums about this show more often, maybe it will force them to actually tell a coherent story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The man in the mask will be John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen from the original Flash series.

This would be so balls out amazing that it's disappointing that it won't happen. It'd be loving awesome if he showed up.

Rhyno posted:

Mark Waid should throw tantrums about this show more often, maybe it will force them to actually tell a coherent story.

Mark Waid's super power is bullshit meter. Every few months he pops up to call people out on bullshit. It's rather endearing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Mark Waid's super power is bullshit meter. Every few months he pops up to call people out on bullshit. It's rather endearing.

Sometimes he goes too far though. His NOT MY SUPERMAN rant about Man of STeel was incredibly childish.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rhyno posted:

Sometimes he goes too far though. His NOT MY SUPERMAN rant about Man of STeel was incredibly childish.

I dunno a lot of people felt the same way about MOS. It wasn't like a unpopular opinion. I like it when he gets into with other comic writers.

It was just like way to much though on the whole MOS

Trying to find that hilarious quote he had about Frank Miller.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dude has burned a ton of bridges by pulling this kind of poo poo though. Even here you might say he's "calling them out on their bullshit" but more accurately he's whining about a story in progress that we haven't seen the conclusion to. What is annoying is that he is a writer himself so he should be supportive of other writers and not immediately piss all over them. Imagine if Twitter was around during some of his old monthly comics (I'm sure someone would have gotten pissed at points in the Return of Barry Allen storyline, almost definitely when he decided to murder off the Rogues because he just didn't like them).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

In the Supergirl episode Barry said he had been to an Earth where everyone is evil, which now that we know he's not referring to an Earth 3 or anything is dumb.

Cisco, Caitlin and Ronnie were evil, but more people Barry knew were still good. Barry himself, Iris, Joe, Barry's parents, Eddie, (and even though Barry doesn't know him, and he's a good guy with an asterisk) Robert Queen.
He was just replying to a tangent in a funny way while talking to his new friends. How is it dumb?

Barry certainly didn't say he had been to an Earth where everyone is evil. If you're going to try to ding him on accuracy at least get the quote right.
:goonsay:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Dude has burned a ton of bridges by pulling this kind of poo poo though. Even here you might say he's "calling them out on their bullshit" but more accurately he's whining about a story in progress that we haven't seen the conclusion to. What is annoying is that he is a writer himself so he should be supportive of other writers and not immediately piss all over them. Imagine if Twitter was around during some of his old monthly comics (I'm sure someone would have gotten pissed at points in the Return of Barry Allen storyline, almost definitely when he decided to murder off the Rogues because he just didn't like them).

That's a good point. Waid may be one of the best Flash writers ever but he absolutely hated most of the character's past and did everything he could to destroy the memory of Barry Allen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The show right now is in the perfect Self-Aware Clone Saga bakery where things are only going to get more insane as they fly further and further by the seat of their pants.

Other people are getting out, but not me. I'm running towards the explosions because the aftermath is going to be glorious.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Anti-Life

E: I have no idea where bakery came from but it's sure as hell staying there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Under the mask is another mask. The Helmet of Fate!

• Locked thread