Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, it's extremely unlikely that the Spiders will go after Kurapika because its impossible that any such attempt, even including all of the Spiders working together at the same time, doesn't end up with at least a small handful of dead Spiders.

I really doubt any of the Spiders wants to be one of the dead Spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Wild Horses posted:

Hisoka will do the thing where he gets really busted up, but he's totally ok with that and then he'll OUTSKILL you out of nowhere.

It's gonna be some next level poo poo

Edit: it's just that if he does one mistake, he'll lose the fight, lose his nen and likely die

I wanna say that the finisher will be either:

Hisoka somehow manages to break the end of the needle and then uses Texture Surprise to make it look like it's normal (without Chrollo noticing, but that sounds like hollow writing considering how powerful he's supposed to be). Then he let's Chrollo "stick" him, and just one shot's him while his guard is down, thinking that Hisoka was under control and has assuredly killed himself.

Or

Hisoka manages to get Bungee gum on the needle and then on Chrollo, and just snaps it in. Then he just has to beat a hulking Chrollo. But since he won't be using his stolen Nen abilities in Autopilot, even though he's "stronger" in autopilot he won't be as much as a threat since Nen synergies is totally his thing. Now most likely Hisoka has no idea about the autopilot mode, so what'll probably happen is he's going to stick Chrollo, think he can just waltz up to him for the kill since no one is giving orders, and he takes a bunch of damage from an autoattack.

However that could also be a route for having double death draw. Hisoka takes mortal damage from autoChrollo, then finishes him off on principle just before succumbing to the wound.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, it's extremely unlikely that the Spiders will go after Kurapika because its impossible that any such attempt, even including all of the Spiders working together at the same time, doesn't end up with at least a small handful of dead Spiders.

they don't care and thats the entire point of the spiders. pakunoda betrayed the spider by considering chrollo more important than the spider

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hisoka and Chrollo are two of the trickiest assholes in a comic chockablock with tricky assholes, I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them bites it here.

I'm honestly more concerned for the safety of the audience than either of the combatants.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

NecroMonster posted:

I think Nobunaga would be willing to do it solo, especially if his reasoning was getting revenge for Uvogin.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah, but we ain't seen hide nor hair of Nobunaga in ages. He may have well already tried it. In which case he'd be real loving dead.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

This chapter confirms that Togashi is a goon. He looked at the poll and just to test his mettle picked the least popular one to revisit out of nowhere.

Mods, please post the 5 people that voted Heavens Arena. One of them is that sick son of a bitch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hisoka wasn't an option so its a flawed poll

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

heavens arena was awesome it's just that it has really god damned stiff competition what with everything else

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Heavens Arena is weird because you think it's going to be some standard-rear end shonen BS, even introducing the fake magic power system to the protagonists, but there are like 4 fights total and then they just leave. Turns out it was actually just a way to ease people into the concept of Nen, and it does that rather well. Shows you the basics, the different classes, properties of each, the negative effects of fighting a nen-user while untrained, various uses at the basic and advanced levels, as well as how it can be super strong when used correctly and attuned to your personality (Hisoka) and how you can squander your own potential if you don't do it right (Kastro). It's a good introduction, to be followed up with poo poo getting very real shortly afterward in Yorknew.

Heavens Arena is basically where Togashi said "gently caress you I'm not just making another shonen punchcomic, I already made Yu Yu Hakusho and it was great. MOVING ON."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The joke with Killua and Gon turning down the floor master tournament is hilarious too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

it seems extremely unlikely that kurapica would know if his nen was removed and we've never seen that before this fight

Kurapika said outright, back in Greed Island, that he'd know if his nen were removed, when Killua contacted him before they found out Hisoka was using Chrollo's name and that's why it was in their books.

e X posted:

Eh, I disagree. Hisoka has always been pretty mysterious and what we saw of him was basically just a very small section of his life that happened to intersect with main story. Neither the Hunter's Exam, Heaven's Arena or the Ryodan were really something that was about him, they were all just means to an end, none of them were actually things he did on a regular basis. Same is true for his interests Gon. Sure, he saw him as a potential target, but it's not like he actively stalked him. He stumbled into them by accident a couple of times.

That... Doesn't really counter anything I said. Hisoka has his own thing, sure, but it's never been the story's focus. He's always just been the weird dude who shows up to kill people, variably help or hinder the protagonists, and get an erection over children. His life story doesn't matter to any of the plots of the series, and his dying here wouldn't abort any lingering plotlines the way Chrollo's conceivably could. Gon punched him back, Kurapika's business with him is over, and he left the Troupe, so, outside of revenge from the last group there (which could happen in the next chapter or two) everything he's connected to has already wrapped up.

Though, actually, I had an idea for how both could make it out of this alive. If Chrollo gets Hisoka with one of those pins at some point, then he could force him to just walk out of there with him. It'd be a somewhat ironic fate for him, too; given his massive ego and how sure he is of his own strength and superiority, being reduced to someone's puppet would both be especially shameful and would leave the possibility of him eventually being freed, or at least making another appearance when the Troupe meets the main characters again. Though if/when Chrollo gave Shalnark's ability back, that might free him, though in that case they'd definitely have either locked up or killed Hisoka first so I suppose that's not a major concern with that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You made it sound as if Hisoka killing Chrollo would somehow cut him off from the story, since his only other connection was Gon. My point is that Hisoka's place in the narrative hasn't changed and wouldn't change even if he would kill Chrollo. We know nothing about him except that he seeks strong fighters, so he can still can wander into the boat arc other arc doing just that. He doesn't really needed a narrative connection beyond that. Like, if this chapters would instead have been about him being revealed as one of the fighters in the boat, it would have worked just fine.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 21, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not what I'm saying at all. He'd still have exactly the same role if he stuck around, yes, and would presumably keep showing up if he survives here; I never said anything to the contrary. The thing is, he also doesn't have any plots riding on his existence or any real narrative protection; he's always just been the guy who keeps showing up, more or less. People were talking about how he's the more likely one to survive, but if anyone here has plot armor it's Chrollo, not Hisoka.

Not that that matters much since this is HXH and all; I was bringing all that up mostly in response to the certainty some people have that Hisoka's going to win this. I can see this going either way, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The spiders have no reason to go after Kurapika personally. Thanks to Pakunoda, they know that he is strongest when fighting them. So, the obvious solution is to hire assassins. They aren't dumb, and they backed off before when they found out how many of them were gonna die if they kept at it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Dope chapter.

Tonfa posted:

If Chrollo loses because he's explaining all his poo poo I will be mad about animes.

Togashi is usually better than that though.
Considering the whole basis of Chrollo's power is "Steal people's abilities when they explain them to me," I wouldn't be surprised to learn one of the conditions he's saddled himself with is "If I'm using more than one ability I must explain my secondary power."

Interestingly, this also caps off another conversation we had recently about how tricky it is or isn't to modify your nen later.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hisoka can't die because everyone is cheering for him

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I don't entirely buy that either Chrollo or Hisoka are going to die here, they both have too much narrative baggage to be simply offed here. I could see Chrollo trying to steal Hisoka's ability, to give Hisoka and Gon a parrallel line of trying to get their powers back, but at the same time Hisoka is way too clever to fall for all the stjupid crap that's needed for Chrollo to successfully steal an ability.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I don't entirely buy that either Chrollo or Hisoka are going to die here, they both have too much narrative baggage to be simply offed here. I could see Chrollo trying to steal Hisoka's ability, to give Hisoka and Gon a parrallel line of trying to get their powers back, but at the same time Hisoka is way too clever to fall for all the stjupid crap that's needed for Chrollo to successfully steal an ability.

Spoilers: Chrollo does manage to steal Bungee Gum, tries to use it against Hisoka, and then Hisoka defeats him with nothing but Texture Surprise.

Edit: Actually that could work better than I thought when I was making that joke; Chrollo doesn't know about Texture Surprise, so he could lure Hisoka in to touch the book somehow, steal the power, and then discover all the book's pages are blank or wrong or something because Hisoka used Texture Surprise on it and is thrown off/unable to summon the power he wants and gets killed. (I doubt this will actually happen, I just wanted to write this out because after making that joke I realized that Texture Surprise actually could be very useful here.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 22, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

While I doubt either of them will actually get killed at this juncture, Chrollo's technically already had his big emotional confrontation with Kurapika so if anyone's going to die my money's on him.

I do hope they reveal what happened to the chain around his heart, however.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

While I doubt either of them will actually get killed at this juncture, Chrollo's technically already had his big emotional confrontation with Kurapika so if anyone's going to die my money's on him.

Yeah, that's something I wrote earlier; while the Spider plot could return to prominence, Kurapika has already beaten Chrollo once. It's hard to say where things will go from here, really. Though killing off Chrollo would be a kind of funny way for Togashi to say "we've moved on from the Spiders already, stop asking when Kurapika's going to kill them".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

"I got a transplant. You forgot that the phantom troupe is obscenely rich."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Abengane removed it using his ability.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, that's something I wrote earlier; while the Spider plot could return to prominence, Kurapika has already beaten Chrollo once. It's hard to say where things will go from here, really. Though killing off Chrollo would be a kind of funny way for Togashi to say "we've moved on from the Spiders already, stop asking when Kurapika's going to kill them".
There's probably another confrontation coming between the two, but I doubt it'll be like most people imagine. Like you said, we already know what any one Spider verses Kurapika looks like, and now Kurapika's got goons and connections and people of his own.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Abengane removed it using his ability.
Well yeah, but presumably that would've entailed him getting saddled with an enormous nen beast.

Someone earlier said maybe Abengane got stuck with it but I dunno.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

There's probably another confrontation coming between the two, but I doubt it'll be like most people imagine. Like you said, we already know what any one Spider verses Kurapika looks like, and now Kurapika's got goons and connections and people of his own.
Well yeah, but presumably that would've entailed him getting saddled with an enormous nen beast.

Abengane is always the one saddled with the Nen Beast. Hina a fellow Nen Exorcist takes on the penalty when she removes nen. Abengane is the same.

NecroMonster posted:

We have no proof of that.

Hina and the fact that Chrollo does not have a huge worm thing hanging off him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 22, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Abengane is always the one saddled with the Nen Beast.

We have no proof of that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, it's hard to predict what the fight would be like; capable as they are, the Phantom Troupe is kind of small compared to what we've been dealing with as of late, so it'd have to be either something really clever or weird. Which, given the whole thing with the succession and whatnot, could be an opportunity for that sort of thing, but who knows. The boat's already pretty crowded with the Zodiacs and Dark Continent preparation, Beyond, Pariston and Ging and such, Kurapika and co., the princes, and all that, so it's not like it needs the Troupe to make it even more complicated of a situation.

And yeah, I suggested that Abengane might be stuck with it (we've only seen him use his power on himself, so we don't know if the beast is supposed to go to whoever gets the nen exorcised or it sticks with Abengane regardless). My other suggestion was Chrollo secretly maintaining the Owl's power as well or something to shrink the beast; it'd be dependent on him lying in his explanation to Hisoka and having an even more complicated power than he's already demonstrated, but those aren't impossible (hell, it'd be kind of funny for someone to just outright lie during the usual anime/manga explaining-their-powers thing). It's all just speculation at this point, though; Chrollo's return like this really came out of absolutely nowhere.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

We've only seen the effects of Abegane removing nen from himself.

And everyones nen is different, using that other exorcist as a point of comparison doesn't work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, it's hard to predict what the fight would be like; capable as they are, the Phantom Troupe is kind of small compared to what we've been dealing with as of late, so it'd have to be either something really clever or weird. Which, given the whole thing with the succession and whatnot, could be an opportunity for that sort of thing, but who knows. The boat's already pretty crowded with the Zodiacs and Dark Continent preparation, Beyond, Pariston and Ging and such, Kurapika and co., the princes, and all that, so it's not like it needs the Troupe to make it even more complicated of a situation.
The fight going on right now aside, I don't want the Spiders to show up in this arc.

They were cool in Yorknew, they were fine in Greed Island, they bored me during the Chimera Ant arc. They've been everwhere lately. Give 'em a rest.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Spiders would need a pretty major organizational shakeup at this point for them to become interesting again.

eheheheheh

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

The Spiders would need a pretty major organizational shakeup at this point for them to become interesting again.

eheheheheh

Chrollo is going to beat Hisoka, announce his retirement from crime to go hunt down his comrades killers(silvia), and then offer the leader position to Hisoka.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kild posted:

What kind of thief gives back poo poo

While I doubt Chrollo's ability is merciful enough to go out of its to include a way to simply return borrowed abilities, I also wouldn't be surprised if he has a "restriction" along the lines of "if the original skill holder manages to touch my book they steal their skill back" which is normally a challenge for him but can also be used to return an ability if he consents. A lot of the best restrictions can be twisted into perks with a tiny bit of creativity, which is sort of the point. IE: Shizuku can't vacuum up living things, but that also allows her to search for and identify living things (survivors, etc) by trying to suck up a large area.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 22, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bad Seafood posted:

The fight going on right now aside, I don't want the Spiders to show up in this arc.

They were cool in Yorknew, they were fine in Greed Island, they bored me during the Chimera Ant arc. They've been everwhere lately. Give 'em a rest.

Yeah, they were that mysterious, incredible powerful crime organization. Having them around that much really takes away from it. It would be kinda cool to have one member around, since they aren't working together constantly, but as a group they are way to powerful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Now that the scale of people the protagonists are working with has shifted up, I don't think we can call them too powerful for the story. I'd imagine many if not most of the Zodiacs are at least on par with them (and both groups seem to include some non-combat specialists anyway), not to mention Ging and Pariston. And obviously Netero and the King from the previous arc. And the adult Zoldicks. The Spiders are top tier, but they're not the end-all be-all of strength, and anyone who even considers challenging the Dark Continent is definitely on the same playing field. Who knows what Beyond is capable of?

So I don't think adding them to this arc would really matter, in terms of their strength. It would definitely inflate the cast a lot for no reason whatsoever though.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Chrollo's excuse for being here is that Hisoka would hound him forever otherwise. On the surface, that's plausible and hell, Chrollo has a murderboner on par with our favorite clown. But his base instincts are more "kill a lot of people and loot all of their stuff" than having grand entertaining fights. Once he could use nen again, it stands to reason that he could contact his fellow Spiders again and if that's the case why didn't he order them to turn the cat and mouse game around and hunt Hisoka instead? It's not in him to play fair, and yet he's agreed to fight Hisoka at Heaven's Arena, the best place in the world for two nen users to have a fair and square duel. He certainly didn't bother with any of this showmanship when he faced Zeno and Silva.

With that and the line about style mattering the most in this fight, I think Chrollo's intention is to amuse Hisoka. His new skills, the explanation of his abilities, all of it just to give the clown the time of his life. Chrollo might just be calculating and batshit enough to cook up a plan to bring him back into the fold, or have another thing going on that just killing a psychopath that has his sights on him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I can only imagine the reason Chrollo is explaining all his abilities, something he never did before, is because the bookmark requires him to do it now. Given the power of it I imagine that's exactly the sort of restriction he'd need to be using it like that.

I can't figure out why he's being so chatty otherwise, guy barely speaks and when he does it's not to dump info about his abilities to the guy he's currently trying to kill unless he's already killed them.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Beyond has got to be o ne of the strongest. He's netero's kid and a stubborn bastard

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Chrollo is excessively explaining his powers, which is Shonen shorthand for death.

The remaining Phantom Troupe members will be the 4th Prince's bodyguards, and by the time the boat makes it to the Dark Continent everyone on board will be dead due to the ensuing battle on the ocean. Only Gon will still be alive due to re-learning Nen (and probably Killua if he is still travelling with Alluka and doesn't get roped in to the expedition).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Joining a trip to the dark continent seems very uncharacteristic of the spiders. They are thieves and murderers, not explorers. I could see maybe one or two going because of their personal interests, but there is no way they would go as a group. Now, swiping anything the expedition managed to bring back would be another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Joining a trip to the dark continent seems very uncharacteristic of the spiders. They are thieves and murderers, not explorers. I could see maybe one or two going because of their personal interests, but there is no way they would go as a group. Now, swiping anything the expedition managed to bring back would be another story.

They explored the hell outta Greed Island.