Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

artsy fartsy posted:

Let's leave this at the airport

:golfclap: This gave me a good chuckle. I wish our consultant had given this answer to our client's petty nonsense yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I enjoy engaging my co-workers in managerial nonsense chat to see how long we can keep it up.
Lots of great phrases.

Run this up the flag-pole
Vector
Roger
Kick the tires
You need to leverage yourself
Onboarding
Influx
Bandwidth

If I ever run out, I just dig through Outlook's junk folder and review emails from management to find more.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

First time for me--though I hear (and use) bandwidth on a regular basis. Why do we do this to ourselves? What happened to tabling or shelving something (that was bad enough)--now it has to go all the way out into the parking lot?

My personal theory is that some words or phrases start getting a negative connotation associated with them, so management jumps on any new jargon that means the same thing.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
http://www.robietherobot.com/buzzword.htm

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See PhD chat just makes me glad I got to finish up doing a bachelors and then realised "I hate listening to old people fight about wether it's magazines or books that caused the French revolution" so I got out!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I thought the French Revolution was caused by the royals not being in touch with the common man?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every time I meet professors during office hours it amazes me how tiny it is. Some of them are even sharing tiny offices with another professor. You have a PhD and they stick you in these tiny little sweatboxes?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I thought the French Revolution was caused by the royals not being in touch with the common man?

Eh sort of, there are a whole lot of overlapping factors that lead into it. I just realised that I didn't want to hear academics arguing about pointless poo poo for the rest of my working life.

Blackbird Betty
Mar 27, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I enjoy engaging my co-workers in managerial nonsense chat to see how long we can keep it up.
Lots of great phrases.

Vector
Roger
Kick the tires
Onboarding
Influx
Bandwidth

If I ever run out, I just dig through Outlook's junk folder and review emails from management to find more.

I heard a good one today - "storydoing". As in, distinct from "storytelling". Aargh.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I will never get tired of referring to people as 'a resource' to remind me we live in a corporate dystopia. As in "We will need a resource for this meeting" instead of "We will need a programmer for this meeting."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MikeCrotch posted:

I will never get tired of referring to people as 'a resource' to remind me we live in a corporate dystopia. As in "We will need a resource for this meeting" instead of "We will need a programmer for this meeting."

Walmart calls them Assets. Asset Protection is also supposed to protect the employees but from my experience AP gives less than zero shits about their employees seeing as how I was ordered into an open top dumpster to push down scrap metal because the regional manager didn't "like how you can see the metal sticking out the top"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Vector
Roger
Kick the tires
Onboarding
Influx
Bandwidth

I do this to co-workers, except I look up lingo for MMOs they play. How's your DPS? What's your guild strat? How're the raids going? Have you finished it yet? Who is your tanks?

They know I know nothing about MMOs so it's tricky to keep up a convincing act. I recommend it.

MikeCrotch posted:

This one is really upsetting. "I can't allocate resources for that job" - meaning me. I am the resource you refer to. I have a job title, division and, failing that, both a first and last name that you know, Mr. Manager.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Sorry to detract from Academia Chat, but I heard this gem yesterday:

"Let's parking lot this for later."

The god damned parking lot. Why does it have to be some kind of idiotic metaphor that a kindergarten teacher would use? Why can't you call it "List of poo poo to discuss in the near future"?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lots of great phrases.

Vector
Roger
Kick the tires
Onboarding
Influx
Bandwidth

You forgot the best/worst one: "synergize"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never hear synergize anymore. I bet because it's been made fun of so much.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lots of great phrases.

Vector
Roger
Kick the tires
Onboarding
Influx
Bandwidth

Are you sure they're you're co-workers and not "Team Members"?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Team workers is so pre-millenium paradigm talk.
It's most efficient to adopt a forward facing radical approach in the creation of cohesive object oriented 'Tissues' of each member is a cell, and each department an organ, making up the grand disruptive lifeform that is the company.

(and of which management is the appendix)

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

A former employer changed their "Human Resources" department to "Human Capital."

This conjures images in my head of cattle standing in a line in the chute at a slaughterhouse. The only department with the word human in it is the only one completely devoid of anything resembling humanity.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Josef bugman posted:

Eh sort of, there are a whole lot of overlapping factors that lead into it. I just realised that I didn't want to hear academics arguing about pointless poo poo for the rest of my working life.

Same. That's why I quit theology studies after the bachelor's degree. After a while, academical arguments start sounding like the adults from Peanuts.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lots of great phrases.

Please do the needful and revert.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

I do this to co-workers, except I look up lingo for MMOs they play. How's your DPS? What's your guild strat? How're the raids going? Have you finished it yet? Who is your tanks?

They know I know nothing about MMOs so it's tricky to keep up a convincing act. I recommend it.

This one is really upsetting. "I can't allocate resources for that job" - meaning me. I am the resource you refer to. I have a job title, division and, failing that, both a first and last name that you know, Mr. Manager.

Hah, I used to enjoy using the DFA screen on awkward customers when I worked in car rental.

"Oh, you want a free upgrade/particular make of car? Let me check the DFA screen to see our availability"

*clicks mouse a few times*

"Sorry, we have nothing available right now."

The DFA screen is the Does gently caress All screen. Can be used in virtually any job!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Jargon talk makes me think of Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" where the main character and his boss are both really awkward about ending conversations, so they regularly will sit and throw inter-office catchphrases at each other for like, the same length of time as the actual conversation. Stuff like "Keep that nose to the grindstone!" and "That's why we make the big bucks!" that are supposed to substitute "alright, see ya!"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The one I really hate is big retail chains like Target referring to customers as "guests". gently caress off, I'm paying money, I'm a customer. This pretense of hospitality in corporate retail, especially at Red Walmart, is just loving insulting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

garfield hentai posted:

Trap sprung and all that but I don't think most (any) snobby metalheads would use Slipknot or Killswitch as examples of "real metal"

As was said, these guys are dumb shits that don't know anything about actual music and buy metal based on how violent and brutal the album cover and song titles look. They'd look down on Mastadon but buy every Immortal album that comes out.

Here's a good one

"Everyone can learn to code, I don't know why so many people have trouble finding jobs".

Because everyone has the same skills and coding is so simple.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

twistedmentat posted:

They'd look down on Mastadon but buy every Immortal album that comes out.

I think you have that backwards, friend.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Every band is simultaneously the worst and the best.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Except the ones I like. They are exclusively the best. And bands I don't like are the worst.

Fact.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I heard from more than one person that if you put your weed in an envelope in your car, the cops can't search it because that would be opening your mail.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

radiatinglines posted:

I heard from more than one person that if you put your weed in an envelope in your car, the cops can't search it because that would be opening your mail.

Drug dog signal is PC, I'm pretty sure.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

Drug dog signal is PC, I'm pretty sure.

I don't think they thought about it that hard, it was just a rumor or whatever you call it going around.

As an aside drug dogs are only 50% accurate lol

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

BuddyChrist posted:

A former employer changed their "Human Resources" department to "Human Capital."

Human Resources sounds like you occasionally have to burn a person in order to power the steam engine beneath corporate headquarters. Human Capital is just loving horrifying.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

I don't think they thought about it that hard, it was just a rumor or whatever you call it going around.

As an aside drug dogs are only 50% accurate lol

That's because drug dogs will signal whenever their handler wants them to signal.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Len posted:

Walmart calls them Assets. Asset Protection is also supposed to protect the employees but from my experience AP gives less than zero shits about their employees seeing as how I was ordered into an open top dumpster to push down scrap metal because the regional manager didn't "like how you can see the metal sticking out the top"

Assets in Walmart-speak only applies to the merchandise, that's why it's "asset protection" rather than "security." AP isn't supposed to protect the employees, that's "for management and cops to do". We weren't even supposed to investigate if something got stolen out of an employee car, because that's not what we were paid to do and because it didn't negatively affect Walmart's earnings. The entire job pertains to protecting Walmart's money. They even have a preferred quota of catches every month-- any business can legally punish a shoplifter with a bill, so that charge goes on top of whatever punishment they get for shoplifting. Usually each first-time lifter is charged $200-600, and since the merchandise would also have been recovered, that's pure free money for Walmart. My god I'm glad I got out of that shithole.

E: editing for clarity.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Apr 22, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Human capital sounds like something the mob takes from you when you can't pay your protection money.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

RareAcumen posted:

Human capital sounds like something the mob takes from you when you can't pay your protection money.

5 years ago: Human Resources.
Now: Human Capital.
5 years from now: Human Chattel.
10 years from now: Human Cattle.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

5 years ago: Human Resources.
Now: Human Capital.
5 years from now: Human Chattel.
10 years from now: Human Cattle.

15 years: Organic Capital.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Post poste posted:

15 years: Organic Capital.

20 years: Usable Proteins

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

38,000 years from now- Blood for the Blood God. Skulls for the Skull Throne.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Scathach posted:

Assets in Walmart-speak only applies to the merchandise, that's why it's "asset protection" rather than "security." AP isn't supposed to protect the employees, that's "for management and cops to do". We weren't even supposed to investigate if something got stolen out of an employee car, because that's not what we were paid to do and because it didn't negatively affect Walmart's earnings. The entire job pertains to protecting Walmart's money. They even have a preferred quota of catches every month-- any business can legally punish a shoplifter with a bill, so that charge goes on top of whatever punishment they get for shoplifting. Usually each first-time lifter is charged $200-600, and since the merchandise would also have been recovered, that's pure free money for Walmart. My god I'm glad I got out of that shithole.

E: editing for clarity.

That isn't the speech the ap woman gave us during the remodel she swore her job was to look out for us too and it was obvious she gave no shits because the concept of giving the outside team water during the 100 degree days was insane to her. There were perfectly good drinking fountains inside.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Josef bugman posted:

Human Resources sounds like you occasionally have to burn a person in order to power the steam engine beneath corporate headquarters. Human Capital is just loving horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I just started work in a design studio, and there are several people who use corporate jargon regularly. They're also obsessed with time and efficiency, but keep meticulous logs of everything. Working in the arts and being poor was supposed to be the price I payed not to have to deal with nonsense, dehumanizing workplaces.

• Locked thread