Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!

ratbert90 posted:

That's awesome!

Unifi manager also has this on their app as well. It works really well.

I found it in this article

http://www.itnews.com/article/30566...rm=ITnews_Daily

there are a few good tools there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Entertaining myself here, but just noticed something hilarious. A DBA friend sent me 4 emails yesterday, each one was like, hey I'm troubleshooting that thing we were working on, can you run this? Okay that didn't work, how about run this? Ahh that didn't do it, can you stop that service? Okay I finished what I was doing, restart it.

I wasn't even at work yesterday and didn't get those emails til right now, you'd think my man would have gotten suspicious when he received absolutely no reply to any of those emails. Oh I love you guy, I love you so much, thank you for the laugh.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CoreSite posted:

This is a notification that a CoreSite Representative has received the below package.

CoreSite Package Tracking #: Redacted
Customer: Redacted, Inc
Site: 900 N. Alameda
Received By: Some Redacted Dude
Shipping Method: UPS Ground
Shipping Tracking #: 1ZY...
Shipper: AMAZON
Description: 1 MEDIUM SMASHED BOX

Thanks?

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!
anyone know what the device that he uses to read the old drive in this video is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGb5AOwp44

the big gold thing when he talks about backing up the data.

Please don't give me an answer like "external hdd reader"... lol

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Inspector_666 posted:

Today the mobile dev team was talking about designing for accessibility, which segued into how annoying it would be to program as a blind person.

In my country there's a fairly large bank which has a blind CIO. If I recall correctly the guy learned how to program because he wanted a deeper level of understanding of what his employees do.

After that he made the company switch to an engineering/devops culture, cut out a bunch of middle management and his company is now one of the better large companies to work for in IT. It definitely helps them attracting good employees as far as I can tell.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jaegerx posted:

Hangops.slack.com

Channels for all your devops needs. There's even a Vancouver channel for the Canuck that posts in this thread.

How do I get in on this goodness?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CrazyLittle posted:

How do I get in on this goodness?

https://signup.hangops.com/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Description: 1 MEDIUM SMASHED BOX

CoreSite posted:

This is a notification that a CoreSite Representative has received the below package.

Shipper: AMAZON
Description: 1 LARGE FLAT BOX

I feel they need to be more specific now, is it flat or smashed?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They're not mutually exclusive

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like to think that it started as a cubic box, and is now a pancake.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
New sysadmin started on Monday, and somehow the week was super chill and all the training I wanted to conduct, happened. Even better: new guy is fitting in superbly, and very technically adept.
Now, I'm not sure if I'll be trying to :yotj: or not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Alfajor posted:

New sysadmin started on Monday, and somehow the week was super chill and all the training I wanted to conduct, happened. Even better: new guy is fitting in superbly, and very technically adept.
Now, I'm not sure if I'll be trying to :yotj: or not.

This seems to good to be true. Either you are in the matrix or he's going to quit with no reason next week.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Auditors in any field tend to be hired based on their ability to follow a checklist as closely as possible, IME. Just because it doesn't make sense, doesn't mean it's not on their form, and that's what's really important.

It's one of the reasons I got out of consulting. I was good at PCI audits because I already did information security and sysadmin work, so I knew what I was talking about, unlike the 98% of them with business degrees and C grades.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

a dynamic iptables manipulation daemon, written in Python, and backed by ZooKeeper :psyboom:
Update: we're not getting bought by Facebook and I'm finding myself halfway into writing a global traffic routing platform using Golang and Consul.

Batshit crazy is the new normal, I guess.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Update: we're not getting bought

My condolences.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
:yotj:

It was actually in March, but I left a very large consulting firm that recently changed its name, due to being massively underpaid for doing pentesting work and writing most of the code for a tool we came to heavily rely on to do client work. That and they promoted a 23 year old to supervisor over me that has less actual total work experience in life than I have had at that job.

So now I work in the financial space making about 40% more a year, plus bonuses, and I basically have nothing but time to work on side projects while I'm at work.

Downside is that I actually have to come into the office every day, when I was a consultant I worked from home pantless all the time.

But the money tho...

:woop:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Ditto!

I actually took a $1000/year hit to get this job. Goodbye professional services where I wear a suit to crawl under some assholes desk all day. Hello software company where I wear jeans and think about automation all day.

So hurrah for both of us :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

My condolences.
JUST YOU WAIT :argh:

:sparkles:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This basically sums up my experience where I currently work.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Swink posted:

Ditto!

I actually took a $1000/year hit to get this job. Goodbye professional services where I wear a suit to crawl under some assholes desk all day. Hello software company where I wear jeans and think about automation all day.

So hurrah for both of us :)

Hell yes I never want to leave this type of field.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A question for anyone who has filled out an E-QIP Federal security clearance form before: In the employment history page there is a section that asks for "Supervisors street address (if different than job location)" I don't quite understand this part. Is it literally asking me for my bosses home address?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Charliegrs posted:

A question for anyone who has filled out an E-QIP Federal security clearance form before: In the employment history page there is a section that asks for "Supervisors street address (if different than job location)" I don't quite understand this part. Is it literally asking me for my bosses home address?

I haven't filled out one of those, but it looks like it's asking the location of your boss if your boss doesn't work at your office or if you work from home.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I haven't filled out one of those, but it looks like it's asking the location of your boss if your boss doesn't work at your office or if you work from home.

I think you might be right because theres a checkbox above that section that says "supervisor information same as employer" Although Im worried that they might mean if its a place where the supervisor works is also where the supervisor lives. Like people who work from home? Damnit feds, can't you just word things in a way that people can understand. Yeah yeah I know, its the feds of course not.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Charliegrs posted:

I think you might be right because theres a checkbox above that section that says "supervisor information same as employer" Although Im worried that they might mean if its a place where the supervisor works is also where the supervisor lives. Like people who work from home? Damnit feds, can't you just word things in a way that people can understand. Yeah yeah I know, its the feds of course not.

It's only relevant if your supervisor's business address is separate from your own (i.e. you work at a satellite office and your boss works at the main office in another city).

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
M

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yes I never want to leave this type of field.

So much stuff to learn holy hell. I am replying to your latest PM , I've just been taking a break from forums (and life) while I get settled in.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Swink posted:

M

So much stuff to learn holy hell. I am replying to your latest PM , I've just been taking a break from forums (and life) while I get settled in.

Yeah man no problem take your time.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I work in Telecom, basically baby sitting the servers that keep the cell sites running for a real large geographical region of the US in a datacenter-type setting.

I'm on call for the entire month of April.

I got a call on Sunday from a manager saying "Hey, the fire alarm is going off, it says it discharged the clean agent, and the fire department is on their way. You need to get there now.
So I get there and meet the FD at the front door - we check the entire building with their thermal camera, verify that the clean agent didn't discharge, and that nothings actually on fire, but the fire alarm absolutely refuses to shut up, and we can't figure it out. I called building management to emergency-dispatch me a fire alarm guy to get it fixed. I walked back through the server room to the LAN/WAN room where the smoke detector went off and notice it's getting hot. Took a look at the HVAC management system and noticed that the fire system has shut down ALL of the HVAC's in the building. My server room is ~80 degrees, which is real real bad since there's no colo for this stuff.

After screwing with the fire system for what seemed like forever, I managed to shut the fire alarm system up just enough to get it to let the HVAC kick back on. By this time it's right at 88 degrees, but thankfully we over-built the cooling system so it cooled off relatively quickly.

The issue? When the HVAC maintenance people came through last week, they left a temperature sensor controller on the roof uncovered, it rained, shorted, and caused the system to think it was negative 276 degrees outside, which kicked on the heater in the server room (?), which had apparently never been ran before, causing some smoke, and setting the whole thing off.

Anyways that's my story about how maintenance people almost shut down my entire data center by cooking it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not excusing them since they just left it open, but external electronics suck. The weatherproofing gaskets never get replaced as often as they need to and the temperature fluctuations wreak havoc on the electronics. I worked at a Walmart that had to have a WAP replaced twice in a year because it was outside in someplace where temperatures regularly got down to 0. I hope after that they migrated it across the wall into the building, but I wouldn't bet on it.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not excusing them since they just left it open, but external electronics suck. The weatherproofing gaskets never get replaced as often as they need to and the temperature fluctuations wreak havoc on the electronics. I worked at a Walmart that had to have a WAP replaced twice in a year because it was outside in someplace where temperatures regularly got down to 0. I hope after that they migrated it across the wall into the building, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Yeah, I agree. Kinda confused why we have a heater piped directly into the server room though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

invision posted:

I work in Telecom, basically baby sitting the servers that keep the cell sites running for a real large geographical region of the US in a datacenter-type setting.

I'm on call for the entire month of April.

I got a call on Sunday from a manager saying "Hey, the fire alarm is going off, it says it discharged the clean agent, and the fire department is on their way. You need to get there now.
So I get there and meet the FD at the front door - we check the entire building with their thermal camera, verify that the clean agent didn't discharge, and that nothings actually on fire, but the fire alarm absolutely refuses to shut up, and we can't figure it out. I called building management to emergency-dispatch me a fire alarm guy to get it fixed. I walked back through the server room to the LAN/WAN room where the smoke detector went off and notice it's getting hot. Took a look at the HVAC management system and noticed that the fire system has shut down ALL of the HVAC's in the building. My server room is ~80 degrees, which is real real bad since there's no colo for this stuff.

After screwing with the fire system for what seemed like forever, I managed to shut the fire alarm system up just enough to get it to let the HVAC kick back on. By this time it's right at 88 degrees, but thankfully we over-built the cooling system so it cooled off relatively quickly.

The issue? When the HVAC maintenance people came through last week, they left a temperature sensor controller on the roof uncovered, it rained, shorted, and caused the system to think it was negative 276 degrees outside, which kicked on the heater in the server room (?), which had apparently never been ran before, causing some smoke, and setting the whole thing off.

Anyways that's my story about how maintenance people almost shut down my entire data center by cooking it.

About 70% of cloud adoption is driven by an entirely justified loathing of datacenter HVAC poo poo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

It's just customer support for a TV stations streaming service, and not even full time. That's what you get for being an overpaid computer janitor for 6 years, getting complacent, not developing your skills and then getting kicked out into a crashed job market.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Jesus christ! That's great work on your part, but man that was headache after headache after headache.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

invision posted:

Yeah, I agree. Kinda confused why we have a heater piped directly into the server room though.

Well what if it really was -276 in there, Mr Smart Guy? What then??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What would be the best way to transfer a server from old hard drives to new fancy ones?

Old is SATA 500Gig drives connected to a Dell Poweredge R620 in a RAID10 setup.

The drives are being replaced with SAS 1TB drives. I would like to make this as painless as possible.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ratbert90 posted:

What would be the best way to transfer a server from old hard drives to new fancy ones?

The drives are being replaced with SAS 1TB drives. I would like to make this as painless as possible.

Can you get both sets of drives online at the same time on the same computer?

What OS is the server running?

A block by block copy from the old drives to the new drives will work, might have to futz with the partitioning afterwards to get all the new space usable but shouldn't be much of a problem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isn't LVM really good for painlessly migrating data? Just add new drives, tell LVM to move the data, then remove the old drives?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't LVM really good for painlessly migrating data? Just add new drives, tell LVM to move the data, then remove the old drives?

That is one of the things it is usually good at. I have had some situations where the machine ended up hung during a pvmove but it caused no problems other than the hang and need to reboot.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

ratbert90 posted:

Normally I'd say swap them out disk-by-disk but you can't expand a RAID10 with PERC. You need to stand up a new array, which if you have all bays occupied means you'll be dd'ing off to temporary storage and dd'ing it back.

RFC2324 posted:

Not if you're booting from the array that needs replacing. While it's possible that they have a separate array for the boot data, it's more likely that they've partitioned the RAID10 into a boot partition and an LVM PV. Doing that with minimal downtime would require having enough drive bays open to stand up the new array alongside and dd over your boot sector and boot partition, followed by rebooting onto the new array, then making a new PV and migrating the VG onto it. You might get hosed by your bootloader or fstab though for having duplicate UUIDs on your old and new boot partition depending on how it's being referenced.

IMO you're better off dd'ing the entire RAID10 onto temporary storage, pulling the old drives, making a new array and dumping the image back onto it. If it's Windows then this is the only option short of a reinstall. If the copy gets hosed up, stick the old drives back in and you're back to square one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Can you get both sets of drives online at the same time on the same computer?

What OS is the server running?

A block by block copy from the old drives to the new drives will work, might have to futz with the partitioning afterwards to get all the new space usable but shouldn't be much of a problem.

It's running CentOS7. I might have to just take down the server and do a dd on the drives one by one?

edit*

I like the idea of DD'ing each drive to a remote mount, so long as I shut down all services on the server first that should work great!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 25, 2016