Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Len posted:

That isn't the speech the ap woman gave us during the remodel she swore her job was to look out for us too and it was obvious she gave no shits because the concept of giving the outside team water during the 100 degree days was insane to her. There were perfectly good drinking fountains inside.

Dude, all they care about is money for Walmart. Sorry :( I honestly hated it after a year, it was all "catch as many people as possible and get us that sweet money, no of course you can't use the cameras to see who stole that little girl's tablet, it's not Walmart property!" Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Scathach posted:

Dude, all they care about is money for Walmart. Sorry :( I honestly hated it after a year, it was all "catch as many people as possible and get us that sweet money, no of course you can't use the cameras to see who stole that little girl's tablet, it's not Walmart property!" Never again.

Oh I'm well aware of that. The AP lady was just an all around awful person at the store I worked at.

One time a shoplifter pushed a zone manager on his way out of the store, another customer literally drug him back into the building and she didn't want to waste her time going to figure out wtf went on. Apparently sitting in her office was just more important than dealing with that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Choco1980 posted:

If anything, the smart people then know how to make the crazy poo poo much much cooler. I don't know if he'll be back this year, but at last year's Penguicon, there was a guy who gave a lecture entitled "DIY Mad Science", which I had assumed would be "fun at home science projects", maybe something I could do with my kid when he came for the summer. Nope. He was all about exactly the sort of jerryrigged weapons of mass chaos like you describe above. His crowning display was taking a hand-crank seed spreader and a super soaker to make a dry fuel flamethrower.

Was it Zoz? Kinda crazy add-ish guy with a mohawk? He was on my friends pub crawl trivia team for a while, that dude is great: https://youtu.be/-bpX8YvNg6Y

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Walmart sucks.

In other news, "embryo adoption." While this guy has his heart in the right place, embryo adoption just seems stupid as poo poo to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...black-triplets/

E: also just ran across a "wool is murder and so is keeping hermit crabs as pets" PeTA bullshit site again. What the gently caress, maybe if you're worried about animals go after people that are actually, you know, hurting animals?

Scathach has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Apr 23, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Was it Zoz? Kinda crazy add-ish guy with a mohawk? He was on my friends pub crawl trivia team for a while, that dude is great: https://youtu.be/-bpX8YvNg6Y

Nah, it's a guy named Ivan Owen. Here's a video from last year, with bonus of my goony rear end sitting in the front in brown with the far too big beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xPgb8lBbio

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Human Resources sounds like you occasionally have to burn a person in order to power the steam engine beneath corporate headquarters. Human Capital is just loving horrifying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNaaogT8fs

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Tracula posted:

Are you sure they're you're co-workers and not "Team Members"?

Not team members because we get matrixed around the organization to best leverage our talents with other divisions' assets.

gently caress

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah "team members" is kinda a Target thing. (Target is also a lovely, lovely place to work. Really even worse than Walmart and they pay less.)

Man I'm glad I now work at a place where everyone is referred to as "the other dudes that work here."

Scathach has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Apr 23, 2016

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Scathach posted:

E: also just ran across a "wool is murder and so is keeping hermit crabs as pets" PeTA bullshit site again. What the gently caress, maybe if you're worried about animals go after people that are actually, you know, hurting animals?

I guess they don't realize that wool is renewable and sustainable, as it grows constantly and must be sheared--ie, cut off the sheep--twice a year. The sheep is unharmed, except for a couple of nicks. A good shearer can shear a sheep in under 2 minutes.

There was a woman on another site who thought you had to kill birds to get feathers. She didn't know they molt.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
PETA put out a propaganda poster showing a bloodied, beaten sheep as what they look like after shearing. It's not that they don't know, it's that they view lying as ethically acceptable to attain a greater ideological victory.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...f6accb728bb9beb

That kind of treatment would piss a lot of farmers royally off because that sheep would have to be killed. Even the ones who don't give a gently caress about their livestock will be angry at the lost revenue of multiple years of shearing - but those tend to be the minority. Most non-industrial farmers in these parts have a fondness for their livestock, even if that doesn't stop them from eating them or selling them, because they spend all day tending to them and are often there when they're born.

Loomer has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Apr 23, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PETA is a unique and special brand of terrible. Still not sure how they manage it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHRDh0TdTkE

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's a side effect of being so far up their own rear end that they've come back out their mouth and gone right back up their own rear end a second and possibly even a third time.

An ouroboros of assholes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Scathach posted:

Yeah "team members" is kinda a Target thing. (Target is also a lovely, lovely place to work. Really even worse than Walmart and they pay less.)

Man I'm glad I now work at a place where everyone is referred to as "the other dudes that work here."

Wait, really? My fiancee has worked at Target for like five years and thinks it's about as good as retail gets, she gets decent pay, and they're not dicks when she wants vacation time or something.

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Apr 23, 2016

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Practical Demon posted:

I just started work in a design studio, and there are several people who use corporate jargon regularly. They're also obsessed with time and efficiency, but keep meticulous logs of everything. Working in the arts and being poor was supposed to be the price I payed not to have to deal with nonsense, dehumanizing workplaces.

It really depends on the place (I've been a freelance artworker for the last 15 years). First job I had, in-house for a watch & clock company, was full of middle management who literally had no idea how to talk to anybody about design, but all the bullshit bingo phrases made them sound important to both themselves and their superiors. Got out of that hellhole and since worked in & around top 10 Global Design Agencies, single person set-ups, and smaller independents, and the only people that talk like that are Client facing Strategy, who are nothing to do with me anyway. All the briefs I get are straight talking/bullshit free thankfully.

Although my current employer are a 'Brand Activation' Agency, and I've no idea what that means. YMMV being design rather than the technical side though- 95% of design that brief me are sound, although you get the odd unique snowflake who can't accept her pretty flower design is gonna get cut short for a wall of Pharmaceutical ingredient mandatories on the label.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait, really? My fiancee has worked at Target for like five years and thinks it's about as good as retail gets, she gets decent pay, and they're not dicks when she wants vacation time or something.

Give us a state.

And salary if you're comfortable divulging that much about your personal finances.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I worked there for four years, had perfect reviews every year, was in charge of a team and training, and left only making $8.00/hr. It could have been the two I worked at though (Arizona), but it seems like they just really undervalue and overwork their employees.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I won't give real details but she's in Montana and is well above $12/h with way fewer responsibilities than that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I will give Target credit since they're very LGBT friendly and fairly progressive from everything I know. Seeing angry bigots bitch about them catering to "dem faggots and trannys! :freep:" is definitely a joy.

Edit: I forgot the exact details but wasn't there a sheep somewhere that went missing for two years and it was literally a massive mangey ball of knotted wool? I think they got like 70+ pounds of it off of the poor create in the end.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Apr 24, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tracula posted:

Target... fairly progressive from everything I know.

Lol. Here's my thread entry.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tracula posted:

I will give Target credit since they're very LGBT friendly and fairly progressive from everything I know. Seeing angry bigots bitch about them catering to "dem faggots and trannys! :freep:" is definitely a joy.

Edit: I forgot the exact details but wasn't there a sheep somewhere that went missing for two years and it was literally a massive mangey ball of knotted wool? I think they got like 70+ pounds of it off of the poor create in the end.

Yep, Shrek.

http://www.earthporm.com/shrek-sheep-escaped-shearing-6-years/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mister Adequate posted:

I won't give real details but she's in Montana and is well above $12/h with way fewer responsibilities than that.

I'd hazard a guess this is residual from the oil boom? I remember visiting my folks and seeing a giant banner over K-Mart advertising $15/hr. The McDonald's was offering the same pay, but was forced to be drive-thru only for a while because they couldn't keep employees. Oil pays really loving well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

That's all I was looking for. :) Now we've got some context.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

They took the 'For girls/boys' header off their toy section or something like that and I think that's what the outrage is about.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Loomer posted:

PETA put out a propaganda poster showing a bloodied, beaten sheep as what they look like after shearing. It's not that they don't know, it's that they view lying as ethically acceptable to attain a greater ideological victory.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...f6accb728bb9beb

That kind of treatment would piss a lot of farmers royally off because that sheep would have to be killed. Even the ones who don't give a gently caress about their livestock will be angry at the lost revenue of multiple years of shearing - but those tend to be the minority. Most non-industrial farmers in these parts have a fondness for their livestock, even if that doesn't stop them from eating them or selling them, because they spend all day tending to them and are often there when they're born.

This crap drives me insane. Farmers love their animals. The videos are clearly from a place that needs to be shut down. But that's only one place. Who hasn't worked at a lovely business? Just because one gas station abuses their employees, should all gas stations be closed? Why would you hurt an animal that produces your revenue? Using one operation to define all is ridiculous. Just because one place mistreats their animals, it doesn't mean all do. I grew up as a farmer and have been to many cattle ranches and I've never seen a mistreated animal in my life from Wyoming to North Dakota. All I've ever seen are fat, happy, cow-calf or herd. I even heard programs on Wyoming radio stations talking about how to make sure you're keeping happy cattle.

Remember, a scared animal is hard to manage, full of adrenaline, and makes your job more difficult. They also have poor quality meat. The only shearing operation I've seen was so calm and smooth that the sheep didn't even need to be restrained. They were used to it and happy and they'd dance in the sun after done. No one want's a stressed animal.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've always gotten the impression that PETA is trying their damnedest to portray themselves as a well organized global organisation, but when you actually take a closer look it's just a bunch of hippies and bored middle-class women that don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Oh I'm fully willing to admit I can be wrong. I had just seen something about Target wanting to have gender neutral bathrooms and the usual right-wing sorts were gnashing their teeth over it. In the past I could have sworn they had done some decently progressive stuff as well but as I said, could totally be off.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tracula posted:

Oh I'm fully willing to admit I can be wrong. I had just seen something about Target wanting to have gender neutral bathrooms and the usual right-wing sorts were gnashing their teeth over it. In the past I could have sworn they had done some decently progressive stuff as well but as I said, could totally be off.
Yeah, in the midst of the shitstorm over exclusionary state laws being voted in, Target spoke up to say that their fitting rooms and restrooms have been, are, and will continue to be inclusive places where transgender customers and employees are welcome to use whichever facility best fits their gender identity. Cue new shitstorm.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Taeke posted:

I've always gotten the impression that PETA is trying their damnedest to portray themselves as a well organized global organisation, but when you actually take a closer look it's just a bunch of hippies and bored middle-class women that don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Pretty much. My sister worked for PETA, even during the time when that van was discovered with all those animal corpses that were supposed to go for adoption at their HQ, and even with mountains of evidence thrown in her face about what a lovely organization they are, she refuses to back down on how amazing they are. She also did a bunch of their stupid publicity videos. :sigh:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

mostlygray posted:

This crap drives me insane. Farmers love their animals. The videos are clearly from a place that needs to be shut down. But that's only one place. Who hasn't worked at a lovely business? Just because one gas station abuses their employees, should all gas stations be closed? Why would you hurt an animal that produces your revenue? Using one operation to define all is ridiculous. Just because one place mistreats their animals, it doesn't mean all do. I grew up as a farmer and have been to many cattle ranches and I've never seen a mistreated animal in my life from Wyoming to North Dakota. All I've ever seen are fat, happy, cow-calf or herd. I even heard programs on Wyoming radio stations talking about how to make sure you're keeping happy cattle.

Remember, a scared animal is hard to manage, full of adrenaline, and makes your job more difficult. They also have poor quality meat. The only shearing operation I've seen was so calm and smooth that the sheep didn't even need to be restrained. They were used to it and happy and they'd dance in the sun after done. No one want's a stressed animal.
There's a guy who goes around to different events (sheep and wool festivals, historic houses) and does sheep-shearing demonstrations, in fact I just saw him at a event yesterday, and he's just amazing and very knowledgeable about how to handle a sheep so it won't kick or panic while it's being sheared. With electric clippers he could shear a sheep very quickly without causing it distress (he uses a combination of hand shears and old machine shears for demonstrations). I saw one sheep rubbing up against the fence for a good scratch after getting its winter fleece off. There wasn't room for it to frolic, but it looked pretty happy. Makes me wish I had some sheep, or just lived in a place near some that I could visit.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tracula posted:

Aside from the toy aisle thing and washroom thing, they are about identical to Walmart, in all the horrible things that implies as far as labour treatment, slave workers, environmental destruction, lobbying, and such. Might have been more of a dick than I needed to be, but the idea of any corporation being "fairly progressive" is kinda silly, and a Walmart-like earning the title by being slightly less poo poo to trans people than their main competitor is a bit myopic.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Aside from the toy aisle thing and washroom thing, they are about identical to Walmart, in all the horrible things that implies as far as labour treatment, slave workers, environmental destruction, lobbying, and such. Might have been more of a dick than I needed to be, but the idea of any corporation being "fairly progressive" is kinda silly, and a Walmart-like earning the title by being slightly less poo poo to trans people than their main competitor is a bit myopic.

I getcha there and understand you being a bit harsh back. I was just kinda looking at it through the lens of reading the thread, comparing Target and Wal-Mart. It's just that they're marginally less lovely than the other big names out there.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Regarding corporate-speak from previous pages, I work for Walgreens and, among many other bullshit changes that have recently happened, they don't want us to think of Corporate as "corporate," now they are known as "Support Team." Because of course they have our best interests in mind, they're not some heartless faceless shadowy corporate entity, they are there to support us!

They are also remodeling hundreds of stores and creating a new position called "Beauty Consultant," complete with a consultation desk in the cosmetics department, so you can pretend you're buying makeup from a fancy department store instead of a Walgreens.

My store manager has 100% swallowed the corporate Kool-Aid and is constantly talking about "modifying our behaviors to line up with the company expectations" and similar poo poo. "Don't forget, we work for a Fortune 500 company and our behavior needs to reflect that." She's a huge fan of the word "behavior" recently. For gently caress's sake, we work retail, there's no life or death situations happening here.

I worked at Target for about a year too, that poo poo loving sucked. I'm just really, really ready to get out of retail.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DorkusMalorkus posted:

They are also remodeling hundreds of stores and creating a new position called "Beauty Consultant," complete with a consultation desk in the cosmetics department, so you can pretend you're buying makeup from a fancy department store instead of a Walgreens.

Shoppers Drug Mart has been doing this for years. Keep up the pace, Walgreen's!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Regarding corporate-speak from previous pages, I work for Walgreens and, among many other bullshit changes that have recently happened, they don't want us to think of Corporate as "corporate," now they are known as "Support Team." Because of course they have our best interests in mind, they're not some heartless faceless shadowy corporate entity, they are there to support us!

My store manager has 100% swallowed the corporate Kool-Aid and is constantly talking about "modifying our behaviors to line up with the company expectations" and similar poo poo. "Don't forget, we work for a Fortune 500 company and our behavior needs to reflect that." She's a huge fan of the word "behavior" recently. For gently caress's sake, we work retail, there's no life or death situations happening here.

I worked at Target for about a year too, that poo poo loving sucked. I'm just really, really ready to get out of retail.

I work at Staples and the stupid corporate acronym for the company's sales philosophy is VIBE: Valuable Inspired Buying Environment. The manager and assistant manager have both drunk the kool-aid on the creepy, overbearing quasi-cultish bullshit. The rear end man is also personally kind of creepy in that soft-spoken middle-aged man kind of way where he will never actually outright contradict you but just make passive aggressive, condescending remarks about you in front of the customer.

gently caress you, guy, my customers like me because I treat them like human beings instead of ambulatory sacks of money just waiting to be manipulated open.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

DorkusMalorkus posted:

You know, retail isn't so bad when you find a place that isn't poo poo. I just got a job at a smoke shop and have three coworkers, including the owner. It's a really damned nice place and I actually have say in what goes on around there to make things better. Places like Walmart and Target can gently caress right off though.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Scathach posted:

You know, retail isn't so bad when you find a place that isn't poo poo. I just got a job at a smoke shop and have three coworkers, including the owner. It's a really damned nice place and I actually have say in what goes on around there to make things better. Places like Walmart and Target can gently caress right off though.

Yup. I worked for two years at a local retail store, and if it paid better I'd still be there. Cool boss, generally good coworkers, and not all of the customers were scum.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm an installation technician. I won't say who I work for or anything but corporate speak is terrible. When we have to get on the phone to do a corporate wide meeting its like someones trying to sell me motivational tapes for 2 hours.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Scathach posted:

I can imagine working at a smoke shop would be pretty enjoyable. Gonna take a wild guess that most of the people that come on are fairly mellow in general. Not even saying that they're high or whatevs but it just seems niche enough that the ones shopping there don't wanna be remembered as that dick head.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tracula posted:

I can imagine working at a smoke shop would be pretty enjoyable. Gonna take a wild guess that most of the people that come on are fairly mellow in general. Not even saying that they're high or whatevs but it just seems niche enough that the ones shopping there don't wanna be remembered as that dick head.

It really depends. Like all places that cater to a niche subset of enthusiasts they can also be full of annoying elitists. My friend owned a vape shop for a while and the amount of people who would come in and be like "Oh I see, you're selling THOSE kind of batteries, don't you know those are inferior to THIS kind of battery for doing vape mods?" was far more than you'd imagine. It's the same with table top games, comics, bikes, etc ect, the issue is that the most annoying fucks are the ones who don't think that they are annoying assholes, they think you are also a cool in the know guy and want to endlessly brag to you about their D&D character, collection of rare Punisher comics, customized vintage french touring bike, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with passionate enthusiasts, I'm big into Nerf guns and it's allowed me to meet all kinds of cool people from all over the world and talk about cool stuff with them, but there is a certain kind of nerd in every hobby (and I mean EVERY hobby, there was even one at my old MMA gym) who is deficient in every other part of his/her life and uses their knowledge and mastery of a single niche thing to try and put other people down in order to feel better about themselves. And they often don't get why other people in their sub culture often find them annoying, because they're the best and everyone should love the guy who's the best, right?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here in Spain there're no medical marijuana dispensaries, but there's a bit of a gray area in the law were there can exist a smokers club in which you join and go into the clubhouse to smoke pot until you melt with the sofa.

Anyway, I joined one of those clubs and the only thing they asked me apart from the regular data was "are you Secret Police? Because you have to tell us if you're secret police".

My first instinct was to say "well it wouldn't be much of a secret if I told you!" but I didn't want to spend my afternoon trying to convince a paranoid pothead I was joking.

Why do people believe that nonsense? Hell I even told the story to a few friends and even my wife and they all thought it was perfectly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

the issue is that the most annoying fucks are the ones who don't think that they are annoying assholes, they think you are also a cool in the know guy and want to endlessly brag to you about their D&D character, collection of rare Punisher comics, customized vintage french touring bike, etc. ... there is a certain kind of nerd in every hobby who is deficient in every other part of his/her life and uses their knowledge and mastery of a single niche thing to try and put other people down in order to feel better about themselves. And they often don't get why other people in their sub culture often find them annoying, because they're the best and everyone should love the guy who's the best, right?
Sometimes it's just that they're so consumed by this one thing that they really don't know how to talk about anything else. Like, if the conversation drifts to another topic, they're lost and bored and want to get it back "on track". A normal person might go to play Magic: the Gathering but will talk about TV or politics or football while they play or between games, but this person is only interested in talking about the latest MtG cards and tournaments and strategies and genuinely doesn't understand why anyone would be here if they weren't like that.

Worse though are the people who assume that anyone who shares one of their interests must share all of them. "Oh, you play MtG? You must like anime, right?" And if you say no, they'll try to convince you you're wrong. No matter how much or little anime you've seen or how open or hostile you are to the idea, they just won't drop it. If you like one thing I like, you must like everything I like. "You'll see the light eventually!" And if you like something they don't, they'll be just as bad about trying to convince you not to like it.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Anyway, I joined one of those clubs and the only thing they asked me apart from the regular data was "are you Secret Police? Because you have to tell us if you're secret police".

Why do people believe that nonsense? Hell I even told the story to a few friends and even my wife and they all thought it was perfectly normal.
People actually believe that? I thought it was just a joke from TV shows, like "look how dumb this character is that he believes something so obviously nonsensical". I've never known of anyone who actually believed it in real life. :psyduck:

• Locked thread