Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Gyges posted:

They did indeed. Then she got away off screen and it was never brought up again. The only thing it seemed to do was show that apparently some government agency was watching his house. Nothing comes of it and they could be working for the DA, the Blacksmith, the DOD, or someone else perhaps in the SHIELD echelon.

Alternatively Frank moved to a street where the neighbourhood watch just doesn't gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aphrodite posted:

Batman knows he's completely hosed up, and doesn't kill people because if he starts he's going to get to a point where he just kills everyone.

Of course, then there's the stupid as gently caress Elseworlds Batman books where he becomes a vampire to fight Dracula, but he's like a good one until the Joker kills Catwoman (who's a werecat), so Batman snaps and kills Joker in revenge but oh noes now he has to keep killing because he killed Joker and

gently caress I hated that story.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gyges posted:

They did indeed. Then she got away off screen and it was never brought up again. The only thing it seemed to do was show that apparently some government agency was watching his house. Nothing comes of it and they could be working for the DA, the Blacksmith, the DOD, or someone else perhaps in the SHIELD echelon.

I wonder if a follow up scene wasn't cut during production after The Punisher series was green lit to leave some mysteries for the show to explore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if a follow up scene wasn't cut during production after The Punisher series was green lit to leave some mysteries for the show to explore.

Oh was it officially green lit?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gyges posted:

So Castle kills doofus in jail, he told Frank before he died that the big baddie is named 'Blacksmith''. Then Kingpin comes to Castle later and says "Hey, you want to kill Blacksmith, right? Don't ya? Hmm? Don't ya? I'll let you get free, go get him!""

So how did Kingpin know about Blacksmith? A subtle hint, or just lovely writing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gynovore posted:

So Castle kills doofus in jail, he told Frank before he died that the big baddie is named 'Blacksmith''. Then Kingpin comes to Castle later and says "Hey, you want to kill Blacksmith, right? Don't ya? Hmm? Don't ya? I'll let you get free, go get him!""

So how did Kingpin know about Blacksmith? A subtle hint, or just lovely writing?

I was under the impression that Kingpin already knew everything in advance, possibly because he was the Kingpin, and that Castle was just a murder weapon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kingpin knowing that a huge drug dealer in the city is called Blacksmith falls under general criminal information. Similar to knowing how Frank's family died and being able to successfully point loaded gun Frank at the competition.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Gynovore posted:

So, you're asking if jailed Wilson Fisk - the one who we're shown hearing snippets of information, using that info to get to people or sway them to his side, and developing a stronger presence in the prison that's supposedly intended to keep him powerless while extending his channels outward is somehow not supposed to know about the goings-on among big-shot criminals in NYC?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gynovore posted:

It is pretty much in character for his comic incarnation where he's a boring invincible godmod that never goes away.

What I'm saying is that the Kingpin is subjected to lovely writing all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

It is pretty much in character for his comic incarnation where he's a boring invincible godmod that never goes away.

What I'm saying is that the Kingpin is subjected to lovely writing all the time.

So, real quick, you're coming down on the side of lovely writing?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

zoux posted:

So, real quick, you're coming down on the side of lovely writing?

I'm saying that to be the Kingpin is to embody lovely writing.

That doesn't mean he's written in a lovely fashion all the time, I liked how Nocenti handled him in her run and he was great in Born Again and season 1 of the show. But what I've noticed as I've read up on the comics is that he really tends to get built up as like, this all knowing all powerful god, and that's not good writing. Season 2 ended up doing a little bit of that, where he just magically knows things because he's the Kingpin and his information network is er'rywhere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radish posted:

In Batman TAS there's one episode where Robin is getting pissed at Batman and starts questioning his methods after seeing him beat up a criminal in front of his kids. He eventually finds out that unbeknownst to him afterwards as Bruce Wayne, Batman got that same guy a job at Waynecorp and was helping him turn his life around. In super hero stuff it's hard to show that kind of thing where the regular criminals are actual people and not just monsters so it was nice that they did something to show that in a cartoon about beating up bad guys and saving the city from nukes or other things. It's why TAS is really the only incarnation of Batman I like since Bruce feels like an actual human with compassion.

The Brave and the Bold Batman is also excellent since he's basically a TMNT and loves doing his job. Also it's not growlly angry grim at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjG1HSSaGI

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HIJK posted:

I'm saying that to be the Kingpin is to embody lovely writing.

That doesn't mean he's written in a lovely fashion all the time, I liked how Nocenti handled him in her run and he was great in Born Again and season 1 of the show. But what I've noticed as I've read up on the comics is that he really tends to get built up as like, this all knowing all powerful god, and that's not good writing. Season 2 ended up doing a little bit of that, where he just magically knows things because he's the Kingpin and his information network is er'rywhere.

Frank Castle's trial is going on and his story is thus well known. The Blacksmith is a very big name dealer in the area, big enough that he should definitely be known in prison. The guy currently running the prison, who has threatened Fisk, is known to facilitate/engage in big drug deals. Fisk is shown to be at least monitoring the outside world through both newspapers and his lawyer.

Fisk uses what little he does know and can reasonably infer to make Frank an offer he can't refuse. Fisk then sics Frank on the one guy standing in Fisk's way in the prison. The guy doesn't actually admit to anything, and Frank survives Fisk's subsequent attempt on his life. Kingpin then help's Frank escape simply because Frank on the outside is good for Kingpin's business when he finally does get out.

What information has he come across that is the result of assuming criminal omniscience? The closest he comes is when he has his prison lackey run off to get his file on Murdock, which reasonably can be assumed to have originally been provided by his lawyer.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheMaestroso posted:

So, you're asking if jailed Wilson Fisk - the one who we're shown hearing snippets of information, using that info to get to people or sway them to his side, and developing a stronger presence in the prison that's supposedly intended to keep him powerless while extending his channels outward is somehow not supposed to know about the goings-on among big-shot criminals in NYC?

Supposedly Blacksmith dealt in metric tons. This guy doesn't come near the street level dealers; he supplies the guys who supply the guys who supply the guys who supply the dealers.

Also even the highest levels of govt didn't know about Blacksmith until right before the failed raid.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Gynovore posted:

Supposedly Blacksmith dealt in metric tons. This guy doesn't come near the street level dealers; he supplies the guys who supply the guys who supply the guys who supply the dealers.

Also even the highest levels of govt didn't know about Blacksmith until right before the failed raid.

And nobody knew what Fisk was doing in season 1 until he was exposed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

The Brave and the Bold Batman is also excellent since he's basically a TMNT and loves doing his job. Also it's not growlly angry grim at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjG1HSSaGI

Oh yeah that show was just fun, forgot about it since it's so wildly not current Batman. It's like the anti-Watchmen were they go full on "heroes are great and do a good job and there's no creepy issues with their personal lives, just beating jerks and no killing." It was actually refreshing.

I liked the episode where alternate world Joker is the hero.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 20, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gyges posted:

Yeah. I'd assume we'll find out who's interested down the road.

I think it's safe to assume that the sensor goes off now and then, and if they don't see anyone in a quick/soft search, they assume it was just rats, since the house is pretty much empty.

Also: Karen lied about the dishes being put away, I think. Castle inspects dishes on the table when he visits the house.

And, I'm assuming Castle didn't set off the sensor.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

The latter would be the most interesting route, but I just assumed it was people involved in the coverup of what happened to Frank's family. That seemed to go pretty high, so of course they were watching his house. I didn't see that as a loose thread.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

sticklefifer posted:

The latter would be the most interesting route, but I just assumed it was people involved in the coverup of what happened to Frank's family. That seemed to go pretty high, so of course they were watching his house. I didn't see that as a loose thread.

But why not just empty his house out? Why was it always just sitting around untouched even after he became a national news story. No crime tape or anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His house wasn't a crime scene.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

code:
EXT- TOP OF ROOF

PEABODY stands across from AN ANTHROPOMORPHIZED VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW JESSICA JONES. 

PEABODY (grimacing in horror): You had that line.

ANTHROPOMORPHIZED VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW JESSICA JONES (apologetic): I didn't plan that. It just happened.

PEABODY (angry): You made me think...you had decent writing. Did Netflix make you do that?

PEABODY looks simultaneously crushed, hurt, and angry at this ultimate betrayal. 

Camera lingers on PEABODY's face as ANTHROPOMORPHIZED VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW JESSICA JONES looks visibly uncomfortable. 
Score swells.

PEABODY: You let me be...inside you.

FIN

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 23, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
trigger warning that poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Toxxupation posted:

code:
EXT- TOP OF ROOF

PEABODY stands across from AN ANTHROPOMORPHIZED VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW JESSICA JONES. 

PEABODY (grimacing in horror): You had that line.

ANTHROPOMORPHIZED VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW JESSICA JONES (apologetic): I didn't plan that. It just happened.

PEABODY (angry): You made me think...you had decent writing. Did Netflix make you do that?

PEABODY looks simultaneously crushed, hurt, and angry at this ultimate betrayal. 

Camera lingers on PEABODY's face as ANTHROPOMORPHIZED VERSION OF THE TELEVISION SHOW JESSICA JONES looks visibly uncomfortable. 
Score swells.

PEABODY: You let me be...inside you.

FIN

Remember when a consensus of goons placed Jessica Jones as the second best show of 2015, better than Better Call Saul, Mr. Robot and the Leftovers?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

Remember when a consensus of goons placed Jessica Jones as the second best show of 2015, better than Better Call Saul, Mr. Robot and the Leftovers?

Never even heard of Mr. Robot and the Leftovers. But calling it better than Better Call Saul is stupid because that's a serious class-act of a show.

That said sudden goon "Jessica Jones actually sucked" is equally as stupid and reactionary. It was a drat good show with a lot of neat concepts.

This happens all the time on SA. For a recap:

Goons: FURY ROAD IS THE BEST THING EVVVVEERRRRRRRR
-Fast forward six months-
Goons: PEOPLE LIKE THAT MOVIE NOW IT IS SHIIIIIT

Every time

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It should not be a surprise that people can have an immediate reaction to something and then change their minds as they think about and unpack thing more. The sudden reversal being so universal and complete is probably only a function of mob thought, but the shift itself is an organic and completely fine thing to me at least. It's to be expected as people think more about something and discuss it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wait, people hate Fury Road now? People just have no taste these days.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gyges posted:

Wait, people hate Fury Road now? People just have no taste these days.

I poo poo you not, I don't remember which thread it was, but a couple of weeks after it came out, somebody bitched about Fury Road's boring teal and orange color grading.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Never even heard of Mr. Robot and the Leftovers. But calling it better than Better Call Saul is stupid because that's a serious class-act of a show.

That said sudden goon "Jessica Jones actually sucked" is equally as stupid and reactionary. It was a drat good show with a lot of neat concepts.

This happens all the time on SA. For a recap:

Goons: FURY ROAD IS THE BEST THING EVVVVEERRRRRRRR
-Fast forward six months-
Goons: PEOPLE LIKE THAT MOVIE NOW IT IS SHIIIIIT

Every time

nope sorry Toxx and I disliked it immediately, like the true forward-thinking visionaries taht we are

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Marvel is very good at making things that seem really great for the first few weeks and then becomes forgettable at best.

That being said, I still thought it was like 30% longer than it should've been.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Robot started out great, then took a nosedive near the end when a major plot point/mystery turned out to have a super cliche explanation.

Good show for sure, and it got a lot of things right (esp. the hacker stuff, which ALL movies/shows get hilariously wrong all the time) but it's definitely not "one of the best" of 2015.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jessica Jones is not a bad show. It's a good show, and one could even argue an Important show. Capital "i". And for that, sure, I get where people place it high on the list of shows that premiered in 2015, because even if it's qualitatively a mess (and boy was Jessica Jones qualitatively a mess, boy oh boy), it's Important and Says Important Things about, among others, Rape Culture. That I all get.

It's not the second-best show of 2015. Full loving stop. It just isn't. It was the second-best Marvel show that premiered on Netflix in 2015, for Christ's sake.

And if you think, in a year where Mr. Robot and The Leftovers season 2 and Better Call Saul and The Americans season 3 and Fargo season 2 all aired, that Jessica Jones deserves a Peabody, well, congrats, the Peabody committee agrees with you I guess. For the rest of us, we'll look at "You let me be...inside you", the midseason climax, and laugh at how badly that show dropped the loving ball on its main plot line established up to that point.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 23, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished watching this season today finally and felt like I really lost the thread of what was going on sometime in the last few episodes and then it just ended and I still felt confused.

I'm surprised how much I liked all the stuff with Punisher though to be honest. My dislike of that character in general was part of what made me drag my feet on watching this for almost a month, and that storyline ended up being what I found most compelling

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The whole "you let me be inside you" thing is the biggest tempest-in-a-teapot goons have concocted, like ever.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I finished watching this season today finally and felt like I really lost the thread of what was going on sometime in the last few episodes and then it just ended and I still felt confused.

I'm surprised how much I liked all the stuff with Punisher though to be honest. My dislike of that character in general was part of what made me drag my feet on watching this for almost a month, and that storyline ended up being what I found most compelling

Zoux will wander through in a few hours to complain about your reaction and what a shame it is that you're not willing to wait for the Defenders that will explain and wrap up everything, like how Avengers did for the other movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Peabody isn't really a quality award. It's a service award.

It's also not category based. They'll award as many shows as they want. Shows only compete with themselves.

They pay a fee and submit their show, then people vote on whether it was good or not. If everyone says yes, they get an award.

Soothing Vapors posted:

nope sorry Toxx and I disliked it immediately, like the true forward-thinking visionaries taht we are

Don't be happy about this. It means you're broken. Toxx is TV chelatek, he's wrong about everything.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 23, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mr.Robot had acting and cinematography that the Jessica Jones show never even came close to. Go and watch Mr.Robot

[edit] UHHH also to make this not entirely irrelevant I guess Daredevil was also better than Jessica Jones :kiddo:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Don't be happy about this. It means you're broken. Toxx is TV chelatek, he's wrong about everything.
incorrect, Toxx likes quality entertainment like Undertale, Dr. Who, L...Last Man Standing, Homestuck, and... and... oh god, what have I done

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I want to see Madame Gao gently caress up Matt next season.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

enraged_camel posted:

I want to see Madame Gao gently caress up Matt next season.

What's sad is that Iron Fist's Yu-Ti isn't going to be near as awesome as Madam Gao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Cut him some slack, Toxx had to watch two seasons of Last Man Standing. You'd be broken too if you had to go through that trauma.

Soothing Vapors posted:

incorrect, Toxx likes quality entertainment like Undertale, Dr. Who, L...Last Man Standing, Homestuck, and... and... oh god, what have I done

Don't forget Dark Souls and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!