Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Then I noticed that the drum on the cement truck had stopped turning. :stonk:

I would say, if the driver was smart, he would have already dumped in a 50# bag of sugar or two. But that wouldn't do much good without a functioning drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

DIY left-handed bits.

Handmade reclaimed-media artisinal left-handed drill bits. For more information, please visit https://etsy.com/shop/Sagebrush/floorsweepings.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I was witness to a pretty horrible mechanical failure today.

I was getting off the highway at an exit where the off-ramp was backed up a few cars onto the highway. I could see the row of cars as I pulled up. In front of me was a civic and in front of that was a cement truck with the drum spinning. We inched forward a couple times, then sat still for a good minute. I couldn't understand why as the exit doesn't have a light, but rather a merge at the bottom of the ramp which usually moves along slowly but steadily.

Then I noticed that the drum on the cement truck had stopped turning. :stonk:

I couldn't see around the truck so I asked my passenger if they could, and they hopped out of the car to look around it. There were no more cars backed up in front of the truck, but there was a long line behind us. I managed to maneuver around the car in front of me and the ramp was completely clear, just the driver in his truck talking on his cell phone.

I imagine the conversation went something like this: "I have a full load of cement and the truck just broke down blocking a highway offramp. Get here with a pump truck as fast as you loving can."

About 20 minutes later we came back to get on the highway and the truck was still there, the drum still wasn't turning, and there was nobody attempting to offload the cement. I don't know much about how long it takes cement to dry in a truck, but I imagine by that point things were starting to harden. I have a feeling someone's in for a very long couple of days (weeks?) with a jackhammer inside that drum. Also the police had closed down one of the two lanes so people could get around the truck to the exit (only a small gap was left), so there was a 5 mile jam backed up behind it.

A quarter stick of dynamite is a much simpler solution to the dried cement in drum problem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mythbusters tried that.

RIP orbital cement truck

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
to be fair, the 1/4 stick did actually work pretty well on a truck that just had a layer crusted around the inside.

It was the hundreds of pounds of anfo on a half-full-of-cement truck that violated Martian airspace

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How much does a replacement drum cost?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

moxieman posted:

So this happened right next to where I work yesterday:

Mountaineer hits guardrail, guardrail fails, Mountaineer falls 30' into the bed of an F150. Everyone escapes with minor injuries.

Follow up:

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/04/22/state-failed-to-act-on-inspectors-call-for-bridge-repairs/

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cakefool posted:

How much does a replacement drum cost?

It's heavy equipment so I would assume $texas.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

rndmnmbr posted:

I would say, if the driver was smart, he would have already dumped in a 50# bag of sugar or two. But that wouldn't do much good without a functioning drum.

Yeah I always start my work day by loading 100 pounds of confectionary supplies into the cab of my cement truck in the off chance of a very specific failure mode.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yeah I always start my work day by loading 100 pounds of confectionary supplies into the cab of my cement truck in the off chance of a very specific failure mode.

You mean in the cab designed for one person?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

You mean in the cab designed for one person?

Sure, just sit on top of them. Being up higher gives you a better view of the road.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geirskogul posted:

Mythbusters tried that.

RIP orbital cement truck

God, that was one of the best explosions on that show.

Cement truck
*BRNNT*
No more cement truck

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Cement truck
*BRNNT*
No more cement truck

They redid it with even more ANFO in the final season. It left a pretty nice crater.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It is the fix for a very specific problem, yes - but driving a cement truck is also a very specific situation. I'm not sure what I would compare it to; maybe keeping a mini fridge of antivenin in your snake transport truck?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Cement truck
*BRNNT*
No more cement truck

The noise was the best part, and you actually captured it pretty well.

I need to watch the final season. I am glued to any Tested video with Adam in it, and I liked the first few episodes of the format change where it was more about building one myth than reality-tv-ing three. I just kind of drifted away.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Computer viking posted:

It is the fix for a very specific problem, yes - but driving a cement truck is also a very specific situation. I'm not sure what I would compare it to; maybe keeping a mini fridge of antivenin in your snake transport truck?

Isn't antivenin is so expensive that carrying it around like that is completely infeasible?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The finale was a pretty good sendoff, but no myths were really tested. They basically took a few of the show's most popular moments and did them to the nth degree. For example, they made a mega wedge truck and drove it through EVERYTHING.

They also vaporized Buster. Without explosives. With only speed.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Apologies for the low content post but thanks to you, I just sprayed rice all over my monitor :laffo:.

I'm now watching the aforementioned Mythbusters episode for the first time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geirskogul posted:

The noise was the best part, and you actually captured it pretty well.

I need to watch the final season. I am glued to any Tested video with Adam in it, and I liked the first few episodes of the format change where it was more about building one myth than reality-tv-ing three. I just kind of drifted away.

It really was the best part. No earth-shattering kaboom, no dubbed over bomb blasts, just a quick innocuous *BRNNT* and a cloud of smoke. And to be completely fair, the dried cement was no longer a problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

They redid it with even more ANFO in the final season. It left a pretty nice crater.

Wasn't a great explosion though. I think it was too much, especially doing it in a dirt field. Everything was lost in the cloud.

The original wasn't recorded in HD but it was a much cooler detonation.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

Everything was lost in the cloud.

...It was a truck full of concrete. The cloud was inevitable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only way to know for sure is to develop a testing protocol, line up a thousand concrete trucks and use them to determine the amount of amfo that produces the most appealing explosion.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They really should have loaded up the finale truck with high explosive instead of ANFO. Just one second it's there, a fraction of a second later there's a little more junk in orbit and a big ole crater.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Splizwarf posted:

Handmade reclaimed-media artisinal left-handed drill bits. For more information, please visit https://etsy.com/shop/Sagebrush/floorsweepings.

This reminds me of the old legends of Spagthorpe:

http://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/spagthorpe/chaim.html

quote:

[It] consisted of a bolt with a hole drilled through it. The outer threads were left hand thread while the hole was threaded right hand. The mating nut and the bolt would be both loosened and tightened with a turn of either in any direction maintaining a constant preload. This system was intended for use on axles and other bearings eliminating the need for cotter pins and the like. Both ideas were scrapped when it was realized that the oxy/acetylene "spanner" used to remove these bolts would not fit in the tool bag..

http://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/spagthorpe/pug.html

quote:

Although there are no known remaining photographs of the Pug, if indeed any were ever any taken, much about its design has since been pieced together from several first hand descriptions that were written at the time. The engine was apparently taken from one of the early airplane engines, both having been built sometime in the 1890s (the exact year is not known). The most unique aspect of these engines was that, rather than the cylinders being fixed to the frame, and the crank free to rotate, the crank was attached to the frame, with the cylinders free to rotate about the crank. The beauty of this system, as it was applied to the Pug, is the way in which it facilitated the most singularly simple drive mechanism that has ever been conceived, before or since. The crank was attached to the frame at the location where today the rear axle is found, at the end of the rear fork, except there was no swing arm as such, it being a rigid mount. (The frame itself was, however, handcrafted of seasoned hickory, which offered some measure of absorption of bumps.)

The two halves of the fork were set fairly wide apart, as was necessary since the cylinders rotated in the space between them, just as the rear wheel does in a modern motorcycle. The crank had a single “throw” , to which two pistons were connected via a pair of very unique and ingenious connecting rods. It has been reported that the rods were, curiously, manufactured from military-spec eating utensils, with one forked and straddling the other, permitting the two pistons to orbit in the same plane, centered in the space between the rear forks. This arrangement has variously been referred to as the “one forked and straddling the other, permitting the pistons to orbit in the same plane” arrangement, or the “missionary” arrangement, or, more simply, the “humping-couple” arrangement. But I digress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

The only way to know for sure is to develop a testing protocol, line up a thousand concrete trucks and use them to determine the amount of amfo that produces the most appealing explosion.

Start a kickstarter and I'll chip in $50.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Thank you for this, I'd never seen it and it's fantastic. :tipshat:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Data Graham posted:

http://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/spagthorpe/pug.html

quote:

The beauty of this system, as it was applied to the Pug, is the way in which it facilitated the most singularly simple drive mechanism that has ever been conceived, before or since. The crank was attached to the frame at the location where today the rear axle is found, at the end of the rear fork, except there was no swing arm as such, it being a rigid mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAQuljp-atA This was A Thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
"Should I get a new tire?"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

so uh.

how are you supposed to stop? Or start moving again? people tend to get cross if you miss the green, the yellow, and the next red attempting to restart your front wheel direct driven contraption.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

so uh.

how are you supposed to stop? Or start moving again? people tend to get cross if you miss the green, the yellow, and the next red attempting to restart your front wheel direct driven contraption.

You don't.

Some say that old man is still puttering around the German countryside to this day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

so uh.

I'd think there would be a centripetal clutch between the engine and the wheel.

Nope, upon investigation it seems you were expected to stall it every time you stopped. Germans.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It had to be the easiest thing in the world to bump start. Needs a set of pedals for that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So mom decided to take her car to Goodyear to figure out what it needs.

They completely glossed over all of the oil leaks (and the oil soaked timing belt) (this thing is starting to leak like the Exxon Valdez), and the leaking steering rack, but insisted that one of the control arms was "really worn out", ball joints were bad, suspension needed a full refresh, and the ac apparently does not leak at all.

I've chucked 4 pounds of refrigerant at that drat car in the past 2 weeks alone, and there's dye in the system now. It's never been curbed, control arms don't "wear out", the ball joints were fine a few months back. The front struts are pretty worn, I'll give them that, but the tires wear perfectly even and it tracks straight.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It really was the best part. No earth-shattering kaboom, no dubbed over bomb blasts, just a quick innocuous *BRNNT* and a cloud of smoke. And to be completely fair, the dried cement was no longer a problem.

Betcha that truck never broke down again either. :haw:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

some texas redneck posted:

So mom decided to take her car to Goodyear to figure out what it needs.

They completely glossed over all of the oil leaks (and the oil soaked timing belt) (this thing is starting to leak like the Exxon Valdez), and the leaking steering rack, but insisted that one of the control arms was "really worn out", ball joints were bad, suspension needed a full refresh, and the ac apparently does not leak at all.

I've chucked 4 pounds of refrigerant at that drat car in the past 2 weeks alone, and there's dye in the system now. It's never been curbed, control arms don't "wear out", the ball joints were fine a few months back. The front struts are pretty worn, I'll give them that, but the tires wear perfectly even and it tracks straight.

Betcha that truck never broke down again either. :haw:

Not that they weren't trying to gouge you, but the control arm bushings wear out and are very very common to do so - and it would be worse if they were continually oil soaked. Most cars you can change the bushings separately, but some you have to buy the whole arm to get the bushings. Other cars you can't change the ball joint separately, you need to buy the whole arm. So a lot of shops will just replace the arm assembly if the ball joint or bushings are gone - less labor cost but more parts cost.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

so uh.

The sort of European rural countryside this was aimed at didn't have such niceties as traffic lights, or indeed other traffic that didn't have legs.

I'm fairly sure I've seen something similar in France, old woman popped it onto the centre stand to stop and had a pull-string to wrap around the axle to make starting it easier.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FuzzKill posted:

Not that they weren't trying to gouge you, but the control arm bushings wear out and are very very common to do so - and it would be worse if they were continually oil soaked. Most cars you can change the bushings separately, but some you have to buy the whole arm to get the bushings. Other cars you can't change the ball joint separately, you need to buy the whole arm. So a lot of shops will just replace the arm assembly if the ball joint or bushings are gone - less labor cost but more parts cost.

I looked at the quote today.

They claim one upper ball joint (on one side) and one lower ball joint (on the other) are bad. The ball joints were listed as $0, but the control arms were listed as $325 (each). I'm pretty drat sure the upper ball joint isn't on the lower control arm. :downs: They also wrote in labor for both the ball joints and the control arms.

I put it on a jack and gave the front wheels a good heave - zero play whatsoever (up/down and left/right). The ball joints have all been freshly greased to the point that a ton of grease was spilling out from under the seals, :10bux: says they would have just pointed at the grease and said "that's why you need ball joints". She got a second and third opinion today, both said there's nothing wrong with the ball joints or control arms. Bushings looked worn (as to be expected on a 13 year old car), but still present, and there's no clunking noises, handling issues (beyond the front struts being worn out), or tire wear issues.

Oh, they also told her that anyone can fix the oil leak at the crank, and that they could fix it in 15 minutes - just remove the pulley and pull the seal, and tap a new one in! This would in fact be sound advice if the car had a timing chain instead of a timing belt. :downsgun:

e: I just looked up the control arms. Moog control arms, with lower ball joint and bushings, are $75 on Amazon, $65 on Rockauto. That shop wanted $325 (without labor) per arm.
e2: sorry, the original post was supposed to be in the chat thread. oops.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 24, 2016

SAustria
Jul 25, 2007

e: I just looked up the control arms. Moog control arms, with lower ball joint and bushings, are $75 on Amazon, $65 on Rockauto. That shop wanted $325 (without labor) per arm.

Yeah more often than not you can get complete control arms cheaper yourself than you will pay a shop for JUST the ball joints.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGUEf_jfmvs

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I looked at the quote today.

They claim one upper ball joint (on one side) and one lower ball joint (on the other) are bad. The ball joints were listed as $0, but the control arms were listed as $325 (each). I'm pretty drat sure the upper ball joint isn't on the lower control arm. :downs: They also wrote in labor for both the ball joints and the control arms.

I put it on a jack and gave the front wheels a good heave - zero play whatsoever (up/down and left/right). The ball joints have all been freshly greased to the point that a ton of grease was spilling out from under the seals, :10bux: says they would have just pointed at the grease and said "that's why you need ball joints". She got a second and third opinion today, both said there's nothing wrong with the ball joints or control arms. Bushings looked worn (as to be expected on a 13 year old car), but still present, and there's no clunking noises, handling issues (beyond the front struts being worn out), or tire wear issues.

Oh, they also told her that anyone can fix the oil leak at the crank, and that they could fix it in 15 minutes - just remove the pulley and pull the seal, and tap a new one in! This would in fact be sound advice if the car had a timing chain instead of a timing belt. :downsgun:

That sounds like OEM toyota arms. They're HIDEOUSLY expensive- The list price for the control arms on my Landcruiser are over $800 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ferremit posted:

That sounds like OEM toyota arms. They're HIDEOUSLY expensive- The list price for the control arms on my Landcruiser are over $800 each.

Speaking of hilariously expensive suspension parts, shocks for an 2006ish AWD Infiniti M35/45 have no 3rd party manufacturer. I think it is the fronts that are exclusive to that car only. Does Infiniti jack the price of those to loving hell? Of course. Think a set of 4 cost more than decent coilovers for a subaru (part only). Good thing they lasted like 150k mi.