Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ratbert90 posted:

It's running CentOS7. I might have to just take down the server and do a dd on the drives one by one?

You can't DD the drives one by one... you have what, 4 drives in RAID10 right now? The physical drives are just unreadable info. You need them all together on the RAID card and then you want to dd the logical drive the 4 physical drives combine to make.

I'm no linux expert or anything, but if you can't get all the drives installed to the server at once you'll probably need a temporary storage solution for the image of the drive.

dd the 1TB logical drive to an external hard drive, remove the old disks,then setup the new disks how you want in the server, get them configured, and then dd the image back to the new disks.

edit: If you have more than 1 logical drive off the RAID array, thats fine too, I thought you meant dd'ing the physical drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

stubblyhead posted:

Well what if it really was -276 in there, Mr Smart Guy? What then??

That'd be pretty cool!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pop the disks and set aside. Install your new disks and initialize your array. Install OS. Restore data files from backup. If you're using `dd` you've already lost.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Convert that thing to a VM and toss that physical server imo

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

ratbert90 posted:

It's running CentOS7. I might have to just take down the server and do a dd on the drives one by one?

edit*

I like the idea of DD'ing each drive to a remote mount, so long as I shut down all services on the server first that should work great!

Don't dd a mounted filesystem. Boot to a live CD and do it from there.

Doing a dd on a live system makes me uneasy - Lord knows what could be going on in the background, changing some important thing right after dd has copied it off.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cenodoxus posted:

Don't dd a mounted filesystem. Boot to a live CD and do it from there.

Doing a dd on a live system makes me uneasy - Lord knows what could be going on in the background, changing some important thing right after dd has copied it off.

What always scares me about things like this is it changes a file halfway through getting copied. Since dd doesn't actually open files or anything, afaik, it would copy one block of the old file, then the next block would be the new data.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh sweet Jesus no, I wouldn't do DD on a running system. That's just asking for trouble.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I kinda want to try this now.

Preferably in production just because.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I kinda want to try this now.

Preferably in production just because.

It's less interesting than it sounds. Try it on a database of some kind for maximum enjoyment. (MySQL, Exchange, whatever) Subtle data corruption is the king of annoying.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
How do you guys know what jobs to apply for?

My title is "Systems Engineer", although I mostly do automation and ops work. I've worked with Rhev, oVirt, Hyper-V, VMware. I do some work with Jenkins (although that's new), use powershell for automating server builds/storage additions, and write basic poo poo for Nagios to use to monitor certain functionality.

So, i've touched some cool technology, but the problem is this: our production environment is like 90% Windows, so consequently my Linux understanding is pretty low. There's been a recent shake up at work that makes me HELLA nervous about longevity here which prompted me to start looking into other jobs. The thing is, I am having terrible luck finding jobs that seem to line up with my skill set. Are you guys all comfortable with both sides of the house, and don't have to worry about this sort of thing, and I'm just stuck until I figure out more stuff on Linux at home?

Or, am I being foolish by not applying for all this stuff that I don't line up with experience-wise, and companies are happy to see someone with proficiency in other fields and the promise of learning fast?

I'd appreciate any advice :). I've held several different positions in IT (technical support, server operations, systems engineer) but all within the same company, so I don't have much experience with this stuff.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I'm not in the same position as you, because I'm not looking, but I am in the same position that I touch all kinds of Tech all the time so I have great experience. I would not care if I did not have experience with the specific technology, what is important is the ability to learn new technology. Focus on that aspect of your experience.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Conversely, pick out from your experience what you want/like to do, detail it on a resume and leave out the rest. Toss it up on Monster/Dice/LinkedIn and start cherry-picking recruiters to work with; even if you're not interested in the jobs they have you can at least start building relationships with them. It's what I've been doing for the past few weeks and it got me a lead on a senior systems admin position for the largest employer in the area. I get this one and it'll easily be a 30k raise and puts me within spitting distance of 6 figures in an area with decent cost of living.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Jowj posted:

How do you guys know what jobs to apply for?

My title is "Systems Engineer", although I mostly do automation and ops work. I've worked with Rhev, oVirt, Hyper-V, VMware. I do some work with Jenkins (although that's new), use powershell for automating server builds/storage additions, and write basic poo poo for Nagios to use to monitor certain functionality.

So, i've touched some cool technology, but the problem is this: our production environment is like 90% Windows, so consequently my Linux understanding is pretty low. There's been a recent shake up at work that makes me HELLA nervous about longevity here which prompted me to start looking into other jobs. The thing is, I am having terrible luck finding jobs that seem to line up with my skill set. Are you guys all comfortable with both sides of the house, and don't have to worry about this sort of thing, and I'm just stuck until I figure out more stuff on Linux at home?

Where and how are you looking for jobs?

VMware and Hyper-V jobs are plentiful and anyone who's has a semi-decent background should easily be able to land a decent >55k/y at a Managed Service Provider. Throwing things like oVirt / Rhev and into the mix while are sort outside of my skillset but from what I've heard are somewhat unique however should be valuable.

On a side note, it'll be interesting to see how VMware stacks up in the future considering how much Hyper-V has caught up in terms of performance, quality, etc...

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Swink posted:

Ditto!

I actually took a $1000/year hit to get this job. Goodbye professional services where I wear a suit to crawl under some assholes desk all day. Hello software company where I wear jeans and think about automation all day.

So hurrah for both of us :)

:yotj:

I'd definitely take a pay hit of 1k a year to go back to my third sysadmin job. It was in the Sears Tower for a software company. Breathtaking views of Chicago, and I came to work in sweatpants and house shoes. The lazy gear was twofold: 1, the culture was very relaxed, and 2, I lived in a condo building a block away. Literally spent more time on elevators than I did walking for my commute to work.

But I only made 65k a year :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

gfsincere posted:

I'd definitely take a pay hit of 1k a year to go back to my third sysadmin job. It was in the Sears Tower for a software company. Breathtaking views of Chicago, and I came to work in sweatpants and house shoes. The lazy gear was twofold: 1, the culture was very relaxed, and 2, I lived in a condo building a block away. Literally spent more time on elevators than I did walking for my commute to work.

But I only made 65k a year :(

That's what I make.

As an IT manager and member of the planning team.

E: Although it isn't in Chicago, it's in BFN, NH.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To whoever recommended KnowBe4 thank you! They came out way cheaper than our existing security auditors offering. I can say that I will spend more time goofing around with phishing templates this week then I will with other work. I'm having way to much fun crafting "See Princes Deathbed Video" emails and seeing which idiot user clicks on it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Subject: ROBERT HALF (6265551234) has left you a message 33 second(s) long

Thank goodness this is all the information I need to delete the email. (It's a voicemail, forwarded from our PBX having never caused my phone to make any indication a call was received or a voicemail left. God bless technology.)

Edit: Out of morbid curiosity based on what I've learned from this thread I listened to the message. It's for the wrong person at the correct company saying she is coming by later today to chat. I think this person printed my extension on his business cards as it's not the first one I've received for this person.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 26, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Good on you, those guys are not even worth entertaining.

I know you guys have heard me complain about my job a lot. This is a result of two things - 1) I work with 2 people who I just can't stand, and 2) I don't know, sometimes it's more fun to get on here and vent than be like "hey, had a great day, did cool stuff, got a paycheck a week ago and getting one next week too" - so you tend to hear the bitching, but not the good. But I'd really reached a good spot with my job where I'm really comfortable with it, again, I'm not going to go into too much of the good but it's simply right for me.

But man, I can just sense it, I can feel it, the very early signs and movements are in place. I'd already told my wife that I'd probably leave after this year just because you do want to stay in motion, but I'm not even sure my position lasts through the end of the year. They haven't needed me for 6 months, and now I've got contractors and junior guys doing all of my work, to the point where I swear to god I'm just "escalation and advisement", and I do, please trust that I'm not exaggerating, I've done like 2 hours of work so far this week, and even that could have been done by someone else. Now we've got meetings scheduled where we're going to talk to guys from corporate about various roles and responsibilities and help them understand what we do, and what our environments look like, and I'm just, yep, that's gonna be where my job's going.

I'm not upset - I'm well qualified, thanks to frugality I have enough in the bank to live comfortably as long as I choose, and IT's not a terribly sentimental world. But man, I'd just gotten comfortable with my role, don't take it from me now, let me ride this baby out! Don't think that's in the cards for ole Stripe, though.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Now we've got meetings scheduled where we're going to talk to guys from corporate about various roles and responsibilities and help them understand what we do, and what our environments look like, and I'm just, yep, that's gonna be where my job's going.

This kind of meeting?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Good on you, those guys are not even worth entertaining.

I know you guys have heard me complain about my job a lot. This is a result of two things - 1) I work with 2 people who I just can't stand, and 2) I don't know, sometimes it's more fun to get on here and vent than be like "hey, had a great day, did cool stuff, got a paycheck a week ago and getting one next week too" - so you tend to hear the bitching, but not the good. But I'd really reached a good spot with my job where I'm really comfortable with it, again, I'm not going to go into too much of the good but it's simply right for me.

But man, I can just sense it, I can feel it, the very early signs and movements are in place. I'd already told my wife that I'd probably leave after this year just because you do want to stay in motion, but I'm not even sure my position lasts through the end of the year. They haven't needed me for 6 months, and now I've got contractors and junior guys doing all of my work, to the point where I swear to god I'm just "escalation and advisement", and I do, please trust that I'm not exaggerating, I've done like 2 hours of work so far this week, and even that could have been done by someone else. Now we've got meetings scheduled where we're going to talk to guys from corporate about various roles and responsibilities and help them understand what we do, and what our environments look like, and I'm just, yep, that's gonna be where my job's going.

I'm not upset - I'm well qualified, thanks to frugality I have enough in the bank to live comfortably as long as I choose, and IT's not a terribly sentimental world. But man, I'd just gotten comfortable with my role, don't take it from me now, let me ride this baby out! Don't think that's in the cards for ole Stripe, though.

Its like we are the same person except I am on the upswing of getting raises and a promotion for doing 2 hours a week of work and my company is making investments in me to keep me here\. Hell, i am not even in the loving office for more than 20 hours a week anymore. Everything is so automated and on cruise control I am going days without someone needing to actually talk to me about anything. All the people that report to me have gotten so self reliant that I am basically just an escalation person for them.

I mean basically 90% of the companies infrastructure is administrated solely by me without a backup. But because of the automation, I could not come back and everything could be taken care of until licenses lapse. We need a new server stood up? Cool, I press start on a script and it will operational in about 45 minutes. Internet just go down? Oh yeah, we don't notice because our backup internet is still going and nobody loving notices a thing. Need a file restored? Shadowcopies is enabled and the loving helpdesk guys can help with that. A physical server raid controller just hosed up? The virtual servers were moved and rebooted before I figured out what happened. At this point 90% of the actual work I is reading email logs to figure out if a 3rd party really did someone x person an email or if it was rejected because the attachment was too big.

At this point I am paid a lot of money just to know some poo poo, talk to my reports about their day, and handle escalations that I might get once a month. I am find solace that my boss is paid more to do even less.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There's actually talk about getting me a raise ("Senior Architect"), and I'm like, yes, more money please, but I also feel a lot of duties getting pulled towards "corporate", which is the IT they know and trust, whereas we're just the company they bought who came with their own IT team. We shall see!

We really, really need to get a beer here soon. It's absolutely criminal that we live this close to each other and aren't checking in occasionally.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
HVAC Horror Stories Pt. 2: The HVAC'ening

Pulled up the building management system this morning and checked all of my pretty charts and graphs, when i realized that I needed to call an ambulance because the humidity probes are in sinus tachycardia:

which is a realllllll accurate representation of the humidity levels, except the low point is like 40% and the high is 70%+, with ~20-30 minute intervals.
It's maintaining a steady room temperature of anywhere between -237 degrees and +73 degrees.

And the building maintenance people can't find a contractor to come do our annual maintenance that's been postponed 3 times because contractors flake out.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
^ that's pretty awesome.

Anyone attending Interop (Vegas) next week? I'll be there Tuesday to Friday, and looking for beer drinking buddies.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
So I posted a little while back about asking about the Assistant Team Lead position for the APC team here at WPAFB and getting it. I'm also continuing in my role as Virtualization admin, but it's no longer my only responsibility. Not much has changed, honestly, but I'm feeling a little bit more relaxed about my future employment options. We just found out today that our existing contract has received funding up until August 2nd, and there's a 60-day notification requirement in the contract. Even if the contract ends, there is still going to be a requirement for the APC team here, and I've heard that there's already a contract drawn up, hashed out, funded, and ready to go - it just needs the prime contractor (my employer) to submit the paperwork. Under the contract the Messaging team would be gone, but the APC team would be left in place with 14 personnel, of which I would be one, so there's that.

Of course, I also got a draft proposal from our CO for the Team Lead and myself to review, and boy is it a doozy. If things go as planned I could expect to stay here for at least another 5 years or so. I think they will, since purchase orders have gone out and equipment is going to start arriving in a little over a month to rapidly expand out AFNET resources. If my source is correct there could also be a little bit of a pay bump, but as long as I don't lose money I'm good with it. If I can parlay another year as a Virtualization admin and add in leadership experience then I think I could turn that into a Sr Admin or management role if I get my MCSA 2012 in the next six months as planned.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So I posted a little while back about asking about the Assistant Team Lead position for the APC team here at WPAFB and getting it. I'm also continuing in my role as Virtualization admin, but it's no longer my only responsibility. Not much has changed, honestly, but I'm feeling a little bit more relaxed about my future employment options. We just found out today that our existing contract has received funding up until August 2nd, and there's a 60-day notification requirement in the contract. Even if the contract ends, there is still going to be a requirement for the APC team here, and I've heard that there's already a contract drawn up, hashed out, funded, and ready to go - it just needs the prime contractor (my employer) to submit the paperwork. Under the contract the Messaging team would be gone, but the APC team would be left in place with 14 personnel, of which I would be one, so there's that.

Of course, I also got a draft proposal from our CO for the Team Lead and myself to review, and boy is it a doozy. If things go as planned I could expect to stay here for at least another 5 years or so. I think they will, since purchase orders have gone out and equipment is going to start arriving in a little over a month to rapidly expand out AFNET resources. If my source is correct there could also be a little bit of a pay bump, but as long as I don't lose money I'm good with it. If I can parlay another year as a Virtualization admin and add in leadership experience then I think I could turn that into a Sr Admin or management role if I get my MCSA 2012 in the next six months as planned.

As a bystander watching all of this it has been pretty awesome to see you go from crappy hospital helpdesk to this. Congrats dude.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

As a bystander watching all of this it has been pretty awesome to see you go from crappy hospital helpdesk to this. Congrats dude.

Thank you - it's been quite a ride, I must admit. Getting on the base has certainly paid off for me, even if it's been the cause of some sleepless nights as I pondered my future. After nearly 10 years in IT I finally feel like I'm approaching where I want to be career-wise. Still a long way to go, and still so so much to learn.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
You folks might be able to help me because I've hit an issue and it's doing my head in.

I've got a SBS 2008 box that is having network transfer speed issues.

When use smb to transfer a file to a certain Windows 7 workstation it absolutely kills network performance. Transfer speeds to other workstations are totally standard speeds you'd expect from a gigabit network however if I copy a file to this one workstation the speed drops to about 1.5mbps and ping times to other workstations on the network skyrocket.

The network setup is very simple. A draytek, router with a bridged ADSL modem, a single 16 port Cisco dumb switch and about 10 Windows 7 workstations.

The machine was working fine, I'm told, until about 2 weeks ago.

I'm trying to think what might cause poor network performance when a transfer between a certain host is going on.

Any ideas?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

run Wireshark on the workstation and see what kind of traffic you see from the SBS. Then do the same from another workstation. Compare and see what the difference is.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Rebuild that motherfucker. I don't cotton troubleshooting - fire it into the sun and see what's left standing.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The quickest and easiest thing to check is the physical connection itself. Have you plugged the workstation into another, known-good port and cable?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got another interview!

Not a moment too soon. Current gig is getting pretty crazy. This is basically me now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdsJDLSI_Mo

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's what I make.

As an IT manager and member of the planning team.

E: Although it isn't in Chicago, it's in BFN, NH.

Yeah I was running infrastructure and storage (4 NetApp Filers) for a 150 person company. Senior Linux Admin within 2 years of getting into IT. It helps that my first job was running a whole DC for a hosting company that was pants on head retarded with a wildly unreasonable SLA. That's being thrown into Linux in a way I would not advise for anyone BUT I got about 7-8 years worth of experience crammed within a year.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I have a second interview for a NOC position coming up next week. The first interview was the best interview I've ever done in my life. I had a call back within two hours telling me they wanted to schedule a second interview next week. This time it will be with the bosses: the CTO, a VP, and maybe the CEO.

Does anyone have any tips for second interviews?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

frogbert posted:

You folks might be able to help me because I've hit an issue and it's doing my head in.

I've got a SBS 2008 box that is having network transfer speed issues.

When use smb to transfer a file to a certain Windows 7 workstation it absolutely kills network performance. Transfer speeds to other workstations are totally standard speeds you'd expect from a gigabit network however if I copy a file to this one workstation the speed drops to about 1.5mbps and ping times to other workstations on the network skyrocket.

The network setup is very simple. A draytek, router with a bridged ADSL modem, a single 16 port Cisco dumb switch and about 10 Windows 7 workstations.

The machine was working fine, I'm told, until about 2 weeks ago.

I'm trying to think what might cause poor network performance when a transfer between a certain host is going on.

Any ideas?

This turned out to be a really weird issue with the switch. I don't know exactly what was going on internally but swapping it out with a new one seemed to fix it. It was a Cisco switch too. Thanks for the suggestions.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DropsySufferer posted:

I have a second interview for a NOC position coming up next week. The first interview was the best interview I've ever done in my life. I had a call back within two hours telling me they wanted to schedule a second interview next week. This time it will be with the bosses: the CTO, a VP, and maybe the CEO.

Does anyone have any tips for second interviews?

This sounds like a rubber stamp interview, making sure that the C/V levels like you on a personal level. So be personable, etc, but mostly yourself. Don't be a different person from the first interview.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just caught up with the thread, and it saddens me greatly that Turtlicious wss trolling. (I mean, of COURSE he was.) But next to that, I probably have the most insane job as far as dealing with crazy management, and mine isn't really all that entertaining.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I work for an MSP that ate my MSP about a year ago. My co-workers and I got a promotion because we actually knew something, and there wasn't much growth potential in the 6 person company we came from. The new place was better than the previous mainly because the wife of the owner wasn't doing the books. Its been a slog to get processes and documentation going though. When we got there, documentation was shat into texts files per company, were severely incomplete and no one gave a poo poo. We got confluence up and running and its been a dream to work with. But that much pushing and fighting to even get basic poo poo going has just burnt us the gently caress out. My co-worker :yotj:'d recently and I am waiting on a reply to my counter-offer from a state school for a server admin / vmware / storage position. I am fully ready to retire to the state school pastures. Oh and did I mention another one of a 6 person senior team is moving and maybe working from home but its all up in the air. I love my supervisor but he can't control the amount of hellshit that comes in and goes out. And how much sales fucks with everything here.

The new place might be kind of a poo poo show seeing as the IT group went from 30 to 14 and they are slowly building back. But honestly, one shitshow vs 100 shitshows is fine with me. Theres a budget and I can sit in a quiet room and nerd the gently caress out on servers and automating myself out of a job.

TL:DR: lovely MSP, co-worker :yotj: 'd and I'm about to :yotj: :feelsgood:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I worked VERY briefly for a school in IT. Be prepared to have no money, no say in the budget, and have said budget be repeatedly slashed. That said everyone was super chill and the higher up IT guys had it made with a sweet retirement plan.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
This is my last week working in field service for a global megacorp. Next week I start a systems/storage admin job with municipal government. I hope it's warm in my pod. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ptier posted:

I can sit in a quiet room and nerd the gently caress out on servers and automating myself out of a job.

If you thought an MSP had horrible politics, just wait until you're in government. That said it's a largely steady paycheck, and the politics turns off at 5pm sharp.