Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squizzle posted:

Steve Wacker's office usually had a good eye for interesting non-house-style artists, a skill for bringing good work consistently out of talented writers, and a possibly supernatural ability to herd cats in orders to keep better-than-monthly schedules working medium-term.

He masterminded 52 and Brand New Day.

BND is not exactly an example of good editing, regardless of how you feel about the stories themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Toxxupation posted:

Yo I caught up on Vision and that is some loving next level poo poo, guys.

Virginia did nothing wrong.

(much)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Toxxupation posted:

Yo I caught up on Vision and that is some loving next level poo poo, guys.
I'm not gonna say Vision is the best comic book coming out right now but if anyone doesn't think it's at least in the top 5, me and them can't be friends.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not gonna say Vision is the best comic book coming out right now but if anyone doesn't think it's at least in the top 5, me and them can't be friends.

It might be. I'd put Silk up there, though.

Actually I'd argue that Silk is the best character that's debuted this decade, from the big two at least.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

It might be. I'd put Silk up there, though.

Actually I'd argue that Silk is the best character that's debuted this decade, from the big two at least.

I think Ms. Marvel gets the crown for that, actually. Silk also loses points for her...deeply unfortunate introduction in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man & Spider-Verse.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
what do you think your top five of comics currently being published would be? In no particular order?

Vision
Sex Crims
Silk
Wicked + Div
New Avengers + Ultimates (I lump em together because Ewing is killer)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

trashbuilder posted:

what do you think your top five of comics currently being published would be? In no particular order?

Vision
Sex Crims
Silk
Wicked + Div
New Avengers + Ultimates (I lump em together because Ewing is killer)
Goddamn, I agree with you on 4/5. I'd say Vision, Sex Crims, WickDiv, New Avengers/Ultimates, and Darth Vader.

I'd round out the top 10 with Archie, Jughead, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Spider-Man.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Ms. Marvel gets the crown for that, actually. Silk also loses points for her...deeply unfortunate introduction in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man & Spider-Verse.

Silk is great in her own book but yeah she is a complete shitfest when first debuted. :smith:

Admittedly recently they've done a great job of spinning poo poo into gold with the crappier Spider-spinoffs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

trashbuilder posted:

Superman: American Alien
Vision
Low
Sheriff of Babylon
Stray Bullets

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I would say that's a testament to how good a character she is, that she overcomes both Slott and:

To be a super fascinating character.

Like, here's the thing, it would definitely be fair to say that Marvel is The House That Spidey Built. And it's easy to see why; he's a tragic, flawed character from the beginning and the first truly "teenage" superhero, defined more by his limitations then his abilities.

I love Spider-Man, and he's a great loving character, but he's also been around for 55 years. He's grown up, fell in love, gotten married, had a kid who was then miscarried, saw his girlfriend get killed (possibly due to his own actions), got a new suit, got possessed by that new suit, watched his aunt die, and then had all that retconned in a very, very regrettable storyline. He's been on virtually every superhero team, including the Fantastic Four, revealed his secret identity, and become a titan of industry. He met every alternate version of himself and they all teamed up to kill off multiversal cannibals. He even got killed, and possessed by one of his enemies in one of the most regrettable storylines in existence. gently caress, he even turned black.

The point being that they've mined virtually everything they reasonably could out of the character (some would argue they went past it). He's not Batman and he's not Superman, two characters defined as being stagnant. He's a teenager, he changes, he develops, but it's hard to see after 55 years of stories where they could reasonably go with him. I mean, he's still great, but he's not surprising and new like he was during the Silver Age.

Silk feels like a modern-day Spider-Man, in that her central conflict feels sophisticated and modern. She feels like a character created in the 21st century, even disregarding the silliness of her backstory or that she was invented as basically a retcon, she's a woman in her late twenties with deep, deep mental issues that plague her. That's new, in a way that Marvel's other attempts to make Spider-Man more modern - Spider-Gwen and Ultimate Spider-Man - haven't quite been able to accomplish. I love me some Miles Morales, but it often feels like he's addressing Peter Parker's stories from a different perspective, over how Cindy Moon feels totally and completely different.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Southern Bastards
Stray Bullets
Squirrel Girl
Island
whatever Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips' next book is

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Not be naive but this is still going on?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Yes and it's fuckin great

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but almost every single comic they have released has been great, and they have had very few stinkers.

Truthfully, very few have really caught me, but not in a way I thought they were bad. Even still, you can't really argue that it's harder to recreate a universe when given plenty of time to plan and hire than it is when you have an active, ongoing publishing schedule you need to maintain.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ferrule posted:

There was a ten year break in there.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I basically spend my months now wanting to read more Vision. The people around me are probably sick of hearing about the goddamn Vision. Vision is great.

Although I have to admit my main draw this week is that I want to find out what the dog's name is. What would the Visions name a perfectly normal dog for their perfectly normal family? I don't know! I want to know!

(And I know they did ask for reader suggestions. But I want to hear the explanation.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's the issue after next.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/724598106235482112
If you're hanging out for Vision, read his creator owned, Sheriff of Babylon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Omega Men
Sheriff of Babylon
Harrow County
Deadly Class
Monstress

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

BND is not exactly an example of good editing, regardless of how you feel about the stories themselves.

The creative logistics of it, I mean, which are very much an editorial responsibility. Wacker's office had to make sure they had enough moving through the pipeline from multiple creative teams working at different paces, to fulfill a pretty punishing release schedule. And they had some subplots and story arcs that unfolded through multiple creative teams, or which tied into spin-offs (American Son, I think, came during this). They had limited ability to push issues/arcs around the schedule to accommodate a slow team, so editorial needed a good sense of how quickly different creators worked, and how much advance time to build in to allow for someone breaking their drawing arm halfway through an issue, or something needed to get sent back for extensive rewriting, or whatever might happen.

All that stuff is absolutely amazing editing work, even if, as you say, other aspects of the editorial work were less impressive.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I basically spend my months now wanting to read more Vision. The people around me are probably sick of hearing about the goddamn Vision. Vision is great.

Although I have to admit my main draw this week is that I want to find out what the dog's name is. What would the Visions name a perfectly normal dog for their perfectly normal family? I don't know! I want to know!

Vido. :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vision's dog's name better be an incredibly long and convoluted acronym that spells a traditional dog name, like B.O.W.S.E.R. or F.I.D.O. or something. That sort of missing-the-point attempts at humanity filtered through their inhumanity that's the core of their comedy and tragedy.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

Seconding this - Sheriff of Babylon is fantastic.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's the issue after next.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/724598106235482112

Ah, that makes sense. And I'll have to check it out! I'm curious about his upcoming Batman, too.

There's basically a ton of stuff I'm trying to keep track of in my "Should Read?" list, and I have no idea what I'm likely to enjoy or what has a history of being bad/handled poorly, etc. I'm just grabbing whatever sounds interesting or shows up a lot in the recommendation thread at this point. It's an adventure!

E: And my suggestion for Normal Human Dog Name would be that Viv looks up the must common dog name and goes with that, because at this point more than any other it seems like they might be trying to get back to being an average American family before it's too late.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

The creative logistics of it, I mean, which are very much an editorial responsibility. Wacker's office had to make sure they had enough moving through the pipeline from multiple creative teams working at different paces, to fulfill a pretty punishing release schedule. And they had some subplots and story arcs that unfolded through multiple creative teams, or which tied into spin-offs (American Son, I think, came during this). They had limited ability to push issues/arcs around the schedule to accommodate a slow team, so editorial needed a good sense of how quickly different creators worked, and how much advance time to build in to allow for someone breaking their drawing arm halfway through an issue, or something needed to get sent back for extensive rewriting, or whatever might happen.

All that stuff is absolutely amazing editing work, even if, as you say, other aspects of the editorial work were less impressive.

Yeah, that was a Herculean effort by Wacker. Wacker was also the one who wanted Carol to become Captain Marvel. He deserves a huge pat on the back for that.

I'm also a fan of Tom Brevoort, and Tomasi.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm skimming, but he's just commenting on the way it's being reported, right?
Haven't clicked on the article he's pointing at as better journalism, but eh. The write up seems terribly hyperbolic.

It's The Outhousers, quelle surpise.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Edge & Christian posted:

Eddie Berganza worked on a lot of forgettable 1990s DC comics (he was assistant editor on GL when Kyle Rayner was introduced, was editor of Peter David's Aquaman book for awhile until editorial differences drove PAD off of the book, and edited Young Justice for awhile, that's pretty much anything anyone would remember of Berganza's editorship for the first ten years or so) and then pretty much single handedly discovered Geoff Johns (Johns was internning for Richard Donner and Eddie Berganza met him at Donner's office)

A lot of Johns's earliest work at DC was edited by Berganza's friend Peter Tomasi, but from the relaunch of Teen Titans on practically everything Johns wrote was edited by Tomasi. He also got to edit pretty much everything Loeb wrote in the mid 2000s, which pretty much comprises all of the "hits" that DC has had in the past decade. That's likely why he is considered so valuable at DC, especially considering that Johns is an executive now.

He also wrote the Teen Titans feature in Wednesday Comics, which I'm mentioning because it was one of the worst loving things I've ever read.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Ferrule posted:

Some of the stuff in the last few issues has been laugh out loud funny. Lapham is firing on all cylinders again.

My top five right now would be

Vision
Sheriff of Babylon
Stray Bullets
Southern Bastards
Deadly Class

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squizzle posted:

I don't know he had like five writers who told like five completely different stories which honestly didn't tie into each other very well. So I just don't see it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I liked how each writer had a potential love interest in mind and some outright sabotaged the budding romance with the competing love interests. That's a real sense of coordination the likes of which I haven't seen since that issue of Peter Parker: Spider-man where Peter said you'd have to basically be retarded to not recognize him with blonde hair and a different haircut.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where the gently caress is the next Island issue, did the furry issue kill it? :smith:

In no particular order, my 5:

Vision
Monstress
Wic+Div
Squirrel Girl
Prophet

Prez would be on there but it's in haitus til who knows when? :smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Gillen's run on Young Avengers.

That seriously might be my most favorite single-shot story arc. Like I love Hickman's "mega run" from Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to Secret Wars better, because it's a crazy epic, but when it comes to contained, "seasonal" storytelling Young Avengers did it better than pretty much everyone else. It came in, told a fantastic evolving story with love and loss and heartbreak, with an absolute ton of comedy sprinkled throughout to keep it light and make the emotive moments land, ended perfectly, and even had a literal party epilogue that sewed up whatever loose ends were lying around. In an industry focused on neverending storytelling (for obvious reasons) Gillen's Young Avengers run just came in, dropped in awesome story, and loving left. It was loving fantastic.

Also the art was loving incredible. Like Wiccan getting stuck in the panel only for young Loki to kick in the side of it to release him was some loving brilliant panel layout. The fight scenes to close out the run were all great, and basically everything about Mother's dimension used negative space and pure white to make it this creepy, haunting wrong place. And when Demiurge finally shows up and stands on every panel of the comic made up to that point, that entire layout idea was loving brilliant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toxxupation posted:

I finished Gillen's run on Young Avengers.

That seriously might be my most favorite single-shot story arc. Like I love Hickman's "mega run" from Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to Secret Wars better, because it's a crazy epic, but when it comes to contained, "seasonal" storytelling Young Avengers did it better than pretty much everyone else. It came in, told a fantastic evolving story with love and loss and heartbreak, with an absolute ton of comedy sprinkled throughout to keep it light and make the emotive moments land, ended perfectly, and even had a literal party epilogue that sewed up whatever loose ends were lying around. In an industry focused on neverending storytelling (for obvious reasons) Gillen's Young Avengers run just came in, dropped in awesome story, and loving left. It was loving fantastic.

Also the art was loving incredible. Like Wiccan getting stuck in the panel only for young Loki to kick in the side of it to release him was some loving brilliant panel layout. The fight scenes to close out the run were all great, and basically everything about Mother's dimension used negative space and pure white to make it this creepy, haunting wrong place. And when Demiurge finally shows up and stands on every panel of the comic made up to that point, that entire layout idea was loving brilliant.

McKelvie is a loving treasure.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

McKelvie is a loving treasure.

He is, only thing that annoys me at times is his same-y faces and expressions. But he makes it more than up with layouts, clothes and set pieces.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I liked how each writer had a potential love interest in mind and some outright sabotaged the budding romance with the competing love interests. That's a real sense of coordination the likes of which I haven't seen since that issue of Peter Parker: Spider-man where Peter said you'd have to basically be retarded to not recognize him with blonde hair and a different haircut.

Or the two consecutive issues of Sensational Spider-Man where Peter talks to Aunt May via seance & God Himself, both telling him to accept her death and move on right before the arc that involved him selling his marriage to the devil to save her life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or the two consecutive issues of Sensational Spider-Man where Peter talks to Aunt May via seance & God Himself, both telling him to accept her death and move on right before the arc that involved him selling his marriage to the devil to save her life.

I thought it was incredibly stupid that Peter called in Tony Stark and Reed Richards and they both told him that somehow science couldn't fix the incurable OLD LADY BEING SHOT. There's nothing they could do about it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

I thought it was incredibly stupid that Peter called in Tony Stark and Reed Richards and they both told him that somehow science couldn't fix the incurable OLD LADY BEING SHOT. There's nothing they could do about it.

That's because the entirety of OMD is basically set dressing for Joe Quesada telling the readers 'I'm getting rid of the marriage (and writing MJ out of the book), because I say so'. It was basically the endgame ever since he got in the big chair (since he'd accomplished the two other things he wanted - making mutants a minority again & making heroes stop trusting each other - with House of M & Civil War).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

(since he'd accomplished the two other things he wanted - making mutants a minority again & making heroes stop trusting each other - with House of M & Civil War).

Haha, what? I knew about the OMD thing (I mean who doesn't at this point?) but adding this makes Quesada sound like a supervillain. "All these heroes are just too drat happy! I'll show them! I'll show them ALLLLL!"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Where was Frank/what was he doing before Welcome Back, Frank?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Volcott posted:

Where was Frank/what was he doing before Welcome Back, Frank?

An undead angel with divine guns who would shoot the demons responsible for his family's deaths.

Sorry you asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

muscles like this? posted:

You actually do need to check these things with the authorities on the issue.

• Locked thread