Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mllaneza posted:

How about "a network that is an unholy amalgamation of poorly integrated copper acquired from competitors even less competent" ?

Which is to say, it would be wrong not to.

And somehow they're better than Centurylink here, and our only local ISP has a phone number that's disconnected on their contact page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo why am I still finding Xserves with production workloads on :psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mllaneza posted:

How about "a network that is an unholy amalgamation of poorly integrated copper acquired from competitors even less competent" ?

Which is to say, it would be wrong not to.

On the upside, from what I've heard their actual networking geeks are really drat good. That talent just gets lost somewhere between design and implementation.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Currently pissing me off is a boss who changes his mind on allowing me to do something that would help with my sleeping disorder. As I've mentioned in these threads before, due to a sleeping disorder I get about 5 hours of sleep a night, and have to make up sleep on the weekend, resulting in growing sleep deprivation over the course of the week. A project manager(who I've had lots of disagreements with in the past) brought up the possibility of having me work night shifts 1 or 2 day a week, which would help prevent me being extremely sleep deprived by Friday, and my boss agreed that it could be a good idea. Tonight was going to sort of be a test run for it, as my boss wanted me here for an automated process we run nightly at 9:30 and we had a major software release over the weekend.

I got here exactly on schedule today, only to have him tell me as soon as I got here that he had changed his mind about letting me work evenings in the future for no real reason. I seriously dislike my manager at this point.

Today felt so good too. You have no idea how it feels to wake up for work for once and not have to drag yourself out of bed, and stumble around half asleep trying to get ready for work while feeling miserable. I got up a couple hours before I had to be inside, giving me plenty of time to get a couple things done before I could leisurely get ready for work, having plenty of time and not having to rush through everything to get out the door.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A contractor setting up a VPN that I'm handholding, in response to a question about the setup: "I'm a bit of a network wizard. I just run the wizards to set up everything up." I went from a smile to frown pretty fast and I think he noticed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A lot of people who end up in management get really weird about anything other than a 9-5 shift. Where I'm at they hemmed and hawed for almost two years about whether to allow the "9/80" schedule which gives people every other Friday off for working 9 hours the rest of the time.

So when they finally announced their awesome progressive flexible work schedule, it came with like 20 pages of rules and restrictions and a warning it was a pilot program that could be terminated at any time if they felt it wasn't working.

End result, no one uses the system and no one is better off.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

People should not be getting excited about 2 days off :(

I just started at this job and I don't get overtime, but they made it clear any extra time I work I can bank.

I've banked almost a weeks worth of time so far, so I can at least have a mini vacation if I want to.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Migishu posted:

I just started at this job and I don't get overtime, but they made it clear any extra time I work I can bank.

I've banked almost a weeks worth of time so far, so I can at least have a mini vacation if I want to.

My point is that we should be able to take that mini vacation if we need it, and not have to worry about banking time, or getting sick preventing us from taking that vacation. I've been in positions where I was happy to get sick, because it was time off(and this was a job I liked other than lack of time off)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

I've been in help desk IT for over a year, and had to deal with my mother forgetting how to interpret her own handwritten notes for a decade, and I can't believe I've never loving heard of this program until now. You have just made my goddamn life so much easier, holy poo poo.

Same here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

My point is that we should be able to take that mini vacation if we need it, and not have to worry about banking time, or getting sick preventing us from taking that vacation. I've been in positions where I was happy to get sick, because it was time off(and this was a job I liked other than lack of time off)

Most of us can, as far as I know. I know I have a multi-week vacation planned this summer, and I have more than enough time left for being sick (I also have short-term or long-term coverage if it's really serious). I'm also getting crazy comp time built up because we're in crunch time for two major in-flight projects nearing completion so I'll probably have enough for another week or two in the fall if I want.

Part of this is negotiating this kind of thing at hire and some is just plain seniority. If you feel trapped and burnt out, find a better place to work and try to negotiate it at hire.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Owners' kid works here and is pushing for the 9/80 thing. They'll never allow it but at least he's trying

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol you guys get a set amount of vacation days.

I take days off when I want because I work at a company that doesn't treat their employees like poo poo. I also work around 30 hours a week. So long as I meet or exceed timelines nobody cares.

Also holy poo poo I forgot some companies have a set amount of sick days. What in the gently caress? I work in a right to work state and my company hasn't ever told me I have to drag my nasty sick rear end into work if I am sick. Jesus, stop working for terrible companies!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 26, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes it's the employee's fault for not landing the 1 in 1000 positions in their commute range that treat workers like valued assets. It's cool to not pay bills for a year to hold out for the dream job.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've had one job that didn't have a set # of sick days. If you took more than like 10 sick days total throughout the year you would get written up for it and it would be severely held against you come review time. They eventually decided to drop the "no set amount" thing and gave a very generous 15 days...that you still got in trouble for if you used more than half of them.

I hate the thing my last 2 employers have done where you don't have actual sick days, if you have to take a day off from being sick it is taken out of your vacation time.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If only there were some way for workers to join together in some kind of collective group to negotiate better conditions with employers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Varkk posted:

If only there were some way for workers to join together in some kind of collective group to negotiate better conditions with employers.

That works for a while, then the unions turn into the enemy. You're always getting hosed by someone, somewhere. The only way to win is get lucky, make a pile of money and get out of the system.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

how come everyone on these forums posting about us employment confuses "at will" and "right to work"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

how come everyone on these forums posting about us employment confuses "at will" and "right to work"

Because no one anywhere gets it right.

ratbert90 posted:

I take days off when I want because I work at a company that doesn't treat their employees like poo poo. I also work around 30 hours a week. So long as I meet or exceed timelines nobody cares.

Also holy poo poo I forgot some companies have a set amount of sick days. What in the gently caress? I work in a right to work state and my company hasn't ever told me I have to drag my nasty sick rear end into work if I am sick. Jesus, stop working for terrible companies!

Oh neat, is that company hiring thousands of people?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Because it is a system designed to be as confusing as possible to employees in order to keep them from realizing what a poo poo system it is for them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xzzy posted:

Yes it's the employee's fault for not landing the 1 in 1000 positions in their commute range that treat workers like valued assets. It's cool to not pay bills for a year to hold out for the dream job.

Also not every position is project-based.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

xzzy posted:

That works for a while, then the unions turn get made into the enemy. You're always getting hosed by someone, somewhere at the top, or whose name is over the front door. The only way to win by US gently caress-you-got-mine standards is get lucky, make a pile of money and get out of the system, but for those of us in countries that still have empathy, you can come in a comfortable second or third or even tenth by working with your colleagues to improve everyone's lot. This does take a modicum of effort, but no pain, no gain!

ftfy

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Might have found a pretty major bug that will no doubt lead to a CAPA and full investigation! :smithcloud:

Rexxed posted:

"I'm a bit of a network wizard. I just run the wizards to set up everything up."

Hello new Lync status.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Marketing manager doesn't understand that web designers need to know loving HTML

"He has dreamweaver on his resume"

Then you go to their 'about me' website the college makes them do and it looks like a Tripod site. Good lord.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Marketing manager doesn't understand that web designers need to know loving HTML
To be fair neither do a lot of people calling themselves web designers.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Unions don't work like that in the US. They are a political interest that is separate from their members' interests and, where the unions are entrenched, it is usually quite hard to oust a union that isn't serving the needs of the union workers.

In addition, there are a large number of high-profile cases where unions throw their weight around and create an outcome significantly worse than what the company was offering - usually because the unions' own goals weren't being served like they wanted. Unions only work where the leadership actively work with company management to ensure that union employees are being taken care of. You can see this with smaller unions, but as soon as they start to merge ('for bargaining power'), they lose this mind set and start politicking for their own gain instead.

US unions are scum and have nothing in common with their European brethren in terms of how they operate and what effect they have on the labor market.

I speak as someone who has been on all three sides of multiple US unions: A union member, an employee in a place where other employees were unionized, and as a manager working 'with' unions.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Thanks Ants posted:

Holy poo poo why am I still finding Xserves with production workloads on :psyduck:

Aesthetic IT

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Arsten posted:

Unions don't work like that in the US. They are a political interest that is separate from their members' interests and, where the unions are entrenched, it is usually quite hard to oust a union that isn't serving the needs of the union workers.

In addition, there are a large number of high-profile cases where unions throw their weight around and create an outcome significantly worse than what the company was offering - usually because the unions' own goals weren't being served like they wanted. Unions only work where the leadership actively work with company management to ensure that union employees are being taken care of. You can see this with smaller unions, but as soon as they start to merge ('for bargaining power'), they lose this mind set and start politicking for their own gain instead.

US unions are scum and have nothing in common with their European brethren in terms of how they operate and what effect they have on the labor market.

I speak as someone who has been on all three sides of multiple US unions: A union member, an employee in a place where other employees were unionized, and as a manager working 'with' unions.
Gee, maybe their political gain involves things that benefit you after a while? And just a guess here, but did you grow up in the 80s?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Arsten posted:

I'm just glad they work in the UK. I just YOTJ'd :yotj: to a management position in another part of my employer, offered a point on the salary scale accepted all good. 2 work days before I start HR get involved and start making the offer a lot less beneficial to me and effectively forcing me to give up some extra hours I work. Effectively a pay cut to start a new "better" job. Rang the union they contact HR and negotiate and its all resolved pending final paperwork, I give up the hours and the pay stays the same thank you.

First time I've had to involve a union after working for 20 years, glad I pay my subs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

An Angry Bug posted:

Gee, maybe their political gain involves things that benefit you after a while? And just a guess here, but did you grow up in the 80s?

Did you really just use the trickle down theory of union dues? Unions somehow benefiting people in a roundabout and almost accidental fashion by supporting candidates solely to serve their own self-interest is not a good thing for anyone who isn't running the union or in office.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AlternateAccount posted:

Did you really just use the trickle down theory of union dues? Unions somehow benefiting people in a roundabout and almost accidental fashion by supporting candidates solely to serve their own self-interest is not a good thing for anyone who isn't running the union or in office.

So are we objecting to US unions donating and supporting to the Democratic Party here or something else? Because, honestly, I'm not sure how you can blame unions for supporting one party when the other has spent the past 3 decades demonizing unions and attempting to eliminate them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Thing pissing me off today: an admin at a other company in our network changed an external DNS entry for owa/active sync. Broke phone access from 5pm until just now.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Pissing me off. Agent desktop software gets installed this week. It's so exciting! We get to login to our phones and take calls!

The people affected are all highly technical engineers, and the company is not providing any information to us besides how to use the new app. The training is going to be fun because there will be some drone there telling us how to login and our questions will be along the lines of 'why are we being demoted to call center agents?'

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

ratbert90 posted:

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/entitlement

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

quote:

Other aspects of holiday entitlement
Workers have the right to:

get paid for leave
build up (‘accrue’) holiday entitlement during maternity, paternity and adoption leave
build up holiday entitlement while off work sick
request holiday at the same time as sick leave

Wait... if you're sick on a holiday, you get to accrue that day for later?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gounads posted:

That sounds logical. If you're sick, you're not really in a position to "enjoy" a holiday, per se.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gounads posted:

A paid day off is still a paid day.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gounads posted:

You pay for the vacation time with sick time instead so it's not like you've gained anything. Just trading labels for the appeasement of HR

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo pissing me off : IBM i series.

It won't install! It gets to the last bit and then rolls it back! A simple upgrade takes over a loving hour. I'm going to call IBM when I've cooled off a bit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd rather take my chances with a US union than a US corporation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

go3 posted:

I'd rather take my chances with a US union than a US corporation

They can both be equally poo poo, I worked doing shipping/receiving/packing at a warehouse for phone systems and was part of their union. Got laid off with 220+ other people while the union guys kept telling us for months beforehand that "no layoffs were happening" and "the company is restructuring". Yep, that was the day I learned that restructuring, reorganizing, and layoff are all the same loving thing. I still want to find the 3 rear end in a top hat union members who lied to everyone's face and drown them in a kiddie pool of hot diarrhea.