Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
No, I got out of Internet spaceships a couple years ago, I just hang around jabber/forums to keep up on current events and bullshit with swoleswarm. Glad to hear you've been keeping active, I'm doing similar with my diet right now.

Had today off from work, it was nice to not have to deal with a crowded gym for a change. I'm almost back to my old 5RMs. Gonna throw chicken and steak at my face to celebrate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey I was an eve dork at one point too, I miss the old jabber and teamspeak lobby crew. RIP roy of CA and vilerat

I think I played 10x as much CS gun game and red orchestra than I did actually play eve, which I only logged in to scam people and PVP.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The Mountain's Bulk Game is Strong.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
*deliriously wakes up in the middle of the night, grabs raw egg from nightstand, stuffs it in mouth and falls back asleep*

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Dude, how does he fit a workout in between all the pooping?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Acelerion posted:

Dude, how does he fit a workout in between all the pooping?

toiletrack

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Chinatown posted:

I don't see any AAS??????

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

dill pickles count as a vegetable right

that pickle juice is better than Gatorade I'll tell you what

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

can someone do a side by side breakdown of the mountain vs the rock by food intake?

TIA

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Syano posted:

when you sit down on the ground, are you able to hyper-extend your knee? A healthy knee joint should be able to hyper extend a bit. You will know you are doing int because your hamstrings will stay on the ground but your heel will come up maybe a half inch or so off the floor.

I was expecting not to be able to from tight hamstrings or something, but yeah I did it no problem. I deadlifted tonight, started to feel that slight twinge in my knee, then stopped and held a couple of stretches for like 30 seconds and was fine. at this point i'm positive it's just tightness and my body is just being stubborn. When I started working out the first time last year, I had bad tight hamstrings and my lower back would hurt from deadlifts. I had thought my form was horrible or something but it turned out to be muscle tightness and it seriously took about a solid 2 or 3 weeks of regular stretching before it seemed to let up for good.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I was expecting not to be able to from tight hamstrings or something, but yeah I did it no problem. I deadlifted tonight, started to feel that slight twinge in my knee, then stopped and held a couple of stretches for like 30 seconds and was fine. at this point i'm positive it's just tightness and my body is just being stubborn. When I started working out the first time last year, I had bad tight hamstrings and my lower back would hurt from deadlifts. I had thought my form was horrible or something but it turned out to be muscle tightness and it seriously took about a solid 2 or 3 weeks of regular stretching before it seemed to let up for good.

Are you doing any warmup sets, or any walking/running or anything prior to doing your working sets?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Are you doing any warmup sets, or any walking/running or anything prior to doing your working sets?

I always warm up with the bar and ramp up. For squats it's usually a couple of stretches like a hamstring stretch and the couch stretch, I hold them for 15-25 seconds each. (Although when my knee hurt the other day I slacked off and only did one quick 10 second stretch assuming my weight warmup would suffice). Then when I do that, I start with the empty bar, then 95 lbs, then 115 lbs, then my work weight. When my work weight was lower and I started at 115, it was the bar, 65, 95, then work weight, etc.

But like I said, when I had the knee issue last time, it actually did it on the first warmup with just the bar, so I doubt it's a matter of too much weight. My knee either feels tight, and hurts too much to squat, or it doesn't at all.

E: no walking or running. I workout after a 10 hour shift of walking around all night, so gently caress that. Also I never warmed up by running/walking last year when I lifted and had no issues.

E2: For further clarification, my nightly "mobility drill" is basically just foam rolling my quads, hamstrings, IT band, glutes, back and shoulders, and a couple of hamstring stretches and couch stretch. They had actually seemed to work pretty good, I had gone 2 or 3 workouts squatting with no knee issues. Like I said earlier, I think I just hosed up by skimping on my warmup stretches before the workout that day. Also probably need to do a real mobility routine with more than 2 kinds of stretches. Going to do the Limber 11 thing once I get my lacrosse ball.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I always warm up with the bar and ramp up. For squats it's usually a couple of stretches like a hamstring stretch and the couch stretch, I hold them for 15-25 seconds each. (Although when my knee hurt the other day I slacked off and only did one quick 10 second stretch assuming my weight warmup would suffice). Then when I do that, I start with the empty bar, then 95 lbs, then 115 lbs, then my work weight. When my work weight was lower and I started at 115, it was the bar, 65, 95, then work weight, etc.

But like I said, when I had the knee issue last time, it actually did it on the first warmup with just the bar, so I doubt it's a matter of too much weight. My knee either feels tight, and hurts too much to squat, or it doesn't at all.

E: no walking or running. I workout after a 10 hour shift of walking around all night, so gently caress that. Also I never warmed up by running/walking last year when I lifted and had no issues.

Could be that the ten hour shifts are fatiguing, and your legs don't have enough time to recover in between work and weights. That's just a guess on my part - might be an idea to see a doctor.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, like I said I'm going to give the stretching and mobility stuff one more try and then I'll see a doctor. It's not a bad pain or anything that feels serious, basically it goes away as soon as I knock off whatever flared it up. And I know I'm no doctor myself but the PFS stuff seems to match my issues perfectly and from what I read stretching is basically the cure for the more minor cases of it because it stems from muscle tightness or imbalance.

e: as far as working out after a 10 hour shift, I can try to maybe go before work but that's honestly what made me quit working out when I got this job. Although I'm used to all the hours now, so it may be easier. I can at least try to do it some days.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Do any of you swole mutha grabbers bother with any kind of protein bars? Just wanted to hear what anyone might grab to eat when you have little time to take in those bulking calories and you don't have time to prepare a full 7 course meal between reps. Or does anyone make their own protein bars because I know the packaged stuff is usually loaded with sugars.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I've yet to find one of those bars that isn't 50% sugar by calories.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

I eat Oh Yeah! One bars--20g protein and 10g fiber (plus 11g maltitol to fuel my squat propulsion system)

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I carry a cute purse for my nuts

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Hardawn posted:

I carry a cute purse for my nuts

drat. I should get one of those. I just use a sack from the grocery store.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wamdoodle posted:

Do any of you swole mutha grabbers bother with any kind of protein bars? Just wanted to hear what anyone might grab to eat when you have little time to take in those bulking calories and you don't have time to prepare a full 7 course meal between reps. Or does anyone make their own protein bars because I know the packaged stuff is usually loaded with sugars.

You could try MyProtein's cookies http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-cookie/11027529.html - 38g protein, 10g fat (4g saturates) and 20g carbohydrates (of which only 7g are sugars), for a total of 320 calories.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you might as well just drink whey if you're looking for some quick fuel

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Zzulu posted:

you might as well just drink whey if you're looking for some quick fuel

Seriouspost time. Yeah I was looking for something to take for pre workouts. I like to leave breakfast and protein smoothie for post workout. I bet the next thing someone says is make the smoothie the pre workout but I like using it as the "dessert" to the breakfast :saddowns:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
You could mix unflavored whey with a crushed up caffeine pills + some other stuff and have a pwo drink if that makes you feel better

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Hardawn posted:

You could mix unflavored whey with a crushed up caffeine pills + some other stuff and have a pwo drink if that makes you feel better

drat, that'll get the blood flowing.

Another open question. How many grams of protein do you take in per day?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I usually do two scoops, which is 60g. I get a lot of protein for breakfast and dinner so the protein drink is for infusin some protein into my protein-less lunchess

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, that'll get the blood flowing.

Another open question. How many grams of protein do you take in per day?

General rule of thumb is 1g per lb bodyweight - most studies suggest that it's a bit more than you need, but it's easy to remember.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My PWO is 1 scoop whey with added bcaa powder plus a separate PWO caffeine mix (legion pulse, 1 scoop).

Post is 1 scoop whey, 1 serving mct oil, 10g creatine.

That is all the protein supplements I do currently, currently rolling 155g protein at approx 2350 calories per day with 25g net carbs.

Been on this for about a month and still making ok gains, although the first 2 weeks was harsh. Mosty just wanted to see if this keto poo poo was just woo woo bullshit but so far it's not bad.

On weekend recovery day I usually go all out and stack bacon on bacon and sausage and steak all in vats of butter, which owns.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Your body isn't going to metabolise anything you eat just before a workout in time to make a difference in that workout unless you're dosing pure sugar. and/or haven't eaten all day beforehand.

So dose pure sugar and caffeine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Unless you're diabetic.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

soy posted:

My PWO is 1 scoop whey with added bcaa powder plus a separate PWO caffeine mix (legion pulse, 1 scoop).

Post is 1 scoop whey, 1 serving mct oil, 10g creatine.

That is all the protein supplements I do currently, currently rolling 155g protein at approx 2350 calories per day with 25g net carbs.

Been on this for about a month and still making ok gains, although the first 2 weeks was harsh. Mosty just wanted to see if this keto poo poo was just woo woo bullshit but so far it's not bad.

On weekend recovery day I usually go all out and stack bacon on bacon and sausage and steak all in vats of butter, which owns.

youre wasting your money on the bcaa powder

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this_is_hard posted:

youre wasting your money on the bcaa powder

I know I bought some a while back and it was just sitting there unused so I started putting it in my poo poo... I am sure it has little to no effect.

Also I wouldn't advise anyone to follow my diet or anything I do at all. All I'd say is, whatever you do do, quantify your inputs and outputs and make your own decisions based on what works best for you.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to have the Bro-ard revoke your license if you keep making comments like that.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
I've got a tub of 5 year old BCAAs that tasted horrendous the one time I drank them. Like taking the chalk powder from a 30 year old chalk board and mixing in water.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/QzHDcQQ.mp4

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
What's going on in that pic

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Alpha poo poo

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
If you ain't the lead wolf the view never changes :smuggo:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
oh it wasnt a gif on my phone, now i see

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

its not leg day today, but i think im going to try that out anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Quitting/Reducing sugar intake is the worst loving poo poo I've ever done. And I've had to quit subutex (as a painkiller). gently caress me. Im crashing so hard it's not even funny after the gym. I hate this so much.

• Locked thread