Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I've been streaming from my server to a Moto G so I can listen while I work. I'm not playing the movies I've added to the server, rather I'm using the built-in channels to watch TV shows that I've recorded recently, partially because I can't actually watch what's playing (so I'm not bothering with movies,) and this works better than using my Slingbox to stream stuff from the DVR. Anyways, the player has been acting a little strange, but only occasionally: it will play the next "chapter" in the stream but start it at anywhere from one to two minutes in. More specifically, I've been watching The Nightly Show via the Comedy Central channel, and it's nice because it completely cuts out the commercials, but each segment is separated into the aforementioned "chapters" rather than being a single ~22-minute video. When one segment finishes, sometimes the next one will buffer and play as expected (i.e. at the beginning) and other times it skips forward a little bit, without user input. Anyone seen this before? It's a little annoying because it requires more user interaction in what is otherwise the desired hands-off experience, and I haven't been able to play around with other devices or channels due to this being at work.

thegasman2000 posted:

I decided running Windows 7 on an old desktop wasn't ideal for my plex server build. I am therefore looking into alternative operating systems and Freenas is the current winner. Anything else I should look at? Want it for a torrent box and plex server mainly. Perhaps time machine backups too.

Wasn't ideal in what way? Mine is running on Win10, and it's perfect because I also use it for Handbrake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Firstly it's an old desktop and running Windows take a certain amount of its cpu and ram I could use for transcoding. Also it's a pain in the rear end as it keeps hibernating even though I specifically turned that off! I want something super resource light as its an old core duo. 2gb ram :(

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Firstly it's an old desktop and running Windows take a certain amount of its cpu and ram I could use for transcoding. Also it's a pain in the rear end as it keeps hibernating even though I specifically turned that off! I want something super resource light as its an old core duo. 2gb ram :(

Ah, well, really old hardware is going to be limiting regardless of OS. You could at least add a little more RAM (4 GB total would be fine for a machine of that age) and maybe OC the CPU.

I mentioned Win10 which is surprisingly pleasant to use, and runs well on old hardware. I have it running on a grab-bag $150 laptop (HP 630) that's about 5 years old now and it's a solid backup/throwaway machine with 4 GB of RAM (I'm currently using this laptop to rip my DVD collection and it's perfect for the task.)

I also was able to upgrade to Win10 on an ancient netbook (Gateway LT31) which is approaching seven years old and is I believe the oldest machine I have that was eligible for the upgrade. It's still slow, but Win10 actually runs better than Win7 on it.

With that in mind, you might as well try the upgrade on your old system, it's free since you've at least got a license for Win7. It will most likely run better than your current OS, and if you're going to wipe it anyway to install FreeNAS or Ubuntu or whatever then it wouldn't have hurt to try.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

Firstly it's an old desktop and running Windows take a certain amount of its cpu and ram I could use for transcoding. Also it's a pain in the rear end as it keeps hibernating even though I specifically turned that off! I want something super resource light as its an old core duo. 2gb ram :(t

Freenas isn't what you want - it's designed for better hardware. Officially 8GB of ram is the minimum (and below 4GB several features get disabled that result in very poor performance).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

CPU performance is usually within the margin of error between all OSes. You may be able to lower your memory footprint but it's unlikely this will get you any extra performance as a dual-core will run two threads only, which won't be using a lot of RAM. Even on a quad-core, PLEX only uses about 200-300mb per 720 transcode in my experience.

You can save yourself the re-install by digging into the power options and finding out why it's sleeping, or just use caffeine to keep it awake.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Creature posted:

My biggest annoyance is when the episodes are in production order on the dvd, but the TVDB has them in broadcast order. You can't choose which order to match with, so everything is mislabelled unless you rename the files. Ripping TV DVDs is a real arse of a job sometimes.

My second biggest annoyance is that the Monty Python's Flying Circus set has been encoded so strangely that Handbrake can't read them, even if I rip them to the HDD first.

You can get a TVDB DVD order plugin for Plex to fix the first issue, although the On deck next episode is always based on the airdate rather than season/episode order. You can fix that by manually changing the airdate details though.

Dsmif fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 7, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

Is it hibernating or sleeping/suspending? Those are two different options. If you see a ${RAM_SIZE} %SYSTEMROOT%\hiberfil.sys (c:\hiberfil.sys, it's a hidden file) then it's possible to hibernate. Which version of windows?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've been running into a weird problem with the last few releases. If I pause a file in the web client. When I hit start again it either forgets my place or jumps to a new episode. I want to say it's been doing this with the last 2 releases.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CEC is definitely flaky as gently caress. it seems to work perfectly the first time and then any time after that it is a total wash.

my ATVv4 worked fine when I first configured it but any time after that it will either not work at all or only turn the TV on and not change to the correct input and then not turn the TV off.

it seems like such a simple thing to standardise and have work but none of the big name brands (apple, sony, samung) devices in my experience get it right.

at least the xbox one IR blasting has never let me down.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Plex is making me grumpy. I have a 2tb HDD that was full of my B-grade movies. Horror, Kung fu, sci Fi etc. many of these titles are difficult to identify using the plex scanners, but I had taken the time to fix all of them, and change the poster art on many of them. I recently picked up a 5tb at Costco because the 2tb was packed. I was worried that I would have to go through that whole tedious process of renaming and identifying again. To avoid the problem, I moved all the movies to the new drive, then added that directory to Plex, causing each movie to show up a duplicate. I did this in purpose thinking it would see the file names and know these titles were already in the library, and show them as duplicates, rather than misidentifying them and creating new entries. It didn't work. What makes things worse is that I have NFO files and locally stored cover art. When I used XBMC/KODI a few years back, I had used EMBY to manage the collection. I did all this work once, and if I ever made changes to KODI, I knew the library would remain intact. Plex, unfortunately, doesn't support local stored metadata. Before you tell me "yes it does, just set the scanner to local"; I have tried that, it doesn't work. Now my B movie folder is all jacked up... Again. I have the same issue with the rest of my library. I have my James Bond collection all organized by year, with the original poster art used. If I move it to a larger HDD, the organization will get lost.

PLEASE PLEX, support local metadata.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure how well it always works, but when I was in a similar position I made entries on one of the external scanners that Plex uses for things it didn't have that I wanted info and art for.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Plex is making me grumpy. I have a 2tb HDD that was full of my B-grade movies. Horror, Kung fu, sci Fi etc. many of these titles are difficult to identify using the plex scanners, but I had taken the time to fix all of them, and change the poster art on many of them. I recently picked up a 5tb at Costco because the 2tb was packed. I was worried that I would have to go through that whole tedious process of renaming and identifying again. To avoid the problem, I moved all the movies to the new drive, then added that directory to Plex, causing each movie to show up a duplicate. I did this in purpose thinking it would see the file names and know these titles were already in the library, and show them as duplicates, rather than misidentifying them and creating new entries. It didn't work. What makes things worse is that I have NFO files and locally stored cover art. When I used XBMC/KODI a few years back, I had used EMBY to manage the collection. I did all this work once, and if I ever made changes to KODI, I knew the library would remain intact. Plex, unfortunately, doesn't support local stored metadata. Before you tell me "yes it does, just set the scanner to local"; I have tried that, it doesn't work. Now my B movie folder is all jacked up... Again. I have the same issue with the rest of my library. I have my James Bond collection all organized by year, with the original poster art used. If I move it to a larger HDD, the organization will get lost.

PLEASE PLEX, support local metadata.

It sounds like it would've made more sense to add the new drive but change drive letters and leave the directory structure intact. Then the next time Plex started it should've seen the same "G:\Plex\Movies" or whatever directory and not bothered to scan for new files since it wouldn't have thought it was a new library.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Atomizer posted:

It sounds like it would've made more sense to add the new drive but change drive letters and leave the directory structure intact. Then the next time Plex started it should've seen the same "G:\Plex\Movies" or whatever directory and not bothered to scan for new files since it wouldn't have thought it was a new library.

That might've worked. Your suggestion further validates my point: personalizing metadata to your tastes is easily lost, unless you go through some sort of fuckery.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 18, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You don't need any fuckery, just hit the pen next to the library and change the file path. You kinda messed it up by trying something weird.

Wordier version on their site, including disabling the auto-trash just in case.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Khablam posted:

You don't need any fuckery, just hit the pen next to the library and change the file path. You kinda messed it up by trying something weird.

Wordier version on their site, including disabling the auto-trash just in case.

That is what I did. Added new drive. Moved content. Added new drive using pen. Let it scan. Removed old location using pen. I'll read the link now.

That sure looks like fuckery to me. But seriously, that looks like it might've worked. Again, this could all be avoided if they supported local metadata

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 18, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
there is a setting for local metadata. You hosed it up by continuing to not set it to default. Not a plex problem, sadly. also vvvv.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220717-Local-Media-Assets-TV-Shows

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

That sure looks like fuckery to me. But seriously, that looks like it might've worked. Again, this could all be avoided if they supported local metadata

Seems like this person was able to get Plex to scrape local metadata from their custom xml files: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/185606/how-to-scrape-plex-metadata-using-local-movie-xml-series-xml-and-tv-show-episode-name-xml

Have you tried that solution?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

notwithoutmyanus posted:

there is a setting for local metadata. You hosed it up by continuing to not set it to default. Not a plex problem, sadly. also vvvv.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220717-Local-Media-Assets-TV-Shows

to restate: " Before you tell me "yes it does, just set the scanner to local"; I have tried that, it doesn't work. "

Have you tried it?

teagone posted:

Seems like this person was able to get Plex to scrape local metadata from their custom xml files: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/185606/how-to-scrape-plex-metadata-using-local-movie-xml-series-xml-and-tv-show-episode-name-xml

Have you tried that solution?

No. I realized there may be 3rd party solutions. My original grip was that plex didnt do this natively.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 18, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cornjob posted:

Without wanting to disparage your preference, you seem to like local meta-data. PLEX doesn't. It would help you to look at how PLEX does things and not try to second-guess it based on how you think local data storage should work.

What you described isn't what I said or what the link says - you just want to re-point PLEX at the same files, in the new location. It'll then just match them back up and any metadata, local or not, will not be touched.
Your second-guessing made it assume they were all new titles (if I read you right) so of course it wouldn't assume custom overrulings of it's matches / covers.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Khablam posted:

you seem to like local meta-data. PLEX doesn't.

You are right.

edit: Thank you for clarifying a few things.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

No. I realized there may be 3rd party solutions. My original grip was that plex didnt do this natively.

Well it does actually, it just doesn't work for you for whatever reason. Anecdotal, but I've been able to have Plex scrape up data for local extras no problem. That said, if a built-in component of the platform isn't working for you, why not try and use the 3rd party fix I linked? You seem to be reliant on local metadata, and for roughly 2 years or so, you have complained about Plex's inability to scrape your local media assets. Have any 3rd party solutions not worked for you? Or have you not even bothered with them?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Well it does actually, it just doesn't work for you for whatever reason. Anecdotal, but I've been able to have Plex scrape up data for local extras no problem. That said, if a built-in component of the platform isn't working for you, why not try and use the 3rd party fix I linked? You seem to be reliant on local metadata, and for roughly 2 years or so, you have complained about Plex's inability to scrape your local media assets. Have any 3rd party solutions not worked for you? Or have you not even bothered with them?

I have not complained for 2 years, but i did bring it up once before, 2 years ago. ( twice maybe). I put in the time back then to orginize my library using plex media server, and i havent thought about it again until over the weekend, when i added the new HDD. I havent bothered with the 3rd party stuff. My hope it that plex would have added this support by popular demand. I know im not the only one asking. I may be in the minority, but im ok with that.

Can you detail you setup for scraping local extras?

for example, mine is organized as such

Drive X: Folder named Alien. Within the folder is a file called Alien (1979).mkv. Then there is a Alien (1979).nfo file, and a few other .jpg files for poster and fanart. In plex media server, no combination of scanner or agent settings will use my local data.

PS: i hope i dont sound hostile... this is all good natured bitching about minor first world problems.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

I have not complained for 2 years, but i did bring it up once before, 2 years ago. ( twice maybe). I put in the time back then to orginize my library using plex media server, and i havent thought about it again until over the weekend, when i added the new HDD. I havent bothered with the 3rd party stuff. My hope it that plex would have added this support by popular demand. I know im not the only one asking. I may be in the minority, but im ok with that.

Can you detail you setup for scraping local extras?

for example, mine is organized as such

Drive X: Folder named Alien. Within the folder is a file called Alien (1979).mkv. Then there is a Alien (1979).nfo file, and a few other .jpg files for poster and fanart. In plex media server, no combination of scanner or agent settings will use my local data.

PS: i hope i dont sound hostile... this is all good natured bitching about minor first world problems.

Not hostile at all, its just there are proven solutions to your problem.I personally don't use .nfo files for information specific metadata (cast, actors, release date, etc.), I let Plex scrape that stuff from the web. But I do have a few custom posters and stuff like deleted scenes/featurettes for a handful of movies. They work on my end without the need for a 3rd party solution. For example, just now I grabbed super hi-res, textless posters for Avatar and Man of Steel from this thread on blu-ray.com: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220892

I renamed the files to poster.jpg and dropped them into the Avatar and Man of Steel folders in my drive pool. The hierarchy pointing to those posters being Z:\Movies\Avatar (2009)\poster.jpg and Z:\Movies\Man of Steel (2013)\poster.jpg

After I added the posters, I hit the 'refresh' button in the Plex web app for each entry, and the custom jpgs I added show up just fine alongside all the other posters when I hit the pen (edit) button to change the poster art. Do custom art assets simply NOT show up for you at all?

[edit] I just tried a couple backdrops for Avatar and Man of Steel. Renamed the jpgs to fanart.jpg, dropped them in their respective folders and refreshed. They also showed up just fine when I hit the edit/pen button and go to the 'Background' setting in each entry.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

My processor was just getting hosed up as hell while my girlfriend was "Direct Play"-ing something to the Chromecast. This is on an i7-4770k.

What am I missing, why would this be a thing?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Not hostile at all, its just there are proven solutions to your problem.I personally don't use .nfo files for information specific metadata (cast, actors, release date, etc.), I let Plex scrape that stuff from the web. But I do have a few custom posters and stuff like deleted scenes/featurettes for a handful of movies. They work on my end without the need for a 3rd party solution. For example, just now I grabbed super hi-res, textless posters for Avatar and Man of Steel from this thread on blu-ray.com: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220892

I renamed the files to poster.jpg and dropped them into the Avatar and Man of Steel folders in my drive pool. The hierarchy pointing to those posters being Z:\Movies\Avatar (2009)\poster.jpg and Z:\Movies\Man of Steel (2013)\poster.jpg

After I added the posters, I hit the 'refresh' button in the Plex web app for each entry, and the custom jpgs I added show up just fine alongside all the other posters when I hit the pen (edit) button to change the poster art. Do custom art assets simply NOT show up for you at all?

[edit] I just tried a couple backdrops for Avatar and Man of Steel. Renamed the jpgs to fanart.jpg, dropped them in their respective folders and refreshed. They also showed up just fine when I hit the edit/pen button and go to the 'Background' setting in each entry.

I dont have each movie in its own folder. I have my movies grouped by collection. The "007" folder has all the james bond movies, for example. The mkvs are all in there, but not in subfolders.

Poster art works fine if i let plex scan TMDB, but it doesnt see the jpgs in the 007 folder, it just uses whatever tmdb is using. And it doesnt see the nfo file that has them organized under "Bond" and sorted chronologically.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 19, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bah. The 'sort by dvd order, not air order' plugin is great. The 'add subtitles automatically' plugin is great. But they don't seem to work together. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tatsuta Age posted:

My processor was just getting hosed up as hell while my girlfriend was "Direct Play"-ing something to the Chromecast. This is on an i7-4770k.

I'm sure I've read in this thread before that Direct Play sometimes comes up even when it's having to do some degree of work.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm sharing my Plex server with a friend who's accessing it from his laptop. Whenever he tries to run something, he gets an error message. On the server side, I get the message:

unable to listen for events

I'm unable to view videos if I log in to the web app as him from my home computer, but I can still access episodes through my Roku. It seems to be tied to his account or my sharing with his account in some specific way that I can't understand.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

I dont have each movie in its own folder. I have my movies grouped by collection. The "007" folder has all the james bond movies, for example. The mkvs are all in there, but not in subfolders.

That could be throwing Plex off I guess. I honestly can't think of any other reason why Plex wouldn't pick up any of your custom/local jpg files.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hah. All that bellyaching over what to buy, a good deal comes along on the newest TiVo Bolt so I picked it up. Plays things straight off the NAS only transcoding the audio which the Synology can keep up with it seems. I could likely get around that by copying an audio track the TiVo can direct play.

Pallando
Aug 15, 2001
WTF? I don't have stairs at my home!

Tatsuta Age posted:

The high cpu load is not from your girlfriend "Direct Play"-ing. It's a background process of the PLEX server generating video thumbnails for content, you recently added to your collection. Depending on what and how much you added, this can take pretty long. There's a switch somewhere in the server setting where you can tell the server at which times it can generate thumbnails so it doesn't interfere with your anime watching.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

My Plex server is coming along nicely. I'm at 300 titles and adding a couple dozen every day. It's still going to take a few months to finish ripping all the discs and to transcode them though. Interestingly, I'm running into a small number of unreadable DVDs; there's no correlation between age or brand of disc, and indeed most or all of the oldest (>10 years old) DVDs are fine. Nevertheless there's a failure rate of a few percent, for anyone curious. All the more reason to get rid of thousands of DVDs and have everything accessible on a single server.

One question though: does anyone use drive management software like Storage Spaces or DrivePool?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

My Plex server is coming along nicely. I'm at 300 titles and adding a couple dozen every day. It's still going to take a few months to finish ripping all the discs and to transcode them though. Interestingly, I'm running into a small number of unreadable DVDs; there's no correlation between age or brand of disc, and indeed most or all of the oldest (>10 years old) DVDs are fine. Nevertheless there's a failure rate of a few percent, for anyone curious. All the more reason to get rid of thousands of DVDs and have everything accessible on a single server.

One question though: does anyone use drive management software like Storage Spaces or DrivePool?

I use DrivePool. It's nothing fancy. Does what I need it to :) I got it for only like $15 though. It's up to $30 now.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I know this probably comes up all the time, but what do people like for your Plex server hardware? And do you guys all run them as just servers or as HTPCs as well?

I've got an HTPC I built 4 years ago with an i3 that was working fine for the most part until I finally got around to sharing my library. Now it can kind of chug when we're watching something at the same time someone else is streaming.

I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I should just upgrade the box, or buy/build something separate to act as the server portion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

I know this probably comes up all the time, but what do people like for your Plex server hardware? And do you guys all run them as just servers or as HTPCs as well?

I've got an HTPC I built 4 years ago with an i3 that was working fine for the most part until I finally got around to sharing my library. Now it can kind of chug when we're watching something at the same time someone else is streaming.

I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I should just upgrade the box, or buy/build something separate to act as the server portion.

The ideal setup is to have Plex Media Server installed on a dedicated machine that is only used for server duties, e.g., storing all your content, downloading all your content, transcoding, sharing, etc. and then have separate client devices (Rokus, HTPCs, Phones, Tablets, whatever) access it.

How many people are accessing your server remotely? Right now you can get a Dell PowerEdge T20 with a Xeon E3-1225 CPU, 4GB RAM, and a 1TB HDD for $249 after coupon and rebates: http://slickdeals.net/f/8666098-del...teSearchV2Algo1 You just need to add an OS.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

How many people are accessing your server remotely? Right now you can get a Dell PowerEdge T20 with a Xeon E3-1225 CPU, 4GB RAM, and a 1TB HDD for $249 after coupon and rebates: http://slickdeals.net/f/8666098-del...teSearchV2Algo1 You just need to add an OS.
I figured as much.

We're currently shared with 3 others, but we just started sharing with people about a month ago, so it might grow. I doubt more than a few would ever access it at a time though. Our library is pretty modest so far.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

I figured as much.

We're currently shared with 3 others, but we just started sharing with people about a month ago, so it might grow. I doubt more than a few would ever access it at a time though. Our library is pretty modest so far.

What's your internet upload speed? Even with a dedicated Plex server and good hardware, it'll still be a pretty lousy experience for anyone wanting to watch stuff from your server if your upload bandwidth can't sustain multiple 4-8Mbps streams.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

What's your internet upload speed? Even with a dedicated Plex server and good hardware, it'll still be a pretty lousy experience for anyone wanting to watch stuff from your server if your upload bandwidth can't sustain multiple 4-8Mbps streams.
Hmm. Yeah you're right. It looks like we've only got Comcast Performance with 5ish Mbps up. Guess we'll probably just have to keep the number of users in check.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Hmm. Yeah you're right. It looks like we've only got Comcast Performance with 5ish Mbps up. Guess we'll probably just have to keep the number of users in check.

5Mbps up is good for a single 4Mbps 720p stream. With the 3 remote users you have accessing your server now, you have to tell them to make sure they set the quality of their content to 1.5Mbps 480p playback in the event that all 3 of them access your server concurrently. That'll ensure they won't buffer.

Doing so, you probably wouldn't need a dedicated server then. A Core-i3 should have enough juice to transcode several 480p streams no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm using the 1.5mbit 480p setting for what I think is around a 26-28" TV in my bedroom (internet is shaky so just easiest to keep it low), and while it won't win any awards it's perfectly fine for that.