Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think rules are getting relaxed, rather publishers happen to be translating VNs that are somewhat explicit, but not to such a degree that Steam would have issue with them, which is spun into buzz for ~uncensored~ releases.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, as far as I can tell it's in the same boat as Kindred Spirits in that there are a couple of scenes with boobs in them but no genitals are shown.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell it's in the same boat as Kindred Spirits in that there are a couple of scenes with boobs in them but no genitals are shown.

Ah. I'm glad it's a start. I can be more lazy and only buy things on Steam so I have cloud saves and junk if the company supports it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ozmafia out in <3 days

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303290/

Are you ready to be a pretty princess? :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I was going to make a joke about Dorothy getting involved in organised crime, but apparently that's actually what it's about. Go figure.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FractalSandwich posted:

I was going to make a joke about Dorothy getting involved in organised crime, but apparently that's actually what it's about. Go figure.

Otome games man.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Happy almost first birthday, Higurashi re-releases

We're only at like...2 out of 11, but hey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Root Double will go live on Steam at midnight JST on 28 April.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Midjack posted:

Root Double will go live on Steam at midnight JST on 28 April.

It's out now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438130

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I'm looking forward to seeing impressions about this, the premise is 100% my jam but 30$ is a bit above my impulse-buy threshold. The art also seems kinda "ehhhh".

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

voltcatfish posted:

Happy almost first birthday, Higurashi re-releases

We're only at like...2 out of 11, but hey.

Post\Av Combo perfection for this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The "Senses" system for Root Double is really loving weird.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I failed the tutorial three times until I realized they wanted me to use the keyboard arrows to increment/decrement numbers. It is dumb. It's very obvious just a way to do a binary choice but look it's not a binary choice, you have to input "sense numbers". Maybe up ahead it becomes so complicated you have to increment/decrement like five characters at once and that wouldn't work as a binary choice, but I looked at a guide and it seems to be mostly if not always "add more to one person, remove from another".

Also, I picked A route first because it's supposed to be the best part of the game, but so far, it's all rather clunky from art to the way the story is portrayed. I don't think I'd recommend this VN for people just coming from more popular ones like Steins;Gate. But hey, it's the beginning, maybe it will get much better later on.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

There's a lot of VNS on sale during the Anime game sale on Steam if anyone is curious about them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alder posted:

There's a lot of VNS on sale during the Anime game sale on Steam if anyone is curious about them.
I looked at the list of everything that's on sale, and I think I've already played every visual novel on Steam that I'm remotely interested in, which is a bummer if it's true, because you can count them on one hand.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The "Senses" system for Root Double is really loving weird.

Yeah, I've been struggling with it a little. Your score for a character is meant to be your "regard" for them, but it often seems to be unclear whether that's "how much respect you have for them" or "how much you care about their safety".

There are a load of choices in route A along the lines of "Should A or B do this difficult and dangerous task?". If you score A higher than B, it seems like sometimes that will result in you giving the task to A because you know they can do it, and sometimes it'll result in you giving the task to B because you don't want to put A at risk. It's a bit frustrating.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Alder posted:

Any recommendations? I have pretty much only played stuff on Vita.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Clannad is the big one. Higurashi is also highly acclaimed, but being incomplete I have no idea if just the two episodes available are worth diving in.

And, uh, Hatoful Boyfriend is certainly an experience. God knows if there's anything else worthwhile on Steam VN-wise.

I'm enjoying Root Double more now that I'm getting further into the story of Route A. That isn't on sale, though, of course. It just came out two days ago.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Saoshyant posted:

And, uh, Hatoful Boyfriend is certainly an experience. God knows if there's anything else worthwhile on Steam VN-wise.

Hatoful Boyfriend is fantastic, and everyone should play it, because it is both parody and paragon of the dating game. Also Kindred Spirits on the Roof is very good but expensive for a Visual the Novel.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wouldn't buy Higurashi until all of the question arcs are out at least

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Higurashi is great, but it's split up into Question and Answer arcs, with 1-4 being Question and 5-8 being Answer, so while you could enjoy them you will have mostly questions and very few answers. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from picking them up but if you do I wouldn't plan on finishing them on Steam before 2020 at this release rate. They did previously release the entire series in English but I think that might not be available for sale anymore (due to complaints hence the redone Steam versions)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Clannad is the big one. Higurashi is also highly acclaimed, but being incomplete I have no idea if just the two episodes available are worth diving in.
Higurashi episodes generally feel akin to "routes" of a larger VN, so they each have proper conclusions but you're only seeing a part of the bigger story. Releases are very slow, so you'll be caught in a dilemma of waiting years for a conclusion or reading the older translations.

If there's a significant community reading the episodes as they come out on steam and speculating that would be a good reason to get into these versions, since the story benefits a lot from discussion and speculation. Unfortunately I've seen no evidence of one.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm enjoying Root Double more now that I'm getting further into the story of Route A. That isn't on sale, though, of course. It just came out two days ago.
Technically it is? 10% isn't much of a discount, though.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Saoshyant posted:

There's plenty of good poo poo if you're into otome games and more coming out. Amnesia is a big one, and that's currently on sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359390/

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I've heard The Devil on G-String and World End Economica are pretty good but I haven't gotten around to them myself yet

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Finished Root Double. (Why no, I haven't had much sleep in the past 48 hours; why do you ask?) I may have more to say after sleeping on it, but for now I'll just say that it's a pretty strong entry. "Ever17 with less filler" or "Remember11 with an actual conclusion" would both be valid ways to describe it, though to be honest it never quite grabbed me to the same extent that either of those did.

I don't have anything good to say about the systems, but I think that's just because Virtue's Last Reward spoiled me so much. I don't feel like any other game is ever going to live up to the clarity and interesting integration of VLR's route system, so I'm forever doomed to be disappointed on that front. :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I don't feel like any other game is ever going to live up to the clarity and interesting integration of VLR's route system, so I'm forever doomed to be disappointed on that front. :(

it's called zero time dilemma

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Yeah, I already have Hatoful Boyfriend and Amnesia for Vita. I may buy one of the cheap ones that will certainly be bad.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fru Fru posted:

Yeah, I already have Hatoful Boyfriend and Amnesia for Vita. I may buy one of the cheap ones that will certainly be bad.

All of Hanako Games' stuff (Long Live the Queen, Magic Diary, Royal Trap, Black Closet) are solid if you haven't checked those out.

Caitlin posted:

There's plenty of good poo poo if you're into otome games and more coming out. Amnesia is a big one, and that's currently on sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359390/

Amnesia is good so long as you don't do the route where your boyfriend locks you in a cage

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Amnesia is good so long as you don't do the route where your boyfriend locks you in a cage

:same:

Listed of recc'd VNs I've played before:

Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~
WORLD END ECONOMiCA
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Dandelion - Wishes brought to you -

It's not a huge discount but all of them are min 30-40 hrs and I got tired after page 5.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alder posted:

:same:

Listed of recc'd VNs I've played before:

Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~
WORLD END ECONOMiCA
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Dandelion - Wishes brought to you -

It's not a huge discount but all of them are min 30-40 hrs and I got tired after page 5.

How's Dandelion? I remember seeing that on Greenlight way back, it must have made it out eventually.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mycot posted:

How's Dandelion? I remember seeing that on Greenlight way back, it must have made it out eventually.

It's a stat-raiser but not too grindy. I liked MOST of the routes which is nice considering there's some weird charas out there in VNs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm only like a half hour into /After in Root Double, and I have to wonder if it should be kind of obvious what happened with the Captain and Yuuri before the Captain blacked out. I mean even without passing knowledge of the Infinity series, it's telegraphed pretty hard. I feel like it's got to be a red herring but I'm just not sure (and honestly I guess I don't really want to know yet). Either way, the plot so far in /After has been cool.

I also picked up Higurashi ch 1 but it hasn't grabbed me yet so far (midway through ch2, I think) - the protagonist is somehow more unlikeable than Rintaro, and the sprites are bland and awful (the less said about the original sprites the better.) Is it really worth sticking out?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ryoshi posted:

I also picked up Higurashi ch 1 but it hasn't grabbed me yet so far (midway through ch2, I think) - the protagonist is somehow more unlikeable than Rintaro, and the sprites are bland and awful (the less said about the original sprites the better.) Is it really worth sticking out?

The author is kind of master of slow boring starts. It's very good as a whole work, just the beginning of the beginning is a particular low point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ryoshi posted:

I want to say yes because Higurashi is one of my favorites but there's no getting around that the first two chapters are really rough around the edges, mostly thanks to the author being an amateur and not having a great idea on how to pace things.

Also I definitely recommend using some of the PS3 "Graphics" mods here to update the sprites.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Root Double how do I open the TIPS? I was hoping I could control it entirely with my touchscreen but no such luck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

In Root Double how do I open the TIPS? I was hoping I could control it entirely with my touchscreen but no such luck.

Right click to bring up the menu with it as an option, but you said touchscreen so, uh, hm, you are boned?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hi. I'm playing Amnesia: Memories. I am doing the Diamond World route. I hate it! It's the worst!!!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Hi. I'm playing Amnesia: Memories. I am doing the Diamond World route. I hate it! It's the worst!!!

Yyyyep. It's the biggest black spot on an otherwise pretty decent game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
what the gently caress why are we getting all romantic he LOCKED YOU IN A CAGE FOR A loving WEEK

i hope ukyo drowns them both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i wish i had enough money to buy root double