Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

This is the main reason I don't do vids at the moment, every single time I close the game it hard crashes my PC to the point where I have to hit the reset button.

She is a lying sack of pure distilled poo poo

Well why would anyone ever want to stop playing Star Citizen in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Skellybones posted:

Well why would anyone ever want to stop playing Star Citizen in the first place?

Well for me sometimes I need a little time to unwind because the game is SO loving INTENSE AND GOOD

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DogonCrook posted:

So i bought in thinking it would probably be like elite, barebones and overhyped, but whatever, good enough. I didnt really research at all, but ive bought plenty of poo poo games, so no biggie. I bought the mustang and couldnt get in the drat thing, so i go and ask what ship i should buy so i can dick around now. Of course everybody was like "buy an avenger, its great, doesnt have those issues etc." (i think, its the delta wing one, black and white, whatever that is). Thats still like regular game price so whatever. Load it up and fall right through the floor. Those loving assholes in that forum deserve everything thats coming to them.

I called that the Ice Cream Van for about a year.
That's the one with the bizarre bondage racks in the back isn't it that I do the Bolero with?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

peter gabriel posted:

That's the one with the bizarre bondage racks in the back isn't it that I do the Bolero with?

The nose is bent down because thats the most efficient way to space, and it has 4 storage containers for my anime body pillows.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

peter gabriel posted:

Bondage racks? Is it the official ship of the Stimpire?

And honest question, as I have only ever tried to play SC for 5 minutes on Vs computer during free flight, is everything broken? Is there, for real, anything that works?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

So RTV has been blocked on YouTube or something?

Clearly Derek is behind this. drat Derek, that's cold.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...econd-of-a-song

They're kind of like the gang stalking lunatics, only replace "gang" with "Derek Smart." I really do hope they carry this obsession into their everyday lives. Run out of milk? Derek Smart drank it. Can't find your glasses? Derek Smart stole them. Little old lady you conned into getting broadband even though she doesn't own a computer has cancelled her account? Derek Smart must be behind it. Ben Lesnick paid to host years of his racist and homophobic views on a searchable website? drat you, Derek Smart! :argh:

In case I'm wrong, Derek, and you really are in control of Bandai: can you get me a good price on the new Machine Robo figures? They're looking pretty good.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

And honest question, as I have only ever tried to play SC for 5 minutes on Vs computer during free flight, is everything broken? Is there, for real, anything that works?
I asked this a while ago, and the answer was "no." Everything is hosed.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

In my experience pgabz videos actually make the game appear more playable than it actually is. And it isnt any one bug, its always something new, its like a procedural bug generator.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

peter gabriel posted:

Annabelle "Poo" Huxley :laugh:

Even sans videos, :pgabz: still contributing quality content. Thanks. This brightens up my already-bright day.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
meanwhile...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

peter gabriel posted:

Ducks have landed on my conservatory roof, this is crazy poo poo

There was a hedgehog outside my back-door this evening. We each of us went cordially about our individual business, and then peaceably on our separate ways. It was an entirely amicable experience.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Im_drunk posted:

meanwhile...

"My grandfather used to spout a bunch of self help bullshit that everyone had heard a thousand times over to me. Of course I took it all to heart and decided Star Citizen was something worth backing. It is the pure definition of perfection. Chris Roberts has never, and will never, do any wrong."

"Would you like red or blue kool aid? We offer different packages based on YOUR needs".

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

DogonCrook posted:

In my experience pgabz videos actually make the game appear more playable than it actually is. And it isnt any one bug, its always something new, its like a procedural bug generator.

At least they've nailed down that procedural generation. That's a step forward.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don't mess with me for I have a fast food analogy!

Run Derek, he's going to reference Nandos any minute!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

threatened to get his lawyers evolved
Wrong word or does he really not like lawyers?

LAWYERMON! Gotta catch 'em all! Charizad evolved into Wallace & Lionel, Attorneys at Law.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 1, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

That white chariot has these odd things in the back that you can click <<USE>> on but they just wobble about, I have no clue what they actually are meant to be.

So, is everything broken? That's a tough question to answer, and it's very much 'yes and no'

Let's split the game up into people, ships and I dunno, environment.

The people you control work most of the time, in a usual play session you should expect to see:

T Poses, this happens a fair bit
No animation on others, so they just jitter around - this happens usually at least once a play session
Your skeleton collapses, happens in probably half sessions
No faces, I love this one, happens about once a week
Then the usual clipping, that happens a lot, this is probably to do with the camera not giving a gently caress about things like walls / line of views
The sliding around is 100% certainty, this isn't a glitch but lovely physics, it happens every time. You fall, you slide, you fall hard you slide off the platform and into space.
There are other things but smaller like when you die your helmet is on backwards :lol: again, I love that one.

All of the above happen a lot, and with differing severity, the floppy no skeleton one happens less now which is a real shame as it was easily Star Citizens best feature imo

Chariots...
I won't go in depth, there is just too much. In every session you will see:
Can't get in or out of a Mustang, ever.
Walk towards the front of an auaurororoa or a CONNIE or that fat blackbird one and you will fall out of the walls
None of them fly well, there seems to be no physics at all, so a CONNNNIE will feel the same to fly as that new boggly fronted chairgate scam chariot
You absolutely cannot fly with a mouse, it's just :lol: levels of poo poo
All the multi crew chariots have the same copy pasted systems, they are all identical and as far as I can tell they do nothing
If you fly at a ship as a person you will more often than not just appear inside the ship
IMMERSION LADDERS still don't work, and they hardly ever retract properly, this is actually my second favourite thing about Star Citizen, seeing a physics free chariot zooming off with a pair of loving ladders poking out of the side will always make me laugh, guaranteed.
Apart from that the chariots in general are poo poo and badly made, expect random explosions, having them vanish, spinning around on the pads slowly every time you play.

The worst bit about the chariots is all the immersion animations, what happens now is is you click <<USE>> when outside a chariot the game no longer even bothers trying to seemlessly have you animate into the thing, you now just instantly pop inside, so you'll be floating around about 10ft away from the ship, hit <<USE>> then be instantly inside the ship, then the IMMERSION ANIMATION starts and you get into your chair and into your turret and then end up pretty much where you were before you clicked <<USE>> only sat inside.

The IMMERSIOn ANIMATIONS are worse than ever before. They have put in a 'fast' version for some of them and they defeat the object entirely.
What used to happen on the auauauaoroa for example is you would click <<USE>> to pop open the immersion ladder, then wait, then click <<USE>> again to climb them.
Now, you still do the first bit, but on the second part you click <<USE>> and your dude instantly teleports about 10ft away from the ladders and then does a run up and a jump onto the ladder - it is supposed to be quicker but overall it takes longer lmao

Getting in a chariot takes anywhere from 30 seconds to about two loving minutes, and god forbid you accidentally click <<USE>> on some random wank pod bed on the way in co you'll be doddering around like a twat for another minute getting up and oooh my kneeeees

All the ships are poo poo, no exceptions, every single one is bland, no imagination, horrible, seems they are all modelled on a loving caravan when you are inside them, total loving waste of time.
The chariots sum up everything that is wrong imo. They are worse than anything in a B movie.

The environment...
Well, loving what environment? You can jump through walls, if you actually try this happens on most walls as well.
The rings still wobble, space looks bad, I mean, how can you even gently caress space up? I do not know but here we are. Space looks bad in this game, loving space.

The rest of it is unremarkable and grey, it's just a distillation of every lovely sci fi program you saw as a kid, again, no imagination, no spark of creativity. Just a colossal waste of everyone's time.
If you genuinely enjoy being in this game world you're hosed in the head and / or have zero standards.

So to me that's about it, most of it is broken and when it isn't broken it's about as interesting as a blank sheet of A4 paper.
I wish it broke more, at least then it's funny. As it stands now it works far too much, far too often and it really suffers for it imo, it's only good when it's poo poo.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 1, 2016

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There was a hedgehog outside my back-door this evening. We each of us went cordially about our individual business, and then peaceably on our separate ways. It was an entirely amicable experience.

I love hedghogs. I live in the southeastern US where the most exciting thing you might stumble across in your backyard is a possum or a rat snake.

rat snake says hello friend, i hope you weren't planning on getting to your trashcan anytime soon

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is somewhat uncommon, although not rare, to see hedgehogs in my garden. Partly because they don't trigger the motion lights, but mostly because badgers about their nightly constitutional are apt to eat their heads. Badgers are gruff but amiable enough, their virulent racism towards erinaceinae not withstanding.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There was a Muntjac deer in the garden this morning. They are downsy animals.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It is somewhat uncommon, although not rare, to see hedgehogs in my garden. Partly because they don't trigger the motion lights, but mostly because badgers about their nightly constitutional are apt to eat their heads. Badgers are gruff but amiable enough, their virulent racism towards erinaceinae not withstanding.

I live next to a river type thing so it's wildlife a go go at my house.
Just chill animals like ducks and stuff though, not tigers or anything. I've always found hedgehogs to be a pleasant encounter, one which I enjoy. They command a certain level of respect.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Palisader posted:

I love hedghogs. I live in the southeastern US where the most exciting thing you might stumble across in your backyard is a possum or a rat snake.

rat snake says hello friend, i hope you weren't planning on getting to your trashcan anytime soon

To my untrained eye this looks like a picture of a badly disposed of Christmas tree that someone has jammed under a house, is there more here that i am not seeing?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
We used to have a hedgehog that would visit our garden and eat our cats food. I have a picture somewhere of them sharing from the same bowl. :3:

Badgers are loving terrifying monochrome hellhounds.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Do you live in a Redwall novel?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

We used to have a hedgehog that would visit our garden and eat our cats food. I have a picture somewhere of them sharing from the same bowl. :3:

Badgers are loving terrifying monochrome hellhounds.

Badgers are hardcore, do not engage

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There is a stream at the end of my garden, sometimes we hear ducks but rarely. I think it might be because of the apex shopping trolleys. I do agree about hedgehogs, they are empowered with a quiet dignity such as you might find in a least weasel or perhaps caribou. Muntjacs though are just peripatetic git-wizards, vanishing to hide their shame just as soon as you laugh at them.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

To my untrained eye this looks like a picture of a badly disposed of Christmas tree that someone has jammed under a house, is there more here that i am not seeing?

You can thank my neighbors. And yeah, he's in the desiccated Christmas tree. I have a closer shot.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Kakarot posted:

I called tooterfish about making a new bot. Hes gonna make a script bot that reports the derek hate sub for a range of reasons(chosen randomly from a list). Gonna start running it myself when he puts it up. We should get about 2k reports before the day is done :) (PM if you want to run it yourself and help out)

thanks for all the PMs. We should have 10k done today

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

That white chariot has these odd things in the back that you can click <<USE>> on but they just wobble about, I have no clue what they actually are meant to be.

So, is everything broken? That's a tough question to answer, and it's very much 'yes and no'

Let's split the game up into people, ships and I dunno, environment.

The people you control work most of the time, in a usual play session you should expect to see:

T Poses, this happens a fair bit
No animation on others, so they just jitter around - this happens usually at least once a play session
Your skeleton collapses, happens in probably half sessions
No faces, I love this one, happens about once a week
Then the usual clipping, that happens a lot, this is probably to do with the camera not giving a gently caress about things like walls / line of views
The sliding around is 100% certainty, this isn't a glitch but lovely physics, it happens every time. You fall, you slide, you fall hard you slide off the platform and into space.
There are other things but smaller like when you die your helmet is on backwards :lol: again, I love that one.

All of the above happen a lot, and with differing severity, the floppy no skeleton one happens less now which is a real shame as it was easily Star Citizens best feature imo

Chariots...
I won't go in depth, there is just too much. In every session you will see:
Can't get in or out of a Mustang, ever.
Walk towards the front of an auaurororoa or a CONNIE or that fat blackbird one and you will fall out of the walls
None of them fly well, there seems to be no physics at all, so a CONNNNIE will feel the same to fly as that new boggly fronted chairgate scam chariot
You absolutely cannot fly with a mouse, it's just :lol: levels of poo poo
All the multi crew chariots have the same copy pasted systems, they are all identical and as far as I can tell they do nothing
If you fly at a ship as a person you will more often than not just appear inside the ship
IMMERSION LADDERS still don't work, and they hardly ever retract properly, this is actually my second favourite thing about Star Citizen, seeing a physics free chariot zooming off with a pair of loving ladders poking out of the side will always make me laugh, guaranteed.
Apart from that the chariots in general are poo poo and badly made, expect random explosions, having them vanish, spinning around on the pads slowly every time you play.

The worst bit about the chariots is all the immersion animations, what happens now is is you click <<USE>> when outside a chariot the game no longer even bothers trying to seemlessly have you animate into the thing, you now just instantly pop inside, so you'll be floating around about 10ft away from the ship, hit <<USE>> then be instantly inside the ship, then the IMMERSION ANIMATION starts and you get into your chair and into your turret and then end up pretty much where you were before you clicked <<USE>> only sat inside.

The IMMERSIOn ANIMATIONS are worse than ever before. They have put in a 'fast' version for some of them and they defeat the object entirely.
What used to happen on the auauauaoroa for example is you would click <<USE>> to pop open the immersion ladder, then wait, then click <<USE>> again to climb them.
Now, you still do the first bit, but on the second part you click <<USE>> and your dude instantly teleports about 10ft away from the ladders and then does a run up and a jump onto the ladder - it is supposed to be quicker but overall it takes longer lmao

Getting in a chariot takes anywhere from 30 seconds to about two loving minutes, and god forbid you accidentally click <<USE>> on some random wank pod bed on the way in co you'll be doddering around like a twat for another minute getting up and oooh my kneeeees

All the ships are poo poo, no exceptions, every single one is bland, no imagination, horrible, seems they are all modelled on a loving caravan when you are inside them, total loving waste of time.
The chariots sum up everything that is wrong imo. They are worse than anything in a B movie.

The environment...
Well, loving what environment? You can jump through walls, if you actually try this happens on most walls as well.
The rings still wobble, space looks bad, I mean, how can you even gently caress space up? I do not know but here we are. Space looks bad in this game, loving space.

The rest of it is unremarkable and grey, it's just a distillation of every lovely sci fi program you saw as a kid, again, no imagination, no spark of creativity. Just a colossal waste of everyone's time.
If you genuinely enjoy being in this game world you're hosed in the head and / or have zero standards.

So to me that's about it, most of it is broken and when it isn't broken it's about as interesting as a blank sheet of A4 paper.
I wish it broke more, at least then it's funny. As it stands now it works far too much, far too often and it really suffers for it imo, it's only good when it's poo poo.

Thank you for the response.

Seriously, HOW do you gently caress up space? That seems like the easiest thing to get right.

From what I've seen, and based on what you have said, it really does sound like CR and his team took everything they ever loved, or even remotely thought was good, from sci fi and attempted to distill it down into this game. All the while completely ignoring what made the individual parts good good to begin with.

Which while sad, is not surprising when you have so many uber fan boys of so many different things all trying to work together to make a cohesive vision. Like Lando's clear love (see obsession) with Star Wars or Bens well documented lust for all things Wing Commander.

I just have never bothered trying to play SC, and where as I knew it was bad and arguably a scam, I really didn't realize it was such a clear goddamn mess. I always figured it was, and videos do show a lot, but never before has it been so nicely laid out.

HOW? HOW are people still thinking this is okay (rhetorical question, I know the answer - either Lols or their idiots)?

B_of_InfoRedux fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 1, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Don't worry guys, I'm still hard at work on Solar Plebeian.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Palisader posted:

You can thank my neighbors. And yeah, he's in the desiccated Christmas tree. I have a closer shot.

gently caress that snake, i bet derek smart put it there too with is bandai cronies.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Palisader posted:

Ohhhh there he is

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

tastychicken posted:

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet

https://nothke.itch.io/normans-sky

It literally has more exploration potential than a $113 project.
Hey, this is neat.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Thank you for the response.

Seriously, HOW do you gently caress up space? That seems like the easiest thing to get right.

From what I've seen, and based on what you have said, it really foes sound like CR and his team tool everything they ever loved, or even remotely thought was good, from sci fi and attempted to distill it down into this game. All the while completely ignoring what made the individual parts good good to begin with.

Which while sad, is not surprising when you have so many uber fan boys of so many different things all trying to work together to make a cohesive vision. Like Lando's clear love (see obsession) with Star Wars or Bens well documented lust for all things Wing Commander.

I just have never bothered trying to play SC, and where as I knew it was bad and arguably a scam, I really didn't realize it was such a clear goddamn mess. I always figured it was, and videos do show a lot, but never before has it been so nicely laid out.

HOW? HOW are people still thinking this is okay (rhetorical question, I know the answer - either Lols or their idiots)?

That wall of text is just really an overview, there's so much that is lovely I can't remember it all in one go or even be arsed typing it out.
The more you play the more it just becomes painfully obvious how bad it all is. There really is very little there when you become familiar with it all. You see the system they have created from the inside, the ships being released into this lovely world and they are all just crap.
You have to live with it for a while and you realise, there is not even any 'fidelity' here or whatever, the graphics are OK, but honestly nothing more - and even then the majority of the graphics are outright bad. Mass Effect runs rings around it imo, for example.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

peter gabriel posted:

Badgers are hardcore, do not engage

I was once confronted with a belligerent badger, I do not know what had aroused his ire but I suspect he may have been sniffing cat piss. Heedless of my entreaties toward a peaceful outcome the be-striped fellow ran straight for me. And to my dying day I will swear to you that the legs of this hirsute accordion were rotating at the hip like the sails upon the fabled mill of Camberwick.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2016

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

gently caress that snake, i bet derek smart put it there too with is bandai cronies.

As I slowly backed away from him, I could distinctly hear a hissing that sounded a lot like "two weekssss"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I was once confronted with a belligerent badger, I do not know what had aroused his ire but I suspect he may have been sniffing cat piss. Heedless of my entreaties toward a peaceful outcome the be-striped fellow ran straight for me. And to my dying day I will swear to you that the legs of this hirsute accordion were rotating at the hip like the sails upon the fabled mill of Caberwick.

The trouble with badgers is everything is black or white to them :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They are exceptionally short-sighted in their thinking. Which is how they so commonly come to enter retirement wrapped around an axle.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

That wall of text is just really an overview, there's so much that is lovely I can't remember it all in one go or even be arsed typing it out.
The more you play the more it just becomes painfully obvious how bad it all is. There really is very little there when you become familiar with it all. You see the system they have created from the inside, the ships being released into this lovely world and they are all just crap.
You have to live with it for a while and you realise, there is not even any 'fidelity' here or whatever, the graphics are OK, but honestly nothing more - and even then the majority of the graphics are outright bad. Mass Effect runs rings around it imo, for example.

Yeah, I've never been impresses with their graphics. The ship design to always felt very uninspired. Like if someone watched Top Gun, named themselves Maverick, and then tried to make ships based on where they thought the navy would go in 100 years.

Wait a minute....

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Palisader posted:

Do you live in a Redwall novel?

No, this is a house.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I feel compelled to confess for the sake of clarity that I own novels. Mostly they relate to the battlemechs, and the errors committed during the Kaiserschlacht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

No, this is a house.

I was going to reference A Cricket In Times Square instead, but I realized that I've never actually met anyone else who's read that series.

Your garden sounds very idyllic.

• Locked thread