Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GW had no hope of growing their audience once they stopped using lead in their miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Chill la Chill posted:

You think you can beer and pretzel while you're using this thing? Pretty arrogant of you.

e: yes this is a real thing and not some parody joystick

Look at the keyboard off to the right. Jesus gently caress that person must be so filthy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chill la Chill posted:

That idiot thinks you'll have any time or desire to paint and play warhammer when a single Total War campaign takes up hundreds of hours.

How the gently caress do you spend that long on a single TW campaign

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How does someone marry a person that would blow their savings on Space jpegs and try to groom their children to be their pretend crew and not see it coming? Are these people just like everyone else then they get activated Manchurian Candidate style and then go insane?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Settling, fear of loneliness and there's this weird thing where people vaguely unhappy in a relationship think throwing kids in the mix will fix things more toward normal or keep the marriage together.

My only sadness about the SC stuff is it so vastly eclipses the Starbound drama, which is sort of the same thing, except the pixels in question were loving Terraria sprites. But it's really loving hilarious seeing what incredible shitbags people who get KS/preorder/early access whatever money are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not surprising, it lets people bypass the early stages of business building, and the basic requirements of having a plan and the skills to carry it out.

Getting your start-up money out of idiots on the internet is easy, just promise them something shiny that nobody else will have. Then you can say "look! we have N people willing to put down money for this!" and convince the bank or VCs that your product has merit despite your obvious shitheeling, history of poor life choices, and non-existent business plan.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

goatface posted:

Then you can say "look! we have N people willing to put down money for this!" and convince the bank or VCs that your product has merit despite your obvious shitheeling, history of poor life choices, and non-existent business plan.

Doobie tried to do exactly this but the bank turned him down :(

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

That idiot thinks you'll have any time or desire to paint and play warhammer when a single Total War campaign takes up hundreds of hours.

Thats extremly generous to total war tbh

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Star Citizen is an elaborate money laundering scheme so Chris Roberts can continue receiving caviar enemas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

Thats extremly generous to total war tbh

OK so maybe my longest campaigns only reach to be about 150-200 hours each but that's still a considerable amount of time. Do you guys all use auto battle on the easiest difficulty or something? Half the time the first couple dozen hours are spent stabilizing an uneasy faction against Very Hard opponents who come at you with stacks upon stacks after a couple hours.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
150-200 hours is insane. I can't see a campaign taking that long unless its a "conquer literally the whole map" affair regardless of difficulty.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

150-200 hours is insane. I can't see a campaign taking that long unless its a "conquer literally the whole map" affair regardless of difficulty.

this is how I play

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

this is how I play

same. It's how you play total war games. I also habitually slaughter cull my armies when expenses go up so only veterans survive. I combine them and raise giant crusading stacks to expand my borders, then slow down, cull some more, stabilize, and raise a new army.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have played three different total war games (I own four, but honestly I never got more than three or four turns into Empire:TW) and I've played at least two long campaigns in each one, but I've never finished a TW campaign, ever.

TBH what I really enjoy in the game is the battles and at some point I've fought my 500th battle and realize I'm only halfway through a grand campaign and I just stop clicking on the game launch icon and go play something else.

I'm super looking forward to Warhammer TW but I'm also like 95% certain I'll never finish a grand campaign in that game either.

e. Oh yeah I loving love the music for Medieval 2 TW. The launch music gets me going every time.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The point of Total War games is to spend around 200 hours getting 50-60% of the map conquered and then realizing you no longer care and let it sit for about 18 months before you suddenly want to play it again and get to 50-60% of the world map conquered before realizing you no longer care...etc.

I'd be a really bad world conqueror.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I have played three different total war games (I own four, but honestly I never got more than three or four turns into Empire:TW) and I've played at least two long campaigns in each one, but I've never finished a TW campaign, ever.

TBH what I really enjoy in the game is the battles and at some point I've fought my 500th battle and realize I'm only halfway through a grand campaign and I just stop clicking on the game launch icon and go play something else.

I'm super looking forward to Warhammer TW but I'm also like 95% certain I'll never finish a grand campaign in that game either.

e. Oh yeah I loving love the music for Medieval 2 TW. The launch music gets me going every time.

Did you play Shogun 2? It was far from perfect, but having default win conditions besides "conquer some obscene portion of the map" definitely helped campaigns from dragging too much, and while it wasn't perfectly implemented (especially where vassals were concerned) the Realm divide mechanic kept the end game from being as much of a boring stomp. Imo it's the best one in the series.

You've definitely got to automate the unimportant battles in any Total War game to get through a campaign in a sane amount of time though, a good chunk of strategic management in those games for me has always been making I'm bringing overwhelming force that's designed to take advantage of the auto-resolve without incurring painful losses. Yeah you lose out on some fun battles, but it makes the ones you do fight more memorable as they tend to either be dramatic full-stack affairs or desperate rear-guard actions by garrison forces when you get invaded by sea/a stack slips through.

I do wish Fall of the Samurai had had better AI. Really fun expansion to Shogun 2, but the AI really does not know how to deal with Kneel Fire which kind of trivializes the whole thing after a certain point.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 2, 2016

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fnordcircle posted:

The point of Total War games is to spend around 200 hours getting 50-60% of the map conquered and then realizing you no longer care and let it sit for about 18 months before you suddenly want to play it again and get to 50-60% of the world map conquered before realizing you no longer care...etc.

I'd be a really bad world conqueror.

And when Alexander saw the breadth of his kingdom, he said 'Screw that, I'm going to play some DOTA'.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Eh he was too old for games by that time. Especially the game of life.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Chill la Chill posted:

150-200 hours

I don't understand how a person would see this and think, "Wow that's a whole lot of fun and exciting stuff to do!" instead of, "Wow that's a whole lot of needless repetition and length-padding to slog through!"

There's an interesting corollary here with the length of the average GW game.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't understand how a person would see this and think, "Wow that's a whole lot of fun and exciting stuff to do!" instead of, "Wow that's a whole lot of needless repetition and length-padding to slog through!"

I have the same issue when I play Madden franchise mode. I get all stoked, do a draft, play 16 to 19 games, and then... start over?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

Fighting different types of armies as you conquer the entire world seems fun IMO. Also so does doing the logistics of your empire. I think you mistake the corollary GW game that takes several hours to play since you're fighting against different armies possibly using different armies of your own during the same time (so more like an X-wing tournament) vs. one long battle using the same two armies (a single GW game).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TKIY posted:

I have the same issue when I play Madden franchise mode. I get all stoked, do a draft, play 16 to 19 games, and then... start over?

I probably spent an order of magnitude more time in the City of Heroes character creator than actually playing the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I probably spent an order of magnitude more time in the City of Heroes character creator than actually playing the game.

Aww, I'm sad now, I spent an embarrassingly huge amount of time playing that game for like 8 years. :smith:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

people like different things

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

people like different things

Correct. Some people like AoS.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
they aren't really people though

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

They are better than people.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Fighting different types of armies as you conquer the entire world seems fun IMO. Also so does doing the logistics of your empire. I think you mistake the corollary GW game that takes several hours to play since you're fighting against different armies possibly using different armies of your own during the same time (so more like an X-wing tournament) vs. one long battle using the same two armies (a single GW game).

Even a narrative tabletop campaign would get pretty boring to me after a few hundred hours. At least with something like D&D, the DM can change stuff up dramatically if people are getting bored (that said, I've never hit max level in D&D, nor run a campaign that reached max level). I just can't imagine spending 150 hours sitting alone in my room doing the same thing and having nothing to show for it except for some Steam achievements. Assuming the game is actually good, I usually get bored around 50 hours in and go do something else. A game longer than that just means I won't finish it. I'm sure the limit is different for everyone, but games that take hundreds of hours to finish could probably do with a bit of fat trimming.

At least with tabletop games, you're probably using them partly to socialize with people, and human contact never really gets old (although you may need a break from time to time).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 2, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Moola posted:

Also AoS only sort of barely qualifies as a thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LGD posted:

Did you play Shogun 2? It was far from perfect, but having default win conditions besides "conquer some obscene portion of the map" definitely helped campaigns from dragging too much, and while it wasn't perfectly implemented (especially where vassals were concerned) the Realm divide mechanic kept the end game from being as much of a boring stomp. Imo it's the best one in the series.

You've definitely got to automate the unimportant battles in any Total War game to get through a campaign in a sane amount of time though, a good chunk of strategic management in those games for me has always been making I'm bringing overwhelming force that's designed to take advantage of the auto-resolve without incurring painful losses. Yeah you lose out on some fun battles, but it makes the ones you do fight more memorable as they tend to either be dramatic full-stack affairs or desperate rear-guard actions by garrison forces when you get invaded by sea/a stack slips through.

I do wish Fall of the Samurai had had better AI. Really fun expansion to Shogun 2, but the AI really does not know how to deal with Kneel Fire which kind of trivializes the whole thing after a certain point.

I did not play Shogun 2. It's been recommended repeatedly though, eventually I'll probably check it out.

I have a reflexive hatred for the auto-resolve and almost never use it. It invariably does something loving stupid like kill a general I would never have gotten killed, or at least get him wounded. Probably the game I played the most was M2:TW, closely followed by the two Rome:TWs. In all of these I'm so much better at battlefield generalship than the AI/autoresolve that it gets me really angry when the victory I win in autoresolve using overwhelming odds still costs me losses I'd never have lost if I run the battle myself.

The older TW games have two deep flaws to them: the battlefield AI is very stupid, and the campaign mode micro doesn't scale up well so by the time you own 40 provinces you're managing a hundred wandering agents all over the loving map every turn and also managing all your cities' production every turn etc. and it just bogs down horribly.

I will say Rome 2:TW got better at this, at least the way it plays now (I didn't play it on release of course, never play a newly released total war game). Your cities have a maximum upgrade level after which you just ignore them and you hit it pretty dang quickly, and you no longer have to park hundreds of agents all over the map just to manage your economy so mostly I focus on a half-dozen spies and everyone else just schleps along with an army giving it bonuses. Plus Rome2 has an actual sea battle mode, which is more challenging to do well with than the land battles, so that held my interest for a while too.

Even so, with Rome 2 I hit that point in the campaign where I'm the dominant power in the Mediterranean, I'm at war with three other countries and managing to stay ahead with all of them, and it's clear that my ultimate domination victory is all but certain... but that it will also cost me another hundred hours of gameplay to get there. That's where I gave up and finally installed XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN for a change of pace.

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's exactly how I feel about MMOs, I do not see the entertainment value of grinding out hundreds of hours of "fetch me 6 wolf pelts" or powering through a dungeon with 16 other jerks for the 12th time just to maybe this time get a slightly better shoulderpad with an orange name instead of a purple name. And yet, millions of people still do that poo poo.

And yet I have put two years into a dwarf fortress LP. So :shrug: I guess the details matter.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's exactly how I feel about MMOs, I do not see the entertainment value of grinding out hundreds of hours of "fetch me 6 wolf pelts" or powering through a dungeon with 16 other jerks for the 12th time just to maybe this time get a slightly better shoulderpad with an orange name instead of a purple name. And yet, millions of people still do that poo poo.

I remember playing World of Warcraft when it was new, and I actually managed to hit the level cap at the time (in no small part because I was playing with my roommate). Then we starting doing those raid dungeons with a guild. I lasted about 3 Molten Core runs before I said, "Wait, this is stupid," and unsubscribed. Then I played Eve Online for a couple months and decided I'd seen everything worth seeing in MMOs. I haven't played one since.

A lot of games like this have a kind of "low-grade fun" for me. They're not bad or anything, and when you look at the total amount of fun you got from them, it's pretty high, but the fun-per-second is a lot lower than other, shorter games. Therefore, the optimal strategy for me is to play games until I start getting bored (usually around 20-40 hours, or when I feel I've mastered the systems) and then go do something else.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/DawnOfWar/status/727135823540318208

May 3rd.

Dawn of War 3

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I played CoH through to level cap without having to re-do the storyline missions or whatever their raid-equivalents were (where you chase around stuff and end up beating a storyline boss). I actually missed whole areas and so when I started new characters there was still content I hadn't seen before. I think the raid culture that currently dominates things like WoW is pretty lovely and boring, but it's not the only way that MMOs can play, and it's a bummer that more games struggle to imitate it than differentiate themselves.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I tried an MMO once. It was called Destiny and it sucked really bad.

My parents got it for me one Christmas. I tried really hard to like it, because I felt bad that they spent so much on such a bad game. But it isn't good, like at all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Please be real

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sir Teabag posted:

I tried an MMO once. It was called Destiny and it sucked really bad.

My parents got it for me one Christmas. I tried really hard to like it, because I felt bad that they spent so much on such a bad game. But it isn't good, like at all.

Yeah Destiny was p bad. I mean the physical mechanics of play were fine but basically every other system was rear end and the story was like Metzen level bad. Supposedly it got improved after like one year and $120 of content later but it's like gently caress man there is no way I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt after such a poo poo show in the beginning.

Also glad I wasn't the one who paid for it my girlfriend took that loss and dropped the game faster than I did.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Someone contanted me on the Norwegian Craigslist equivalent and asked what this mini unopened could go for. I told her I honestly didn't know, but then someone offered her $100 for it. Really?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah Destiny was p bad. I mean the physical mechanics of play were fine but basically every other system was rear end and the story was like Metzen level bad. Supposedly it got improved after like one year and $120 of content later but it's like gently caress man there is no way I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt after such a poo poo show in the beginning.

Also glad I wasn't the one who paid for it my girlfriend took that loss and dropped the game faster than I did.

Yeah I heard it got better with a full price expansion or something - but they should have given that poo poo out for free.

Also, since I had played so much Battlefield 3 and 4 I just couldn't get into an FPS where I could shoot a guy in the head and he is still coming at me. It just doesn't fly with me.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I did not play Shogun 2. It's been recommended repeatedly though, eventually I'll probably check it out.

I have a reflexive hatred for the auto-resolve and almost never use it. It invariably does something loving stupid like kill a general I would never have gotten killed, or at least get him wounded. Probably the game I played the most was M2:TW, closely followed by the two Rome:TWs. In all of these I'm so much better at battlefield generalship than the AI/autoresolve that it gets me really angry when the victory I win in autoresolve using overwhelming odds still costs me losses I'd never have lost if I run the battle myself.

The older TW games have two deep flaws to them: the battlefield AI is very stupid, and the campaign mode micro doesn't scale up well so by the time you own 40 provinces you're managing a hundred wandering agents all over the loving map every turn and also managing all your cities' production every turn etc. and it just bogs down horribly.

I will say Rome 2:TW got better at this, at least the way it plays now (I didn't play it on release of course, never play a newly released total war game). Your cities have a maximum upgrade level after which you just ignore them and you hit it pretty dang quickly, and you no longer have to park hundreds of agents all over the map just to manage your economy so mostly I focus on a half-dozen spies and everyone else just schleps along with an army giving it bonuses. Plus Rome2 has an actual sea battle mode, which is more challenging to do well with than the land battles, so that held my interest for a while too.

Even so, with Rome 2 I hit that point in the campaign where I'm the dominant power in the Mediterranean, I'm at war with three other countries and managing to stay ahead with all of them, and it's clear that my ultimate domination victory is all but certain... but that it will also cost me another hundred hours of gameplay to get there. That's where I gave up and finally installed XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN for a change of pace.
Yeah, I was the same way regarding auto-resolve for a while, but eventually learned to make my peace with it. Just envision it as delegating command to less competent inferiors- its the price of empire. (Though it also helps if you learn how the auto-resolve AI works- i.e. does it assume cavalry charges headlong into a line of spears/pikes at the start of battle? If so, you probably want to keep it in a different stack and only use it when you're playing yourself.)

And your main complaints are why I feel Shogun 2 is by far the best Total War so far (and I liked what Rome 2 turned into). The battlefield AI isn't brilliant, but the more limited and similar unit selection and Rock-Paper-Scissors nature of unit counters meant they were able to get it to perform better in combat than most of the other Total War titles. And Realm Divide was a great way of making the end-game interesting, as generally right when you hit critical mass in terms of being able to steamroll people trivially, the entire map decides they hate you and you're suddenly on the back foot against equal/superior forces (if you didn't prepare for it anyway). It was refined in Fall of the Samurai (which let you keep aligned allies/vassals and made you the head of one coalition rather than a pariah), but they took a step back in Rome 2- the Civil War mechanic is much worse (even if its a better/more plausible thematic fit). It's a bit less predictable but it mostly just is an annoying disruption to your economy that needs to be dealt with, rather than something that makes the late game challenging.

Shogun 2 owns. (So does XCOM but it suffers from a problem of late-game difficulty inversion. XCOM2 did a decent job addressing this, though PSI is still pretty lol)

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

• Locked thread