Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

jamal posted:

What in the gently caress. Twice now in the last few weeks I have had someone try to pass me on the left, as I'm turning left into my driveway. I just had to make sure my signal wasn't broken. And no, a turn signal doesn't mean go ahead and pass me on that side.

I was with a friend in a not-so-nice neighborhood and witnessed a guy do this to someone turning left at a stop sign. The victim then opened his door and started reaching into the glovebox but the rear end in a top hat drove off before he could get what he was looking for. You never know what other people are capable of over petty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sudo Echo posted:

I was with a friend in a not-so-nice neighborhood and witnessed a guy do this to someone turning left at a stop sign. The victim then opened his door and started reaching into the glovebox but the rear end in a top hat drove off before he could get what he was looking for. You never know what other people are capable of over petty poo poo.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/peoria/breaking/2015/12/31/suspect-identified-peoria-road-rage-shooting/78130168/

quote:

According to a police report, the incident began around 6:15 p.m. when both drivers turned off 67th Avenue onto Happy Valley Road. Megofna's 4-year-old daughter was in his vehicle, secured in a child safety seat in the back of his van.

After the shooting, both men called 911 and Megofna waited by his vehicle for police to arrive, the report said.

The report said that the victim, whose name was not released, told investigators that Megofna "flipped him off" and then fired a round into his vehicle, piercing both his arms and exiting through the driver's side door.

Megofna told police that the victim initiated the conflict and then swerved into his lane as they were traveling along Happy Valley Road. He said he perceived a threat to himself and his daughter, pulled out his holstered .45-caliber pistol and fired a round through his open driver's window into the victim's auto, according to the police report.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sudo Echo posted:

No kidding - driving home today, I'm at a 4 way intersection on a road that "funnels" from 2 lanes into 1 a couple hundred yards past the light. Traffic is backed up in the left lane and I'm in the right lane behind some rust-bucket duallie pickup. Light goes green, duallie guy sits there for a few seconds, I beep and he starts creeping into the intersection doing like 5-10 mph (in a 35mph zone) while a few cars pass us on the left side. I signal, move over when I see an opening, and go past him on the left doing the limit...so he gives me the bird. After me and 2 other cars pass him, he gets over into the left lane without signaling and continues to putter along at maybe 25 tops, backing up a bunch of other cars.

I guess he was mad because I didn't read his mind? Here's a thought, rear end in a top hat - do the limit and put that finger to use hitting your loving blinker if you want to merge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This guy was parked there when i went into the grocery store

And this guy was parked there when i came out.

What are the chances.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Powershift posted:

This guy was parked there when i went into the grocery store

And this guy was parked there when i came out.

What are the chances.

That's someone who backs into a parking space aligning themselves with the car behind them, rather than the lines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SCA Enthusiast posted:

That's someone who backs into a parking space aligning themselves with the car behind them, rather than the lines.

He wouldn't have even been able to see that vehicle in his drivers side mirror.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Powershift posted:

He wouldn't have even been able to see that vehicle in his drivers side mirror.

But he could in his rear view camera.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On my way into work today I got stuck behind an asswad in the left lane. He had a "it's the law, move over for stopped emergency vehicles" sticker in the rear window. guess what is also the law, fuckwad? get out of the passing lane you hypocrite.

5min later it was some daft idiot in a ratty new beetle with a headlight out, covered in stickers, obscuring 75% of her vision with her phone held directly in front of her face.

then some idiot saw a stopped cruiser's blue lights out of the corner of their eye while picking their nose or jacking off or whatever and panicked and swerved all over the place, including the left shoulder and halfway into the middle lane. :shrug:

this chain of failures and idiots continued for another 50 miles but those were the most notable.

I hate everyone right now fyi. self driving cars cannot come soon enough.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:cop:

http://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/05/05/reading-police-photo-officer-texting-driving

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You mean the laws there banning texting while driving don't have a law enforcement exemption written into it, with the excuse of "they need to use their MDTs while driving"?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Didn't catch any texting, but last night Spokane PD had an SUV merrily cruising up the main north/south route with no lights whatsoever.

In the rain.

At 11 PM.

:rolleyes:

Too bad no one seemed to be interested in the loud alarm and flashing strobe going off at the branch bank just down the street...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just saw some geriatric turn into the wrong lane on a 2-lane divided road. The motorcycle going the correct way sort of bounced his way onto the raised median to get out of her way. It was one of the more impressive bits of driving I've seen in recent memory. Thank gently caress he looked to be doing the speed limit and she was doing well under, I guess.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Not my photo, I got it from Facebook:

I'm mostly curious how much time and money it would take to get the car back on the road.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FBS posted:

I'm mostly curious how much time and money it would take to get the road back.

gently caress the car.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I know the name of the municipality is Reading, but the sixth-grader in me is going "who's gonna stop me from checking facebook and driving? The READING POLICE?!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It loving staggers me how many times I've seen someone wedge their car through a line of safety cones. "Oh, there's room to fit my car between them, that means it's okay to drive into this blocked off area."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FBS posted:

I'm mostly curious how much time and money it would take to get the car back on the road.

Depends on whether there was a big pit of sugar to drive in next.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Why, yes mister Lycra clad oval office, I know the Giro d'Italia is tomorrow. It says so on the big yellow signs that have been giving notice of roads being closed for it.

Yes, I will let go of your stupid bike as soon as the cops get here to remove it and you from the loving A73.

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if you're some big time cyclist from Italy. You can not ride your bicycle on a loving motorway. There is no way you can get anywhere close to a speed that isn't dangerous in a 130 zone.

Seriously you gently caress, be glad I noticed you. Be glad I wasn't driving a 65t HGV when you decided to merge into the motorway.

Yes I can see that your bike has a mangled front wheel, from when I forced you to stop on the hard shoulder and you ran into my car. I am pressing charges for that. You hosed up my passenger side door.

Oh and here's another free tip, if you are a foreigner and you want to ride a bicycle on the motorway, carry your ID and a lot of cash. Because the cops will demand that you pay in full, on the spot. If you don't, they will impound your vehicle. And if you can't produce a proper ID on the spot, the cops will take you downtown.

I hope the DA doesn't have time for you until Monday morning, so you'll have to sit in jail for the weekend and miss the prologue of the Giro. I wonder what your sponsor will say if that happens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So you caused an accident intentionally and detained the other party? And they're the rear end in a top hat?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah it seems like vigilante poo poo here. Think we need a bit more detail here.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Deedle posted:

Why, yes mister Lycra clad oval office, I know the Giro d'Italia is tomorrow. It says so on the big yellow signs that have been giving notice of roads being closed for it.

Yes, I will let go of your stupid bike as soon as the cops get here to remove it and you from the loving A73.

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if you're some big time cyclist from Italy. You can not ride your bicycle on a loving motorway. There is no way you can get anywhere close to a speed that isn't dangerous in a 130 zone.

Seriously you gently caress, be glad I noticed you. Be glad I wasn't driving a 65t HGV when you decided to merge into the motorway.

Yes I can see that your bike has a mangled front wheel, from when I forced you to stop on the hard shoulder and you ran into my car. I am pressing charges for that. You hosed up my passenger side door.

Oh and here's another free tip, if you are a foreigner and you want to ride a bicycle on the motorway, carry your ID and a lot of cash. Because the cops will demand that you pay in full, on the spot. If you don't, they will impound your vehicle. And if you can't produce a proper ID on the spot, the cops will take you downtown.

I hope the DA doesn't have time for you until Monday morning, so you'll have to sit in jail for the weekend and miss the prologue of the Giro. I wonder what your sponsor will say if that happens.
I don't think the person you're addressing this to can read it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deedle posted:

The people we share the road with are coming from inside the thread.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Deedle posted:

I forced you to stop on the hard shoulder and you ran into my car. I am pressing charges for that.

:stare:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I only wear lycra when I sit on leather because its fun to slide around

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The people we share the road with are coming from inside the thread.

Of course it is, it always has been

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Deedle posted:

Ofcourse you can try to sue a bicyclist in civil court over damages to your car or motorbike, but the odds of actually getting any money out of that are slim to none at best. Because even if a civil court says they have to pay, doesn't mean they actually will and you won't have to make a poo poo tonne of expenses trying to recover the damages they caused you.

Deedle posted:

I tend to not give a poo poo about suicidal cyclists, in the end they will move the gently caress over, or brake.

Deedle posted:

I am the person you share a road with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Love you too!

Last night I was riding down a road that had some construction going on, came to an intersection with a flashing signal and a construction worker with a light baton directing traffic. It was almost a full mile closed down to one lane straight ahead, so he had me sit out in the intersection a bit so cars wouldn't hit me impatiently waiting to turn right.

Traffic was light, so we had a few minutes to bullshit while he was directing the occasional car coming from another direction, and he had JUST finished telling me about a woman an hour earlier who had decided she couldn't wait and took off through the intersection to go down the closed side of the road, when what do you know a woman comes squeezing around me in the intersection to barrel down on the closed lane and he started yelling at her "Hey stop, where do you think you're going?" and she fortunately stopped before she got too far, he went and talked to her, she apparently refused to believe that the road was in any way dangerous (Heavy machinery in the closed lane, traffic coming our way in the open lane, almost wish he wouldn't be in deep poo poo for letting her go and just let her) and he had to stand in front of her SUV redirecting her to go any other direction until she backed up and went speeding off the left turn from the intersection.

He came back over and said "Christ, you know what she told me? 'You weren't doing anything so I just went.' Like we're all just sitting here because it's clear to go!"

It's amazing how people's brains just turn right off.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

xzzy posted:

So you caused an accident intentionally and detained the other party? And they're the rear end in a top hat?
Oddly enough the cops agreed. They did arrest the cyclist and let me go. I even got a written statement from them that says I wasn't at fault at all.

It'll have to go to court for the liability claims and I have no problems explaining why I did what I did.
I might have to show up in traffic court as a witness, but nothing more than that.

And yes in my not so humble opinion, the cyclist is the rear end in a top hat. He ran into my car, despite me leaving him ample room to stop.
I guess you would have wanted me to just swerve around him, not intervene and just hope he doesn't kill himself or someone else before he reaches the next exit 10km away? You wouldn't have called 112 and stopped the guy?

He's going less than half the speed of a lorry. Less than a third the speed limit, and probably at best a quart of the speed of normal traffic flow.
He wasn't riding on the hard shoulder, he was in the outside lane.
I know that in parts of NA this kind of insanity is allowed, but it sure as hell isn't allowed here.

Last year a drunk teenager rode his bicycle down that same stretch of motorway. The difference being he rode into oncoming traffic and got killed when a lorry driver didn't see him in time to swerve.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Deedle posted:

Oddly enough the cops agreed. They did arrest the cyclist and let me go. I even got a written statement from them that says I wasn't at fault at all.

It'll have to go to court for the liability claims and I have no problems explaining why I did what I did.
I might have to show up in traffic court as a witness, but nothing more than that.

And yes in my not so humble opinion, the cyclist is the rear end in a top hat. He ran into my car, despite me leaving him ample room to stop.
I guess you would have wanted me to just swerve around him, not intervene and just hope he doesn't kill himself or someone else before he reaches the next exit 10km away? You wouldn't have called 112 and stopped the guy?

He's going less than half the speed of a lorry. Less than a third the speed limit, and probably at best a quart of the speed of normal traffic flow.
I know that in parts of NA this kind of insanity is allowed, but it sure as hell isn't allowed here.

Last year a drunk teenager rode his bicycle down that same stretch of motorway. The difference being he rode into oncoming traffic and got killed when a lorry driver didn't see him in time to swerve.

There is something between "force him to crash into your car" and "let him die and/or kill someone else"

It's call the cops and move on.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Deedle posted:

Forums poster Deedle performs vigilante justice and roadway bullying by literally running someone off the road, damaging two vehicles in the process, then brags about it in the "share your stories of terrible road users" thread. The lack of self awareness is staggering.

I hope the reason he hasn't responded is because the police put him away for the weekend for being a monstrous shithead.

e: responded.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think you might have some issues that would be better discussed with a psychologist but yeah, we don't allow cyclists on interstate highways (the same as a motorway?) either. 45mph minimum speed limit, assholes.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Someone passed me while I was doing 35 in a 30 the other day. I didn't brake check them while they were tailgating me, and I didn't challenge them or speed up to block them from moving back over once they were in front. Know why? I'm not the loving road police and I don't get much out of punishing other people.

I'd like to say I'd drive the same way without a camera in my car, but it's an extra little incentive to not be aggressive on the road. If you ever need to pull tape, it's always better to show you weren't driving like a twat. Personally - and this is sort of a "polite society is an armed society" argument - I feel people wouldn't do half the stupid poo poo they do if they knew a decent amount of people were running video. I'd like to get a 'smile you're on camera' bumper sticker to at least keep the idiots from being idiots around me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I just remembered another rear end in a top hat two nights ago.

I was doing about 80 in the left lane, a big lifted Chevy pickup with the Honda powersports logo and "HONDA" covering his rear window apparently didn't like it, because as I was about to pass him he changed lanes in front of me and spiked his brake, I went around him, and he floored it to keep up with me and swerved into my lane at me (but I was already ahead of him before he got over into my lane enough to actually hit me)

It was pretty much just the two of us on this stretch so I don't know what the gently caress his problem was, but there was no lack of room to avoid him. I guess his window banner was more of a "This is what I attack" than "This is what I like" since I was on the VFR.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Honked at a guy about 15 times this morning. His side mirror was positioned perfectly for me to see his face so every time he looked down and took his eyes off the road I honked my horn until he looked up again. 15 times. Put your loving phone down and pay attention to what you're doing, dickhead.

Then when I got to the daycare center to drop off my kid the entrance was blocked by someone parked in a space that's not a parking space. Then when they move I get in and find another parking space blocked by a truck that decided to back in to a space next to it that is perpendicular to the space I wanted to pull in to, so half of his truck bed was in the space. Finally, as I'm leaving, some dumbass is getting her kid out of her car, she's parked next to the malparked truck, right in the middle of the lane. Not a parking spot. So I rolled down my window and said "That's not a parking spot!" to which she replied "I know. Thanks." and continued to extricate her kid from the car and walk him in to the daycare center. All the while these 3 malparked cars are close to the building, 50 feet away there are 10 perfectly good empty spaces.

loving people.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 6, 2016

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

kastein posted:

I think you might have some issues that would be better discussed with a psychologist.
It's a good thing I see one on a weekly basis in that case. And before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license. My next evaluation is scheduled for 2018.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Deedle posted:

I tend to not give a poo poo about suicidal cyclists, in the end they will move the gently caress over, or brake.

Someday, you're gonna put a cyclist in the morgue and end up spending a few years in prison over it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deedle posted:

Gonna guess you left out the part about intentionally causing the accident.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Anyone care to come up with some good red text for the new guy we share a thread with?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Road Rash ain't a game, it's an instruction manual."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

EightBit posted:

Anyone care to come up with some good red text for the new guy we share a thread with?

Deedle posted:

before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license. My next evaluation is scheduled for 2018.