Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

YeahTubaMike posted:

Relatedly, coworkers who insist of talking every little thing out instead of sending a Slack/Hipchat message.

I don't know what either of those things are, but I vastly prefer talking to people about work stuff face to face ebcause a) they can't ignore your question or take forever to answer and b) you can get a better sense of whether they are bullshitting you or not. Like if you ask them how a project is going and they start uncomfortably shifting around and refusing to make eye contact you know they've been dicking around and are scrambling for excuses, whereas with a message/email they can carefully craft it to disguise their incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Indolent Bastard posted:

Because the kids crush your ability to care. You start out caring, but after a decade they smother that spark, and you just wish they'd all go away.

When one starts feeling this way, it's time to get out. You can't just teach the kids who care, you have to teach all kids, even the poo poo heads, as long as they are on your roster. Meanwhile, of course you have to fight for all of the supports you can so that you can actually do your job successfully. Thank you, CTA.

Whenever I encounter a student teacher who just loved school when they were a kid, I always brace myself for the inevitable falling out. Certainly loving and being enthusiastic about your subject helps, but unless you are willing to implement strategies that support all kinds of students, you're going to frustrate yourself. Teachers like this I often see going into AP because at least they are guaranteed a certain amount of students who want to be there. And that's fine. If you want to teach, there's always a place for you in some capacity. It's just if you had any romanticized notions about having deep conversations about your subject with 40 + high school freshmen, with a special Ed cluster, one kid on an abeyance contract, kids with truancy issues and a cluster of repeaters, well, I feel sorry for you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't know what either of those things are, but I vastly prefer talking to people about work stuff face to face ebcause a) they can't ignore your question or take forever to answer and b) you can get a better sense of whether they are bullshitting you or not. Like if you ask them how a project is going and they start uncomfortably shifting around and refusing to make eye contact you know they've been dicking around and are scrambling for excuses, whereas with a message/email they can carefully craft it to disguise their incompetence.

Slack/Hipchat is like AIM for offices.

I understand why talking to people about stuff face to face is SOMETIMES better, but if I send you the IM "What's 2 + 2?" you don't need to walk across the whole damned office, tap my shoulder, have me remove my earbuds, and tell me "Four". If I ask a yes/no question that requires no clarification, I don't see the point in coming all the way over to my desk to tell me the answer.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Slack/Hipchat is like AIM for offices.

I understand why talking to people about stuff face to face is SOMETIMES better, but if I send you the IM "What's 2 + 2?" you don't need to walk across the whole damned office, tap my shoulder, have me remove my earbuds, and tell me "Four". If I ask a yes/no question that requires no clarification, I don't see the point in coming all the way over to my desk to tell me the answer.

To that end, you also don't need to IM me thirty seconds after you send an email that I've already responded to to "follow up" on your email. I already sent you the answer, it's been less than a minute, check your email.

You also don't need to email me a question, then call me with the same question ten minutes later, then knock on my door when I'm in a meeting with my boss and another client just because it took me longer than a few minutes to get back to you. Other people are important too, and their problems may even be bigger than yours. Hilariously, if this person had just sent an email to the general legal inbox, she would have had an answer within a few minutes. Instead, she refused to commit her question to email because she was afraid of evidence somehow? It was literally "hey what type of agreement do I need for this." Anyone in our group could have answered it, but she needed the cloak-and-dagger act, and needed the answer RIGHT NOW. To the point where she was willing to interrupt a meeting with the head of my team and the head of another department because I had the audacity to let her call go to voicemail.

She also didn't like my answer when I said, "I can't write a contract for you unless you tell me what you want done and how much you want to spend on it," and threatened to get her boss involved. Um, sorry, but your boss isn't going to magically make me write a blank contract.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ozz81 posted:

While this may be true, the cameras aren't causing the accidents, stupid people following too close or running lights are causing the accidents. It's not the camera's fault that people are clueless morons, despite what retards like YOU think.

It's not a matter of following too closely, you intellectually challenged chucklefuck, it's that it's literally impossible to safely come to a complete stop in 1.3 seconds traveling at 45 mph, and that will result in accidents when someone slamming on the brakes ends up in the middle of an intersection. Jesus christ, the fact that there have been multiple corruption lawsuits and slapdowns from government agencies on red light cameras and the municipalities using them should be a loving clue here, it's not like the goddamn government suddenly decides "oh you know what, we actually don't want this extra source of revenue" over nothing, you bile-spewing poo poo-for-brains scrotumgobbler.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

It's not a matter of following too closely, you intellectually challenged chucklefuck, it's that it's literally impossible to safely come to a complete stop in 1.3 seconds traveling at 45 mph, and that will result in accidents when someone slamming on the brakes ends up in the middle of an intersection.

This sounds like you're proving what he's saying. If you know it's a short light, you should be driving in such a way that you're not going to end up in the middle of the intersection to obey the signal.

One of the things my driver's ed teacher taught me was "let the other guy get the ticket if he wants to do something ticketable". Do they not teach that sort of thing, generally?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I would be fine with all cameras if every loving intersection had the countdown on the crosswalk and every one of them were set for the thing to hit zero, and then instant yellow light. Some around here, the crosswalk counts to zero and you have 10 seconds more of green light. Others, 5 seconds. And some just stay the loving hand so you have no idea how long you have to make that turn or if it's worth it to even try. Then again I want every intersection to have a drat green arrow light.

Peeve: suicide lanes. The gently caress do we have these? They are on two major streets downtown; on 7th ave, heading southbound, from 6am to 9am, you use the usual turn lane as a normal traffic lane. Then from 4pm to 6pm, you can't use the lane at all because northbound uses it as an extra lane. Between those times it's just a turn lane. So gently caress help you if your clock is a few minutes fast or slow.

Peeve: repeat callers. My dad is poo poo for this. He'll call my cell phone, and gives me about two minutes to call back before he calls the home phone. Leaves voicemails at both, which are always "Have Cowslips call me!" And then an hour later another cell call. Maybe an email or two. Now you think this is important, right? No. He wants to ask how I am, how work is going, brag about his new condo and the week vacation he has set for June. He wants to be Facebook friends. I decline every time. Use email, you fuckwaffle! You don't need to hear the sound of my voice every week, you racist poo poo, you didn't mind not hearing it for years after the divorce (that you blamed us kids for, thank you).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why would you assume the driver is expecting a short light unless they go through it regularly?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Murphy Brownback posted:

This. My pet peeve is that I sit approximately 7 feet away from my boss, and she insists on emailing me multiple times for every little detail, instead of turning around and talking to me for 5 minutes like a normal person.

On the rare occasion she does talk to me face to face, she usually will quietly sidle up behind me and just start talking to my back without actually addressing me first. Often when I have my headphones in, so I don't realize someone is talking to me for like a minute.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

You also don't need to email me a question, then call me with the same question ten minutes later, then knock on my door when I'm in a meeting with my boss and another client just because it took me longer than a few minutes to get back to you.

I've been tutoring for standardized tests for nearly a decade now, and I can't tell you how many times students have followed an email/text/phone call progression within an hour or two when they have a question. It's like drat, your test is two months away, relax.

One of these students also had a habit of sending her questions about the homework around midnight Friday, then sending an email to follow up Saturday morning before 8.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

MisterBibs posted:

This sounds like you're proving what he's saying. If you know it's a short light, you should be driving in such a way that you're not going to end up in the middle of the intersection to obey the signal.

How would anyone know that unless they're intimately familiar with that particular light? Lights are usually yellow for a standard length of time, based on the speed limit of the street, yes? Most people can judge, from habit, whether they should keep going through or stop. Some people are idiots/assholes who try to speed through when they shouldn't, or don't pay enough attention. But loving with the timing of the yellow lights is going to gently caress up EVERYONE, not just those assholes, and is obviously going to cause accidents.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

genetic_knockout posted:

This. My pet peeve is that I sit approximately 7 feet away from my boss, and she insists on emailing me multiple times for every little detail, instead of turning around and talking to me for 5 minutes like a normal person.

On the rare occasion she does talk to me face to face, she usually will quietly sidle up behind me and just start talking to my back without actually addressing me first. Often when I have my headphones in, so I don't realize someone is talking to me for like a minute.

I had a coworker who'd just stand there, making no noise at all or any indication he was there, until you sensed someone was standing behind you and turned around. I never knew how long he was standing there. Say something! Knock on my cube wall! Something!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Because the kids crush your ability to care. You start out caring, but after a decade they smother that spark, and you just wish they'd all go away.
Bullshit. My mom's been teaching high school for 40+ years, and she still enjoys what she does. As do most of the family friends who are her age and also teachers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

cash crab posted:

Related, people who craft their entire personality around being aggressively quirky and nerdy are the worst. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but you know those people who buy a lot of Batman merchandise and say "May the Fourth be with you" or just outright say, "I'm a huge nerd!" just bug the crap out of me. Like, I know actual nerds. You're not a nerd because you watched an episode of Star Trek once and didn't want to actively die.

Remember when "nerdy" meant something unpopular and shameful that people had to keep secret or risk derision? Star Wars is one of the biggest pop culture franchises in the world. It's popular with all ages and types of people. It's not "nerdy".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nettles Coterie posted:

How would anyone know that unless they're intimately familiar with that particular light? Lights are usually yellow for a standard length of time, based on the speed limit of the street, yes? Most people can judge, from habit, whether they should keep going through or stop. Some people are idiots/assholes who try to speed through when they shouldn't, or don't pay enough attention. But loving with the timing of the yellow lights is going to gently caress up EVERYONE, not just those assholes, and is obviously going to cause accidents.

I can think of two hosed up lights I drive a few times a day. One has a left turn lane that has a cycle where one set of greens is long and the other is short, the other is just super quick compared to other lights on the same road.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

In addition to the "how would a driver know unless they go through it regularly" point, even if you assume drivers know and are being dumb, saying "DRIVERS SHOULD STOP BEING DUMB" does nothing to solve the problem. Creating a situation where peoples' dumb behavior results in serious problems (in this case car accidents) is generally a bad thing. In this case the solution is to change the situation so that drivers being dumb and not leaving enough space doesn't result in a bunch of car accidents, not to yell "DUMB DRIVERS ARE DUMB!" at a cloud.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

In addition to the "how would a driver know unless they go through it regularly" point, even if you assume drivers know and are being dumb, saying "DRIVERS SHOULD STOP BEING DUMB" does nothing to solve the problem. Creating a situation where peoples' dumb behavior results in serious problems (in this case car accidents) is generally a bad thing. In this case the solution is to change the situation so that drivers being dumb and not leaving enough space doesn't result in a bunch of car accidents, not to yell "DUMB DRIVERS ARE DUMB!" at a cloud.

You're right, saying "drivers should stop being dumb" does nothing. Dumb drivers getting the stick for being dumb drivers isn't exactly raising the needle on my outrage-o-meter, though. The accident causing instigator isn't the red light cameras, it's not obeying the rules of the road in the first place. Red light cameras exist because giving bad drivers a ticket for being bad drivers (they'd appeal if they legitimately felt they were wronged) is better than doing nothing. And if it gives the cities more clink, it's fine by me.

It's like people kvetching back in the 90s about DRM, which was a pet peeve of mine at the time. If you didn't pirate everything and their mother, we wouldn't have had that poo poo. But we had DRM because of lovely people, and we have red light cameras because of lovely drivers.

(for the record, twice ticketed by red light cameras, both successfully appealed.)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
GUAC.

Man I'd really want some GUAC with these chips!

side note- Thank you Apple that it autocorrects GUAC to GUACAMOLE <3

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Also pep/peppy instead of pepper. Or "za" instead of pizza. Sammy/sammich also really bothers me and makes me think less of the person saying it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also pep/peppy instead of pepper. Or "za" instead of pizza. Sammy/sammich also really bothers me and makes me think less of the person saying it.

I like referring to my/other people's jackets as jackies :sun:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My brother got me into the habit of saying "totes adorbs" in a really deep, serious voice. I'm sorry. :shobon:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Guac up my burg bro

Yeah put some chee on the burg too

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Thin Privilege posted:

GUAC.

Man I'd really want some GUAC with these chips!

side note- Thank you Apple that it autocorrects GUAC to GUACAMOLE <3

"Guac" sounds like someone about to puke and stopping themselves.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Americans who try to insert Britishisms into their speech because they watch terrible BBC programming. Stop saying "bloody hell" all the goddamn time like an idiot.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was never quite sure why, of all of these, "guac" bothered me so much, but I think you just nailed it.

See also, "sesh," "vacay," and "cas.'" I think I started to hate these because they became popular at a time when I'd just moved to California, and I only heard dippy valley-girl types using them, and I hated dippy valley-girl types (who, coincidentally, are among the smartest professional women I know; they just sound dumb). When they get going, I just go with it. A few weeks ago I offered some of them some strawbs, which someone mocked me for, which I deserved.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
What is "cas"?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Short for "Casual". Diabeetus took to using it in RP videos a bunch a couple of years ago to piss Slowbeef off :3:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

You're onto something considering the result in both cases is green mushy nastiness :haw:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Henchman of Santa posted:

Americans who try to insert Britishisms into their speech because they watch terrible BBC programming. Stop saying "bloody hell" all the goddamn time like an idiot.

I can't help it, when you watch Jeremy Kyle constantly I unintentionally pick up British slang :( I can't even think of what I've been saying off the top of my head but I know I've been doing it.

I don't say bloody hell though!

E: gonna put on an episode right now jolly good just kidding about the "jolly good"

E2: I hope I'm not doing the rolling r. Being Rrrrussian doesn't help. Jerrrremy Kyle.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 22:22 on May 5, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MisterBibs posted:

One of the things my driver's ed teacher taught me was "let the other guy get the ticket if he wants to do something ticketable". Do they not teach that sort of thing, generally?

They do, but you won't get through to someone like Ryoshtard who likes to evade responsibility for his own stupidity instead of being careful and attentive. It's like someone screaming that they "barely ran a red light" or "didn't cause an accident THIS time" because their heads are so far up their stupid asses that common sense, intelligence, and paying the gently caress attention are completely lost on them. There's an old saying about leading a horse to water that escapes me at the moment...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

Ryoshtard
Can we extend the Rivals pun rule to the rest of the forums?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tendai posted:

Bullshit. My mom's been teaching high school for 40+ years, and she still enjoys what she does. As do most of the family friends who are her age and also teachers.

This made me happy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm starting to get really tired of hearing about people "bending the knee".

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I was never quite sure why, of all of these, "guac" bothered me so much, but I think you just nailed it.

See also, "sesh," "vacay," and "cas.'" I think I started to hate these because they became popular at a time when I'd just moved to California, and I only heard dippy valley-girl types using them, and I hated dippy valley-girl types (who, coincidentally, are among the smartest professional women I know; they just sound dumb). When they get going, I just go with it. A few weeks ago I offered some of them some strawbs, which someone mocked me for, which I deserved.

I won't lie, I laughed pretty hard at strawbs.

Everyone produces unnecessary contractions at my work, as well. "Okay, we'll set a rezzo." "A what?" "A reservation."

Cool. By attempting to save yourself the time of not saying the last two syllables, we suddenly needed a whole other conversation.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

I feel awful because I picked some up during my year in England. :( Sorry, guys. I had British friends.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sammy/sammich also really bothers me and makes me think less of the person saying it.

How about "sanger"?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

How about "sanger"?

That would get a blank stare and a "what" from me. Never heard it in my life.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Agreed when it's an affectation that is done on purpose. The thing is though, if you do watch a lot of UK tv, it just kind of happens and you don't realize it. I curse all day in everything from TJ slang to Serbo-Croation to Cantonese. When you work around people from other cultures, it changes your speech. TV does the same.

This is a long thread so I may have already posted this, but I truly hate it when people can't track two things at once. If my wife is playing with Facebook, she can't hear me at all. I have to keep saying her name again and again and again. I usually yell "Beth" "Beth" "Beth" "Bessy (not her nickname at all)", "Bessy" "Beef(was her nickname as a kid)" "Beef" "Beef!" "Bahgak! (like a chicken)" "Bahgak" and then she answers as if she couldn't hear anything with a "hmm?" How the gently caress can people not track more than one thing. My grandfather routinely played Sudoku with his right hand while doing a Rubix cube with his left, watching a recorded Soccer game with the sound turned off and Polka music playing in the background. He could still carry a conversation just fine. He was 80 years old. He was exceptional but, still, it's not hard to at least say "I don't want to talk to you, go the gently caress away!" Just goddamn say it.

Keep in mind, that I am loud as gently caress and people constantly tell me to speak quieter. I can be heard clearly across a farm yard, about a hundred yards, but my wife just zones out because she's looking at a post about making necklaces. I have really bad mid range hearing loss, but I can still tell if someone is calling me.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

mostlygray posted:

This is a long thread so I may have already posted this, but I truly hate it when people can't track two things at once. If my wife is playing with Facebook, she can't hear me at all. I have to keep saying her name again and again and again. I usually yell "Beth" "Beth" "Beth" "Bessy (not her nickname at all)", "Bessy" "Beef(was her nickname as a kid)" "Beef" "Beef!" "Bahgak! (like a chicken)" "Bahgak" and then she answers as if she couldn't hear anything with a "hmm?" How the gently caress can people not track more than one thing. My grandfather routinely played Sudoku with his right hand while doing a Rubix cube with his left, watching a recorded Soccer game with the sound turned off and Polka music playing in the background. He could still carry a conversation just fine. He was 80 years old. He was exceptional but, still, it's not hard to at least say "I don't want to talk to you, go the gently caress away!" Just goddamn say it.

Eh, some people get super-focused on the thing they're focusing on. I do that. If I try to concentrate on more than one thing my mind just kind of jumps all over the place and I retain absolutely nothing.

If I get tapped on the arm or shoulder or whatever I snap right out of it--maybe try that?

Your grandfather sounds cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I can get being really focused on something, but you can't pretend you don't hear me. Just give some signal that you know I'm trying to talk to you, hold a finger up, something. Pretending like you actually do not hear me is just silly and annoying. 90% of the time if the situation were reversed you'd get your rear end reamed about it.