Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

This doesn't feel accurate, your first Geurrilla Op will always reward an engineer, the first Council Mission will always reward a Scientist. From there if you expand you'll get enough mission chances to get the rewards you're after. Also the game gives you heaps of ways to mitigate bad luck via the Resistance HQ and the Black Market.

Except Elerium Cores, I don't think I've ever seen them on the Market and I've had a run where only a few dropped on corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I kind of feel like abandoning my first Ironman playthrough now that my characters with the Max Payne and Tommy Wisseau voice packs hosed up an ambush and got themselves killed.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I don't know why the bullshit factor in this game angers me so much more than it did in xcom 1, but it really does. In the space of a single mission I was spotted twice through solid, undamaged walls (and lost concealment on the first spot), got critted by a flashbanged advent trooper from the ground floor around 2-3 corners to a guy up a ladder on the roof, ran up to shotgun a guy to death and activated two more pods, and had two squaddies panic from near-misses. In one loving mission.

It really pisses me off when I feel like I'm doing everything right and still losing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

suboptimal posted:

I kind of feel like abandoning my first Ironman playthrough now that my characters with the Max Payne and Tommy Wisseau voice packs hosed up an ambush and got themselves killed.

I did not miss it, I did naaaht- oh hai ayys

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The pod activation game is still so much dumpster trash in XCOM2. I'm very much hoping I can manage to kill it with my mod, as it makes the tactical battles so just, 'awkward'.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

From the Jakeman himself
https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/728200677608939520
:xcom:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ruler aliens have HP pools that persist across missions, huh? They escape after a while (or you escape from them) but whatever damage you did to them stays so eventually you can finish them off. Interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Viper Kings can take a turn after every individual soldier action

quote:

The Viper King’s move set includes:

Choke, an upgraded version of the Bind ability that deals more damage and has a chance to knock the target unconscious
Freezing Breath, a deadly area-of-effect attack that can freeze multiple targets simultaneously
Huge amount of health that will take multiple engagements to deplete
Will summon a portal to flee battle after devastating your soldiers or being chased off
Stalks your soldiers across multiple missions
Rulers take a turn after every soldier action

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Game is too easy then gently caress YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
wow cool glad to know not to buy that

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Let's see Beaglerush find a way to cheese THIS thing!"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I had better get some serious upgrade paths for my soldiers in return for this bullshit.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Speedball posted:

That is pretty much instantly what I imagined the devs saying on reading the description, yes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Will summon a portal to flee battle after devastating your soldiers or being chased off

The ol' poo poo and run

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Maluco Marinero posted:

The pod activation game is still so much dumpster trash in XCOM2. I'm very much hoping I can manage to kill it with my mod, as it makes the tactical battles so just, 'awkward'.

I keep seeing this complaint from some people in this thread and elsewhere and I'm curious what the expected change would or could be. The issue with pod activation is that when you move in to line of sight of a new set of enemies, there are now more enemies to deal with. There isn't any way of making that not happen, as far as I can tell. Whether pods are "activated" or not isn't going to change the fact that if you run up a ranger to point blank an ayy, and there are now new enemies in line of sight, they will be able to shoot you. This is may be a lack of imagination on my part but it seems to me that no matter what the activation rules are, you are always going to want to minimize contact so you can better manage the enemies. I don't see how that would ever go away. I guess maybe the question for me is what would you envision the gameplay to be or how would you prefer the tactical game to play out?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
That's a fair question and I really don't know how to make it better. All I know is that the game is designed to encourage things like flanking, and the ranger is given an entire unique weapon that focuses around high mobility.... and in actual gameplay, daring to reposition without knowing for an absolute fact that there's nothing around the corner is basically inviting disaster. Once you get a phantom ranger or battle scanners it's not so terrible, but often times for any given mission, it feels like the deciding factor in whether or not you walk away with casualities is whether you get a bad pod activation. And that's not what I want the threat to be in a game about shooting aliens.

As for the rulers.... it might be kind of a cool idea if upon breaking concealment, some kinda timer is started for the arrival of a Ruler. Or perhaps the existing mission timers for things like prisoner rescue could be extended or even removed, but with the flipside that now a Ruler shows up to gently caress you over if you take your sweet time. They sound a little bit punishing to be an all-the-time thing, but if deployed sparingly and under specific circumstances, they could spice things up.

A lot of the new weapon ideas still sound incredibly stupid and DND-ish, though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Looks like the real XSouls begins now. :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

I had better get some serious upgrade paths for my soldiers in return for this bullshit.
Killing an Alien Ruler takes them out of your campaign (for they are one-of-a-kind, unique enemies) and gives you a kickass suit of armor that has crazy abilities like flight and scares the poo poo out of lower-rank aliens of that kind.

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/728634122864869376

Also,

FXS_MisterKevin posted:

Alien Rulers don't take turns during the normal alien turn. They only take turns after an action has been taken by a soldier. There might be some confusion about the turns as well. If a soldier dashes, that only gives an Alien Ruler one action despite it using 2 AP for the soldier.
Keep those freezing grenades handy...

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
On one hand, the rulers are going gently caress my poo poo up when they're active.

On the other hand, the DLC will give me a trophy room where I can put up the heads of all the aliens I've ki-wait there are ADVENT heads there as well. :stare:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pods are better than what we had before which was ayy wander around randomly, maybe the odd random clumping. Even when they did charge it was piecemeal. They needed something to organize the ayy in a convenient, balanced and controllable manner, pods is the easy answer while on the surface let them seem like a squad. A nice addition would be if the survivor of a pod reaches another pod, that pod activates, unlike now where they just join another and forget about the whole getting shot thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Exposure posted:

On one hand, the rulers are going gently caress my poo poo up when they're active.

On the other hand, the DLC will give me a trophy room where I can put up the heads of all the aliens I've ki-wait there are ADVENT heads there as well. :stare:

Well, they're not technically human....

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

FXS_MisterKevin posted:

I'm glad you said this because now I get to tell you all something horrible. Selecting End Turn gives the Ruler 1/2 the remaining unused action points, so they get to string together a bunch of actions in a row.

It seems like this DLC's entire design philosophy is "try to cheese THIS Beagle".

edit: oh that was already pointed out

...it needed restating anyway with that piece of info.

Exposure fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 6, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Exposure posted:

It seems like this DLC's entire design philosophy is "try to cheese THIS Beagle".

It also sounds like a terrible idea and not very fun. A mound of HP + they get to act after every soldier turn (or every action?) sounds monotonous as hell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

monster on a stick posted:

It also sounds like a terrible idea and not very fun. A mound of HP + they get to act after every soldier turn (or every action?) sounds monotonous as hell.

Nah, it sounds pretty manageable really. Stasis would be amazing and deprive it of 6 actions, and it sounds like freeze grenades would be similar. Since debuffs last for a turn count rather than an action count pretty much anything like flashbangs or poison would be an effective neuter as well.
The obscene hp is fine because it doesn't come back. it's intended to be a returning nemesis that you repeatedly skirmish until finally being able to bring down that thorn in your side.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, it sounds pretty manageable really. Stasis would be amazing and deprive it of 6 actions
Yeah about that...

FXS_MisterKevin posted:

Stasis is a great tactic, but with Alien Rulers its duration is in terms of their "turns" and not yours.
They're also immune to mind control and domination.

That said he also mentioned they'll run away after taking enough damage and/or having done enough damage to XCOM, so ideally they're tuned so that after X amount of actions they'll default to flee behaviour after ruining XCOM's day, but not outright demolishing it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So what I'm hearing is DoT damage with grenadiers and ammo? Assuming they take dot damage at the beginning of their turn they'll continuously take damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
These dudes sound like a huge chore.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
That seems really loving bizarre to me. "Oh no, I've almost killed them, let'e be sure to give the poor things a sporting chance?"

And yeah, while I like the overall concept of the rulers, their implementation sounds wonky as hell. Both the idea of killing and apparently skinning them to turn into armor (seriously, what the gently caress?) and letting them break the entire game's core mechanics by giving them shittons of free turns for no reason. I've got no problem with tough enemies but that just seems.... bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Annointed posted:

So what I'm hearing is DoT damage with grenadiers and ammo? Assuming they take dot damage at the beginning of their turn they'll continuously take damage.

Yeah, this sounds like a job for the guy with incendiary grenades.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Alternatively, it doesn't matter how many actions they get if their exposure to xcom is a sneaky invisible man spotting them and then sniper rounds peppering their torso. Can't shoot what you can't see after all.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CJacobs posted:

These dudes sound like a huge chore.

Yeah, special unique enemies that show up to gently caress your poo poo up is a cool concept, but the execution here just seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end instead of enjoyably challenging.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's the muton counterattack discussion all over again

(I am a sucker who already bought the DLC pass)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Would Solomon know what I was showing him if it was a picture of fun?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

dyzzy posted:

It's the muton counterattack discussion all over again.

Which turned out to be a non-issue because melee sucked. :bravo:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I keep seeing this complaint from some people in this thread and elsewhere and I'm curious what the expected change would or could be. The issue with pod activation is that when you move in to line of sight of a new set of enemies, there are now more enemies to deal with. There isn't any way of making that not happen, as far as I can tell. Whether pods are "activated" or not isn't going to change the fact that if you run up a ranger to point blank an ayy, and there are now new enemies in line of sight, they will be able to shoot you. This is may be a lack of imagination on my part but it seems to me that no matter what the activation rules are, you are always going to want to minimize contact so you can better manage the enemies. I don't see how that would ever go away. I guess maybe the question for me is what would you envision the gameplay to be or how would you prefer the tactical game to play out?

This is definitely a good question, and I'm not 100% where the answer is, but let me define better the problem and then what I think the solution is.

Right now what you know is that the aliens are organised into pods of 2-5 aliens, which act as a singular group. They activate together, and are dormant until they activate, taking slow patrols around the map.

Except it's not around the map, it's actually governed by an invisible Line of Play. This line is drawn from your squads average location to the objective location. The pods then have placement rules which lock them onto this line of play, as in, a box that they're allowed to patrol inside with a maximum width and depth. If you try to reposition entirely around an objective all the pods will wheel around to follow because of the line of play.

This is also why ghosting a mission doesn't work at all, because as you get closer to the objective, even in concealment, every single pod gets drawn into the objective as the line of play shrinks. As an aside, this is the effect people were observing when they thought pods would 'hear' dashing movements, they're just dragging the line of play.

Add all to this a very monster closet style AI, where once the enemy activates they rush you until they die, unless very strict rules apply, then they run away and find another pod. The game is geared around one pod engagements which you then kill, and then blue move forward to the next engagement, kill, and so on.

Fixing this balance has a few things involved in my mind:

More controlling abilities by default. Right now, so much of your ability set revolves around killing. In a redesign of the skill tree, I'd aim to make weapons have plenty of innate abilities, such as Light Suppression on Assault Rifles, Suppression on Auto Cannons, and more that makes thematic sense with Mag Weapons like cover penetrating rounds.

The idea is that you should be able to stall a turn or two and focus on objectives. Also, gear should be good enough that it doesn't strictly NEED a colonel level soldier to be useful. Right now it's the soldier skills where all the tactically useful skills come from.

Anyway, that's a little bit of the skill side, the other big element is reinforcements and pod AI in general.

If possible, I think this is the way forward:

Remove the line of play. Remove objectives requiring all enemies to be killed. Give the enemy credible patrol routes based on their objective. Lighten the garrison. Activate all pods on contact. Boost reinforcements after contact.

The idea here is that concealment should be able to scout out the map if you're patient, and then decide how to approach the objective. This all probably goes with a more advanced AI, so this is the realm of Wishlist rather than easy to develop, but I'd like to see it go like how I've had MGS5's AI described to me:

Alien Headquarters - off map:
Receives reinforcement requests from mission/garrison control, confirms or denies requests based on available units and importance of mission.

Garrison/Mission Control - on map, boss pod:
Tells all the other pods on map to go based on objective & scouting information.

Squads - remaining pods on map:
Follows orders from Control pod. Only shares sight within the pod, so if another pod engages XCOM it will only be told of a general location to move to.

The idea behind this structure is to make the AI a little more realistic, but also transparent. I envision a research option + Intel spend that lets you tap into their Comms traffic, so you can hear the intent.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now.

I've written down a lot of my ideas and intended implementation here: https://github.com/GuerrillaWar/GuerrillaWar/wiki/Guerrilla-War-Long-Watch

And I'm well aware it will take a lot of time. I may sound like an ideas guy but the fact is this is a plan that will be moulded by playtesting. Cause I can code.

The case may also be made that why don't I just make my own game, thing is I actually feel like the mod in totality is quite doable, I'm drawing up a strategy prototype that leverages a lot of what X2 already has, but actually has tokens on the board mean things. The benefit is I have to do very little content, I think the game is so close and it's just the mechanics that let it down, so I'm a gonna long war it up a bit (only hopefully less 'looooong war')

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

XCom 2 with Shadows of Mordor's nemesis system (and ayys with chav accents when they show up) :getin:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I can see DoTs, guardian overwatches being abused against these guys. Ultimately, you don't need to kill them, it is enough to just force them to run away.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lockback posted:

From a gameplay perspective the new weapons seem cool, but from a setting perspective having literally magic weapons is kinda weird.

It meshes well with all the mystical and adventuring classes in the workshop.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This DLC does not sound fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

monster on a stick posted:

Which turned out to be a non-issue because melee sucked. :bravo:

The workshop is such a great way to fix incredibly basic and obvious things. :allears: