Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Blue Apron et al. do have their pros. My sister-in-law hated cooking because she was terrible at it and had no idea how to learn, but my brother subscribed to Blue Apron for a month and she learned some basic techniques and a small variety of recipes and now she's actually pretty enthusiastic about it. If you were just a little more motivated you could get the recipe PDFs off of the website for free and buy better and more sustainable ingredients yourself for less money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

This is straight up this thread's alley:
http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2016/05/02/what-is-bone-broth/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So you're suggesting that Blue Apron is like a tiny peek at an exotic fantasy world where your parents loved you and taught you how to take care of yourself?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The dog food bowls better not come with cutlery or else I'd really be pissed. If I'm going to eat of of a dog bowl it had better be with my face.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keurigs/Nespressos are dumb

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Picnic Princess posted:

The dog food bowls better not come with cutlery or else I'd really be pissed. If I'm going to eat of of a dog bowl it had better be with my face.

If someone's feeding me out of a loving dog bowl they better be paying me mad cash for their stupid fetish bullshit.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Keurigs/Nespressos are dumb

Bone broth Kcups are probably the worst trendy bullshit I've heard in a while.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

TontoCorazon posted:

God loving drat it I thought you were joking. :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mu Zeta posted:

Wooden boards are fine for charcuterie/salumi plates and cheese. Putting saucy stuff on there is just asking for a mess.

We have these amazing thing called plates that can be made out of a variety of substances such as plastic, metal, glass, or ceramic. I wish I could elaborate further, but as I said before my expertise extends only to cat and fish bowls.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Palpek posted:

Also here's a menu from one of them:

It's basically the next logical step in the 'woah, how unhealthy and disgusting our food is, loving dirty burgers amirite - eat from a dog bowl you piece of poo poo'. Next year they'll be just throwing it all on the floor.

Haha I love the one that's "served on a bed of fried chicken and chips". I like to think there is no plate, they just dump that poo poo straight onto the table.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's something about a bowl of food reminding me of cold chunks of stinking meatpaste in jello sitting on a kitchen floor that just turns my appetite right the gently caress off.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm gonna be honest, the nachos in the dog bowl go so far the other way, that I probably would

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

epsilon-6 posted:

I too would storm out if I went into a themed restaurant that makes their kitschy conceit clear before I ordered, and then they delivered that exact thing I ordered and knew I'd receive.

Jesus Christ.

Edit: I've also been to a couple goon meets, and the sort of people that show up to a bowling alley with their laptops to play Diablo and not talk to anybody should probably be forced to eat out of a dog bowl everywhere they go.

To be perfectly honest I've never eaten at one of these restaurants that tries to get cute with the tableware so I didn't know how much/how little forewarning you get. If it's heavily advertised then I probably wouldn't be ordering it to begin with, but if there's no warning then gently caress 'em.

Also lol at you going to a goon meet

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
You all bitch about the dog bowls, but they made one for men too!
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gift-novelty/man-bowl/10484014.html

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

BattleMaster posted:

To be perfectly honest I've never eaten at one of these restaurants that tries to get cute with the tableware so I didn't know how much/how little forewarning you get. If it's heavily advertised then I probably wouldn't be ordering it to begin with, but if there's no warning then gently caress 'em.

Also lol at you going to a goon meet

I've never gotten anything as egregious as a dog bowl. But the places that have served food on wooden boards or in those miniature metal buckets haven't advertised the fact they don't use normal plates.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

epsilon-6 posted:

I too would storm out if I went into a themed restaurant that makes their kitschy conceit clear before I ordered, and then they delivered that exact thing I ordered and knew I'd receive.

Jesus Christ.

Edit: I've also been to a couple goon meets, and the sort of people that show up to a bowling alley with their laptops to play Diablo and not talk to anybody should probably be forced to eat out of a dog bowl everywhere they go.

This dude was so scarred by a goon meet he stumbled into this entirely unrelated thread with some Vietnam style ptsd and started flailing at the very concept of goons because they don't want to eat out of a dog bowl. And hell, I don't blame him

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

We have these amazing thing called plates that can be made out of a variety of substances such as plastic, metal, glass, or ceramic. I wish I could elaborate further, but as I said before my expertise extends only to cat and fish bowls.

Cheese and charcuterie boards are nothing new and in fact are de rigeur for any place serving charcuterie. Being served a plate of prosciutto di parma would be out of the ordinary.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

If a restaurant is serving food in a dog bowl it should come with an option of being able to order it with one of those bowls that are designed to slow down eating.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have a ball that I put my dog's food in so that instead of inhaling it in 20 seconds from a bowl, she spends 20 minutes rolling a ball around trying to get food out a bit at a time.

Looking forward to restaurants learning about this.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
A kitschy "artisan" burger place that opened up in my hometown several years ago serves all of their meals out of small dog bowls that are barely large enough to hold the burger or sandwich, much less the sides, so it's all just thrown in there with the burger resting on top. By the time it gets to your table, it's just a bunch of soggy fries smooshed under the weight of an overloaded, good-but-not-great burger. If you want to eat your fries, you generally have to hold the burger with one hand while eating fries with the other, because the dog bowl is too small to set the burger off to one side until you've finished about half of it; by that point the burger is falling apart so you're just using a fork to eat the patty, trimmings, and fries anyways and wondering why the gently caress they just don't serve loaded fries instead. The place is also decorated like a knock-off Applebee's and has the standard variety of burgers with no real specialty of their own. I assume the only reason the place has stayed open is because it's one of the few restaurants in town to serve booze.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Make your labels as ambiguous as possible, so nobody knows if it's water full of fat, water that makes you fat, or water effective against fat.

(I'm sure the small print says, but nobody in the target audience is going to read that)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Make your labels as ambiguous as possible, so nobody knows if it's water full of fat, water that makes you fat, or water effective against fat.

(I'm sure the small print says, but nobody in the target audience is going to read that)

I was curious so I looked it up. It's the first one.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

TontoCorazon posted:

There's soup ones, too. Though that's less trendy and more stupid in general.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
So not only is it lovely broth, but lovely broth that tastes like stale coffee at four times the price of a box of beef stock.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They're just normal K-cups, right? For a normal Keurig coffee maker? What if you want more than a single mug of Bone BrothTM?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait, isn't it just a bouillon cube in a kcup?

It's for when you can't manage to boil water I guess.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

http://time.com/3975092/fat-water-bulletproof/

quote:

When TIME’s health team tried the berry and lemon flavors of FATwater, which are sweetened with xylitol, no one could agree on what it tasted like. One reporter thought it tasted “like lotion”; another thought it tasted like the sweet innards of liquid-filled chewing gum; and another said it tasted like “sweetened room water”—a glass of water that’s been sitting out and collects dust or other particulates from the air.

Though you’re not supposed to be able to detect the fat, one writer said: “I feel like something’s coating my tongue in a not-pleasant way.”

Sounds like good stuff. Somebody send a case of it to Lewis Black.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm naming my next pet "sweetened room water"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Another trend that is funny/sad are the various channels that tried to be the next big thing in viral cooking so you get edited videos with voice-overs of "recipes" like Coke float that need 2 products:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miVfSMg4iQ

You can see a new wave of these now that Tasty became a thing. It's hilarious.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Actually that's another trend that annoys me I keep seeing on Facebook. Recipes that seem ridiculously unhealthy which involve mixed ready to eat junk food into a standard recipe and pretending like they re-invented the wheel.

Recent examples I've seen are fried chicken made with crushed doritos in place of seasoning and breadcrumbs. Nutella also seems to be popular among those types of recipes. I've seen pancake wraps with nutella filling and coated in nutella, or nutella sauce spaghetti. The whole trend is depressing seeing adult women going wild for food a 5 year old would dream up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Palpek posted:

Another trend that is funny/sad are the various channels that tried to be the next big thing in viral cooking so you get edited videos with voice-overs of "recipes" like Coke float that need 2 products:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miVfSMg4iQ

You can see a new wave of these now that Tasty became a thing. It's hilarious.

Loving the delivery of the ingredients in this

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

Actually that's another trend that annoys me I keep seeing on Facebook. Recipes that seem ridiculously unhealthy which involve mixed ready to eat junk food into a standard recipe and pretending like they re-invented the wheel.
I feel like any time I go on my Facebook now, I am guaranteed to see a gif or lovely video of someone putting poo poo in or on biscuits that come from tubes and acting like it's a big deal and they really cooked.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i wonder if one could get a lucrative youtube money gig seductively describing the experiences of frozen dinners.

i bet it could be found with less :effort: that i dont have

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Well I just caught up on this thread, and simultaneously love it and am pissed at some of the things I've seen. A couple of thoughts, regarding discussions some pages back:

The thing that pisses me off the most about the mason jar trend is the fact that it started as a simple solution/making something work when you don't have much, or just because it was functional. Like posters talking about drinking iced tea or OJ out of one in their youth. We got this 12 pack of mason jars for 8.99, and we can store stuff in them AND drink out of them! Who needs pint glasses? But now I've seen in stores mason jars, with and without handles, sold with a trendy lable in 4-packs for $20. And they come without loving lids!

And re: trendy coffee: my cousin was visiting last week, and I was showing him around our downtown/main street area. We both wanted a pick me up, and popped into the nearest coffee shop, which happened to be a super pretentious one. I got a drip coffee and he an espresso. The barista was just going on and on about how smooth she could make the espresso. My cousin was just like "ok, cool, but really I'm just going to knock it back". But she just kept tinkering with the machine, brewing one, tasting it, and dumping it out, talking about how she could "dial it in" more. He finally got his shot, and she told him to "give it a taste, if that's not smooth enough I can definitely dial it in more." And then he knocked it back, just like he said he said he would, and was like "that was fine." She seemed a bit irritated.

I mean I get you're a pro barista or whatever and take pride in your work, but sometimes people just want their drat coffee.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I always feel like I have to rein myself in when I start drifting toward some kind of hipster trend. Like I legitimately like some aspects of that aesthetic like denim jackets and old 35mm film cameras, but I feel like charging a premium for that kind of poo poo is kinda useless? Like I can go on eBay and buy actual old poo poo for cheaper than people charge for the same stuff new. Likewise, a lot of these weird food trends and hipster joints can be served just as well for cheaper if you know what you're looking for, unless you're being really specific like trying to be incredibly anal-retentive about the origin of ingredients or something.

I think the best way to put it is that people want the experience of things like rustic or old-timey cool stuff without actually having to put in any more effort than dropping more money.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 7, 2016

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the best way to put it is that people want the experience of things like rustic or old-timey cool stuff without actually having to put in any more effort than dropping more money.

That's called a Renaissance Faire.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Waste of a good pepper.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nothing wrong with eating a raw seeded bell pepper, but is that a paper straw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Nothing wrong with eating a raw seeded bell pepper, but is that a paper straw?

Yeah. Disney's Animal Kingdom has them because they're biodegradable in case assholes throw them into the animal habitats. They're generally good for the time it takes to finish your drink, as they get too soggy and soft to use for multiple refills.

• Locked thread