Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
looks like someones eating fresh in prison

http://www.businessinsider.com/jared-fogle-letter-from-prison-2016-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
He strikes me as more of a Captain America guy because he hates registration

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

A lot of my opinion is uneducated and scrabbled from half-remembered sources, I won't lie about that. For me, the important thing to remember is that living breathing humans wrote this stuff down.

Quite often they had an agenda, even if an entirely innocent one like in Song/Psalm of Solomon/Songs/Psalms. Dude was writing a high brow poem about how nice his woman's titties and rear end were.

When something bad happens, like a drought or whatever, and the tribe finds out later that some guy murdered his brother, they note that down as the tribe being punished for allowing wickedness to flourish. The local Levites can put the social squeeze on a whole community that way, for good or ill.

i agree, i try to get much context as i can about the historical setting and situation around it so i can make sense of what's being said, but of course if we wanna really deconstruct it I believe God can convey meaning through several different levels, reflecting truths relevant to the time of writing as well as personally to the reader in their life.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i agree, i try to get much context as i can about the historical setting and situation around it so i can make sense of what's being said, but of course if we wanna really deconstruct it I believe God can convey meaning through several different levels, reflecting truths relevant to the time of writing as well as personally to the reader in their life.

Which is how the Jewish scholars (influenced by the Greek scholars doing the same thing with their literature) were looking at their ancient texts around the time of Christ. It was all types and shadows and quadruple prophecies.

From a modern Christian viewpoint the Old Testament is just man is born, man sins, man is punished, man repents, man is spared, man is born... over and over again. It's pretty redundant. :)

E: my views are likely horribly informed, but that's why I keep reading stuff!

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 9, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Jennifer Duggar sews on the floor, gets mistaken for Jordyn [Image via Duggar Family Official Facebook]
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3074508/duggar-family-slammed-for-misidentifying-daughter-the-day-before-mothers-day/#7hDe611KVSFb10pp.99

This looks dangerous.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

i'm not sure which translation would best communicate the spirit of the word to my soul, perhaps this is something for me to pray about.

have you tried speaking in tongues?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Me and my brother look somewhat similar and act similarly, so I still get called by my brother's name by my parents, relatives and casual friends. I'm surprised they even got in the right ballpark on that little girl's name. Limiting it to J names certainly helps get you "close enough".

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 9, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This looks dangerous.

I wouldn't be able to remember that many stupid names either

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This looks dangerous.

How have they had like 50 J-named kids/grandkids, yet "Jennifer" was still available?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

How have they had like 50 J-named kids/grandkids, yet "Jennifer" was still available?

Jennifer is a mangled form of Guinevere, some harlot from pagan legend. Hardly a fitting name for a chaste young Christian woman!

E: and a fad name at that. Jennifer wasn't even a given name until after some stupid loving play or something.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 9, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Pvt.Scott posted:

Jennifer is a mangled form of Guinevere, some harlot from pagan legend. Hardly a fitting name for a chaste young Christian woman!

That and the Duggars don't live in the 1970s, they live in the 1270s

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Happy mother's day Mrs Jim Bob

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Blue Train posted:

kids learning to neg so young these days

:boom:

How many tater tot casserole recipes does it have?

drat I hadn't heard details about his crimes before :stonk:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This looks dangerous.

I feel legitimately sad for any female child of that family

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Buttcoin purse posted:

:boom:

One sick gently caress.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

One sick gently caress.

No, 19 times at least.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Thin Privilege posted:

I started getting boobs in second/third grade :stonk:

This is normal for the average goon male.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
just lol if you read the bible and any way other than the way you would read a Harry Potter.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

just lol if you read the bible and any way other than the way you would read a Harry Potter.

I read Harry Potter as if it is the unadulterated written word and will of the LORD

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

God is like Snape... he kills people, but ALLEGEDLY actually cares.

Allegedly.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mdm posted:

I read Harry Potter as if it is the unadulterated written word and will of the LORD

constantly criticizing the terrible world-building?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

donkey salami posted:

This post is great.

Code Jockey posted:

I feel legitimately sad for any female child of that family

The boys have a rad arcade/pool hall/ escape tunnel area to play around in.

The girls got a door to the sewing room.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm sorry that you feel that one of the most influential collected works in world history is worth ignoring.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 9, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm sorry that you feel that one one the most influential collected works in world history is worth ignoring.

Too right! I mean, I didn't like harry potter but people shouldn't knock it's influence on culture

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm sorry that you feel that one of the most influential collected works in world history is worth ignoring.

99.5% is worth ignoring. It may be influential but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth ignoring.

Like a whole book is like x begot y. Nobody cares.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I ship Jobus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Buttcoin purse posted:

Haha, me either.

quote:

When asked why he wanted young children, he replied: "Cause it's what I crave!"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

To be fair, he actually wanted to gently caress old children. 14-16 is way too old for our mods, for example.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

DesperateDan posted:

Too right! I mean, I didn't like harry potter but people shouldn't knock it's influence on culture

:lol:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So did he have sex with any of them or was he just desperately trying to?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I remember from somewhere that Jared slept with a 16yo prostitute in NY, which might have been ok consent-wise with NY law at the time. Not the prostitution part so much, though.

E: he was under surveillance for what, the better part of 5-10 years or something?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

mdm posted:

have you tried speaking in tongues?

i make lots of weird noises when i get lit but that's not really what you mean so no

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

IT'S TATER TOT HOT DISH YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You see as things get older they are less fresh except for the fresh prince he will always retain the same freshness as opposed to the regular Prince, he's dead.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

i make lots of weird noises when i get lit but that's not really what you mean so no

you're a coke fiend?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Crazy Ted posted:

IT'S TATER TOT HOT DISH YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Oh, sorry, if only I had read the comments on the "recipe" on the Duggar Family Blog I'd have already known this.

Hey it's cool how the first screenful of every page of their blog is a quick reference card of all the family members. I bet Jim Bob has a laminated print-out of this in his pocket at all times.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Buttcoin purse posted:

Hey it's cool how the first screenful of every page of their blog is a quick reference card of all the family members. I bet Jim Bob has a laminated print-out of this in his pocket at all times.

He can probably recognize his daughters by smell and the sound they make when they cry.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

mdm posted:

you're a coke fiend?

nah mang i just get weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

I started getting boobs in second/third grade :stonk:
[/quote]

So did I in 3rd grade. My mom made me wear horrible bras that had underwire in them so I'd be sneakily taking them off and sticking them in my desk/backpack at school. That whole loving thing about the daughter swapping is extremely disturbing. When I was 14 I was with a man who was 36 years old. Looking back now it's obvious how easily he manipulated me,poo poo like I'm leaving so I'd beg to him to stay,him demanding sex and me saying no and him doing it anyways while I cried,him controlling everything I did,him alienating me from my family. I put up with that,the screaming,being talked down to,me waking up to him on top of me having sex with me and getting extremely mad if I told him to stop,getting screamed at in public god knows how many times,him hitting and pushing me around. He acted like the whole world owed him something,nothing I ever did was good enough and he never appreciated me. One time I lost a bic lighter of his,I told him I'd buy him a new one but it didn't matter. He screamed,ranted and got up in my face screaming all over a bic lighter. A friend of ours finally found it in their car later that evening. I didn't get an apology. The worst one was him pushing me down and standing over top of me with his fist raised. I just knew he was going to punch me in the face and the only reason he didn't is cause a neighbor of mine stopped him. I told him to leave,he refused. I had huge,nasty bruises from neck down where he pushed me down and I hit the coffee table,an inn table and a small trash can. I even had hand print bruises on my boobs. Maybe 3 days after that I wore this real pretty dress I have,it wasn't short it went past my knees. We had friends over and he pulled me off to the kitchen to tell me I looked like a whore and I just wanted to show out in front of a male friend that was there with his gf. So he made me go change clothes. When I came back out changed our friends were like "Why did you change?" and all I could do was point to the kitchen where my ex was. He would get very angry if I spent time with female friends of mine. I was with him for 12 years,he left me last year when I was 26 and never gave a good reason why. At first I had some really nasty thoughts like "I got too old for him" or "I finally developed my own personality and he couldn't control me as much". But then it hit me that I was finally free to be who I really am. I could do,say,wear,go anywhere and hang out with anyone I wanted. You have no idea how that kind of freedom feels. My new bf is a wonderful guy,who knows exactly how I got treated cause he say my ex do some of the poo poo I described, and he won't even raise his voice to me and he gets so pissed off at my ex cause I'll flinch and go on cause I'm still scared of getting hit even though I know my new bf would never do it. I still apologize constantly and ask him all the time if I've made him mad caused I still haven't gotten over having to live in fear and walk on eggshells constantly.

I feel so bad for those girls cause they're probably in for that kind of life but add in the religious garbage. They will never really have a life. They'll just exist. :smithicide:

• Locked thread