Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It checks.
Raw onion makes you stronger.

http://www.ergo-log.com/onionjuice.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes if I'm doing a particularly hard workout my clothes will start to smell like ammonia, and then I discovered that's what low-carb people smell like all the time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
i hurt today

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Yup just did my back and ran a couple miles, now I'm eating raw cookie dough and salami. I'm trying to put on weight so I don't give a drat!

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Does anyone run? I used to run, but i stopped since i started oly lifting because it's supposed to ruin your gainz, but I feel like such a lazy slug. I want to start running again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jeff smisek posted:

Does anyone run? I used to run, but i stopped since i started oly lifting because it's supposed to ruin your gainz, but I feel like such a lazy slug. I want to start running again

I bike for 20 minutes after, I think unless you are tree stump neck level it's not gonna matter to ur gainz

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lemming posted:

I bike for 20 minutes after, I think unless you are tree stump neck level it's not gonna matter to ur gainz

This. Unless you don't like, lift and then go run a marathon, I think you're good.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

I do about 10-20 minutes after every set or two. Great that sweet lacquer of sweat goin on, as soon as I dry off I get right back on the treadmill till I'm sweating again. I prefer to jumprope after I get the first run in, but I can only do it when certain managers are in PF. It sucks, like why can't you just let me jumprope when I'm the only one in there at 3-5am? Whatever, rules are rules.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hey bros, what are some good stretches to help with tightness in the really low back area? Sort of bending over and tilting my hips helps a little but I feel I need a better stretch sometimes. After my last dead lift shenanigans, on top of having to pack 20+ pound coils at work 4 days in a row, I had almost thought I injured myself, but it was definitely just tightness. The only stretch I know of is where you grab a solid base and do a sort of squat where you tuck your rear end in, but it isn't all that great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The weather has turned nice now as summer rolls around. My garage gym which was kept nice and cool by the lovely weather making it a pleasant place to work out is now becoming a sweatbox. Boo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm hurting today

But I'm not hurting enough

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hey bros, what are some good stretches to help with tightness in the really low back area? Sort of bending over and tilting my hips helps a little but I feel I need a better stretch sometimes. After my last dead lift shenanigans, on top of having to pack 20+ pound coils at work 4 days in a row, I had almost thought I injured myself, but it was definitely just tightness. The only stretch I know of is where you grab a solid base and do a sort of squat where you tuck your rear end in, but it isn't all that great.

Lay on your back with your feet flat on the ground, then lean your knees/legs to one side and reach with your arms out to the other side. Do both sides. You can also put more pressure.

You can also increase the stretch by bringing the foot on the side you're leaning your legs towards over your other knee and pushing towards the ground.

I also find that a lot of hamstring stretches also stretch my lower back a good bit to. So comma sit on the ground with your legs straight out and reach down, bring one they can have one leg out and stretch down, that kind of thing. Also, when you're in that one leg in one leg out position you can twist to either side and reach out with your hands out behind you to stretch.

Hope that helps.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
What is going on with my lifting goonswole hivemind?

I'm doing the StrongLifts 5x5 plan but I'm starting to add on 10 kg on my squats per session, and it's hurting less and less every time. On Monday I did 60kg, couldn't walk afterward, struggled to get through the other exercises, needed painkillers the next day to sit down. Did 70kg on the Wednesday, could walk after with some pain, didn't need anything to get through Thursday. Missed Friday due to illness. Came in today, did 80kg, I'm not even loving feeling it. It's like I didn't even do them. But I remember they were deep fuckin' squats, probably the first time I've seriously struggled on the lifts. I can tell that it's gonna be DOMS out the wahzoo tomorrow but right now I'm just... like... there's no pain. Why is there no pain? Also my shoulders are starting to look seriously okay and I'm starting to develop real pecs for the first time in my soft, flabby life, I'm not used to looking in the mirror and seeing visible progress.

Is this normal for the early stages? Am I gonna hit the 5x5 100kg squat mark on Friday?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

jeff smisek posted:

Hill sprints own. do HIIT.

Cardio ruining your gains is one of the oldest and dumbest bro science myths. good cardiovascular health helps with gains and boosts recovery.
Also makes you not a useless blob of muscle and fat, which is only good at lifting a piece of metal a few times and then needs to sit down for 5-10 minutes.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Roll and stretch your glutes/hips, Google pigeon pose

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Metanaut posted:

Hill sprints own. do HIIT.

Cardio ruining your gains is one of the oldest and dumbest bro science myths. good cardiovascular health helps with gains and boosts recovery.
Also makes you not a useless blob of muscle and fat, which is only good at lifting a piece of metal a few times and then needs to sit down for 5-10 minutes.

I'm lean af and my heart is in great shape (according to my fat doctor) and the nearest thing I do to cardio is supersetting some curls.

If you work at a reasonable pace in the gym there's no reason to do cardio beyond enjoying it (I do not).

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

The heart is a muscle and it needs a workout that can target it specifically, this is cardio. Also running has made my legs solid so I'm cool with that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I lift with my heart.

All the tests I had (due to an unrelated potential condition that turned out to be nothing) said my heart is super healthy and strong. "Cardio" is a myth. All activity is beneficial for cadiovascular health.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do the exercises that you enjoy and give immediate visible results.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This thread sucks now, somebody post a cool GIF or cartoon.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

notZaar posted:

Yeah stop talking about running and stretching stupid little bitches

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Here are the ones we have people do at my sports med clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
50 more check ins and I can get a free smoothie at the smoothie bar!!!!!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
If I'm lifting before eating in the morning should I take BCAAs to stop my muscles falling off or are the supposed catabolic effects bullshit?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Pesmerga posted:

If I'm lifting before eating in the morning should I take BCAAs to stop my muscles falling off or are the supposed catabolic effects bullshit?

Apparently it's bullshit. The study that everyone gets that from was wrong. It's like eating sugar.

Then again maybe the new idea is wrong. No one knows. Your body is a beautiful mystery.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

"Cardio" is a myth.

Lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

Gains, Inshallah.

http://i.imgur.com/S5Zmy3G.webm
http://i.imgur.com/YuoXr2t.webm

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Doing 5x10's at ~60% weight feels almost the same as HIIT for me in terms of getting my heart pumping. But I've been meaning to get some HIIT in once a week.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

rest day fellas

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

Doing 5x10's at ~60% weight feels almost the same as HIIT for me in terms of getting my heart pumping. But I've been meaning to get some HIIT in once a week.

Weightlifting by definition is high intensity interval exercise.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Dum Cumpster posted:

Apparently it's bullshit. The study that everyone gets that from was wrong. It's like eating sugar.

Then again maybe the new idea is wrong. No one knows. Your body is a beautiful mystery.

Thanks mate, I won't bother with spending more money on supplements. :)

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Pesmerga posted:

Thanks mate, I won't bother with spending more money on supplements. :)

Np. I just bought a tub myself a month or two ago. At least I enjoyed some fruity drinks while I worked out.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Me erryday

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Np. I just bought a tub myself a month or two ago. At least I enjoyed some fruity drinks while I worked out.

I buy one every once in a while because my trainer gets a kickback from it, and I got my training kinda cheap.

About to run out of watermelon flavor, thank god.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Some people need someone to yell at them every week to motivate them.

True story.

• Locked thread